Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What books have you read to help you with your game.

I read Dave Pelz putting bible.

The key takeaway for me is to try and master long putts to avoid 3 putting. There was also a little about chip-putting, which helped me a lot on long uphill putts.

I'm not a fan of straight back and through putting stroke which Dave Pelz advocates. I'm also not so convinced using his method of reading breaks result in more putts made. For me I have better luck just feeling and visualizing the path and speed which the ball should take when tackling breaking putts. I realize my misses would be much less severe, and I make more than my fair share of downhill breaking putts this way.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

• 1 month later...

I was just wondering what books have you guys read, if any, to help you with your game. I am self taught(my scores reflect that) and have played for over 20 years. When I do get some extra cash I will get some professional help. ;) . The books I have read are: Peltz's Putting Bible and Short Game Bible and Leadbetter's Faults and Fixes. I just recently picked up Haney's Fix the Yips Forever. I am always looking for extra help and love to read.

I can appreciate you wanting to read and learn. But I will warn you dont read too much it will confuse you. Opinions on the golf swing and method vary and like people they all have you know whats and all of them are different. I have a good friend of mine who reads golf instruction books a lot, watches the Golf Channel and has taken lessons from God only knows how many instructors. He stays confused. I am supposed to play with him Sun after church it will be interesting to see what gimmick he hooked on to this time. As far as instructional things I do refer to Mr Penicks "little red book" and I do review SECTIONS of A.J. Bonnars videos on "The Truth" about golf

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

This was course material i had to study while at Methodist. By far, the most illogical, broad, random, confusion leading tome i have ever opened and layed eyes upon. I argued with my professors daily over the incomplete garbage that was in that book.

i guess it was a starting point for the pga, but to me far out dated, and incomplete. if people actually attempt to teach out of that book, you will get nothing out of it.

I will give you a Episcopal Amen on your statement about that "book". I had to study it way back when I was getting my Class A stuff.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 1 year later...

Hi guys - great thread!! My name is James and I'm the resident PGA Teaching Pro over at Golf Circuit, a new forum sponsor. Here are a few of my all time favorite reads:

Putt Like the Pros
by Dave Pelz. This is a must read for anyone trying to improve their putting. The data that Pelz has gathered is absolutely priceless!

Complete Conditioning for Golf
by Ralph Simpson and Pete Draovitch. It's a little clinical, but the information in here is not to be missed. The 10 minute warm-up routine is one of the most effective I've ever seen.

The Physics of Golf
by Theodore Jorgensen. This is a super scientific read, but if you've got the will to understand the material presented it can open new doors to your understanding of the swing.

The Game Before the Game
by
Lynn Marriott, Pia Nilsson, and Ron Sirak. If you're looking to improve the way you play, you've got to improve the way you practice. This book shows you how.

Check these books out when you have a chance - you'll be glad you did!

Golf Circuit

James, Golf Circuit Resident PGA Pro

MGS_logo_default.jpg

They get the ball flight laws wrong in the PGA Manual. By that I mean in real life the initial direction of the ball is determined 85% by the face angle, and %15 by the swing path. Basically face angle determines initial direction and swing path (relative to the face angle) determines spin.

In the manual they say the old way, where face angle determines spin and swing path determines initial direction.

This is 100% true. The PGA Teaching Manual is outdated to say the least!

Golf Circuit

James, Golf Circuit Resident PGA Pro

MGS_logo_default.jpg

• 2 months later...

Never been one to read a lot of golf books but if I did maybe if someone wrote the following they would be of use:

Gone With The Wind - Always been a classic and maybe the title of a good golf book on the specifics of the effects of wind.

A Bridge Too Far - I did read a story where Moe Norman was playing somewhere and there was a water hazard that was too far to drive over off the tee so he aimed for the bridge, landed the ball on the near side and the ball rolled across the bridge to the other side of the hazard. Could be a best seller. (Again)

The Adventures of Pinocchio – We have all played with someone, somewhere, sometime that is so obviously embellishing their score that there nose should be as long as the putter in their bag. Could be a tome on how to not let it get to you or maybe if you are one of those golfers it could be a step by step guide on how to better conceal the obvious.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes – This book would have many chapters and would probably be a golf bible.

Chapter 1 – The case of the missed lesson. Where did my swing go?

Chapter 2 – The case of the wayward greens keeper. Who put that bunker there?

Chapter 3 – The case of the reverse break. Who stepped on my line?

Robinson Crusoe – The instruction book on how to annoy the crap out of everyone else in your group so that you don't feel like your all by yourself when you slice every drive into the bush, hit every iron fat, land in every bunker (twice each hole), and four putt every green.

Great Expectations – Could be the title of any book that describes everything we thought we could do 2 minutes after learning or even deciding to learn something new. Drive like Jack Brabham the second the instructor signed off on our license. Ride like Kenny Roberts just because we bought a Yamaha. Give mum bad attitude because dad is not home (YET). Box really well because Everlast gloves are available on ebay, and of course make the green with a five iron (eventually).

The Tempest – Probably not a golf specific book but more likely about controlling rage within when that perfectly executed 6 iron shot drifts a fraction left (refer to Gone With The Wind) and instead of plopping nicely on the green and rolling up to the pin, actually ends up plugged in the front of the 6 foot deep bunker (refer to Chapter 2 of Sherlock Holmes) and you finish on a triple after the 3 putt.

I apologise in advance as I am sure the original question was sincere in its intent, but I couldn't help myself (refer The Adventures of Pinocchio).

AJ

P.S I was going to throw in "The Eagle Has Landed" but that would have been a bit tongue in cheek!

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Zen Golf. That book totally transformed my mental game and honestly changed the way I look at a lot of things outside of golf.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

'The Golfing Machine' by Homer Kelley

'The Physics of Golf' by Dr. Theodore Jorgenson

'Mental Toughness - Training For Golf' by Dr. Rob Bell

'Mental Management for Great Golf' by Dr. Bee Epstein Shepherd

I tend to find DVD's and videos to be more helpful when it comes to mass media golf instruction.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

About 40 years ago, I read a small paperback book titled "Swing Easy, Hit Hard" by Julios Boros.

Although I no longer have a copy and can't really remember what it said, I always remember the title and use it to re-focus my game when I am playing below my standard. Just reciting the name of the book allows me to re-focus and to not try so hard. Then my swing follows it's true path and finds the ball in the sweet spot.

From wikipedia: Boros won 18 PGA Tour events, including three major championships: the 1952 and 1963 U.S. Opens and the 1968 PGA Championship. He defeated Ed (Porky) Oliver by four strokes at the Northwood Country Club in Dallas at the 1952 U.S. Open for his first PGA Tour victory. In the 1963 U.S. Open, he defeated Arnold Palmer and Jacky Cupit in a playoff. Boros was the oldest player ever to win one of the four modern major championships with his 1968 PGA Championship victory at the age of 48. His record at the U.S. Open included seven other top five finishes, and he contended in that championship as late as 1973, when he was 53.

Boros was a member of the Ryder Cup team in 1959, 1963, 1965 and 1967. He was PGA Player of Year in 1952 and 1963. His total career PGA Tour earnings were $1,004,861. He was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1982.

While other players often walked around a hole and studied the green for several minutes before putting – sometimes from their knees, Boros is remembered for not wasting any time. He would walk up to ball and "just do it". Noted for his relaxed, nonchalant looking swing and manner, he is remembered for his catch phrase "swing easy, hit hard". Boros had an exceptional short game.

Boros was also instrumental in starting the Senior PGA Tour in the late 1970s. The exciting televised playoff victory of Boros and partner Roberto De Vicenzo over Tommy Bolt and Art Wall, Jr. at the Legends of Golf tournament in 1979 raised the profile of professional senior golf competition.

P.S. the book is still available on Amazon for about $10.... Swing Easy, Hit Hard

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Never been one to read a lot of golf books but if I did maybe if someone wrote the following they would be of use:

Gone With The Wind - Always been a classic and maybe the title of a good golf book on the specifics of the effects of wind.

A Bridge Too Far - I did read a story where Moe Norman was playing somewhere and there was a water hazard that was too far to drive over off the tee so he aimed for the bridge, landed the ball on the near side and the ball rolled across the bridge to the other side of the hazard. Could be a best seller. (Again)

The Adventures of Pinocchio – We have all played with someone, somewhere, sometime that is so obviously embellishing their score that there nose should be as long as the putter in their bag. Could be a tome on how to not let it get to you or maybe if you are one of those golfers it could be a step by step guide on how to better conceal the obvious.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes – This book would have many chapters and would probably be a golf bible.

Robinson Crusoe – The instruction book on how to annoy the crap out of everyone else in your group so that you don't feel like your all by yourself when you slice every drive into the bush, hit every iron fat, land in every bunker (twice each hole), and four putt every green.

Great Expectations – Could be the title of any book that describes everything we thought we could do 2 minutes after learning or even deciding to learn something new. Drive like Jack Brabham the second the instructor signed off on our license. Ride like Kenny Roberts just because we bought a Yamaha. Give mum bad attitude because dad is not home (YET). Box really well because Everlast gloves are available on ebay, and of course make the green with a five iron (eventually).

The Tempest – Probably not a golf specific book but more likely about controlling rage within when that perfectly executed 6 iron shot drifts a fraction left (refer to Gone With The Wind) and instead of plopping nicely on the green and rolling up to the pin, actually ends up plugged in the front of the 6 foot deep bunker (refer to Chapter 2 of Sherlock Holmes) and you finish on a triple after the 3 putt.

I apologise in advance as I am sure the original question was sincere in its intent, but I couldn't help myself (refer The Adventures of Pinocchio).

AJ

P.S I was going to throw in "The Eagle Has Landed" but that would have been a bit tongue in cheek!

I love your sense of humor.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

AJ

I totally missed this, well done sir and welcome to the forums!

Also, no need to apologise [sic], the last thing we want is for the forums to get too serious.

That's wild that you put Kelley's & Jorgenson's books in there...Actually, Kelley's book is in my top three, though I tried to put books that the ave. hdcper would & could read without getting blown away with the technical side...Jorgenson's book is right behind Kelley's...Bell's book is excellent also..That's definitely in my top ten...

Are you per chance a pro or a teacher?...These aren't books that the average golfer would read....

Fairways & Greens 4ever....

Nope. Just a person who wants to play to his best of ability. My link to my blog is in my signature.

Most people get bogged down on the TGM jargon, science and structure and have a disdain of a book based on that. But for me, I look at the idea behind the book as a manual to show a golfer (or instructor) on how to develop an effective golf swing. There's many things involved with the scientific parts I find to be inaccurate, like the Endless Belt Effect stating that the speed of the hands should remain constant in the downswing (they actually accelerate). But for everything like that, there are very valid points and ideas that are very helpful (i.e. how the size of the belt affects the acceleration of the club).

TGM provided me with a different way to think about the swing and understanding feel from mechanics, which is as important as anything.

The Physics of Golf provided the invaluable realities of how the ball flies. But it also has swing models that again...provide a different way of thinking about the swing.

Of course, I have found over time that thinking too much about the swing can lead to problems score wise and even with your ballstriking. The counter is that not working on your swing mechanics will eventually cause my swing and ballstriking to erode and if I let things slip for too long, I then have to spend more time to get things in order.

So there's a real fine balance between working on swing mechanics and being able to 'shut it off' in a round of golf. I'm hoping that as I learn more about the mental and neurological side of golf, I can figure out the best way for me to approach the game in practice and in playing rounds of golf.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "The Art of Scoring" by Stan Utley - I've read the Pelz short game stuff - I'm odd (in all sorts of ways) because I generally love Pelz but he's an engineer his books are very complex for my way of thinking - Utley really simplifies the short game.

I highly, highly recommend this book - best of all he recognizes that his way isn't the only way - he's trying to teach the simplest way to do it is all.

Good luck with your game.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I forgot to mention 2 other books:

"The Search For the Perfect Driver" by Tom Wishon

"12 Myths That Could Wreck Your Game" by Tom Wishon

I was always under the assumption that the there was a 'hot spot' on the driver that was on the upper level of the face, towards the crown and a little towards the toe. Wishon explains why that is a fallacy and that along with other things not only helped me better understand clubfitting, but actually helped my own game.

12 Myths is free and can be found at http://www.golfstudio.ie/myths.pdf

3JACK

Archived