Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Relief from sprinkler head

JudgeSmails

Quick question. Today i hit a drive in the fairway...the ball was not on the sprinkler head, but when i adressed the ball, my left foot was directly on top of it (and it was down about 6")...am i allowed relief for my stance? I wasn't sure at the time, so I played it as it lied, but if allowed, certainly would have preferred a better stance....thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Yes, you get relief if it interferes with your stance. Similar to a cart path.

Here's a link to read more about it:

http://www.barryrhodes.com/2013/09/relief-from-greenside-sprinkler-heads.html?m=1

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Yes, you get relief if it interferes with your stance. Similar to a cart path.

Here's a link to read more about it:

http://www.barryrhodes.com/2013/09/relief-from-greenside-sprinkler-heads.html?m=1

Thanks jbil....I will know next time now

As above was said, yes you get relief. Would also get relief it if you were near the green (chipping or putting from greenside rough or fringe) and a sprinkler head was in the way of your shot.

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, TM R11S driver. G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I irons, Rac 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

As above was said, yes you get relief. Would also get relief it if you were near the green (chipping or putting from greenside rough or fringe) and a sprinkler head was in the way of your shot.

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, TM R11S driver. G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I irons, Rac 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

If you're referring to line of play relief, then the answer is no, unless a local rule is in place to allow free relief from those situations. Per Rule 24-2a "...intervention on the line of play is not, of itself, interference under this Rule." If the local rule is put in place, the wording normally used is in Appendix I, Section 4, Obstructions.

If you're referring to line of play relief, then the answer is no, unless a local rule is in place to allow free relief from those situations. Per Rule 24-2a "...intervention on the line of play is not, of itself, interference under this Rule." If the local rule is put in place, the wording normally used is in Appendix I, Section 4, Obstructions.

If a sprinkler head is in front of me and I'm going to putt the ball I get relief, no? I'm not forced to chip it

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

If a sprinkler head is in front of me and I'm going to putt the ball I get relief, no? I'm not forced to chip it

Only if the sprinkler head interferes directly with your stance or area of your intended swing, otherwise there has to be a local rule in place to also allow relief for line of play.

Guess I've always dealt with it in a local rules setting and assumed it was an official rule.

Guess I've always dealt with it in a local rules setting and assumed it was an official rule.

It's possible that your home club has it as a local rule. You should check with them.

Is this cause for celebration?   :lol:

It was obviously a thinly veiled brag :)

I believe Happy Gilmore, play it as it lies!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Only if the sprinkler head interferes directly with your stance or area of your intended swing, otherwise there has to be a local rule in place to also allow relief for line of play.

+1 on LobWedge's comment

The Dude abides.

WITB:

PXG 0811 9 degree

Tour Exotics 3 Wood

Srixon 5 Wood

PXG 0311 5-PW

Miura K Wedges 52, 56, 60

PXG  Center Shafted

:travis-mathew-1: Golf Shirts (on me, not ITB!)

In this case yes you would be forced to chip it. I've never heard of a local rule to move the ball because the sprinkler is between you and the hole. The only time would be if you would hit the sprinkler with your club during a normal swing with your intended shot,, or if you were standing on top of it. You cannot fudge the swing or club to make it so you get relief.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

In this case yes you would be forced to chip it. I've never heard of a local rule to move the ball because the sprinkler is between you and the hole. The only time would be if you would hit the sprinkler with your club during a normal swing with your intended shot,, or if you were standing on top of it. You cannot fudge the swing or club to make it so you get relief.

I took relief from a sprinkler head that was between me and the green once, but that was because it was sprinklering.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I took relief from a sprinkler head that was between me and the green once, but that was because it was sprinklering.

Except for those really hot days, then you play it where it is and get relief from the sprinkling water

Except for those really hot days, then you play it where it is and get relief from the sprinkling water

I have had sprinklers pop up at the most inopportune time!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have had sprinklers pop up at the most inopportune time!

We used to close down the course on Friday night years ago and there were times when it wasn't even close to being dark we would have an hour or so of light, and all the sprinklers would come on, we would just try to stay left or right of them and if you happened to be next to one, you'd wait until it was spraying the right way and the step in and swing.

We used to close down the course on Friday night years ago and there were times when it wasn't even close to being dark we would have an hour or so of light, and all the sprinklers would come on, we would just try to stay left or right of them and if you happened to be next to one, you'd wait until it was spraying the right way and the step in and swing.

I had to do that at my course early this morning.

My old course that I left last year had water issues.  They had 3 wells, but they couldn't water the entire course at night.  So some holes got watered during the day.  We always had to play around them; it's not one of the things I miss about my old course!  I have been a member of my current course since last October, and the water was turned on in March.  I have played at various times during the day from 8am to 8pm, and I have never seen the sprinklers run at my course.  They must all come on after dark and go off before dawn.  And my new course is a lot greener than my old course.  I don't think I will be going back.

Archived