TESTERS WANTED! ×

TOP-SECRET: Drivers With Computer Chips!

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Could This Bring The $400 Driver Out Of Extinction?

What will be the next REAL technological advance in drivers? No…not the type of “hype technology” we are becoming accustomed to. I mean one that will actually make golfers shell out $400-500 bucks for a driver again?

In my opinion the days of $400 drivers are very close to becoming extinct and the only thing that can raise them from the dead and keep them off the “Endangered Species (Drivers) List” is to actually come out with a driver that will make golfers be willing to wait in a line wrapped around a building to be able say “I got one of the 1st FILL IN THE BLANK Drivers! You know…the feeling Steve Jobs creates every time he launches a new iPhone…like the new iPhone 4 which just launched that had some buyers waiting in lines for over 10 hours to be able to snag one of the first new gadgets.

READ FULL ARTICLE: http://www.mygolfspy.com/computer-chip-driver/

#TruthDigest

This is pretty interesting, but to answer the question posted in the article: No, I would not wait in line for this nor would I pay $400 for it. There's no club (other than the putter) that I would pay $400 for...probably not even $300. I think a lot of people might wonder if jamming a computer chip and pressure sensitive panel would not take away from the performance of the club. Also, would this club be legal to use during play? On the range this could be fun for measuring swing speed, checking contact, etc, but I definitely wouldn't be spending serious money on it. If I want to know my swing speed, there are plenty of golf stores with launch monitors that I can use for free. If I want to know about my contact, I can use impact tape.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

While I understand that you can use swing speed monitors and impact tape why would you want to have three devices when you could have one that did it all...they are saying they will have many other features in the future.

Just curious Matt...the evolution of products that tend to work well for the consumer are often times those that can replace many other items inside one invention.

#TruthDigest

I can see it now... a guy on a tee box with one of these. Another guy hiding in the bushes with a little black box with 4 antennas... gigglin his keester off while the guy on the tee scratches his head. :lol:

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

I think this would be a great idea. It would probably have me waiting in line wrapped around the corner of my local golf shop. What are the chances that will be USGA approved? Nevertheless, I would love to see this type of a product come out.

With golf drivers no matter how fancy they get, the max price OEM's will charge for drivers (barring major inflation) is $400, which is what they charge now. I guess i am trying to say that I just wouldn't pay extra for it. Most drivers are already $300-$400 anyway, so that would not be a huge price to pay.

While I understand that you can use swing speed monitors and impact tape why would you want to have three devices when you could have one that did it all...they are saying they will have many other features in the future.

Just curious Matt...the evolution of products that tend to work well for the consumer are often times those that can replace many other items inside one invention.

That's a fair point, and for some people there would be value in having 1 device that could do those 2 things. I guess the bigger/better point is this: I know what my swing speed is, generally speaking. I don't really care what it is from swing to swing. I know, based on feel, where the ball hit the face, so I don't really need tape or a computer for that.

If there are more features coming down the road, I'm all ears.

I hope my tone in my first post, and in this one, is not taken as being negative or rude - that's not my intent. I always appreciate the info that I get here at MGS, and I appreciate the OEMs pushing the envelope and giving us new options. I was simply trying to explain why this particular idea doesn't push my "Gotta have it" button.

I have to believe that Idea comes from Adams... Dixx Putters and all.....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Marketing is the reason drivers got to $400, not results. The only way to get more $$ out of drivers is to romanticize a whiz bang shaft with the latest tech head. But in this economy, $200-300 is going to be your bread and butter.

You'll always have a handful of first adapters, who want the latest tech first and have the coin to indulge themselves.

$100 worth of lessons is the only investment that quickly improved my game. I'm pretty sure it's the only thing that will get me back to single digits, along with the time to practice. We pop for new equipment because of tech and because it's fun to gain a couple yards off the tee and putt better. But my biggest club gains were had by getting fitted for irons, not a particular brand. I'll pay more for forged clubs, but not a lot more.

I think we often buy new tech hoping it allows us a short cut to maintaining our game when our lives don't allow for the time to work at our game. Kind of like buying an "A" game with only "B" or "C" time and effort. Good marketing departments attempt to convince us that it's possible.

• SPY VIP

Trust me SprinklerHead... if they come out with a technology that is worthy people will once again line up to pay $400 for a driver.

#TruthDigest

Technology is inescapable. I imagine someone like MSat was holding forth on the idea of a cell phone 20 years ago saying "who needs that? They're big and bulky and I'm not paying for it!"

This is the type of technology that we really probably can't fully grasp the ramifications of right now, and how it could change the way we not necessarily play the game, but the way we learn the game, and the way we think about the golf swing. The time will come (quicker than you think) where you won't be able to find a club without a sensor in it, and soon enough we'll be downloading EVERY SWING into our computers and finding out exactly why it is that we're hitting a 30' duck hook!

Chips in drivers, sensors on clubs that wirelessly connect to GPS units?! Incredible stuff. Now imagine a tiny accelerometer in a golf ball.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Technology is inescapable. I imagine someone like MSat was holding forth on the idea of a cell phone 20 years ago saying "who needs that? They're big and bulky and I'm not paying for it!"

This is the type of technology that we really probably can't fully grasp the ramifications of right now, and how it could change the way we not necessarily play the game, but the way we learn the game, and the way we think about the golf swing. The time will come (quicker than you think) where you won't be able to find a club without a sensor in it, and soon enough we'll be downloading EVERY SWING into our computers and finding out exactly why it is that we're hitting a 30' duck hook!

Chips in drivers, sensors on clubs that wirelessly connect to GPS units?! Incredible stuff. Now imagine a tiny accelerometer in a golf ball.

Resident luddite, checking in. :blink:

For the record, I was all systems go on cell phones - my dad had one of those car phones that you bolted to your cars floor back in the late 80's and I loved it.

I agree with one thing you said, and I mentioned it myself: that we (or at least I) don't know how this tech could be used. If there's more to come than swing speed and where you hit the ball, bring it on. If it could show me my swing path and face angle at impact, then I would be all for it - that would be a very powerful practice/teaching tool that I would love to have.

• SPY VIP

Dont sweat it Matt I did not think your comment to be negative or rude at all. That is one thing I hope we can change on this forum compared to others.

People sometimes feel bad about speaking their minds on forums for the fear they will get booted or something...so they are trained to apologize everytime they actually say exactly what they are thinking. I welcome all your true honest opinions...just expect to get mine back :D

Honestly I love to hear how all you feel about the things I write...that is what the site is all about.

That's a fair point, and for some people there would be value in having 1 device that could do those 2 things. I guess the bigger/better point is this: I know what my swing speed is, generally speaking. I don't really care what it is from swing to swing. I know, based on feel, where the ball hit the face, so I don't really need tape or a computer for that.

If there are more features coming down the road, I'm all ears.

I hope my tone in my first post, and in this one, is not taken as being negative or rude - that's not my intent. I always appreciate the info that I get here at MGS, and I appreciate the OEMs pushing the envelope and giving us new options. I was simply trying to explain why this particular idea doesn't push my "Gotta have it" button.

#TruthDigest

Can it be programmed to always hit the ball where we want it to?

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

So who's the company?

It's a good idea, but I don't like the shape of the head at all.

How about a ball with a chip in it that did the same thing, told you speed, spin, distance and a gps so you can find it, not asking too much.....

• SPY VIP

It would be very cool to have a file generated while playing that could be reviewed after. Seamless incorporation of technology. Someone out there will go mental and have to have the numbers every shot, even practice shots, but that is just how it it. Bring it on.

Matt can probably get his persimmon model custom made to spec. :rolleyes:

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Being able to get feed back on the course, I would pay 400.00 for a driver with a chip like that.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

This would be a flash in the pan idea that would not last long. I had an iphone that was loaded with apps I thought I wanted but after using them one or two times never used them again. I pretty much can tell if I got a ball in the sweet spot or not.

golf ball accelerometer? Yeah, that could work. along with gps and sinc it to ur iphone and now its something useful. can't lose it unless it goes in the drink, but still that would be the best way to use this technology. where is that patent application?

see this as being similar to the heated skate blades for ice hockey idea that recieved alot of fan fare, only to be a huge disappointment and irrelevant in the game today. Now maybe for fitting and stuff this would be cool, but just dont see the point

Ts3 w. 9.5 oban isawa 75g xflex

tsi2 15deg w. Addi 85x 

Vintage 712u 3i with x100

MP18 4-9 w. X100

t7 wedges x100

newport2 heavy 

Interesting article for sure but again, like many have indicated $350-$400 is pretty steep...well, for me at least. Now, as a training aid that may open up a huge potential. Knowing where on club face it was hit, swing speed, and angle of approach couldn't hurt, could it??? Then again, after every shot you would have to record what the heck the shot did and correlate that to the file and hope the heck they match up.

Driver: ADAMS Pro Speed 10 degree

Three wood: Orlimar Trimetal 12 degree with ProGold shaft

Hybrid: 18 degree Nike CPR

Hybrid: 24 degree Nike CPR

5-GW: ADAMS Pro Black CB1

SW: 56 degree (two dot) Cleveland CG15 Black Pearl

LW: 60 degree (two dot) Cleveland CG15 Black Pearl

Putter: Rossa Classic Daytona (Black)

It would be very cool to have a file generated while playing that could be reviewed after. Seamless incorporation of technology. Someone out there will go mental and have to have the numbers every shot, even practice shots, but that is just how it it. Bring it on.

Matt can probably get his persimmon model custom made to spec. ;)

Agree with being able to review data after the round. Mark which drives were good/bad on the card and see the different characteristics of impact.

It's bad enough already with players hitting multiple balls - no matter how busy the course is - off tees. I would hate to play behind the group that hits, looks at the screen for each player, and hits again until they catch that "one" solid drive. :lol:

Then at the next tee.................

Or we could go the other way, tie video to the club/pod and analyze all data right there!

Feed back for the round on my iphone, I like that, but I also like after I hit the tee shot, in the cart going towards the ball, seeing the feed back also

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I wasn't intending to pick on you personally MSat, nor did I ever think you were rude! We're just talkin', right?

My point was I knew alot of people that were anti cell phone for years, even after the technology became mainstream and inescapable! My point was only that this type of thinking, sensors in clubs, is really just the tip of the iceberg. There will likely come a time when golfers will take this for granted. And $400 for a driver with this type of technology in it? That's nothing. Hell, there are still sometimes $400 drivers out there that DON'T have this! Not to mention $500 shafts, etc. So that price, if the technology works and is useful, is more than reasonable. Would I buy it? Not immediately, I'm rarely an early adopter of technology, I like to wait for 2nd and 3rd generations of products, figure I'll let everyone else work the kinks out and I'll benefit from that down the road with a better product at a cheaper price.

This will progress to having accelerometers (think Wii remote) in a clubhead. You will be able to tell precisely where the club is at any point in your swing. Combine that with video analysis, and you'll have a hell of a teaching tool! I question its value on course, or moreso, I question the average golfers ability to understand and make use of the information provided on the fly. Just because I KNOW I'm not getting through the ball and leaving the club face open doesn't mean I won't do the same thing on the very next swing, no matter if I feel it, or a computer tells me I'm doing it!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Archived