Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Your swing type: one plane, two plane or stack and tilt?

I think my swing is probably a hybrid of one and two planes. However, my instructor just keeps it simple and does what he can with my limited skills to keep my swing on plane! :lol:

What about the rest of you? What type of swing fits you?

I don't really think in a particular way, i just swing. But on video, it's one plane and not S&T.

Titleist 909D2 | Taylormade r7 Ti | Titleist 909 H 19* | Mizuno MX-300 4-GW - Nippon 1050GH | Vokey SM 56*, 60* | Odyssey Black Series i #9 - UST Frequency Filtered |

I'm not really a believer in the one plane vs. two plane swing theories. I think it will vary with a persons body type, athleticism and flexibility and getting hung up on one or two just messes people up. What's important is what a person does thru impact, as long as they get into a consistent good impact position it doesn't really matter what plane it's on.

I'm not really a believer in the one plane vs. two plane swing theories. I think it will vary with a persons body type, athleticism and flexibility and getting hung up on one or two just messes people up. What's important is what a person does thru impact, as long as they get into a consistent good impact position it doesn't really matter what plane it's on.

One plane v Two plane is just whether or not you lift your arms off of your chest at the top of the backswing, not really much to do with height if your clubs are fit correctly.

One plane vs. Two plane makes me want to barf. We are all two plane. Even Moe and Hogan.

I'm a double shifter now who has flattened out my swing plane...more importantly my downswing plane quite a bit. I currently load the shaft pretty quickly, but will probably get into more of a lagging clubhead takeaway in the next few months. I have a random sweep release that will probably turn more into a snap release. I have pitch elbow and I'm working on a CP release.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

Two plane most of the time but I've experimented with the others without the benefit of professional help.

If I feel I have too much sway in my swing of the day I might go S and T and see if it produces more solid hits.

At age 71 you have to find a way to get around the course despite your ailments. :lol:

Semper Fi

My Club

Hum.. not sure, but what I do know is that S&T sucks. My friend went to S&T for a while and just blocked everything right. Lost a good 20 yards on his drives and just didn't play well. Went back to his former swing and has been playing great.

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

I lost interest in the S&T when I determined that their stock ball flight and window wasn't something I was interested in. Plus, there's not many S&T teachers so working on it by yourself can be problematic.

For some, the S&T pattern is perfect. For others they may be better off using just some of the components while they keep their original swing.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I'm a Jim Hardy one plane guy...and was lucky enough to get to have a one on one lesson with him. It's still a work in progress, but at least after trying a few years on my own I've now got some solid info to work from.

My swing has more planes than an airport. Works sometimes though. It has been described as "Ugly and Ineffective". Its what I got though.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

My swing has more planes than an airport. Works sometimes though. It has been described as "Ugly and Ineffective". Its what I got though.

Only thing that matters about a swing is that it's repetitive. As long as you make the same swing over and over, you can play with what ya got, LOL.

Only thing that matters about a swing is that it's repetitive. As long as you make the same swing over and over, you can play with what ya got, LOL.

That's my brother's philosophy in a nutshell. I refer to his swing as "homebrew" because no teacher on earth would claim that they had anything to do with it. This is where I would say, "But it works for him" except that it doesn't, hahaha.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

All that matters is impact because impact is objective.

The #1 issue with people and there golf swing is that they believe that getting the ball airborne is due to whether or not they 'look up' or 'keep their head down.' That is almost never the reason why they don't get the ball airborne.

But, they don't understand or believe that and that's why they continue to struggle because they are working on something that is not the problem. It's like having an issue with the transmission in your car, but your solution is always to make sure you have gas in the tank.

3JACK

I'm a one plane guy also. My plane though is extremely flat right now and that isn't good. Time for some lessons to straighten myself out I suppose. :(

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Same with Ricky Fowler, and he's decent. You can work with it.

Not really. If your swing repeatedly sucks it still sucks. If it is a repeatable 5 yard draw, then you're all right.

Same with Ricky Fowler, and he's decent. You can work with it.

Yeah, but I don't think you can pull that off without one of those Puma two sizes-too big hats dude. I think it helps to balance the whole two plane thing out. Just a theory. :(

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Yeah, but I don't think you can pull that off without one of those Puma two sizes-too big hats dude. I think it helps to balance the whole two plane thing out. Just a theory. :)

And the flat brim.

I am a Stack and Tilter myself. It is really close to my natural swing already and reading about it helped improve my game.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

SnT is a pretty good swing. I have some elements of it in my own swing, but there are some things about it that I don't like.

I'm interested to hear what you don't like about it. Do tell.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I'm interested to hear what you don't like about it. Do tell.

The first two things that I am going to list are things that I have taken as things that are meant to set you up to be in a good position. My point being that even if you don't do these things you can still get in a good impact position, which I do. The first is the takeaway. SnT emphasized "deep hands" meaning if you looked at a swing down the line, they would be farther left. Is meant to that you are in correct position to make that some move coming down, thus swinging in-to-out, the preferred path of most golfers. My takeaway is more straight back, where my hands "disappear" behind the club head, but during the downswing I still swing in-to-out, so I haven't decided to change my takeaway.

The second thing I don't like is that one the backswing, they want you to be slightly forward, so that you continue that push forward on the downswing. All of the best players push their hips forward on the downswing, as do I, but I don't feel a need to do that on the backswing. On the backswing I keep my weight centered over the ball, then push forward on the downswing.

My third issue, well more of a nit to pick, is their preferred finish. I am not a huge fan of the abrupt finish, I prefer more of a full finish, but that is a small thing.

Once again, as I said I employ a lot of the of elements of SnT in my swing, these are the one that I don't. Feel free to critique my reasoning if you wish. Are you a Stack and Tilter?

• 2 weeks later...

I use a one plane swing, just feels more natural to me.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Archived