TESTERS WANTED! ×

Playing in MGA tournament

Kor.A.Door

Hey guys, this is kind of a rant, bit also will contain some questions, ok I am playing in one of our clubs men's golf association events tomorrow, and it seems like every time I sign up for these I get screwed in who I get paired with, I never seem to get paired with anyone I really know, and rarely get to play with any of the guys I really enjoy playing golf with, I am paired with 3 much higher hcp guys, and there is nothin wrong with that, I just don't know any of them that well, life gives you lemons you make lemonade, so I will be okay, next time I will be sure to request who to play with. So in an effort to prepare for the member member tourney and club championships that will be coming up, tomorrow's game is just black or blue tees, play your own ball. We get to choose what tee, payout is 1sr, 2nd, 3rd gross and net for both tees, so I am having a hard time figuring out which tees to play, I have a cap that really doesn't fit well into either gross or net winnings unless I play extremely well, the food news is that there isnt anyone that is in the groups behind me that I think will play the black tees, so I should be able to see who is on black and who is on the blue, any suggestions on which tees to choose? I can play either and my score won't be much different, if I play blue I have no chance in the net, but have a slim chance in the gross, if I play the black I have no chance at the gross, but have a slim chance at the net, the payout is the same for both tees. Anyway...

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I used to always want to be paired with my buds. Now days (I don't really play tournaments..much anymore) I don't care. I play with my guys all the time so I look forward to playing with others. It's fun to see how other people handle their game in a tournament situation. I play the same either way.

I'm comfortable on the course just about anywhere I play. As for the tees? If I understand correctly... I'd have to choose the tee that most closely fits the distance I normally play from.

Good luck.

Also... if you ever get a chance to serve on the MGA do it. It's fun.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I am assuming that a MGA is the same as a men's club at your course.  If I am incorrect, sorry.  In my experience, part of the reason for MGA events is so that you can play with and meet other members apart from your "cronies".  I was a men's club officer at a country club years ago and that is one of the things we wanted to achieve - otherwise it's not much different than a typical weekend round.  I assume that you ordinarily play in groups with the guys you enjoy playing with so one weekend with guys you don't know is no big deal, IMO.  You may even like the guys or have something in common -who knows.

As for which tees to play, six of one, half dozen of the other.  Not sure of the make up of the tournament, but there will probably be less players from the blacks, so I would lean in that direction.

Just my .02

The Dude abides.

WITB:

PXG 0811 9 degree

Tour Exotics 3 Wood

Srixon 5 Wood

PXG 0311 5-PW

Miura K Wedges 52, 56, 60

PXG  Center Shafted

:travis-mathew-1: Golf Shirts (on me, not ITB!)

Good advice there Plaid!

I look forward to playing our events that pair you with random people.  I like to see how other people navigate around our course and after 5 years of events it's really nice to recognize and know people outside of my golfing group.  Makes it more of a golf community than just a bunch of random guys who happen to play the same day and same events.

For the tee's I would look at it a couple of different ways.  Which tee's are closer to what you normally play?  Which tees will you end up playing in the other events you mentioned?  Which tees will your playing partners play from?

If you can get 2 out of 3 the same on any of those questions I would play those.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I will go one step further than Kckymeyer - play the tees that you are. Going to play in the club championship.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I am assuming that a MGA is the same as a men's club at your course. If I am incorrect, sorry. In my experience, part of the reason for MGA events is so that you can play with and meet other members apart from your "cronies". I was a men's club officer at a country club years ago and that is one of the things we wanted to achieve - otherwise it's not much different than a typical weekend round. I assume that you ordinarily play in groups with the guys you enjoy playing with so one weekend with guys you don't know is no big deal, IMO. You may even like the guys or have something in common -who knows.

As for which tees to play, six of one, half dozen of the other. Not sure of the make up of the tournament, but there will probably be less players from the blacks, so I would lean in that direction.

Just my .02

m

It's Men's golf association, (MGA), I don't normally care about playing with new folks, we have 32 guys and I have regularly played with most of them, if he 32 guys there I probably 6 guys that I would rather not play with, and about 4 guys that I really don't know that we'll that leaves 21 guys to at least be paired with someone that I like to play golf with, the issue is they don't just do a draw and put the groups out that way, they pick and choose who they want to play with and then fill in the rest of us, I will enjoy the day regardless, and I will get to play golf with some guys I do t know much about, so it will be fun.

Good advice there Plaid!

I look forward to playing our events that pair you with random people. I like to see how other people navigate around our course and after 5 years of events it's really nice to recognize and know people outside of my golfing group. Makes it more of a golf community than just a bunch of random guys who happen to play the same day and same events.

For the tee's I would look at it a couple of different ways. Which tee's are closer to what you normally play? Which tees will you end up playing in the other events you mentioned? Which tees will your playing partners play from?

If you can get 2 out of 3 the same on any of those questions I would play those.

If it was random draw for everyone I would have no issues, but we have 8 groups and 5 of them I could have told you who was going to play with who just looking at the sign up sheet, I've said for a while in our group that these should be totally random draws for parings in these tourneys

Well it ended up being ok, I chose to play the championship tees, and it was the right decision, I won 3rd place in the net, which is exactly why I thought was the best option to win. I shot 83 with a triple and a double, I shot 40 on the back nine with an 8. I hit the ball really well, just had a bonehead decision on 6 that cost me a double and hit my tee shot OB on 12 for an 8, other than those holes I didn't play to bad.

Archived