Our Sponsors

On 8/5/2020 at 7:49 PM, RDel90 said:

Hey all! Just joined the forum. I'm about 3 weeks into my transition to SPS. Definitely been watching a lot of the Todd Graves channel on YouTube (as well as read his book). Things seem to be progressing nicely so far! Starting to feel a big and good difference in ball striking. 

I followed Graves for 10 years and the SPS is very helpful to hit the ball straight.  I attended several of his clinics.  However, I found that for me, the SPS limited my ability to improve distance, and that's what I need now that I'm in my 70's.  

I have a number of Grave's training aids that I can sell at reduced prices if you are interested.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There are some references here about Hogan being a single plane swing, but his book talks about the backswing being steeper than the downswing.  I just checked my copy and on page 71 the diagram clearly states this.  I didn't check video of his swing, but is it a case of his actual swing being different than what he talked about in his book?

Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5 

Ping i20 17* & 23* hybrids, stock stiff shafts

Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4i, PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0

Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 (w/ some custom heel grinding)

Ping Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB

46 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Interested in learning about the differences. Can you expand on the differences or provide a link to something that can. I have only heard if one plane and two plane.

Single Plane; the shaft and right arm are inline with each other. You address the ball in the position that you’d be in when you strike the ball. Moe Norman called it Natural Golf and Todd Graves coined the term Single Plane.

One Plane; the shaft and hands are on the same plane as the shoulders. This swing requires a shallowing move before impact because of the steepness of the shoulders in the backswing.

To find a much better definition I’d suggest YouTube. Todd Graves for SP and Jim Hardy for OP. Their very different concepts and I’m certainly no expert. 

Single Plane; the shaft and right arm are inline with each other. You address the ball in the position that you’d be in when you strike the ball. Moe Norman called it Natural Golf and Todd Graves coined the term Single Plane.
One Plane; the shaft and hands are on the same plane as the shoulders. This swing requires a shallowing move before impact because of the steepness of the shoulders in the backswing.
To find a much better definition I’d suggest YouTube. Todd Graves for SP and Jim Hardy for OP. Their very different concepts and I’m certainly no expert. 

Did some quick reading and it seems like the same concept with graves defining it to be exactly like the Moe Norman swing and on a particular plane. Less rigid instructors take it to mean the back and forward swing are on the same plane. Subtle differences just like you would find in two plane swings with some being more vertical and some being more laid off.
  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

There are some references here about Hogan being a single plane swing, but his book talks about the backswing being steeper than the downswing.  I just checked my copy and on page 71 the diagram clearly states this.  I didn't check video of his swing, but is it a case of his actual swing being different than what he talked about in his book?

Take a look at his address position vs. his impact position.  The club shaft is on a nearly identical plane. 

Kuchar does this as well.

Even Moe was steeper on one of the other on takeaway and through swing.  

2 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

There are a few instances of that from his book. Thanks everyone for the differences given these new considerations I would imagine that I am more One Plane player than single plain. Either way easier for me than a more pronounced transition in a more traditional swing.

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

This is what goes through my mind,,,,

• Haha 1

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

1 hour ago, MadMex said:

This is what goes through my mind,,,,

This is a good one, I think I have seen this some before. I like to imagine this is exactly the thoughts going through Bryson's head before he hits a shot.

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this. Moe had a wonderful swing, and this picture has always blown me out of the water. Look at that club face moments before impact. 🤯

You know that ball took off like a scalded dog. 

moe-3-small.jpg

• Like 1

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

4 minutes ago, Crowev01 said:

Enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this. Moe had a wonderful swing, and this picture has always blown me out of the water. Look at that club face moments before impact. 🤯

You know that ball took off like a scalded dog. 

moe-3-small.jpg

I think this is a picture of Moe demonstrating his “feel”. 

Glad you enjoyed the thread, one plane has been fun so far. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I think this is a picture of Moe demonstrating his “feel”. 

Glad you enjoyed the thread, one plane has been fun so far. 

I demonstrate my feel with a square face, but my impact position is more like Moe's demonstration. 😂

• Like 1

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

1 minute ago, Crowev01 said:

I demonstrate my feel with a square face, but my impact position is more like Moe's demonstration. 😂

Ah yes, the old holy cow the face is open shot.  Had a run in with that last week. 😂

• Like 1