GolfSpy Stroker

Rick Shiels / Mark Crossfield videos

Worst thing about my fitting a couple weeks ago was finding out that I thought I had Rick Sheils ballspeed when I actually have Crossfield's lol.

In all seriousness, I really, really, really like TXG. For club reviews, these guys are the best of the bunch. I do like Rick and Mark and the others mentioned are all good but TXG really take it to another level

Sent from my VTR-L09 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I'm a big Peter Finch and MeandMyGolf guy, though I do watch Rick as well. When I first started YouTube golf watching (MeandMyGolf) some 5 years ago, I watched a video with Mark and he just kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Which was no big deal at all I just never got into watching his videos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I like Rick quite a lot. I'm happy he is getting more attention and sponsors, but I do dislike that some of his videos seems like just sponsorship ads.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 4/18/2019 at 11:04 PM, tchat07 said:

I watched a video with Mark and he just kinda rubbed me the wrong way

I had the same reaction a couple of years ago but watched a Crossfield video after he spoke with the MGS HQ crew down at the PGA Show and have really begun liking his videos.  Shiels lost some appeal when he started making his videos more of a production.  To me, Crossfield's videos still have have a grassroots type feel and better resonate with me.

• Like 2

I'm an unabashed Crossfield fan.  I think if there are two things he stands for it's 1) making the game more enjoyable and 2) making you a better golfer.  It doesn't surprise me that he can rub people the wrong way, but after watching almost all of his content for the past few years, he definitely has some self-awareness about his own faults.

• Like 3

I like Mark; I think his heart is in the right place.  He seems to want to help people learn how to play better but also wants them to remember that it's only a game and it should be fun.  He and his buddies - Rory, Coach, Dan - all seem to have fun while they're playing.

The 'strokes gained' stuff he recently did was interesting.  Not sure I agree entirely with everything but there's good food for thought there.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I like Mark; I think his heart is in the right place.  He seems to want to help people learn how to play better but also wants them to remember that it's only a game and it should be fun.  He and his buddies - Rory, Coach, Dan - all seem to have fun while they're playing.

The 'strokes gained' stuff he recently did was interesting.  Not sure I agree entirely with everything but there's good food for thought there.

I mean, he's a coach who uses YT, not a YT person who golfs and I think there's a difference there between him and Shiels for me, Rick even admits that he hardly plays anymore in the Second Hand Challenge vlogs with Finch. That I think was the stuff that rubbed him (meaning Mark) the wrong way about YT Golf Day. 

Plus, Mark is more about the fun of golf than the other stuff. That's why prefer him to all others.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

I mean, he's a coach who uses YT, not a YT person who golfs and I think there's a difference there between him and Shiels for me, Rick even admits that he hardly plays anymore in the Second Hand Challenge vlogs with Finch. That I think was the stuff that rubbed him (meaning Mark) the wrong way about YT Golf Day. 

Plus, Mark is more about the fun of golf than the other stuff. That's why prefer him to all others.

I think Mark was biting his tongue hard when Rick released his driver/ball combination video.  Nothing against Rick (I subscribe to him as well) but that video was utterly pointless at best and misleading at worst.  There was a VERY subtle reference to this in one of his (Mark's) vlogs.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 8:27 PM, mbrodeur86 said:

Worst thing about my fitting a couple weeks ago was finding out that I thought I had Rick Sheils ballspeed when I actually have Crossfield's lol.

In all seriousness, I really, really, really like TXG. For club reviews, these guys are the best of the bunch. I do like Rick and Mark and the others mentioned are all good but TXG really take it to another level

Sent from my VTR-L09 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That's because TXG are real fitters. I like Crossfield and Shiels both, but neither one of them appears to have the tools or experience fitting like TXG.

• Like 1

A lot of what Rick does these days is built around getting views and gaining subscribers, or at least that's how it looks. Not necessarily a bad thing, but none of his instructional videos are all that good. Mainly just some generic stuff.

Crossfield can come across as arrogant. Wasn't sure I liked him when I first came across his videos but now I can move past his moments of narcissism because I truly find value in the instructional videos he's making. He's not just bleating on about the same generic stuff but really delving into the mechanics and allowing his audience to think about things critically. Rick doesn't do that.

That's not to say there's no value in the stuff Rick is doing. I just think it's aimed more at the casual golfer who's looking for a quick fix, instead of a long-term, more fundamental understanding of the golf swing.

Mark's recent videos with Dan where they tracked strokes gained were really quite good. I can't see Rick ever doing something like that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I really like golfsidekick youtube channel. His production values are great, he's entertaining and there is some great course management info (what he focus' on). Waddachannel!

UKGolfVlogs is another good one. OMP (Old Man Pat) is a hell of a player when he's on. Just a laid back, good-natured golf channel. 

Fried Eggs Golf is fun too. (Father and Son who have a backyard course)

FatGuyGolf is pretty fun too. A high handicapper that is really overweight trying to improve. 

Edited by FromRightToLeft
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Like both mark and Rick. Both fun and easy going, but Mark does seem to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder, it’s like the guy who makes fun of the try hards, but then he is one of the ones who secretly tries the hardest. And the snub by mark for the YouTube golfer tourney, kinda lame on Marks part. I mean it’s for charity man.

Edited by LIGHT THE CANDLE
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

A lot of what Rick does these days is built around getting views and gaining subscribers, or at least that's how it looks. 

I 'SMASHED' the like button on your post!

/SeeWhatIDid 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, FromRightToLeft said:

I really like golfsidekick youtube channel. His production values are great, he's entertaining and there is some great course management info (what he focus' on). Waddachannel!

His channel is my absolute favorite golf channel right now. I'll skip over a lot of Mark & Rick's stuff but I'll watch all of The Way of the Playa! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, russtopherb said:

His channel is my absolute favorite golf channel right now. I'll skip over a lot of Mark & Rick's stuff but I'll watch all of The Way of the Playa! 

Golf Sidekick is my go to YouTube golf vlogger. I really enjoy the way that he demonstrates ego free golf and what that can do for your game.

He is the first person that has ever shown, in a way that I can understand, why it is so important to work on the short game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, palvord said:

Golf Sidekick is my go to YouTube golf vlogger. I really enjoy the way that he demonstrates ego free golf and what that can do for your game.

He is the first person that has ever shown, in a way that I can understand, why it is so important to work on the short game. 

....can't believe the prices in Thailand!  40.00 for the round and the caddie??  that's incredible...

poor guy does have to play in 100 degree weather though.
I work with a guy from South Africa who has the exact same accent.  Scary. 
Truly like the fact that he screws up sometimes and doesn't edit it out...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Truly like the fact that he screws up sometimes and doesn't edit it out...

This also may be why I appreciate him the most out of anyone that I have seen on YouTube. He plays real golf. He doesn't always show himself being successful. He does show himself working to be successful. 

• Like 4

Not sure about everyone else but I watch golf on YT for basically 2 reasons.

1. Technical 
 swing thoughts, mechanics, product reviews

2. Entertainment
 course vlogs, funny stuff

I have goto's for each and I bounce around a lot.

Category 1:
Eric Cogorno, Chris Ryan, TXG, MrShortGame, George Gankas, Russell Heritage, etc.

Category 2:
Golfholics, Golfsidekick, Peter Finch, Fried Eggs, Crossfield, Robin Williams, etc.

Honestly - I don't really watch Shiels videos much anymore... I used to watch them all but he lost me lately.

The longest Cat 1 vids I can hang with are around 8 minutes.  Longer than that and you lose me.
The Cat 2 vids I can hang in there for around 20-25 minutes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, palvord said:

This also may be why I appreciate him the most out of anyone that I have seen on YouTube. He plays real golf. He doesn't always show himself being successful. He does show himself working to be successful. 

I personally enjoy that he shows you can be a good (on the scorecard) golfer without having a perfect swing or hitting 300-yard drives. "Swing your swing," is a great thought for the course.

I'm all about getting better at golf through improving my swing, especially when I'm practicing or on the range, but at the end of the day I want to shoot better scores on the course. Golf Sidekick does a really great job of exemplifying how to do that.

• Like 1

Is it just me or did a lot of these guys lose credibility when they started accepting club contracts ? It's very hard for me to listen to a review of clubs when the guy has a Taylormade, Callaway, Titleist full club deal. I know these guys get most of the clubs free but actual endorsements seem to negate everything they are trying to do. Recently watched a Michael Newton video where he loved the Wilson blades so much he actually paid for a set. He even admitted it's probably the first time he's paid for clubs in years. That being said I generally watch TXG, just great equipment content.