Why do you pay/play $4.00 for a golf ball?

I agree with you, even though I tend not to lose balls as often I'm not a fan of spending a lot on balls, I am also a fan of the Vice and Snell balls, to me they are just as good if not better than any tour premium balls

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Not jack the thread but have you played the Vice Pro plus?

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Looks like the My Golf Spy Forum members are pretty frugal with their golfball dollars........as we should be.

• Like 2

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft & 0811 XF w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Titleist T300 48* GW w/Fubuki MV Senior shaft and Edison forged 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33”   Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Ping Ketsch

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

If you ever get a chance do a 'ball fitting'.  Golfsmith did a promotion with Bridgestone and they can ensure you get a ball that matches your spin rate and compression for your swing speed.

Then get some good AAA used ones or look for balls that compare to what you're fit into.

It really does make a difference....

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

Personally I feel like which ball is less important that playing the same ball.

While a lot them perform similarly, you have to know what your ball is going to do before you can be consistent on the course.

If you know a ball isn't going to spin you can play that if it's consistent. If you always suck it back 10' on the green you can play that too. Where it gets difficult is when you keep swapping back and forth and don't understand what your ball is going to do.

Personally I also play the Snell MTB and I have a few dozen TMaG TP-X left. I like them both but when it comes time to buy it's really hard to beat the MTB six pack for performance and price

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I can't remember the last time I actually paid for golf balls so I guess I'm not much help here. I like Pv1x, tmag tpx, Rzn platinum, WS FGX, MG tour, zstar x and even b330 although less so in its case. All are capable balls in my opinion. Whatever works and to each their own. Personally I usually play PV1x or prov1 when it matters but that's just because they are what my club reps and because Titleist has a strangle hold in my market when it comes to premium balls. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I play the project(a).  I like the way they look, feel, and every 5th doz is free per the code under the case top.  I order them direct and get a clover logo, and all of them #7.  Goofy perhaps, but for me consistency is key.  I play with several high handicappers that use a prov1.  With their low club head speed it is unlikely that they compress them fully and would benefit from a low comp ball.  I think they just want one less thing to worry about in regards to equipment holding them back.    

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Personally I feel like which ball is less important that playing the same ball.

While a lot them perform similarly, you have to know what your ball is going to do before you can be consistent on the course.

If you know a ball isn't going to spin you can play that if it's consistent. If you always suck it back 10' on the green you can play that too. Where it gets difficult is when you keep swapping back and forth and don't understand what your ball is going to do.

Personally I also play the Snell MTB and I have a few dozen TMaG TP-X left. I like them both but when it comes time to buy it's really hard to beat the MTB six pack for performance and price

Absolutely agree with this.  I've been using Srixon Z Stars for years, mainly because I know what it will do if I hit it properly, especially into greens and chipping.  I buy in bulk, and I'm happy to play last years model, which keeps the cost down. I've trialled a few different balls over the years, but I don't have time to play enough practice rounds to get used to a different ball.

In Aus, $US4 a ball is bottom end for Pro V's (last years model) We seem to pay a bit extra for balls, especially Titleist.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I play a $4 ball because I got lucky and found it. 

• Like 1
What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

The Smell MTB is a premium ball as are the others described in Plaid's original post. Same construction as a Pro VI or Ix only without the advertising the cost is significantly reduced.

So if the question is why do I play a your type ball it's because it does make a difference. Spin around the greens is huge for my game. I'd have to totally change the shots that I play if the balls that I uses didn't have urethane covers.

Having written that it's very easy to find those balls for under $3 each either by purchasing last year's model or buying the MTB. So I'm currently using last year's iteration of the B330 RX. I picked up 2 dozen for 50.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52, 56  

Ping Glide 3.0  Ping Eye 2 grind 58.8

L.A.B. Mezz.1 32.5"

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Not jack the thread but have you played the Vice Pro plus?

... Played the Vice Pro Plus for the first time yesterday and was very impressed. Everything I want in a golf ball. For reference my favorite ball is the Z Star, with the Lethal/Tour Preferred, Prov1X very close seconds and balls I would not hesitate to play in competition. I would easily put the Pro Plus right there with all them. Nice mid feel of not too soft or too hard, great around the green and as long as any ball I have played. Eagled the first hole and after that, I was concentrating on my shots and  forgot I was even playing a new ball. That speaks volumes about its performance I think. I played the Bridgestone RXS my previous round and was aware I was playing a new ball on every shot, especially iron approaches as well as pitches and chips. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Hybrids:    :taylormade-small: RBZ Tour Hybrid 21.5* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R hy
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-9 MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 46*/50*/58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :bobby-grace-1: 6330 LTD Edition ...  33.5"
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour '23

I have a buddy who is a 6 Hcap. His current gamer is the new Pinnacle Rush....about $15/dozen. Prior to that he was gaming the Wilson fifty elite, $13/dozen. His game lets you know that you font have to pay $4/ball to play well. My current gamer us the Snell MTB, purchased in 3 dozen lots. I have three rounds on one ball with only one small cart path blemish.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

How does the Snell compare with a Teitlest NXT? Like Mike, I havent found one that performs like it. But I've heard a lot about the Snell lately.

• Like 1

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

How does the Snell compare with a Teitlest NXT? Like Mike, I havent found one that performs like it. But I've heard a lot about the Snell lately.

Snell is longer and spins more around the green

• Like 1

Snell is longer and spins more around the green

What he said

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft & 0811 XF w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Titleist T300 48* GW w/Fubuki MV Senior shaft and Edison forged 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33”   Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Ping Ketsch

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

Really really really really liked the MTB this week. Get sum pretty good but really liked the mtb and I've played all the big names and every type they've produced just about

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, Cally XR16 Driver, G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I E1 irons, Vokey SM5 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

• Like 2

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

• 2 weeks later...

I'm able to get Project (a) for $18/dozen and TP for $24/dozen thru a sponsorship (No, I am not sponsored, but where I work is).

Driver - TaylorMade RBZ Stage 1 - 9.5* - Stiff Shaft

3wood - TaylorMade SLDR            - 15*  - Stiff Shaft

Hybrid - Ben Hogan Golf VKTR     - 20*  - Stiff Shaft

- Ben Hogan Golf VKTR     - 24*  - Stiff Shaft

Irons - Ben Hogan Apex Plus - 5-PW - Rifle 5.0 Shaft

Wedges - Cleveland 588 RTX - 52* 56* 60* - Tru-Temper Dynamic Gold Shaft

Putter -Ben Hogan by Bettinardi BHB1-C

Balls -TaylorMade Project (a)

Shoes - Adidas Tour360 Boost - All Black

I would say that the Snell MTB is a step above the NXT, the snell is up in the comparison of pro-v, tour preferred, the NXT to me is a step below those tour balls. It's a very good ball, just not in the same comparison I think the Get sum from snell would be a closer comparison to the NXT.

• Like 1

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• 2 weeks later...

Like a few others I like the short game performance of urethane balls but not the price. I can typically pick up 4A or 5A balls on ebay for under $2 per ball. Like PV1X, bought a last dozen of the 2015 model that look perfect for $20, cheaper than I can buy cheap balls at the store and didn't have to leave my couch...

• Like 1

If you really enjoy playing a top quality tour ball try the MG Tour C4. $19.95/dz. And... you won't have to leave your couch.

• Like 3

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

... Played the Vice Pro Plus for the first time yesterday and was very impressed. Everything I want in a golf ball. For reference my favorite ball is the Z Star, with the Lethal/Tour Preferred, Prov1X very close seconds and balls I would not hesitate to play in competition. I would easily put the Pro Plus right there with all them. Nice mid feel of not too soft or too hard, great around the green and as long as any ball I have played. Eagled the first hole and after that, I was concentrating on my shots and  forgot I was even playing a new ball. That speaks volumes about its performance I think. I played the Bridgestone RXS my previous round and was aware I was playing a new ball on every shot, especially iron approaches as well as pitches and chips.

I'm not familiar with that ball. What's its price point and would it work for a more moderate swinger like me?

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52, 56  

Ping Glide 3.0  Ping Eye 2 grind 58.8

L.A.B. Mezz.1 32.5"

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them