Have you purchased based upon the Product Reviews?

fozcycle

Oh, oops, to answer Foz's initial question: Yes!

Reading reviews from regular, amateur players - who describe their game; the good and the bad - and so give such a great "context" with which one can then judge the suitability of the product to their own game and style.

Certainly, cute taglines like "pick your distance" or like "fast and forgiving" cannot really do much to help indicate if this or that products fits into _my_ game.

So, yeah THANKS! to the MGS contest winners and forum members - and staffers - who use their personal time to write up actually useful information!

• Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Big Bertha B21 driver (Recoil ES 450/F3)
..Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (UST ProForce V2-HL 5/F3)
..PXG 0211 3H (PX Cypher 50/5.0)
..Callaway Big Bertha 5H (Recoil ZT9/F3)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT 60/A) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
..EvnRoll ER5 or MLA XDream (..Edel EAS 4.0 on the bench)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

• 3 weeks later...

I did get a Leupold range finder based in part on the Most Wanted test and generally have been pretty happy with it. I've been using Bridgestone B330RX for a long time but I did find a Snell ball on my course the other week (it has since found the graveyard in the weeds). The last big piece of equipment I purchased was a Scotty Cameron blade, but that was based on a fitting at my course and not Most Wanted because, obviously, SC blades don't seem to stack up that well.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway XR16 Pro 9.0*. (Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65)

FW: Cobra F9 3W (MC Diamana RF 60)
Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4H (MR - Kuro Kage 80 HY)
Irons: Callaway XR Steelhead 5I - AW (Project X 6.0 Steel)
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* Standard; PM Grind 58* (Project X 5.5 Steel)
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport (35")
Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX, Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro-V1, Whatever is in the Weeds
Resident of Southern California

Echo the 'read a lot of reviews and do online research, then test/demo in a store'...!!!

And then .. I've acquired this year...

• Tour Tempo books/training aid
  • DST Compressor wedge training aid
  • Cobra F6 irons

and am ordering a trial set of...

• TK 15 wedges

and will try in the future after I 'run dry'...

• Snell balls, prob the Get Sum 

Be sure and post your comments as well as pix of the clubs you bought.........especially the "Trial" set of Hogan TK15 wedges.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.pngPXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.pngPXG 0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 3 Hybrid(18*)w/Recoil ES regular shaft

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50*/54*/58*) w/DG Spinner wedge shafts 

Putter: 33”   Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

Oh, oops, to answer Foz's initial question: Yes!

Reading reviews from regular, amateur players - who describe their game; the good and the bad - and so give such a great "context" with which one can then judge the suitability of the product to their own game and style.

Certainly, cute taglines like "pick your distance" or like "fast and forgiving" cannot really do much to help indicate if this or that products fits into _my_ game.

So, yeah THANKS! to the MGS contest winners and forum members - and staffers - who use their personal time to write up actually useful information!

The personal information in the reviews came as the result of suggestions from forum members. I agree that it's extremely helpful. There are lots of guys here who I respect and enjoy but their games are radically different from mine. Through the background info I've been able to pinpoint the people whose games are similar to mine.

So if Plaid Jacket or Big Stu or Kenny is posting something about equipment that works I'm looking very hard at that product.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

The personal information in the reviews came as the result of suggestions from forum members. I agree that it's extremely helpful. There are lots of guys here who I respect and enjoy but their games are radically different from mine. Through the background info I've been able to pinpoint the people whose games are similar to mine.

So if Plaid Jacket or Big Stu or Kenny is posting something about equipment that works I'm looking very hard at that product.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks Rev, but I wish my game was similar to yours!!

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Everything i buy is based on reviews. I can't say I've bought anything from reviews here but I read them and tuck away the info for when it's time to buy.

Sent from my SM-G920P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Snell My Tour Ball. A dozen just to test them out. When I am through with them, I anticipate taking the plunge on the 6-dozen deal. 

• Like 1

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I'm one of the unfortunate ones that can't go out and try my equipment because there is no place for me so I depend greatly on the reviews I read and this site has got me playing equipment I never knew existed. My TourEdge exotics driver, CB 4 3 wood and 3 hybrids. My Snell MTB ball. This site has helped me tremendously and I truly appreciate having it.

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

DRIVER:                  :mizuno-small:  ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:    :adams-small:    Pro  2 hybrid 16*, Aldila Tour Red 75g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip 

:mizuno-small:           JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip                                  

IRONS:            :cobra-small:    King Forged Tour 4i-pw, KBS FLT, shafts, stiff,  Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

WEDGES:        rsz_scor-golf-logo.png        50, 55, 60 degree wedges with Genius 12 stiff flex,   Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

PUTTER:       :odyssey-small:    O-Works Marksman 33.5", Superstroke 1.0 Flatso grip w/ 50g counter core

BALL:          :bridgestone-small: Tour B X                                                     

BAG:          :Ogio:              Cirrus Golf Bag 

Shoes:              Skechers                  Hexgo Control  Shoes

I'm one of the unfortunate ones that can't go out and try my equipment because there is no place for me so I depend greatly on the reviews ...

FYI:

A few manufacturers are starting to offer online ordering of a 2 or 3 week trial of a limited set of clubs.

Two that I've found and used this season:

• Wilson - three irons for $10 (I tried the C200s and loved them but then ended up with Cobra F6s)

• Hogan - two wedge set for $20 (you can also trial their irons)

In both of these cases the price paid included a return shipping label. The only downside is very limited to no customization options.

• Like 2

Not as yet but have been especially interested in the ball reviews and have looked into purchasing some. I like the boutique, style of these companies and which originally got me playing Srixon balls when they first came out. Maybe a new ball could be available based on my interest from the reviews here.

Yes, specifically Snell balls. Everything else was a combination of reviews and demoing

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F - 58D

:ping-small: ChipR

:ping-small: PLD Milled Anser 2

:titelist-small: ProV1

FYI:

A few manufacturers are starting to offer online ordering of a 2 or 3 week trial of a limited set of clubs.

Two that I've found and used this season:

• Wilson - three irons for $10 (I tried the C200s and loved them but then ended up with Cobra F6s)

• Hogan - two wedge set for $20 (you can also trial their irons)

In both of these cases the price paid included a return shipping label. The only downside is very limited to no customization options.

I was talking about the lack of demo days and companies that actually come in my neck of the woods. I mean, ping only came once in the 5 years I've been going to demo days. Maybe I'm grasping at straws here but would love to see companies like TourEdge and Wilson staff around here. Geez even Nike don't come. it's a real bummer

• Like 1

DRIVER:                  :mizuno-small:  ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:    :adams-small:    Pro  2 hybrid 16*, Aldila Tour Red 75g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip 

:mizuno-small:           JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip                                  

IRONS:            :cobra-small:    King Forged Tour 4i-pw, KBS FLT, shafts, stiff,  Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

WEDGES:        rsz_scor-golf-logo.png        50, 55, 60 degree wedges with Genius 12 stiff flex,   Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

PUTTER:       :odyssey-small:    O-Works Marksman 33.5", Superstroke 1.0 Flatso grip w/ 50g counter core

I was talking about the lack of demo days and companies that actually come in my neck of the woods. I mean, ping only came once in the 5 years I've been going to demo days. Maybe I'm grasping at straws here but would love to see companies like TourEdge and Wilson staff around here. Geez even Nike don't come. it's a real bummer

Are you in NJ?

No just a huge Devils fan. I'm in New Brunswick, Canada

No just a huge Devils fan. I'm in New Brunswick, Canada

Oh Haha. Gotcha. Looking forward to watching Taylor Hall at The Rock this year!
  • Like 1

Absolutely. What a great trade plus Schneider in the pipes I think we can make the playoffs.

• Like 1

I might not purchase solely on product reviews but it definitely alps me narrow down what I'm going to personally test at the golf shop.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Driver: SIM2 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with Ventus Blue 6X Velocore

3WD: MAVRIK SZ

5WD: MAVRIK SZ

3i: Titleist U500 w/ Tour AD 95X

5-PW: Mizuno MP20 MMC w/ C-Tape Lite X 115

52: Mizuno T20 Chrome

56 & 60: Cleveland ZipCore Tour Raw

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 (34"/4/71)

Ball: THE Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've only been a member for about a week, so I haven't bought anything in that time.  But I did say this earlier in the Cobra F6 thread, if I had seen those reviews before purchasing my current irons, they would have gotten a serious look.  

I'm sure going forward there definitely will be purchases made as a result of MGS reviews and feedback.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Be sure and post your comments as well as pix of the clubs you bought.........especially the "Trial" set of Hogan TK15 wedges.

Foz, and all defenders of the SCOR / TK15 empire ;-)

Sorry ... I did not purchase the TK 15 wedges, though the trial was way way waaaaay worthwhile. I liked them, but didn't totally love them, but am keeping them 'on the list' of candidates.

The good:

They are undoubtedly a quality manufactured and finished product. Nice features included their "V Sole" - really does work; the stock KBS shaft is great; the "Tour Velvet" style grip is good; and also nice is the head shaping that makes the face appear square to your line when you open it up.

The not-so-good for me:

To order a trial you go through their online WedgeFit process and .. appear to be .. able to order specific lofts and customizations, like shaft length and extra wraps under the grip. I'd wanted a 54 and a 58 as those are what I play now and was looking to replace. Instead I'd received a 51 and a 59; both stock length and lie. Not that big a deal - I certainly understand it from the business perspective of turning around "rentals" - but on the other hand if you didn't send these back in time ... you bought 'em!

Anyway, I did put the 51 against 50, and the 59 against the 58, both on the range and on the course. These immediately felt quite solid to me and, I guess, "confidence inspiring" in that the ball did fly true off the face and on-line. Easy to hit it high, low, punch, lob, etc. etc.

The 51 did not feel like enough of an improvement over my new-this-year 50 to warrant changing at this time. The 59, though, definitely was, but... I wasn't going to keep and pay for this one since if I'm gonna spend that money then I'm gonna get exactly what I want.

The biggest 'holdback' factor for me - and this is, of course, personal preference - but these wedges have a much firmer feel (of the ball on the face) than what I've been playing and gotten used to.....

A "nice to have", and maybe they have plans for this, would be add'l optional finishes instead of only the bright chrome.

Anyway, there are two or three other wedges I'd like to try before deciding, but like I said I'll def keep these on the list of possible replacements ... and I can definitely well recommend to anyone else looking at new wedges to test these out.

Chuck 

• Like 2

Thanks much Chuck the surfer dude......around here, honesty goes a long way.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.pngPXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.pngPXG 0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 3 Hybrid(18*)w/Recoil ES regular shaft

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50*/54*/58*) w/DG Spinner wedge shafts 

Putter: 33”   Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder