GolfSpy Stroker

Rick Shiels / Mark Crossfield videos

Our Sponsors

My Favorites are: 

- Be better golf: very interesting to hear so many different teachers ideas on the swing

- TXG: best for equipment information

- Peter Finch: loves his accent haha

- Martin Chuck: one of my favorite for information on the swing. He explains things so well. He also has one of the prettiest swings on the planet. 

- Steve Johnston PGA - has some investing ideas

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:13 AM, Yadirtydog! said:

Completely agree with the list. Randy from Fried Eggs is really damn funny as is Alex Etches. 

Golfaholics drives me insane. Here's basically the channel in a nutshell. 

- Big Cat is hitting a shot with coach filming.

- Hits shot

- Coach "Oh, this looks really good! Starting left turning back over to the pin"

Comes up 20 yards short

Don't forget the "speed slot"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like Crossfield for the course Vlogs.

Just some buddies playing golf and needling each other.

For reviews and tech stuff  it's hard to beat TXG.

I like Fried eggs for the humor.

Edited by Boogy

i like a lot of these guys but every reviewer is the same. They do the same boring stuff and there is too much fluff in the videos. The industry needs a reboot as far as these guys go. They are all great but seeing the same format 200x over and over again has chased me away.    Looking for a new fresh approach from someone.

I don't watch much of Shiels anymore, but the Callaway box set video was fun to watch.  

No love here for NLU?  I'll admit that I'm a huge fan of their stuff.

I'm also a fan of Golf Sidekick.  He definitely has me thinking about my course management.

I'm pretty much over Golfholics.

And I'll watch EAL from time to time.  My daughters and I were big fans of Adventures in Golf.  Random Golf Club is good as well.  Not as big a fan of his celebrity stuff.

• Like 2

I unsubbed from Shiels. I realized I hadn't clicked on any of his videos in a few months, and I watched parts of his "Secret" videos. His earlier educational stuff was great. Now it seems to be just clickbait videos designed to get a reaction. Not for me. 

Give me Golf Sidekick and Mike Bury any day of the week. The "bigger" golf YouTubers all seem to have given up on trying to be informative and educating. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

I unsubbed from Shiels. I realized I hadn't clicked on any of his videos in a few months, and I watched parts of his "Secret" videos. His earlier educational stuff was great. Now it seems to be just clickbait videos designed to get a reaction. Not for me. 

Give me Golf Sidekick and Mike Bury any day of the week. The "bigger" golf YouTubers all seem to have given up on trying to be informative and educating. 

I watched one of his videos when he talked about a putter and ball combo would revolutionize putting them a few week later he released the video o the triple track putters.

while that probably helps a bunch of people line up their putts it doesn’t help them pick the right line or speed. His channel has been more clock bait than anything lately. Like you I haven’t watched many of his videos lately and only reason I had watched the one was to see what he had to say about the sim drivers as some had mentioned he didn’t get any increase with sim which was different from everything else I had seen around the Internet 

• Like 3

Shiels is complete trash now. Maybe his ego has gotten too big after his appearance on Driver vs Driver.... Can’t stand his videos anymore. Total trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

I don't mind Rick.... I'll admit I don't watch as much as I used to but some of the stuff is interesting.

He's been doing this for so long I don't know how much more he can do of the same thing again and again.

I liked when he and Pete went and bought used and cheap clubs and then played them.  I thought that was great and showed that you didn't have to have a bunch of money to start playing golf.  I think that's what he is showing with the "box" sets he's talked about it recently - both callaway and the less expensive TM driver.

I think he just wants to show folks that just because club prices are really high and continue to go up doesn't mean that it's impossible to start playing golf if you're interested.  I remember I bought my first set in a box from Costco when I started playing for around 150.

I can appreciate the fact that he's trying to show that the barrier to entry isn't what it appears to be.

Another thing I like is that a lot of his videos are between 7 and 10 minutes, on average.  

That's what kind of turns me off about TXG - there stuff is way too long...I don't want to watch a 30 minute video on a TM SIM driver.

• Like 2

Particularly the last few months, I feel like Shiels is getting very click-baity. Not a huge fan of that sort of content myself.

Really enjoy TXG's deep dives into equipment, although I get they might be a bit too long for some. I find it really interesting and think they do a very professional job. Tough for me to hate Crossfield either, he shoots it pretty straight.

• Like 2

It's all about team Al!

Go golfbox!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I think he just wants to show folks that just because club prices are really high and continue to go up doesn't mean that it's impossible to start playing golf if you're interested.  I remember I bought my first set in a box from Costco when I started playing for around 150.

I do agree with this, but others have done it as well without all the hyperbole.
What truly annoys me is that he’ll go on about “Why are these clubs priced so differently?” without discussing things like manufacturing tolerances, quality checks, premium materials, or the latest tech. All of which greatly influence the price and performance. Instead he just ignores that so he can cry about price gouging. I’m not trying to suggest that I think current prices are exactly fair, but it seems he’s much more concerned with generating views than informing golfers.

• Like 1

It's all about team Al!

Go golfbox!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

I've recently discovered his channel and have it say it's quite entertaining. His Outer Bounds videos are hilarious, especially the one where he's reviewing the Hammer.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

On 6/27/2016 at 9:41 AM, Sproutland said:

Rob Potter is the best. He should have his own channel.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

He moved to the US and does now and is down to 5 or so handi cap, he was great on RSG.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:23 PM, FrogginBullfish said:

Well, it sure seems like Rick is dead set on trying to see how badly he can piss off TaylorMade and Callaway with his two most recent uploads.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

He is sticking up for the real average golfer for value and performance.

• Like 1

I love both Rick and Mark!  Mark is probably my favorite on youtube!  Love watching his games with coach and the gang.  Love his club reviews.  Some other guys I've really been enjoying are the Bryan Bros Golf.  Wesley is on the Pga and has won a tournament, his brother George is also a pro i think.  Recently they have been playing matches against each other and they are very good matches.  I also really like Peter Finch he has a great channel.  Another channel that i've really enjoyed lately is Kyle Berkshire.  You might know him for winning the world long drive last year.  Well he is also a really good golfer and has been posting rounds of him playing.  He also post all his numbers after each shot and they are insane!  Ive never heard a sound like he makes hitting the golf ball it is incredible!  Check him out for sure. 

On 4/9/2019 at 8:57 PM, mysterygolfguy said:

I like to watch TOP SPEED GOLF with Clay Ballard. He has really good instructional videos and goes into more detail than Rick does on his instruction videos. He's my go to guy with fixes.

Just watched a clay ballard video last night love his stuff! 

• Like 2

I like Rick Shiels.  More for his equipment reviews or his "what if i" challenges.  

6 minutes ago, knightsofnii said:

I like Rick Shiels.  More for his equipment reviews or his "what if i" challenges.  

Rick seems to know that sweet spot in how long to make his videos....