TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rick Shiels / Mark Crossfield videos

Particularly the last few months, I feel like Shiels is getting very click-baity. Not a huge fan of that sort of content myself.

Really enjoy TXG's deep dives into equipment, although I get they might be a bit too long for some. I find it really interesting and think they do a very professional job. Tough for me to hate Crossfield either, he shoots it pretty straight.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

It's all about team Al!

Go golfbox!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I think he just wants to show folks that just because club prices are really high and continue to go up doesn't mean that it's impossible to start playing golf if you're interested.  I remember I bought my first set in a box from Costco when I started playing for around 150.

I do agree with this, but others have done it as well without all the hyperbole.
What truly annoys me is that he’ll go on about “Why are these clubs priced so differently?” without discussing things like manufacturing tolerances, quality checks, premium materials, or the latest tech. All of which greatly influence the price and performance. Instead he just ignores that so he can cry about price gouging. I’m not trying to suggest that I think current prices are exactly fair, but it seems he’s much more concerned with generating views than informing golfers.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

It's all about team Al!

Go golfbox!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

I've recently discovered his channel and have it say it's quite entertaining. His Outer Bounds videos are hilarious, especially the one where he's reviewing the Hammer.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 2 months later...
On 6/27/2016 at 9:41 AM, Sproutland said:

Rob Potter is the best. He should have his own channel.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

He moved to the US and does now and is down to 5 or so handi cap, he was great on RSG.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:23 PM, FrogginBullfish said:

Well, it sure seems like Rick is dead set on trying to see how badly he can piss off TaylorMade and Callaway with his two most recent uploads.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

He is sticking up for the real average golfer for value and performance.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

I love both Rick and Mark!  Mark is probably my favorite on youtube!  Love watching his games with coach and the gang.  Love his club reviews.  Some other guys I've really been enjoying are the Bryan Bros Golf.  Wesley is on the Pga and has won a tournament, his brother George is also a pro i think.  Recently they have been playing matches against each other and they are very good matches.  I also really like Peter Finch he has a great channel.  Another channel that i've really enjoyed lately is Kyle Berkshire.  You might know him for winning the world long drive last year.  Well he is also a really good golfer and has been posting rounds of him playing.  He also post all his numbers after each shot and they are insane!  Ive never heard a sound like he makes hitting the golf ball it is incredible!  Check him out for sure. 

On 4/9/2019 at 8:57 PM, mysterygolfguy said:

I like to watch TOP SPEED GOLF with Clay Ballard. He has really good instructional videos and goes into more detail than Rick does on his instruction videos. He's my go to guy with fixes.

Just watched a clay ballard video last night love his stuff! 

• 2 weeks later...

I like Rick Shiels.  More for his equipment reviews or his "what if i" challenges.  

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

6 minutes ago, knightsofnii said:

I like Rick Shiels.  More for his equipment reviews or his "what if i" challenges.  

Rick seems to know that sweet spot in how long to make his videos.... 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

1 minute ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Rick seems to know that sweet spot in how long to make his videos.... 

Yea, he's got the whole daily video thing down for sure.  

I'd love to be able to do that with my board building operation 🙂

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

Just now, knightsofnii said:

Yea, he's got the whole daily video thing down for sure.  

I'd love to be able to do that with my board building operation 🙂

I like how he gets right to the point, does his thing and that's the end. 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I have been watching the Rick Shiels channel and Stacked Golf for a couple of months.  Shiels is pretty good with the education and giving the "whys & why nots" about clubs, shots, balls, etc... I did watch the most recent one where he tested out the boxes of clubs he has received from manufacturers over the past few months.  I suggested that he could conduct a raffle of the equipment to raise money for hospital/first responder PPE.  I would not mind scoring a new set of (insert name of favorite brand of club here) irons as long as it goes to a good cause.  The Stacked Golf channel is entertaining and I do enjoy watching them on their thrift store journeys for clubs.  They do test them out, he is a pretty good golfer and his wife is "the world's best putter".  I get a kick out of them and sometimes they do a little golf course fishing, which is nice.

On 5/1/2020 at 6:13 PM, silver & black said:

What is board building?

I build snowboards 🙂

Previous forum tests:

I used to watch a lot of Rick Shiels and Crossfield. Now, I do not really like either of them. Rick's game has gotten so bad that I am not that interested in his opinion anymore. Crossfield bores me with his constant "shaft does not matter". Plus it seems he has burned a lot of people. Lots of break ups around him. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

I'm totally hooked on the team from No Laying Up - the Tourist Sauce productions have inspired me to plan a trip to Ireland. It looks like an incredibly beautiful and challenging golf environment. I also enjoy watching Malaska (more of an instructional site) just because he's so fed up with bad form that he can't help but express his chagrin with whomever he happens to be paired with on the show. Shiels/Robinson/Finch are good to go for the Brits and the award for strangest commentary goes to Golf Sidekick.

Icarito rules! 

#NoLayingUp

I like to watch a variety of videos to get different opinions.  Rick, Mark, TXG and anyone else that I can find. After watching several videos on the same topic, than I can make up my own mind as to what product to try out etc.  

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

On 7/1/2016 at 4:19 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Love how the two of them wear identical outfits.  Cracks me up!  Can you imagine if you played with 2 guys that wore the exact same thing??

BTW - just realized they are all from the UK.  where are the US guys?  I like Michael Breed & Martin Hall on the golf channel too.

Many are from the UK for sure. Shawn Clement, Clay Ballard, and scratch golf academy are great for instruction from the US. Golfaholics is good if you like to watch playing ( the guys can be a bit douchey, but they play a lot of nice courses, and play with some attractive women).

I follow quote a few YouTubers including the usual suspects, Crossfield, Finch and Shiels. A channel I just found along this similar style is James Robinson

For some humor and love of the game I enjoy Fried Eggs Golf and the golf adventures of a son and dad on a backyard 9 hole par 3 course, Golfmates (GolfVlogsUK) is channel that is all about the golf community. Alex Etches out of Australia is fun, he made club with a hose as a shaft (LOL) He also did a fun VLOG with Alice Cooper. They don't take themselves too seriously.

The Average Golfer has recently done some videos with wonderful production values. His drone footage on some the UK links are stunning. Golfholics is another channel with really high production values and really good drone footage. SAS Golf has done some good videos on e-bay finds which are fun to watch. Along the same vein Stacked Golf is good. This husband and wife team from Florida hit Flea Markets and Thrift Shops in search of deals on clubs then try them out on the course.

For club building Jim McCleery has a good channel McGolf Custom Clubs. Jim reshafted my 18* driving iron.

Hmm I do watch of a lot of YouTube golf. Oh and the I have been enjoying the final rounds of the Masters as well as a lot of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

On 6/27/2016 at 9:13 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

What are you favorite golf video blogs on youtube?   

I started watching Mark Crossfield a couple of years ago and he's got some good stuff.

Recently found Rick Shiels videos on youtube and the thing I like about him is he's got a tester that is a mid-handicap hitting clubs and giving his feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gSEt6sX9U4&list=PLKnkfgDBi62kF5MjPySEw8mUzV3bAgHtE

I enjoy Rick, his no one brand bag Of clubs and honest feedback is nice to see.  

Shiels and Crossfield get a lot of views from me, but I really enjoy Peter Finch's channel, as he's not only a teaching pro, but he's actually trying to qualify for the tour events (specifically, the Open), and so watching his journey through trying to get incrementally better has been really fantastic.  He's very good friends with Shiels, as well, so there are often cross-over episodes where they battle each other over 9 or 18 holes and course vlog it.  Really entertaining stuff.

-Swanson

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I’ve watched a lot of what’s been mentioned already.  My current favorite is probably TXG, but I like Mark and Sheils, although they seem to be going more of the You Tube headline vs quality stuff lately.

For instructors I like the videos Chris Ryan does and Larry Cheung.  Not sure if they’ve been mentioned on prior pages since I didn’t go back and a read the whole thread.

Also while we’re talking you tubers... shout out to my Brother-in-law and his SoloTravelAdventures channel.  He’s got some good hiking/travel/Disney stuff if anyone here wants to check that out.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

These channels all evolve over time, and right now in 2020 I think TXG is my favorite.  They have gone from selling clubs to doing cool experiments and games and training.  I really like where they have gone with the channel.  Rick Shiels was one of the OGs, and he kinda sucked for a little bit but got better again.  And yes, his suffering game goes against what he says, but then when you watch other guys play, they pretty much suck too LOL.  The Me and My Golf guys are just not that great.  One of them can't even hit a driver straight, and he's giving tips to hit the ball better.  Crossfield is a solid guy, but is probably the most polarizing.  His stuff gets repetitive after a while, and his swing isn't aesthetically pleasing, but his recent changes to it has been interesting. 

I think we're lucky to be on the receiving end of all the golf content we get basically for free!  EAL I think is my favorite vlogger.  Very polished product.  His collaborations with TM are a bit forced though.  He's normally so smooth but is terrible at product placement messages LOL.  I'll still give him the pass though. 

I love blades.

im more of a Steve Johnston fan. Not an equipment guy, but just in generally explaining the golf swing. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I'm really liking James Robinson lately. He seems down-to-earth and his videos with Foxy are relatable as a newer golfer.

Driver: :wilson-small: Profile SGI 10.5*

Hybrid (4H): :tour-edge: Hot Launch 4 22*

Hybrid (5H): :wilson-small: Profile SGI

Irons (6-PW, SW): :wilson-small: Profile SGI

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot XG #1

Peter Finch and Rick Shiels are the only two golf channels I watch.  Golfholics isnt so bad either. I'll miss the golf bidder challenges Rick and Pete did. 

WITB 2023

:callaway-small: Driver: Big Bertha 2015 Model - Fubuki shaft (I think its time for an upgrade)

:nike-small: 3-Wood: VRs 15 degree

:taylormade-small:Irons: SIM2 4-AW

Wedges: :nike-small: Victory Red  LW-60/10, :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 4 SW-56/10

Putter: :nike-small: Method Core MC-3i

....I may have loved/still love Nike and miss them making golf clubs💔

• 2 weeks later...

TXG is probably my favorite, but it gets a little old when they try to make it seem like Matt is just an "okay" scratch golfer.  <eyes rolling>  If you want to watch a channel with AMAZING scenery and courses, check out Erik Anders Lang.  The production value of his videos are nothing short of amazing...especially the ones last year.  This year has been a bit different.

TXG is probably my favorite, but it gets a little old when they try to make it seem like Matt is just an "okay" scratch golfer. 

Did you watch the short game videos with Matt? I doubt he was faking and as they have said that is where he loses strokes.

This is definitely something I can relate too.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

17 hours ago, cnosil said:

Did you watch the short game videos with Matt? I doubt he was faking and as they have said that is where he loses strokes.

This is definitely something I can relate too.

Also, I believe they edit out a lot of the miss-hits that they don't use for the comparisons. If you watch the number of shots he's on, it'll skip a few between the ones they actually show.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here