TESTERS WANTED! ×

Have you purchased based upon the Product Reviews?

fozcycle

I'm with Bigtazz, I read a lot of reviews as a guide line before I decide to make a purchase, but ultimately they need to feel and look good in my hands. I definitely plan on purchasing a box of Snell MTB balls, hearing many positive feedback about these balls.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live so far away from anywhere that I could just go in and test stuff that I do research online to make my test trips more focused. I don't always choose the "most wanted" or "gold medal" winner in the hot list, but I will look at the ones that were sneaky good or that could have tested better if [reason] happened. Big Bertha Alpha was top ten in the most wanted testing despite having limited options. It outperformed everything (wish I would've tested Nike).

At the end of the day it's a jumping off point, not the be all end all.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Let's see Birdie Ball greens: check

Tina putting tool check

Wilson Duo Urahnes are now my go to ball.

So yes, the reviews always help.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Few of the things I've bought are: Tour Tempo (app and books), Ping TR, SC 100, just to name a few..

One of the reviews that I really appreciate are the golf bag reviews - they're extremely detailed and have bags that I wouldn't consider like the Wilson Nexus, for one.

I haven't made a lot of golf purchases, but all the purchases I have made have been made after reading reviews. My Bushnell range finder, golf pride grips and my Wilson DUO U's. Going into a store with some pre education always helps my final decision. It's easy when you only need to worry about personal preference and feel.

Driver:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 13 Degree
3 Wood:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 15 Degree
5 Wood:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 18 Degree
4th:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 22 Degree
5-P  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4
Gap:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Sand:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Lob:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Putter: Directed Force "Reno" Putter

Well, I just ordered a Projekt Kozmak golf bag based on the Most Wanted Stand Bag reviews. There's not a lot of information out there on these bags, so I'm really trusting the MGS ratings. I don't know that I 100% buy equipment based on reviews but they do give me a much better idea of what I'd like to try, so when I go to a golf store, I have an idea of what to expect.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Well, I just ordered a Projekt Kozmak golf bag based on the Most Wanted Stand Bag reviews. There's not a lot of information out there on these bags, so I'm really trusting the MGS ratings. I don't know that I 100% buy equipment based on reviews but they do give me a much better idea of what I'd like to try, so when I go to a golf store, I have an idea of what to expect.

Let us know how you like it when you get the bat and use I have been looking at it as well. Thanks.

I definitely will. I may even do a full review at some point.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Echo the 'read a lot of reviews and do online research, then test/demo in a store'...!!!

And then .. I've acquired this year...

• Tour Tempo books/training aid
  • DST Compressor wedge training aid
  • Cobra F6 irons

and am ordering a trial set of...

• TK 15 wedges

and will try in the future after I 'run dry'...

• Snell balls, prob the Get Sum 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Oh, oops, to answer Foz's initial question: Yes!

Reading reviews from regular, amateur players - who describe their game; the good and the bad - and so give such a great "context" with which one can then judge the suitability of the product to their own game and style.

Certainly, cute taglines like "pick your distance" or like "fast and forgiving" cannot really do much to help indicate if this or that products fits into _my_ game.

So, yeah THANKS! to the MGS contest winners and forum members - and staffers - who use their personal time to write up actually useful information!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I did get a Leupold range finder based in part on the Most Wanted test and generally have been pretty happy with it. I've been using Bridgestone B330RX for a long time but I did find a Snell ball on my course the other week (it has since found the graveyard in the weeds). The last big piece of equipment I purchased was a Scotty Cameron blade, but that was based on a fitting at my course and not Most Wanted because, obviously, SC blades don't seem to stack up that well.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0*. (Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65)

FW: Cobra F9 3W (MC Diamana RF 60)
Hybrid:
Callaway Apex 19 2H (KBS - 85)

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4H (MC - Kuro Kage 80 HY)
Irons: Callaway XR Steelhead 5I - AW (Project X 6.0 Steel)
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* Standard; PM Grind 58* (Project X 5.5 Steel)
Putter: Odyssey Toulon - Atlanta (35")
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro-V1, Whatever is in the Weeds
Resident of Southern California

Echo the 'read a lot of reviews and do online research, then test/demo in a store'...!!!

And then .. I've acquired this year...

• Tour Tempo books/training aid
  • DST Compressor wedge training aid
  • Cobra F6 irons

and am ordering a trial set of...

• TK 15 wedges

and will try in the future after I 'run dry'...

• Snell balls, prob the Get Sum 

Be sure and post your comments as well as pix of the clubs you bought.........especially the "Trial" set of Hogan TK15 wedges.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Oh, oops, to answer Foz's initial question: Yes!

Reading reviews from regular, amateur players - who describe their game; the good and the bad - and so give such a great "context" with which one can then judge the suitability of the product to their own game and style.

Certainly, cute taglines like "pick your distance" or like "fast and forgiving" cannot really do much to help indicate if this or that products fits into _my_ game.

So, yeah THANKS! to the MGS contest winners and forum members - and staffers - who use their personal time to write up actually useful information!

The personal information in the reviews came as the result of suggestions from forum members. I agree that it's extremely helpful. There are lots of guys here who I respect and enjoy but their games are radically different from mine. Through the background info I've been able to pinpoint the people whose games are similar to mine.

So if Plaid Jacket or Big Stu or Kenny is posting something about equipment that works I'm looking very hard at that product.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The personal information in the reviews came as the result of suggestions from forum members. I agree that it's extremely helpful. There are lots of guys here who I respect and enjoy but their games are radically different from mine. Through the background info I've been able to pinpoint the people whose games are similar to mine.

So if Plaid Jacket or Big Stu or Kenny is posting something about equipment that works I'm looking very hard at that product.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks Rev, but I wish my game was similar to yours!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Everything i buy is based on reviews. I can't say I've bought anything from reviews here but I read them and tuck away the info for when it's time to buy.

Sent from my SM-G920P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Snell My Tour Ball. A dozen just to test them out. When I am through with them, I anticipate taking the plunge on the 6-dozen deal. 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I'm one of the unfortunate ones that can't go out and try my equipment because there is no place for me so I depend greatly on the reviews I read and this site has got me playing equipment I never knew existed. My TourEdge exotics driver, CB 4 3 wood and 3 hybrids. My Snell MTB ball. This site has helped me tremendously and I truly appreciate having it.

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I'm one of the unfortunate ones that can't go out and try my equipment because there is no place for me so I depend greatly on the reviews ...

FYI:

A few manufacturers are starting to offer online ordering of a 2 or 3 week trial of a limited set of clubs.

Two that I've found and used this season:

• Wilson - three irons for $10 (I tried the C200s and loved them but then ended up with Cobra F6s)

• Hogan - two wedge set for $20 (you can also trial their irons)

In both of these cases the price paid included a return shipping label. The only downside is very limited to no customization options.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Not as yet but have been especially interested in the ball reviews and have looked into purchasing some. I like the boutique, style of these companies and which originally got me playing Srixon balls when they first came out. Maybe a new ball could be available based on my interest from the reviews here.

FYI:

A few manufacturers are starting to offer online ordering of a 2 or 3 week trial of a limited set of clubs.

Two that I've found and used this season:

• Wilson - three irons for $10 (I tried the C200s and loved them but then ended up with Cobra F6s)

• Hogan - two wedge set for $20 (you can also trial their irons)

In both of these cases the price paid included a return shipping label. The only downside is very limited to no customization options.

I was talking about the lack of demo days and companies that actually come in my neck of the woods. I mean, ping only came once in the 5 years I've been going to demo days. Maybe I'm grasping at straws here but would love to see companies like TourEdge and Wilson staff around here. Geez even Nike don't come. it's a real bummer

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

I was talking about the lack of demo days and companies that actually come in my neck of the woods. I mean, ping only came once in the 5 years I've been going to demo days. Maybe I'm grasping at straws here but would love to see companies like TourEdge and Wilson staff around here. Geez even Nike don't come. it's a real bummer

Are you in NJ?

No just a huge Devils fan. I'm in New Brunswick, Canada

Absolutely. What a great trade plus Schneider in the pipes I think we can make the playoffs.

I might not purchase solely on product reviews but it definitely alps me narrow down what I'm going to personally test at the golf shop.

Driver: SIM2 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with Ventus Blue 6X Velocore

3WD: MAVRIK SZ

5WD: MAVRIK SZ

3i: Titleist U500 w/ Tour AD 95X

5-PW: Mizuno MP20 MMC w/ C-Tape Lite X 115

52: Mizuno T20 Chrome

56 & 60: Cleveland ZipCore Tour Raw

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 (34"/4/71)

Ball: THE Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've only been a member for about a week, so I haven't bought anything in that time.  But I did say this earlier in the Cobra F6 thread, if I had seen those reviews before purchasing my current irons, they would have gotten a serious look.  

I'm sure going forward there definitely will be purchases made as a result of MGS reviews and feedback.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Be sure and post your comments as well as pix of the clubs you bought.........especially the "Trial" set of Hogan TK15 wedges.

Foz, and all defenders of the SCOR / TK15 empire ;-)

Sorry ... I did not purchase the TK 15 wedges, though the trial was way way waaaaay worthwhile. I liked them, but didn't totally love them, but am keeping them 'on the list' of candidates.

The good:

They are undoubtedly a quality manufactured and finished product. Nice features included their "V Sole" - really does work; the stock KBS shaft is great; the "Tour Velvet" style grip is good; and also nice is the head shaping that makes the face appear square to your line when you open it up.

The not-so-good for me:

To order a trial you go through their online WedgeFit process and .. appear to be .. able to order specific lofts and customizations, like shaft length and extra wraps under the grip. I'd wanted a 54 and a 58 as those are what I play now and was looking to replace. Instead I'd received a 51 and a 59; both stock length and lie. Not that big a deal - I certainly understand it from the business perspective of turning around "rentals" - but on the other hand if you didn't send these back in time ... you bought 'em!

Anyway, I did put the 51 against 50, and the 59 against the 58, both on the range and on the course. These immediately felt quite solid to me and, I guess, "confidence inspiring" in that the ball did fly true off the face and on-line. Easy to hit it high, low, punch, lob, etc. etc.

The 51 did not feel like enough of an improvement over my new-this-year 50 to warrant changing at this time. The 59, though, definitely was, but... I wasn't going to keep and pay for this one since if I'm gonna spend that money then I'm gonna get exactly what I want.

The biggest 'holdback' factor for me - and this is, of course, personal preference - but these wedges have a much firmer feel (of the ball on the face) than what I've been playing and gotten used to.....

A "nice to have", and maybe they have plans for this, would be add'l optional finishes instead of only the bright chrome.

Anyway, there are two or three other wedges I'd like to try before deciding, but like I said I'll def keep these on the list of possible replacements ... and I can definitely well recommend to anyone else looking at new wedges to test these out.

Chuck 

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Thanks much Chuck the surfer dude......around here, honesty goes a long way.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Archived