TESTERS WANTED! ×

What books have you read to help you with your game.

I was just wondering what books have you guys read, if any, to help you with your game. I am self taught(my scores reflect that) and have played for over 20 years. When I do get some extra cash I will get some professional help. ;) . The books I have read are: Peltz's Putting Bible and Short Game Bible and Leadbetter's Faults and Fixes. I just recently picked up Haney's Fix the Yips Forever. I am always looking for extra help and love to read.

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key... - Carl Spackler

• SPY VIP

Bagger Vance. Movie was truly lame, but the book sets such a great foundation for the psychological side of the game.

Although I keep picking the wrong swing from the Field...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Thanks for the recommendation. I will have to pick that one up. I try to read at least one book that corresponds with certain seasons and sports.

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key... - Carl Spackler

• SPY VIP

One of the best books for swings and the manual for PGA Teaching Pro's is called the "PGA Teaching Manual - The Art and Science of Golf Instruction".

It might be hard to find but when it comes to the laws of the swing it is one of the Bible's that ll teachers learn from. It would be a great place to start and give you a foundation many other golfers do not have.

When it comes to the books you buy always check on the right side of Amazon when you do a search...you can get most of the books used (Basically New) for many times less then $1.

I was just wondering what books have you guys read, if any, to help you with your game. I am self taught(my scores reflect that) and have played for over 20 years. When I do get some extra cash I will get some professional help. :) . The books I have read are: Peltz's Putting Bible and Short Game Bible and Leadbetter's Faults and Fixes. I just recently picked up Haney's Fix the Yips Forever. I am always looking for extra help and love to read.

#TruthDigest

Thanks. I just looked for that one on amazon and found a few. My major problem is consistency. Thanks again.

Hogans's Five Lessons. Take it with a grain of salt that he fought a hook his while life and that what he did and what he said was often different, but it is still the best golf basics book out there. I actually think the Stack and Tilt book is another really good one for beginners. You don't need to go all out Charlie Wi style, but some of their fundamentals are very good, as are their explanations.

Ben Hogan's Five Lessons is my favorite. I like the way that he is very technical, but at the same time explains things very simply. I go back to this all the time, especially when something is wrong with my swing. It kind of serves as a "reset button" for me. Plus, its short, you can read it in a few hours, easily.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I visited the local Half Price Book store and found "The Little Red Book" for $1.00. They did not have the PGA or the Ben Hogan book. But I will keep my eyes open for them at the shops and ebay. Amazon has them but I know I can find them cheaper. Thanks again for the recommendations.

Golf at the Top with Steve Williams. There is some great stuff in there regarding the mental game.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

I was able to get Ben Hogan's Power Golf and Five Lessons for $7.95 and the PGA book for $7.99, both on ebay,

I received the PGA Manual today. I did not know what to expect when I ordered the book, I though it was just another book with tips and such. WOW! Was I surprised. It is literally an instruction manual for people that are interested in teaching golf. I have just scanned it right now but there is a ton of info and it looks like some good info too. Thanks for the recommendation. Can't wait to receive my Ben Hogan books.

One of the best books for swings and the manual for PGA Teaching Pro's is called the "PGA Teaching Manual - The Art and Science of Golf Instruction".

It might be hard to find but when it comes to the laws of the swing it is one of the Bible's that ll teachers learn from. It would be a great place to start and give you a foundation many other golfers do not have.

When it comes to the books you buy always check on the right side of Amazon when you do a search...you can get most of the books used (Basically New) for many times less then $1.

This was course material i had to study while at Methodist. By far, the most illogical, broad, random, confusion leading tome i have ever opened and layed eyes upon. I argued with my professors daily over the incomplete garbage that was in that book.

i guess it was a starting point for the pga, but to me far out dated, and incomplete. if people actually attempt to teach out of that book, you will get nothing out of it.

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

They get the ball flight laws wrong in the PGA Manual. By that I mean in real life the initial direction of the ball is determined 85% by the face angle, and %15 by the swing path. Basically face angle determines initial direction and swing path (relative to the face angle) determines spin.

In the manual they say the old way, where face angle determines spin and swing path determines initial direction.

They get the ball flight laws wrong in the PGA Manual. By that I mean in real life the initial direction of the ball is determined 85% by the face angle, and %15 by the swing path. Basically face angle determines initial direction and swing path (relative to the face angle) determines spin.

In the manual they say the old way, where face angle determines spin and swing path determines initial direction.

Dr Wiren had me at the hello - where he states you can only learn 1 of 3 ways and the first thing you need to do is find out what kind of learner your student is.

i am paraphrasing - but thats academia bs!!!

one learns through understanding and proves it by duplication. i dont care how you communicate it through words, feel or pictures, the bottom line is we all learn from ALL three - not solely one of the three.

theres all sorts of little stuff that combined equals one big pile of toilet paper.

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

So is the manual useless? Is there anything good in it?

personally - i didnt find anything that amounted to much - 5% good is overwhelmed by the 95% bad.

if though you'd like to ask specific questions as to topic - i still remember alot from that book and will gladly point out rights and wrongs out of it and help you through it . sort of a stroll down memory lane for me smile.gif

i did like the pictures of hogan/nicklaus in there. prior to youtube, where else could you see stop frames of these swings and compare them.

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Thanks guys. I too noticed a lot of the diagrams and spent some time looking at the swings through the ages.

LOL at the laws principles and preferences - if i remember correctly it was 5 laws 13 principles and 22 preferences ? a bastardization if i ever saw of the golf machine which if you can get through all the unimportant significances homer throws in there.

speaking of TGM i have benefited alot from that little yellow book, much more so than the pga manual, but like bruce lee said - take what is useful and discard the rest - which is exactly what i did.

my biggest frustration with tgm is all that added extra bits. he never goes to tell you "this is whats best" rather "here is everything you could do- now figure it out". just because you can shift planes many different ways doesnt mean squat if your trying to hit the ball in the air. yes its data but random pieces of data with no CLEAR step by step building process makes books of that nature nice but not necessary, and ultimately lead to MORE confusion... just what we need in the golf industry right? lolcool.gif

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

I was just wondering what books have you guys read, if any, to help you with your game. I am self taught(my scores reflect that) and have played for over 20 years. When I do get some extra cash I will get some professional help. :blink: . The books I have read are: Peltz's Putting Bible and Short Game Bible and Leadbetter's Faults and Fixes. I just recently picked up Haney's Fix the Yips Forever. I am always looking for extra help and love to read.

Frankly, after watching Hank Haney screw up Tiger Woods and his disasterous "project" with Ray Romano, I would not read a word he scribbled. Leadbetter has some good short game stuff, but his swing theories are very questionable. Manavs and Jamo have very accurately dissected the bilge that is found in the PGA Manual. In this day and age, I think the best move for most golfers is a good DVD. It is one thing to visualize what you think the author wants you to do, it is even better to see and listen. If you then get a good quality camera that takes hi fps video, you can then compare your swing to the DVD. I encourage you to review the TGM stuff, but I found a blog by a guy named Richie3Jack far more useful than the book. If you really want top quality instruction, I would refer you to either Brian Manzella's website, or if you are in the Northeast, try John Graham or Mike Jacobs. Manzella and Jacobs both have some great videos (I have purchased from both and seen Jacobs in person).

If you really want top quality instruction, I would refer you to either Brian Manzella's website, or if you are in the Northeast, try John Graham or Mike Jacobs. Manzella and Jacobs both have some great videos (I have purchased from both and seen Jacobs in person).

I just looked up that Mike Jacobs, and now I'm really frustrated because he lives about 20 minutes away from where I used to live on Long Island. Too Bad. :blink:

• 6 months later...

I have been reading the 'Impact Zone' by Bobby Clampett.There is some good stuff in it.I also read Stack and Tilt ,there is some good stuff in there as well.You have started in the right place by asking the forum.

They will steer you in the right direction.Hope this helps Dave

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

Archived