TESTERS WANTED! ×

Single plane swing

My swing has no fewer than 4 planes. It is a wonder of quantum physics.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yes sir, who says the guys on tour have the corner on amazing? When we mid-to-high handicappers cover all the planes and swing styles, sometimes all in one swing, and still make contact with the ball, that definitely should fall into some kind of wonder category shouldn't it?  :D

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

I have been using the single plane swing for about 10 years.  I had a big slice and decided I couldn't play golf that way, so I looked into the SPS.  It has definitely help me get from a 20 hcp to 9.  If it is something you are thinking about it, I highly recommend seeing competent instructors before trying it yourself.  I went to school here...  http://moenormangolf.com

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Dear Friends in Golf:

I am a avid golfer from a beautiful state MI.

I am also a single plane golfer.  Moe Norman is a one of key persons in the idea of One Plane golf swing as mentioned by Kenny B.  

Please watch a new pro Bryson Dechambeau, and he is using a One Plane.

I personally think that  One Plane swing is really the way to go because it solves so many problems.

I am glad to find this discussion thread in this forum.

Please check my bolg and ebook to find out more, where I studied and investigated a lot regarding One Plane swing.

Thanks!

Be Simple and Consistent.  Keep Basics.  Be more forgiving.  Be in Total Control.

Sincerely,

danielS

I too have been using the SPS with the online Graves Institute who has had close ties with the Canadian golfer - Moe Norman. There are other instructors as well out there, but the Graves' brothers break it down so well ... Yeah you can spend a lot but even with a limited budget this online SPS makes golf fun and less effort. The old Ben Hogan book is still a fave to go back to reference as well. You can drop 10+ strokes. I am still wanting to improve, not to be on a Senior Circuit but more than just social bogey golf. Recently my "aha" moment has been happening recently with better GIR stats and drives off the tee using the Arccos system on the course. Aloha.

• 10 months later...

Surprised noone mentioned Kuchar on here.  Seems to be the most obvious single plane swinger on tour today.

Recently picked up Jim Hardy's book  and really looking forward to getting into it.  The change (for me) wasn't as drastic as I thought and it - conceptually - is really rather simple...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Kuchar is close to a SPS but still has the shaft slightly lower at address than at impact.  He picks the club up a little steep on the backswing, but drops it in the slot nicely on the downswing.  

Steve Stricker's swing is a little closer to a SPS.  Although his hands are a little below his shoulders at address, before he starts the backswing he raises them up slightly to get closer to the plane.  If you look at a face-on view at address, the shaft is on a line up the lead arm to his shoulder, which is a common trait of a SPS.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Welcome aboard. 

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST MaxRogue ST Max 3, 5 & 7 Wooda 
Irons -      Rogue ST MAX OS  5 - AW
Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*  

Putter -    ER2
Rangefinder -  NX9 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Soft Drip

Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Kuchar is close to a SPS but still has the shaft slightly lower at address than at impact. He picks the club up a little steep on the backswing, but drops it in the slot nicely on the downswing.

Steve Stricker's swing is a little closer to a SPS. Although his hands are a little below his shoulders at address, before he starts the backswing he raises them up slightly to get closer to the plane. If you look at a face-on view at address, the shaft is on a line up the lead arm to his shoulder, which is a common trait of a SPS.

Would you consider Zach Johnson as having a SPS? Rickie?

Funny how there seem to be certain characteristics of it in a lot of guys that aren't super long but deadly accurate

Sent from my LG-D851 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Would you consider Zach Johnson as having a SPS? Rickie?

Funny how there seem to be certain characteristics of it in a lot of guys that aren't super long but deadly accurate

Definitely No and No.  The shaft is on a completely different plane at address than at impact.  

Definitely No and No. The shaft is on a completely different plane at address than at impact.

Forgot one... Ben Hogan? Some say he was one of the first SPS.

Remember reading his book and him saying imagine like your head is sticking through a plate of glass and it goes at a 45 degree angle to the ground and over your head and your job is not to break the glass...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Forgot one... Ben Hogan? Some say he was one of the first SPS.

Remember reading his book and him saying imagine like your head is sticking through a plate of glass and it goes at a 45 degree angle to the ground and over your head and your job is not to break the glass...

Ben Hogan and Moe Norman played a lot of golf together.  I'm not surprised that their swings were similar.  It's a simple repeatable swing that doesn't stress the body.  Hogan's swing is very much a SPS even though his hands were slightly dropped below his shoulders whereas Moe's hands were out away from his body, arms inline with the shaft.  Also, from a face-on view Hogan's club was pointed at the center of his body, whereas Moe's club was inline with his lead arm, pointed at the lead shoulder which is where it needs to be at impact.  Both swings are flat by today's standards.

If you start out with hands below your shoulders, the club is on a different plane than it is at impact. To get to impact the shaft has to elevate which raises the lead shoulder and straightens the lead leg.  Nothing wrong with it, but requires more coordination and timing, and it's hard on the lead knee, IMHO.

If you watch videos of both players at impact, their left knee is flexed... old school.  Today, players are taught to post up on their lead leg, ala Tiger.  Look what that did to his knee.  It was very interesting yesterday at The Memorial; Jack mentioned this.  Said that's the way kids are taught today, and he thinks it's bad for knees.  He said he was taught by Jack Grout to have flex in his knee, which is why he sort of fell back on his follow-through.  

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey all! Just joined the forum. I'm about 3 weeks into my transition to SPS. Definitely been watching a lot of the Todd Graves channel on YouTube (as well as read his book). Things seem to be progressing nicely so far! Starting to feel a big and good difference in ball striking. 

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2016 at 2:30 PM, Bigdog55 said:

I am new member. Anyone using a single plane swing?

I use a one plane swing - it is a Cessna. It doesn't have a lot of power or go very far but, it's fun to fly. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I realized recently that my swing is close to single plane. I am self taught and ever read Hogan's Five Lessons so that likely has to do with it. Hands not quite in line with the shaft but close and extend a good ways from the body. I have always struggled with dropping the club to a new plane when I try that. I am sure I do it a bit but pretty close to one plane, and definitely a flat swing. For a longtime felt I needed to change it but going back to it recently and with Bryson's win, just gotta own it. It works for me and I agree with others makes the game easier and more fun.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

not to stir the pot but Single Plane and One Plane are different swing concepts. BDC is the only tour player using SP, but there are several One Plane players on tour.

Interested in learning about the differences. Can you expand on the differences or provide a link to something that can. I have only heard if one plane and two plane.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 8/5/2020 at 7:49 PM, RDel90 said:

Hey all! Just joined the forum. I'm about 3 weeks into my transition to SPS. Definitely been watching a lot of the Todd Graves channel on YouTube (as well as read his book). Things seem to be progressing nicely so far! Starting to feel a big and good difference in ball striking. 

I followed Graves for 10 years and the SPS is very helpful to hit the ball straight.  I attended several of his clinics.  However, I found that for me, the SPS limited my ability to improve distance, and that's what I need now that I'm in my 70's.  

I have a number of Grave's training aids that I can sell at reduced prices if you are interested.

There are some references here about Hogan being a single plane swing, but his book talks about the backswing being steeper than the downswing.  I just checked my copy and on page 71 the diagram clearly states this.  I didn't check video of his swing, but is it a case of his actual swing being different than what he talked about in his book?

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

46 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Interested in learning about the differences. Can you expand on the differences or provide a link to something that can. I have only heard if one plane and two plane.

Single Plane; the shaft and right arm are inline with each other. You address the ball in the position that you’d be in when you strike the ball. Moe Norman called it Natural Golf and Todd Graves coined the term Single Plane.

One Plane; the shaft and hands are on the same plane as the shoulders. This swing requires a shallowing move before impact because of the steepness of the shoulders in the backswing.

To find a much better definition I’d suggest YouTube. Todd Graves for SP and Jim Hardy for OP. Their very different concepts and I’m certainly no expert. 

Single Plane; the shaft and right arm are inline with each other. You address the ball in the position that you’d be in when you strike the ball. Moe Norman called it Natural Golf and Todd Graves coined the term Single Plane.
One Plane; the shaft and hands are on the same plane as the shoulders. This swing requires a shallowing move before impact because of the steepness of the shoulders in the backswing.
To find a much better definition I’d suggest YouTube. Todd Graves for SP and Jim Hardy for OP. Their very different concepts and I’m certainly no expert. 

Did some quick reading and it seems like the same concept with graves defining it to be exactly like the Moe Norman swing and on a particular plane. Less rigid instructors take it to mean the back and forward swing are on the same plane. Subtle differences just like you would find in two plane swings with some being more vertical and some being more laid off.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

There are some references here about Hogan being a single plane swing, but his book talks about the backswing being steeper than the downswing.  I just checked my copy and on page 71 the diagram clearly states this.  I didn't check video of his swing, but is it a case of his actual swing being different than what he talked about in his book?

Take a look at his address position vs. his impact position.  The club shaft is on a nearly identical plane. 

Kuchar does this as well.

Even Moe was steeper on one of the other on takeaway and through swing.  

2 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

There are a few instances of that from his book. Thanks everyone for the differences given these new considerations I would imagine that I am more One Plane player than single plain. Either way easier for me than a more pronounced transition in a more traditional swing.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

This is what goes through my mind,,,,

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

1 hour ago, MadMex said:

This is what goes through my mind,,,,

This is a good one, I think I have seen this some before. I like to imagine this is exactly the thoughts going through Bryson's head before he hits a shot.

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this. Moe had a wonderful swing, and this picture has always blown me out of the water. Look at that club face moments before impact. 🤯

You know that ball took off like a scalded dog. 

moe-3-small.jpg

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

4 minutes ago, Crowev01 said:

Enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this. Moe had a wonderful swing, and this picture has always blown me out of the water. Look at that club face moments before impact. 🤯

You know that ball took off like a scalded dog. 

moe-3-small.jpg

I think this is a picture of Moe demonstrating his “feel”. 

Glad you enjoyed the thread, one plane has been fun so far.