PlaidJacket

Why do you pay/play $4.00 for a golf ball?

I agree with you, even though I tend not to lose balls as often I'm not a fan of spending a lot on balls, I am also a fan of the Vice and Snell balls, to me they are just as good if not better than any tour premium balls

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Not jack the thread but have you played the Vice Pro plus?

Looks like the My Golf Spy Forum members are pretty frugal with their golfball dollars........as we should be.

• Like 2

If you ever get a chance do a 'ball fitting'.  Golfsmith did a promotion with Bridgestone and they can ensure you get a ball that matches your spin rate and compression for your swing speed.

Then get some good AAA used ones or look for balls that compare to what you're fit into.

It really does make a difference....

Personally I feel like which ball is less important that playing the same ball.

While a lot them perform similarly, you have to know what your ball is going to do before you can be consistent on the course.

If you know a ball isn't going to spin you can play that if it's consistent. If you always suck it back 10' on the green you can play that too. Where it gets difficult is when you keep swapping back and forth and don't understand what your ball is going to do.

Personally I also play the Snell MTB and I have a few dozen TMaG TP-X left. I like them both but when it comes time to buy it's really hard to beat the MTB six pack for performance and price

• Like 1

I can't remember the last time I actually paid for golf balls so I guess I'm not much help here. I like Pv1x, tmag tpx, Rzn platinum, WS FGX, MG tour, zstar x and even b330 although less so in its case. All are capable balls in my opinion. Whatever works and to each their own. Personally I usually play PV1x or prov1 when it matters but that's just because they are what my club reps and because Titleist has a strangle hold in my market when it comes to premium balls. 

I play the project(a).  I like the way they look, feel, and every 5th doz is free per the code under the case top.  I order them direct and get a clover logo, and all of them #7.  Goofy perhaps, but for me consistency is key.  I play with several high handicappers that use a prov1.  With their low club head speed it is unlikely that they compress them fully and would benefit from a low comp ball.  I think they just want one less thing to worry about in regards to equipment holding them back.    

I have three sleeves left of my all time favorite ball and am hesitant to use them :) Srixon Z-URS. Wish they kept making them.

Personally I feel like which ball is less important that playing the same ball.

While a lot them perform similarly, you have to know what your ball is going to do before you can be consistent on the course.

If you know a ball isn't going to spin you can play that if it's consistent. If you always suck it back 10' on the green you can play that too. Where it gets difficult is when you keep swapping back and forth and don't understand what your ball is going to do.

Personally I also play the Snell MTB and I have a few dozen TMaG TP-X left. I like them both but when it comes time to buy it's really hard to beat the MTB six pack for performance and price

Absolutely agree with this.  I've been using Srixon Z Stars for years, mainly because I know what it will do if I hit it properly, especially into greens and chipping.  I buy in bulk, and I'm happy to play last years model, which keeps the cost down. I've trialled a few different balls over the years, but I don't have time to play enough practice rounds to get used to a different ball.

In Aus, $US4 a ball is bottom end for Pro V's (last years model) We seem to pay a bit extra for balls, especially Titleist.

I play a $4 ball because I got lucky and found it. 

• Like 1

The Smell MTB is a premium ball as are the others described in Plaid's original post. Same construction as a Pro VI or Ix only without the advertising the cost is significantly reduced.

So if the question is why do I play a your type ball it's because it does make a difference. Spin around the greens is huge for my game. I'd have to totally change the shots that I play if the balls that I uses didn't have urethane covers.

Having written that it's very easy to find those balls for under $3 each either by purchasing last year's model or buying the MTB. So I'm currently using last year's iteration of the B330 RX. I picked up 2 dozen for 50.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Not jack the thread but have you played the Vice Pro plus?

... Played the Vice Pro Plus for the first time yesterday and was very impressed. Everything I want in a golf ball. For reference my favorite ball is the Z Star, with the Lethal/Tour Preferred, Prov1X very close seconds and balls I would not hesitate to play in competition. I would easily put the Pro Plus right there with all them. Nice mid feel of not too soft or too hard, great around the green and as long as any ball I have played. Eagled the first hole and after that, I was concentrating on my shots and  forgot I was even playing a new ball. That speaks volumes about its performance I think. I played the Bridgestone RXS my previous round and was aware I was playing a new ball on every shot, especially iron approaches as well as pitches and chips. 

I have a buddy who is a 6 Hcap. His current gamer is the new Pinnacle Rush....about $15/dozen. Prior to that he was gaming the Wilson fifty elite, $13/dozen. His game lets you know that you font have to pay $4/ball to play well. My current gamer us the Snell MTB, purchased in 3 dozen lots. I have three rounds on one ball with only one small cart path blemish.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

How does the Snell compare with a Teitlest NXT? Like Mike, I havent found one that performs like it. But I've heard a lot about the Snell lately.

• Like 1

How does the Snell compare with a Teitlest NXT? Like Mike, I havent found one that performs like it. But I've heard a lot about the Snell lately.

Snell is longer and spins more around the green

• Like 1

Snell is longer and spins more around the green

What he said

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Really really really really liked the MTB this week. Get sum pretty good but really liked the mtb and I've played all the big names and every type they've produced just about

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, Cally XR16 Driver, G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I E1 irons, Vokey SM5 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

• Like 2

I'm able to get Project (a) for $18/dozen and TP for $24/dozen thru a sponsorship (No, I am not sponsored, but where I work is).

I would say that the Snell MTB is a step above the NXT, the snell is up in the comparison of pro-v, tour preferred, the NXT to me is a step below those tour balls. It's a very good ball, just not in the same comparison I think the Get sum from snell would be a closer comparison to the NXT.

• Like 1

Like a few others I like the short game performance of urethane balls but not the price. I can typically pick up 4A or 5A balls on ebay for under $2 per ball. Like PV1X, bought a last dozen of the 2015 model that look perfect for $20, cheaper than I can buy cheap balls at the store and didn't have to leave my couch...

• Like 1

If you really enjoy playing a top quality tour ball try the MG Tour C4. $19.95/dz. And... you won't have to leave your couch.

• Like 3

... Played the Vice Pro Plus for the first time yesterday and was very impressed. Everything I want in a golf ball. For reference my favorite ball is the Z Star, with the Lethal/Tour Preferred, Prov1X very close seconds and balls I would not hesitate to play in competition. I would easily put the Pro Plus right there with all them. Nice mid feel of not too soft or too hard, great around the green and as long as any ball I have played. Eagled the first hole and after that, I was concentrating on my shots and  forgot I was even playing a new ball. That speaks volumes about its performance I think. I played the Bridgestone RXS my previous round and was aware I was playing a new ball on every shot, especially iron approaches as well as pitches and chips.

I'm not familiar with that ball. What's its price point and would it work for a more moderate swinger like me?