Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Rick Shiels / Mark Crossfield videos

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 7:57 AM, Shankster said:

I’ve given up on these two guys. Used to enjoy their content. But now it’s as if Rick is tip toeing around not to make OEM’s mad, and Mark... has gotten a little crazy as he aged. I don’t like goofball stuff, and that is what I see.

Plus marks short game is that of a 20 handicap.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Rick certainly didn't tip toe around Ping and Titleist in a video this week where he ripped them for the G410 LST and TS1/4.

I’ve given up on these two guys. Used to enjoy their content. But now it’s as if Rick is tip toeing around not to make OEM’s mad, and Mark... has gotten a little crazy as he aged. I don’t like goofball stuff, and that is what I see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

1 hour ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Rick certainly didn't tip toe around Ping and Titleist in a video this week where he ripped them for the G410 LST and TS1/4.

One of the reasons I stopped watching him. Ping came out and said the last would be a summer release. The ts1/4 makes perfect sense for titleist. Give the two ends of the spectrum something to fit their needs that weren’t there almost a year ago at the release. 

Both companies release when something is better than previous release. Getting a low spin head in ts4 based on feedback from pros with their experience with the ts3 and then release after others had their stuff out for a few months

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Yeah, that video irked me. Everyone knew an LST was on the way as soon as they could beat the previous one. Rick's saying the rep he spoke too said they didn't have any plans to even make one when he asked which is just not even remotely accurate. Nor do I think Titleist had any desire when TS2/3 were first launched to introduce a TS1/4 so his ripping of them for that is also just silly. They were more a response to Titleist not reaching certain areas of the market when TS2/3 first came out. I can't for the life of me figure out how that's a bad thing, to offer a wider range of clubs to suit a wider range of golfers.

Though it wasn't as bad as Golf Vlogs UK and his 4 video series ripping PXG drivers without doing a shred of research on them (he roasted the naming scheme continually without bothering to look up why it's called the 0811).

One of the reasons I stopped watching him. Ping came out and said the last would be a summer release. The ts1/4 makes perfect sense for titleist. Give the two ends of the spectrum something to fit their needs that weren’t there almost a year ago at the release. 
Both companies release when something is better than previous release. Getting a low spin head in ts4 based on feedback from pros with their experience with the ts3 and then release after others had their stuff out for a few months

2 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Yeah, that video irked me. Everyone knew an LST was on the way as soon as they could beat the previous one. Rick's saying the rep he spoke too said they didn't have any plans to even make one when he asked which is just not even remotely accurate. Nor do I think Titleist had any desire when TS2/3 were first launched to introduce a TS1/4 so his ripping of them for that is also just silly. They were more a response to Titleist not reaching certain areas of the market when TS2/3 first came out. I can't for the life of me figure out how that's a bad thing, to offer a wider range of clubs to suit a wider range of golfers.

Though it wasn't as bad as Golf Vlogs UK and his 4 video series ripping PXG drivers without doing a shred of research on them (he roasted the naming scheme continually without bothering to look up why it's called the 0811).

Rick is about click bait these days which is fine because it’s about views to get the ad dollars from YouTube. He’s also anti releases and for whatever reason choices are bad.

pxg is a brand that has very little middle ground they are either a love or hate brand and many of the haters just hate without doing any research or testing the gear. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I subscribe to and enjoy both.  I like both for their club reviews and their honesty.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I tend to respect the Me & My Golf guys opinion the most (on instruction). But I certainly enjoy watching Crossfield and Shiels. At the end of the day, it's all about idea generation, and not gospel. Everyone's game is so unique, it's important to know when to incorporate a new idea and when to ignore something because it doesn't fit your game.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Tour Burner (in the process of replacing)

3 Wood: :755178188_TourEdge: CBX 13.5* Project-X HZRDUS Black 6.0

3 Hybrid: :755178188_TourEdge: CBX Iron-Wood 19* Project-X HZRDUS Black 6.0

4-50*: :titelist-small: 718 AP2 Project-X LZ 6.5

56*, 60*: Vokey SM7 Raw S-Grind 56*, M-Grind 60*

Putter: Tommy Armour Impact Series No. 3 Alignment Putter 34'' Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star

Other: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Range-Finder, :Arccos: Caddie Smart-Sensors 2.0

I'm pretty sure I've commented before about who I prefer and why, but anymore who gives a flip?!!! I'd rather be golfing than watching any of them!!!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Used to watch both but then found GolfVlogsUK, the Average Golfer, TXG, Golf Sidekick and Mike Newton.  That's a good blend of tech, comedy, course vlog, course management and club testing.   Matt from Golf Sidekick has probably helped my game more than anyone by helping me think my way around the course better.  He's also entertaining and right to the point, no fluff. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/2/2019 at 5:39 AM, Mizunoal said:

Relatively new guy James Robinson is worth a look, very knowledgeable, and entertaining at the same time.

I just started watching James Robinson recently, and I like him and how he has his mid-handicapper come in to test products.  He seems to be, as you said, very knowledgeable, and the video where he went for a putting lesson actually helped me with things to work on in my putting stroke.  "Let's do it, and let's do it now."

I also watch Rick Shiels, though a lot of what I am reading in this thread makes me question that.  It's mostly for entertainment value though so I guess it's not a big deal.  MrShortGame is another one I'm subscribed to.  I didn't really like the style of his videos at first, but he has grown on me.  He seems to know what he's talking about and has a lot of good tips and drills for improving.  

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 10.5* Helium Shaft

Woods: :taylormade-small: R580 5W, 7W

Hybrids: Nicklaus Dual Point 4H

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback One Length 6i - PW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact 3

Bag: :Ogio: Grom 14-way stand bag

Ball: GolfJet Jet 4

Rangefinder: NX7 Pro or ShotScope V2

On 7/2/2019 at 6:39 AM, Mizunoal said:

Relatively new guy James Robinson is worth a look, very knowledgeable, and entertaining at the same time.

yep, I've been watchig him for the past couple months or so.  I enjoy his content and presentation.  "Let's do it, and let's do it now" 

Also unless I missed it nobody has mentioned Alex Etches and GolfBox.   I know his wing speed is not one any of us mere mortals watch so I can''t relate to his numbers, but he is uniquely entertaining and a super nice guy.  I spent time with him at the last two PGA Shows and we had nice chats. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 8/23/2019 at 3:42 PM, MomoMan83 said:

MrShortGame is another one I'm subscribed to.  I didn't really like the style of his videos at first, but he has grown on me.  He seems to know what he's talking about and has a lot of good tips and drills for improving.  

He's a pretty funny and quirky. But his tips are good. He also has a lot of great drills for practice if that's your kind of thing.

Update as to what I currently will watch: TXG, Golf Sidekick, Mr. ShortGame, Fried Eggs Golf.

I gave up on Golfholics as they can get rather annoying at times and there's not a whole to learn. I enjoy TXG because of the data, but I think Golf Sidekick is tough to beat because it's a nice cross between mental instruction and round vlogs.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

yep, I've been watchig him for the past couple months or so.  I enjoy his content and presentation.  "Let's do it, and let's do it now" 
Also unless I missed it nobody has mentioned Alex Etches and GolfBox.   I know his wing speed is not one any of us mere mortals watch so I can''t relate to his numbers, but he is uniquely entertaining and a super nice guy.  I spent time with him at the last two PGA Shows and we had nice chats. 

Really enjoy Alex. He's engaging and I like his reviews. I really like how he ends with hitting high/low fades and draws and he trys till he gets it. It feels honest and unpretentious. I used to really like Mark Crossfield (been watching him for quite a few years now) but I watch him less now - feels a bit pretentious somehow. Seems to know what he's talking about so I don't mean that - idk - I just don't enjoy him as much anymore. That's one of the things I really like about TXG - Ian is clearly someone who knows his stuff and he carries himself with a lot of grace and humility. Honestly I really enjoy Eric Anders Lang - he does great videos about a great many things in the golf industry. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I'm liking the guy Dan who plays on Crossfields channel. seems a decent guy, non contentious and a decent player.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

15 hours ago, edingc said:

He's a pretty funny and quirky. But his tips are good. He also has a lot of great drills for practice if that's your kind of thing.

Update as to what I currently will watch: TXG, Golf Sidekick, Mr. ShortGame, Fried Eggs Golf.

I gave up on Golfholics as they can get rather annoying at times and there's not a whole to learn. I enjoy TXG because of the data, but I think Golf Sidekick is tough to beat because it's a nice cross between mental instruction and round vlogs.

Completely agree with the list. Randy from Fried Eggs is really damn funny as is Alex Etches. 

Golfaholics drives me insane. Here's basically the channel in a nutshell. 

- Big Cat is hitting a shot with coach filming.

- Hits shot

- Coach "Oh, this looks really good! Starting left turning back over to the pin"

Comes up 20 yards short

I skip most of the on course vlog Crossfield videos particularly the ones where it's 3 or 4 of them at some course/resort.  In the past, most of those videos just seemed to be the guys fooling around.  Maybe they're different now.  I don't know.  I will watch some of his other content though.

I will watch Shiels when the topic looks interesting.  Other than that I don't automatically gravitate toward his videos.

I like The Average Golfer quite a bit.  His clubhead speeds and carry distances tend to be about the same as mine so I like to see him hit different clubs in different on course scenarios.  Also, I like his mentality and approach to reviewing new and different clubs.  I generally watch most of his content.

I'm liking the guy Dan who plays on Crossfields channel. seems a decent guy, non contentious and a decent player.

Totally agree - like Dan quite a bit. Solid player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

• 4 weeks later...

I've watched both for the last 4-5 years. Mark has really mixed up his channel over the last 2 years. Instead of just doing reviews from the practice center to reviews from home and various courses, etc. Rick has done a little bit of that but sticks to keeping his equipment reviews at the range mostly. 

I like Alex Etches also. Would be awesome to see these 3 and throw in a Pete or Mike Newton for a foursome match.

Oddly enough, all these guys are from the UK? Are there any US characters out there that do this sort of thing? 

My Favorites are: 

- Be better golf: very interesting to hear so many different teachers ideas on the swing

- TXG: best for equipment information

- Peter Finch: loves his accent haha

- Martin Chuck: one of my favorite for information on the swing. He explains things so well. He also has one of the prettiest swings on the planet. 

- Steve Johnston PGA - has some investing ideas

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:13 AM, Yadirtydog! said:

Completely agree with the list. Randy from Fried Eggs is really damn funny as is Alex Etches. 

Golfaholics drives me insane. Here's basically the channel in a nutshell. 

- Big Cat is hitting a shot with coach filming.

- Hits shot

- Coach "Oh, this looks really good! Starting left turning back over to the pin"

Comes up 20 yards short

Don't forget the "speed slot"

I like Crossfield for the course Vlogs.

Just some buddies playing golf and needling each other.

For reviews and tech stuff  it's hard to beat TXG.

I like Fried eggs for the humor.

Edited by Boogy

i like a lot of these guys but every reviewer is the same. They do the same boring stuff and there is too much fluff in the videos. The industry needs a reboot as far as these guys go. They are all great but seeing the same format 200x over and over again has chased me away.    Looking for a new fresh approach from someone.

Golf is cool

• 3 months later...

Well, it sure seems like Rick is dead set on trying to see how badly he can piss off TaylorMade and Callaway with his two most recent uploads.

I don't watch much of Shiels anymore, but the Callaway box set video was fun to watch.  

No love here for NLU?  I'll admit that I'm a huge fan of their stuff.

I'm also a fan of Golf Sidekick.  He definitely has me thinking about my course management.

I'm pretty much over Golfholics.

And I'll watch EAL from time to time.  My daughters and I were big fans of Adventures in Golf.  Random Golf Club is good as well.  Not as big a fan of his celebrity stuff.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I unsubbed from Shiels. I realized I hadn't clicked on any of his videos in a few months, and I watched parts of his "Secret" videos. His earlier educational stuff was great. Now it seems to be just clickbait videos designed to get a reaction. Not for me. 

Give me Golf Sidekick and Mike Bury any day of the week. The "bigger" golf YouTubers all seem to have given up on trying to be informative and educating. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

I unsubbed from Shiels. I realized I hadn't clicked on any of his videos in a few months, and I watched parts of his "Secret" videos. His earlier educational stuff was great. Now it seems to be just clickbait videos designed to get a reaction. Not for me. 

Give me Golf Sidekick and Mike Bury any day of the week. The "bigger" golf YouTubers all seem to have given up on trying to be informative and educating. 

I watched one of his videos when he talked about a putter and ball combo would revolutionize putting them a few week later he released the video o the triple track putters.

while that probably helps a bunch of people line up their putts it doesn’t help them pick the right line or speed. His channel has been more clock bait than anything lately. Like you I haven’t watched many of his videos lately and only reason I had watched the one was to see what he had to say about the sim drivers as some had mentioned he didn’t get any increase with sim which was different from everything else I had seen around the Internet 

Shiels is complete trash now. Maybe his ego has gotten too big after his appearance on Driver vs Driver.... Can’t stand his videos anymore. Total trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I don't mind Rick.... I'll admit I don't watch as much as I used to but some of the stuff is interesting.

He's been doing this for so long I don't know how much more he can do of the same thing again and again.

I liked when he and Pete went and bought used and cheap clubs and then played them.  I thought that was great and showed that you didn't have to have a bunch of money to start playing golf.  I think that's what he is showing with the "box" sets he's talked about it recently - both callaway and the less expensive TM driver.

I think he just wants to show folks that just because club prices are really high and continue to go up doesn't mean that it's impossible to start playing golf if you're interested.  I remember I bought my first set in a box from Costco when I started playing for around 150.

I can appreciate the fact that he's trying to show that the barrier to entry isn't what it appears to be.

Another thing I like is that a lot of his videos are between 7 and 10 minutes, on average.  

That's what kind of turns me off about TXG - there stuff is way too long...I don't want to watch a 30 minute video on a TM SIM driver.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024: