Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

New member but long time fan of My Golf Spy!

I started swinging a golf club when I was a little under three years old but, I wouldn't fall in love with golf until my return from Iraq and the trials of warfare. While driving through a dangerous area south of Baghdad, a roadside bomb exploded as my Humvee was passing – two pieces of shrapnel went through my lower IBA and into my back.

I would remain in Iraq for 8 months and in April 2004, I returned from the deployment a disabled soldier. My life was changed forever and the pain in my back would change my disposition on all of my abilities. Meanwhile, a few friends in my Unit decided that they wanted to buy new golf clubs and start playing golf (after returning from a deployment, our commanders allowed us a lot of free time to relax and recover from the stresses of life in war-time). My love for golf would grow but I was far from being a “golfer.” We played golf a good amount, but the pain in my back was often too much for me to endure and I started to play less and less until one day I decided I needed the money and I sold my golf clubs.

In September 2005, I would leave the Army and head back home to Austin, Texas to start my college career at Austin Community College. I had stopped playing golf and in fact, I had stopped being active all together. I used the pain in my back as an excuse to be lazy and I began to gain weight. With every added pound, the pain in my back would only increase. Three years passed and I went from being a 175-pound athletic person, to weighing 255 pounds and doing everything I could to resist any physical activity.

In 2008, I was accepted to Texas State University – this is where golf grabbed me and changed my life. A friend of mine named Raquel was working in the recreation department at Texas State and I had mentioned how I wanted to coach someday and she told me about a position through the REC department that would allow me to coach a Jr Golf Program. Raquel introduced me to the manager of the Texas State Golf Course who quickly decided to allow me to take over the program. Some of the perks of being an employee was being able to play the course for free and anytime I wanted.

My father would buy me a pushcart and I began to walk the course and as a result, I began to change my disposition on my abilities as a golfer and as person again. But nearly a year into working at the REC program, adversity struck again. My entire golf bag was stolen with all my golf clubs and a bag of golf attire (I was heading back to Austin for the weekend and planning on doing some laundry at my parents house). It was a setback for sure, but I wasn't going to let it stop me.

Golf didn't just help me lose weight and be more active; it allowed me to understand the world again. Golf showed me that I could still be competitive, that I could set goals and achieve those goals. The lessons I learned on the fairways transferred to my life. I have now lost the weight that I have struggled with over the years to lose; I have gained strength in my back, legs and shoulders. My back will always be a problem for me but now I know I can work through the pain and still do what I love to do.

In May 2011, I graduated from Texas State University in San Marcos and recently moved out to San Angelo Texas where I started working for Bentwood Country Club as the Head Coach for the Jr High School Golf program. I eventually want to become a PGA Teaching Pro. I moved out to West Texas with my fiancé who has been my biggest supporter and I could not have done it without her and now she ‘s my wife.  I'm teaching in Austin Texas and I am the Head Golf Coach at the school I teach at! Life is great!

Quite simply, golf saved my life. It showed me that I could do anything if I practiced and worked hard. I want to spend my life sharing my passion for golf and showing how golf is more than just a game but a way of life and a strength I take deep pride in! 

Glad to be a member of a great website like My Golf Spy!

905383_10151891511026185_1959651209_o.jpg

First, thanks for your service & scrifice, Tgolfer!

I am very pleased that you decided to join us at My Golf Spy.  Hopefully, you will be able to provide inciteful opinions regarding the game of golf, as a Junior Coach, a Veteran & a Golfer.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

very cool picture, welcome to the forums

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest!  Glad you joined us.  What a great story of accomplishment!!  Thanks for your service and looking forward to your thoughts.  Great pic!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Welcome to MGS Tim!

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Welcome Tgolfer, you went through a lot to get to where you are now, hope everything is well. Thank you for your service and good luck on your journey.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Welcome! Thanks for your service to our great nation. That's a kick ass picture!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Archived