Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Why do you pay/play $4.00 for a golf ball?

Not jack the thread but have you played the Vice Pro plus?

... Played the Vice Pro Plus for the first time yesterday and was very impressed. Everything I want in a golf ball. For reference my favorite ball is the Z Star, with the Lethal/Tour Preferred, Prov1X very close seconds and balls I would not hesitate to play in competition. I would easily put the Pro Plus right there with all them. Nice mid feel of not too soft or too hard, great around the green and as long as any ball I have played. Eagled the first hole and after that, I was concentrating on my shots and  forgot I was even playing a new ball. That speaks volumes about its performance I think. I played the Bridgestone RXS my previous round and was aware I was playing a new ball on every shot, especially iron approaches as well as pitches and chips. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I have a buddy who is a 6 Hcap. His current gamer is the new Pinnacle Rush....about $15/dozen. Prior to that he was gaming the Wilson fifty elite, $13/dozen. His game lets you know that you font have to pay $4/ball to play well. My current gamer us the Snell MTB, purchased in 3 dozen lots. I have three rounds on one ball with only one small cart path blemish.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

How does the Snell compare with a Teitlest NXT? Like Mike, I havent found one that performs like it. But I've heard a lot about the Snell lately.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

How does the Snell compare with a Teitlest NXT? Like Mike, I havent found one that performs like it. But I've heard a lot about the Snell lately.

Snell is longer and spins more around the green

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Snell is longer and spins more around the green

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What he said

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Really really really really liked the MTB this week. Get sum pretty good but really liked the mtb and I've played all the big names and every type they've produced just about

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, Cally XR16 Driver, G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I E1 irons, Vokey SM5 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

• 2 weeks later...

I'm able to get Project (a) for $18/dozen and TP for $24/dozen thru a sponsorship (No, I am not sponsored, but where I work is).

Driver - TaylorMade RBZ Stage 1 - 9.5* - Stiff Shaft

3wood - TaylorMade SLDR            - 15*  - Stiff Shaft

Hybrid - Ben Hogan Golf VKTR     - 20*  - Stiff Shaft

- Ben Hogan Golf VKTR     - 24*  - Stiff Shaft

Irons - Ben Hogan Apex Plus - 5-PW - Rifle 5.0 Shaft

Wedges - Cleveland 588 RTX - 52* 56* 60* - Tru-Temper Dynamic Gold Shaft

Putter -Ben Hogan by Bettinardi BHB1-C

Balls -TaylorMade Project (a)

Shoes - Adidas Tour360 Boost - All Black

I would say that the Snell MTB is a step above the NXT, the snell is up in the comparison of pro-v, tour preferred, the NXT to me is a step below those tour balls. It's a very good ball, just not in the same comparison I think the Get sum from snell would be a closer comparison to the NXT.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• 2 weeks later...

Like a few others I like the short game performance of urethane balls but not the price. I can typically pick up 4A or 5A balls on ebay for under $2 per ball. Like PV1X, bought a last dozen of the 2015 model that look perfect for $20, cheaper than I can buy cheap balls at the store and didn't have to leave my couch...

If you really enjoy playing a top quality tour ball try the MG Tour C4. $19.95/dz. And... you won't have to leave your couch.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

... Played the Vice Pro Plus for the first time yesterday and was very impressed. Everything I want in a golf ball. For reference my favorite ball is the Z Star, with the Lethal/Tour Preferred, Prov1X very close seconds and balls I would not hesitate to play in competition. I would easily put the Pro Plus right there with all them. Nice mid feel of not too soft or too hard, great around the green and as long as any ball I have played. Eagled the first hole and after that, I was concentrating on my shots and  forgot I was even playing a new ball. That speaks volumes about its performance I think. I played the Bridgestone RXS my previous round and was aware I was playing a new ball on every shot, especially iron approaches as well as pitches and chips.

I'm not familiar with that ball. What's its price point and would it work for a more moderate swinger like me?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

... Vice is a German company that skips the middle man and sells direct. Similar to Snell in their business model. I would think the Pro may be a better fit for moderate swings, but that is a general guideline and educated guess. They have a "Ball Recommender" on their website:

http://www.vicegolf.com/us2/vice-golf-pro-plus

One dozen is $34.95

Two dozen are $29.95

5 dozen or more are $24.95 which is a killer deal imo

• 3 months later...

I've played the Precept Laddie for a long while. For $10 a dozen, it can't be beat. I may be looking at the new Kirkland ball though....

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I never have played a $4 ball, and never will. I've tested every major OEM ball one can imagine in all of the ball testing I do, and I've yet to find that ONE ball that is the "best" overall.

Honestly, in my humble opinion, it DOES matter when one looks down at a logo and has confidence. There probably isn't as big a difference as most THINK, but if just by seeing that word "Titleist" on the ball gives you confidence, then the $4 ball is worth it. Very few players that are "devoted" to a brand will ever think another ball could possibly "be as good or better than their gamer".

Interestingly enough, pros have balls made to spec for them. Since we don't, when we only play "one ball", we actually play a NEW ball each release cycle...

Anyway.

I have become "addicted" and ultra confident in a specific ball for its color. One of a kind. I now only "like" to play balls of that color. It's purely confidence, that's it... Gladly, it's less than $3 a ball!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Glad I read this - I collect balls from the woods and water, and usually find enough to avoid buying balls. The prov1 is my fav due to the control around the green, but I'll go with the prov1x on a windy day (seems to be easier to keep low). I also like the Bridgestone e5, but hear they are discontinued. I had found a couple of mg balls lately and didn't know what they were - I'll give them a shot. The vices and snells are rare here, but the ones I tried, I liked.

I agree with some previous posts - playing the same ball is the most important thing - switching all the time just adds inconsistency that we don't need.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Interesting topic and many of the responses are about what I expected.

I play the best ball I can afford and that has varied over the years due to income and what not.  I currently play the ProV1 and yes I have taken and probably will take some heat from those that say a 17 HC doesn't benefit from the ProV and I will continue to disagree.

As a 17, I miss a lot of greens..(no surprise) so having a ball that I like the sound and feel of coming off a wedge is a huge thing to me. In addition one that I know when struck well will give me a consistent performance in stopping on the green from a short game shot.  

Granted I haven't tried any of the new lower priced "premium" balls, and I probably will at some point.  But until then I'll continue to use the Prov--I'm fortunate that I don't pay anywhere near $4.00 for them-- But if I had to, I probably still would.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Devil's advocate here...

Just a different take on this - is it considered "snobbish" to play a $4 golf ball? Even if you buy them used at $1 each or find them for free?

But it's acceptable to buy a $500 driver to hit them?

How about the guy that won't pay $4 per ball, but will only play brand new $3 balls?

I guess my rant is: everyone has a preference of brand, performance, etc. for clubs, balls, shirts, shoes, or anything else. I think the key factors are comfort, confidence, and consistency.

Devil's advocate here...

Just a different take on this - is it considered "snobbish" to play a $4 golf ball? Even if you buy them used at $1 each or find them for free?

But it's acceptable to buy a $500 driver to hit them?

How about the guy that won't pay $4 per ball, but will only play brand new $3 balls?

I guess my rant is: everyone has a preference of brand, performance, etc. for clubs, balls, shirts, shoes, or anything else. I think the key factors are comfort, confidence, and consistency.

I agree with this.  I have never looked at anyone being snobbish for  what they play, or thought any less of anyone for playing 20 year old or less expensive clubs.   I truly believe play and wear what you enjoy and what makes you happy.

Interesting topic and many of the responses are about what I expected.

I play the best ball I can afford and that has varied over the years due to income and what not.  I currently play the ProV1 and yes I have taken and probably will take some heat from those that say a 17 HC doesn't benefit from the ProV and I will continue to disagree.

As a 17, I miss a lot of greens..(no surprise) so having a ball that I like the sound and feel of coming off a wedge is a huge thing to me. In addition one that I know when struck well will give me a consistent performance in stopping on the green from a short game shot.  

Granted I haven't tried any of the new lower priced "premium" balls, and I probably will at some point.  But until then I'll continue to use the Prov--I'm fortunate that I don't pay anywhere near $4.00 for them-- But if I had to, I probably still would.  

... Of course as a 17 index you should use a premium ball and the one of your choosing regardless of cost. Kinda like saying you don't drive a race car but prefer a Genesis G80 over the Elantra. 

... I am playing to a 0.2 index now and don't find much, if any difference between the premium balls I play. Z Star, TPx, ProV1x and currently playing Kirkland Signatures and since I bought 6 dozen, I will be playing them all next season as well. I need max spin around the green as well as most short game shots and all of the above perform for me. But paying $89 for 6 dozen vs $95 for 2 dozen, when performance is virtually identical, is a no brainer for me. If I played once a week I might just go with my favorite regardless of cost but when you play 150 rounds a season or more, the cost of golf balls add up pretty quickly. 

On point - I truly believe that landing on a specific ball (or at least type of ball) will help a mid or high handicapper a lot. No matter what ball it is. It's the only equipment in your bag that you use on every stroke - might as well keep it consistent.

... Of course as a 17 index you should use a premium ball and the one of your choosing regardless of cost. Kinda like saying you don't drive a race car but prefer a Genesis G80 over the Elantra. 

... I am playing to a 0.2 index now and don't find much, if any difference between the premium balls I play. Z Star, TPx, ProV1x and currently playing Kirkland Signatures and since I bought 6 dozen, I will be playing them all next season as well. I need max spin around the green as well as most short game shots and all of the above perform for me. But paying $89 for 6 dozen vs $95 for 2 dozen, when performance is virtually identical, is a no brainer for me. If I played once a week I might just go with my favorite regardless of cost but when you play 150 rounds a season or more, the cost of golf balls add up pretty quickly. 

Makes complete sense.  And I honestly feel if I don't at least give the other balls a chance then I'm not doing myself any justice.    Of the other premium balls you mentioned, the Z Star is by far my 2nd favorite.   And if our Pro Shop moves in the direction it looks like it's going to next year, it very well could be my regular ball. 

Back home now, and found 2 of the mg c4 balls in my batch of misc. found balls. I also pulled up their website to read up on them. I'll give these a shot for sure - if I ever get to the point that I need to buy balls, the $20 price tag is a winner for sure.

Back home now, and found 2 of the mg c4 balls in my batch of misc. found balls. I also pulled up their website to read up on them. I'll give these a shot for sure - if I ever get to the point that I need to buy balls, the $20 price tag is a winner for sure.

They are a good ball. I like them as do many others around the forum. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Archived