TESTERS WANTED! ×

Compare Oban Devotion 7 to...

Need collective wisdom (especially from fitters on the forum) on how the following shafts compare to Oban Devotion 7 04 flex. Any knowledge of comparative tip stiffness, overall bend profile, subjective feel, and general experience with these shafts will be very helpful.

1. Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S - 69 gms, 3.4 torque

2. Diamana D+ PLUS 70 S - 71 gms, 3.2 torque

3. Fujikura Fuel 70 S - 76 gms., 3.1 torque

4. Aldila Rogue I/O 70 S - 71 gms, 3.3 torque

The Devotion 7 04 has specs of 75 gms and 3.5 torque.

Thanks for your inputs.

Big Bertha 2014 10.5 N, Fubuki Z 50 Regular, 45.0"
Big Bertha 2014 5 wood 18 (-1 N), Fubuki Z 65 Fairway Regular, 42.5"
Big Bertha 2014 7 wood 21 N, Fubuki Z 65 Fairway Regular, 42.0"
Still Searching for Hybrid
Apex 5-GW, Standard Loft/Lie, TT XP105 R300 +0.75"
Mack Daddy 2 Chrome 54-14 S grind, Standard Loft/Lie, TT DG Wedge +0.75"
Mack Daddy 2 Chrome 60-10 U grind, Standard Loft/Lie, TT DG Wedge +0.75"
Odyssey Metal-X Milled Versa #1, 3 degrees flat, 36.0"

Basically, all low launch and spin shafts...ie high bend point with tip stiff profiles.

The Devotion is probably the pick of the bunch in terms of smooth feel.

The Aldila Rogue I/O is an upper tier shaft in the Rogue product line and falls somewhere between Silver and Tour Silver aka Limited Edition Rogue. Excellent tip stability with low spin.

The Fujikura Fuel (I'd opt for the Tour Spec version) offers slightly better tip stability but at the expense of a tighter firmer feel.

The Diamond D+ is basically a revamp of the ever popular Whiteboard. Low spin and good feel.

Feel is of course subjective, but the Devotion probably tops it followed by the Diamana, Aldila and Fujikura.

Stability (tip to 11") is Fujikura, Aldila, Diamana, Devotion.

Overall, the best buy is probably the D+ as it is standard equipment in a lot of OEM drivers and can be obtained relatively cheaply as a pull, or as an aftermarket purchase.

Basically, all low launch and spin shafts...ie high bend point with tip stiff profiles.

The Devotion is probably the pick of the bunch in terms of smooth feel.

The Aldila Rogue I/O is an upper tier shaft in the Rogue product line and falls somewhere between Silver and Tour Silver aka Limited Edition Rogue. Excellent tip stability with low spin.

The Fujikura Fuel (I'd opt for the Tour Spec version) offers slightly better tip stability but at the expense of a tighter firmer feel.

The Diamond D+ is basically a revamp of the ever popular Whiteboard. Low spin and good feel.

Feel is of course subjective, but the Devotion probably tops it followed by the Diamana, Aldila and Fujikura.

Stability (tip to 11") is Fujikura, Aldila, Diamana, Devotion.

Overall, the best buy is probably the D+ as it is standard equipment in a lot of OEM drivers and can be obtained relatively cheaply as a pull, or as an aftermarket purchase.

Thank you, jaskanski...as always, your input makes sense and has proven very reliable for me in the past.

My takeaway from your explanation is that I could use the D+ instead of the Devotion without noticing anything major.  I was fit into the Devotion.  However, the D+ was not one of the shafts tried out.

Before people bring it up, yes, I would go with the fitted shaft and trust the fitter but I am currently taking lessons to correct some swing issues that are resulting in really high dynamic loft.  Just want to get as close a fit to Devotion while I fix (reduce) swing issues. Plan on returning for another fitting in a few months after I get the green light from my instructor.

If you are looking for a pull the D+ and Devo are both great options and can be had easily for under $100. D+ is the more readily available but the Devo isn't hard to find.

If fit for the Devo just look for a used pull, just pay attention to any tipping that has been done.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The D+ would make the most sense in that instance.

Although ... it doesn't really match the equipment you have listed in your signature. The D+ is more or less a polar opposite the Fubuki Z in terms of flex, weight, launch and spin.

I would expect for instance a D+ user to have a strong swing with an aggressive transition and down swing. If that isn't you, then it's probably not the shaft you should be looking at.

The D+ would make the most sense in that instance.

Although ... it doesn't really match the equipment you have listed in your signature. The D+ is more or less a polar opposite the Fubuki Z in terms of flex, weight, launch and spin.

I would expect for instance a D+ user to have a strong swing with an aggressive transition and down swing. If that isn't you, then it's probably not the shaft you should be looking at.

You've nailed the problem on the head.  The fitting for the equipment in my signature was REALLY bad (long story of $ down the drain).  Although I have a very average swing speed, the fitter said I had an aggressive transition and that was the reason for seeing such wide dispersion and spin near 4K with the Fubuki.  The heavier, lower torque shaft has resulted in about 5 mph more ss and smash factor is in the 1.47-1.49 range.

You've nailed the problem on the head.  The fitting for the equipment in my signature was REALLY bad (long story of $ down the drain).  Although I have a very average swing speed, the fitter said I had an aggressive transition and that was the reason for seeing such wide dispersion and spin near 4K with the Fubuki.  The heavier, lower torque shaft has resulted in about 5 mph more ss and smash factor is in the 1.47-1.49 range.

Another thought, I think after some swing fixes, the choice will be something less stout than the Devotion but that is just a guess.  The next fitting in 3 months will be the answer.  Until then, I'll work with something close to what fits my current swing.

I have played both the Devotion 7 and currently have the D+ 70 in my 915 D3. Little lower flight for me with the D+ and a bit more stout. Traded the Devotion and kept the Diamana since it fit me better.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I would contact oban too. I wanted a shaft similar to the fujikura Motore Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec x and they gave me: oban kiyoshi black 65 05 flex, oban tour limited. They do a lot of testing and have info on other manufacturers too, that could help your with shaft comparison.

I am not a fan of the d+ it feels to squirely for my taste

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

The Devotion is incredible and you can find them for "fairly" cheap.  The original Whiteboard always performed similar to my Devotion.  Not a HUGE Rogue fan except for the LE model...haven't tried the I/O version yet!

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

Based on availability in the used market, price, and the fact I needed to make a decision, I went with the D+. Just as jaskanski said, the Devotion feel is really good. It may be the best shaft for me but I'll wait a few months to try and sort out the dynamic loft issues and get fit again.

As always, thanks to all who shared their insights and experiences.

Archived