OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - CALLAWAY XR 16 DRIVERS AND FWS

Our Sponsors

Good intro's yall. Looking forward to hearing all about these. Curious if the XR is worth trading my Alpha to get it.

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello, my name is Shane and I'm a ho.   “Hi Shaneâ€�   I started ho-ing around 7 years ago and it's been a seasonal struggle ever since. Every spring brings the enjoyment of a new year, a new ro

snapshot of me:   I am 27 years old and play golf on average twice a week Saturday and Sunday. I used to sneak a mid week round in, but it's becoming tougher with the weather (100 degrees every day)

I like the head cover as well. I did have someone randomly comment how they loved the driver(let them hit it), but hated the head cover... Hated a red, white, and blue headcover! So I accused them of

Posted Images

Good intro's yall. Looking forward to hearing all about these. Curious if the XR is worth trading my Alpha to get it.

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

I like mine. I'm not saying it's worth trading for because I don't know how it would work for you and I'm also not sure how I would hit it versus the G's, M1s, Cobra, etc. but it's long. Longer than my R7 ever was but necessarily longer than my high school or college driver. I just like when I hit it good it feels good, it looks good, and it goes a long way.

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, Cally XR16 Driver, G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I E1 irons, Vokey SM5 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

<p>Knoxville, TN 4 Hdcp Ping G30 9deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Nike Vapor rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, 60 TM spider with 1.0 super stroke</p>

• 2 weeks later...

How about a bump for a stage 2 review posted?

• Like 1

Driver - XR16 Pro 10.5 Kuro Kage Black 60-S
Fairway wood - Taylormade Aeroburner mini (16*)

Tour Edge XCG7 7-wood 21*/XR16 7 wood
Hybrid - Adams Pro Mini 23*
Irons - Mizuno EZ forged 5-GW
Wedges - Mizuno JPX 54*
Bridgestone 60*

Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite South SIde

My stage two is posted. It reads like a novel mostly because I hated this club up until today. After today, I'm at least intrigued to see if it continues the success. I blasted a few today more than tripling the number of good shots I've hit with it. 

As for the 3 wood the TLDR version is that I'm still in the honeymoon period over lack of in game action. I'm trying to play it as much as I can, but there's only so many holes that call for 3 wood and I don't want to make a huge case out of a small sample.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

my stage 2 is posted!  Please let me know if you have any questions or if there are any pictures that you are interested in.  I didn't get out this week like i had planned so i would be happy to add more as necessary if there is something the forum is looking for!

• Like 1

<p>Knoxville, TN 4 Hdcp Ping G30 9deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Nike Vapor rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, 60 TM spider with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Poor Phil, if only he would have read my review of the XR16 Pro in time for Sunday. He could have switched from the Sub-Zero to the Pro model and probably won. :P

• Like 1

Driver - XR16 Pro 10.5 Kuro Kage Black 60-S
Fairway wood - Taylormade Aeroburner mini (16*)

Tour Edge XCG7 7-wood 21*/XR16 7 wood
Hybrid - Adams Pro Mini 23*
Irons - Mizuno EZ forged 5-GW
Wedges - Mizuno JPX 54*
Bridgestone 60*

Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite South SIde

Bump for the Stage 2 Review. 

• :taylormade-small: SIM 10.5* w/ Kyoshi Black 65X tipped 1/2" 
  • :cobra-small: F7+ 3W 14.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
  • :srixon-small: ZX Utility 18* w/ Project X 6.5
  • :callaway-small: X Forged 21* w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :mizuno-small: 921 SEL 5-PW w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54* & 58* w/ AWT 2.0 
  • Toulon Vegas H7 w/ SS Flatso 2.0r
  • '20 :bridgestone-small: Tour B X
  • I'm left-handed so I don't go broke buying all new clubs every week. 

Callaway XR Pro 16 Driver and Fairway Review – Official MGS Forum Review by TXGolfJunkie

Before we get started, I would like to thank the fine folks at MGS for selecting this self-proclaimed ‘club ho' to test the new Callaway lineup for 2016. I can't tell you how many times I had to disappoint the wife when she had chores lined up for me on the weekends.

“I'm sorry babe, the internet world needs me!”

“Shane, I just don't see the point of you going to the course EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.”

“Do you remember why I'm doing this? I've told you numerous times…”

*awkward silence coupled with laser beams from the wife's now nearly shut eyes*

“Yes babe…SCIENCE! Be back in a few hours!”

Despite the mid-summer conditions and the occasional blurred-vision swing from the triple digit heat and humidity, I've never had more fun putting my ho skills to the test.

Also on a testing note, I ordered the stock Diamana D+ 70X shaft in the driver and it launched too high for my liking so I purchased an Aldila Tour Green 65X and brought the ball back down to earth. None of the testing was done with technology (i.e. launch monitor), only with the naked eye.

Player Bio

WITB:

Current Driver – TaylorMade M1 with an Aldila Tour Green 65x shaft.

The weights are one click lower flight and two clicks draw. I was fitted for this driver back in March and this combo has left me hitting low bullets with a high launch and low spin that flatten out and run like crazy when it hits the fairway. It's a perfect club for the Texas wind. It's going to be difficult to kick this out of the bag, mainly due to how it performs into a stiff breeze.

The Callaway has a noticeably taller face and more compact shape than the M1.

attachicon.gifCapture996.PNG

attachicon.gifCapture997.PNG

Current 3 wood – Callaway X2 Hot Pro Deep 14.5* 3 wood with an Aldila Tour Green 75x shaft.

I never really gave the Aldila Tour Green or the Callaway X Hot line much thought until I bought this stick on the Callaway Pre-Owned website. This club can boom some lengthy tee shots. The face is crazy hot and I can control the ball flight fairly well. It's the best money spent in my bag…and one of the longest tenured clubs in my bag at around 18 months! That's like 10 years in the ho-ing lifestyle.

Performance

Performance at the Range

I didn't put a lot of weight on the driving range performance because the driving ranges I most frequent supply us hacks with Top Flite Strata range balls that rival Pinnacle for the most rock-esk golf ball on the market. My carry distance and flight characteristics are so inconsistent at the range because one ball might be brand new and fly around 85% of the actual distance and the next ball has been around since the Regan administration and flies only 60% of the actual distance.

Here are some tidbits from the Callaway XR 16 Pro 9* Driver:

· The club felt lighter than the M1 in my hands and quickly became a point and shoot type driver.

· The ball feels so much better off the face (personal preference) than off of the M1. The XR Pro 16 feels light and a muted tinny sound at impact while the M1 feels harsher, even when you connect on the sweet spot.

· I felt I could swing as hard as I wanted with the Callaway and not pull it. My miss hit was a fade but it wouldn't be anything that would get me in trouble on the course.

· It flew about the same distance as the M1 but didn't have the roll out like the M1. I felt the added spin kept the ball more in line with the target than with the M1.

For the Callaway XR 16 Pro 14* 3 Wood with Diamana D+ 70X:

· Um what is this?

· What did Callaway R&D do to this club? It feels like cat poop at impact and the ball travels in a high fade pattern that could best be described as…a…*gulp*…slice. Not a workable slice, but a ‘hide yo kids, hide yo wife cause it's gettin ugly out here' slice. I couldn't believe how different my X2 Hot Pro Deep 3 wood felt versus the XR 16 Cleveland Steamer (that's poop for those unaware of the steamer reference).

· I will say that this club is an anti-straight club…so they got that going for them…which is nice.

· Seriously, what is in my hands? I have to go shower now.

Range Score: Driver – 8 out of 10. 3 Wood – 4 out of 10.

Performance on the Course

Callaway XR 16 Pro in comparison to the M1:

· The Callaway setup is a fairway splitter. Every now and then a baby fade would find a way into my swing, but I felt pretty confident that no matter how hard I could go after it, I could eliminate the right rough (a pull/hook for lefties). This sucker is accurate. Spiny, but accurate.

· The XR 16 Pro ‘felt' more forgiving than the M1. I say ‘felt' because I didn't have any actual spin/distance numbers to back up the claim but solely by what I saw with my own eyes and felt in my hands. When I caught the M1 on the toe, distance suffered. When I caught the XR 16 Pro on the toe, the distance loss wasn't as noticeable.

· The carry distance between the M1 and XR 16 Pro was pretty close, maybe 5-7 yards difference on shots where the wind was calm or helping. Into the wind, well, it wasn't nearly as close. The increased spin in the Callaway kept it from really competing with the M1. The ball flight into the wind with the Callaway resembled a dead cat shot out of a canon. It starts with a bang, flies for a good ways, and then just drops to earth with a subtle bounce.

· Overall I was pleased with the Callaway but any sort of hurting wind really brought the higher spin rate into play. It's a club that finds the fairway but I would be sacrificing some serious yards in certain environments.

Here are some non-technical comparisons between the reigning champion (M1) and the contender (XR 16 Pro).

In Galveston, TX, it was a great way to test the Cally in the consistent 10-15mph breeze along the Texas coast. The swing wasn't cooperating for the first few holes but then I was able to smoke two tee shots and get a good look at the Callaway facing a good right-to-left cross breeze. Both flew about the same distance and along the same path but the lower spin of the M1 allowed the wind to have a little more effect on the ball and push it into the fairway where it released another 15+ yards after it landed. The XR 16 Pro held its own in the wind and landed in the right rough (my aiming point) and sat soft. Here's the result of the two shots:

attachicon.gifGalveston 1.JPG

With my swing getting in the groove, I was able to find a course near my home on a late Sunday afternoon and I was able to really get a lot of testing done. Numerous tee shots with both drivers gave me a pretty good read on how each of the clubs perform under calm conditions. I've given two examples of how the clubs compared.

Both clubs were caught flush and were fairly even on an uphill par 4.

attachicon.gifDriver Comp.JPG

I put a poor swing on the M1 and the lack of forgiveness really kicked in. Check it out compared to a flushed XR 16 Pro.

attachicon.gifDriver Comp 2.JPG

Callaway XR 16 Pro 14* 3 Wood in comparison to the X2 Hot Pro Deep 14.5*:

· I'm having a hard time trying to wrap my head around what design change took place between the X2 Hot Pro 3 Deep and the XR 16 Pro 3 wood. The low ball flight out towards the toe of the club is gone. The overall forgiveness of the club has been diminished. The overall feel of the hot face has been replaced by wooden bat ‘thwack'. I know it could change with a different shaft, but the Diamana D+ was the best option for low spin and low launch.

· The overall control of the club was difficult at first but I felt like I had to change my swing up a bit to make the club work for me. While that's not the best route to take, I was willing to make a few subtle changes for an accurate test. The XR 16 Pro fairway wood was unlike the driver in the sense that both sides of the rough were in play. I was yanking the ball hard right just as easily as I was pushing them well left.

· The spin rates and overall height of the shots between the two fairway clubs were fairly similar. Both clubs can balloon on you if you don't attack with your best swing.

I've included two samples of the comparison. It was difficult getting the XR 16 Pro fairway wood to cooperate at all times, but there were a few holes where both clubs were behaving. This first shot is one of my favorite holes at the course near my house. It's a gradual dogleg left with water running down the left of the fairway that leads to a tucked green surrounded by water and sand. It's a really good risk/reward hole. My normal play is a butter-cut 3 wood off the back tees. Mission accomplished with the X2 Hot Pro Deep. Take a handful of practice swings with the XR 16 Pro and it's a dead yank into the right trees. The swing felt fine and the ball at impact felt fine but the end result was no bueno.

attachicon.gif3 Wood Comp 2.JPG

To get a distance comparison, I sat on the tee box of a straight away par 4 and hit about a dozen balls total trying to get a good ball out of each club. This is about the average of the two clubs with the X2 just beating out the XR 16 Pro. X2 Hot Pro Deep was consistently longer and easier to control than the XR 16 Pro.

attachicon.gif3 Wood Comp.JPG

On Course Performance Score: Driver – 21 out of 30. 3 Wood – 10 out of 30.

Subjective

Looks

I will give credit to Callaway for making a sharp driver and fairway wood. The technology they boast is clear as day on the sole and the overall design of the driver is spot on. I really like the compact shape at address and the minimal visuals on the crown. The way the driver frames the ball on the tee gives me a lot of confidence knowing if I put in a good swing, the ball will behave accordingly. There's really not a single complaint on my end for the overall look of the driver and fairway wood. This is one aspect where I give the nod to the XR 16 Pro line over my current gamers.

Callaway boasts a technology co-op with Boeing and hey, there it is!

attachicon.gifCapture999.PNG

Looks Score: Driver – 18 out of 20. 3 Wood – 18 out of 20.

Sound and Feel

I equate the sound and feel between the driver and 3 wood to be like the set of twins where one got all the looks and the other has a ‘nice personality'. The driver feels really good. As I stated earlier in the review, I actually preferred the feel of the driver over the M1. The ball explodes off the face of the driver and the face feels hot all over. The feel at impact is like hitting a golf ball with a beer…or coke can that's warm, shaken up and under extreme pressure. I commend Callaway for the tuned sound at impact and the explosive feel.

Now on to the twin with a ‘nice personality'. I had a hard time feeling the ball at impact. More importantly, I couldn't feel where I was making impact with the ball. If I hit a ball out towards the toe, I want to feel that. It all felt the same, like an old wooden baseball bat. Nothing felt crisp at impact. It was a real disappointment.

Ever seen a wolf in sheep's clothing?

attachicon.gifCapture998.PNG

Sound and Feel Score: Driver – 20 out of 20. 3 Wood – 5 out of 20.

Likelihood of Purchase

If I was pursue the XR 16 Pro Driver, I would need to spend a pretty penny getting properly fitted with the right shaft and then buy the shaft. That could be upwards of $400 when it's all said and done. That's not something that's feasible at the current time. Yes, the XR 16 Pro Driver was more accurate than the M1, but the high spin, especially into a head wind, is a deal breaker for me. I'd rather be 150 yards out in the left rough with the M1 than sitting in the middle of the fairway 165 yards out.

I don't know what to say about the XR 16 Pro 3 wood. I know I probably had a bad head/shaft combo but I don't know what could be done to make me fall in love with this stick. I think there would have to be some weight redistribution done to the head to make the ball fly the way I want to. Since moveable weight is not an option on the fairway wood, I can't see myself playing this club in the future. In the famous words of my ex-girlfriends, “it's not you, it's me”. In this case, this club doesn't fit my swing.

LOP Score: Driver – 12 out of 20. 3 Wood – 5 out of 20.

Total Point: Driver – 79 out of 100. 3 Wood – 42 out of 100.

Conclusion

While neither club was able to kick out the existing selection in my bag, it was a valiant fight by the driver.

Just like the well-balanced ‘Most Wanted List' produced by this site, you have to take my review with a grain of salt. I am just one player with a particular swing type that doesn't benefit from these clubs. Maybe this lineup does fit your swing profile. Maybe you already bag the XR 16 Pro 3 wood and you think I'm full of caca with my review. That's the beauty of this sport. What works for me doesn't necessarily have to work for you. I'm guilty of watching particular guys on tour and thinking their setup would be great for me. Heck, after The Open, I was on Callaway's Pre-Owned site looking for a Diablo Octane Tour 13* 3 wood, the same one used by Henrik. Is that a healthy approach to the game? Of course not. But I'm a ho and a darn good ho. It's my duty to try all of the options out there and make a determination from my sampling. Sure my wife would prefer I find clubs that I like and be done with my ho-ing but then I would be letting down you, the reader, and of course…Science!

nice review. I've spent three weeks trying to put into words how you described the feel of the driver versus the feel of the TM lol

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, Cally XR16 Driver, G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I E1 irons, Vokey SM5 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

• 3 weeks later...

Call it 2.5 since my stage 2 was a bit on the shorter side.

After the last update, the driver has turned into a weapon for me eliminating the right side of the course for me. It's great for doglegs, or any hole with trouble right as I've only hit 3-4 fades or pushes with the club. The downside is of course if a hole is left to right. Along that line of thought, even on dead center contact, the driver comes up a bit short despite a draw compared to my Fly-Z. I think it's partially due to the lower ball flight, which does come in handy when it's windy. The big problem is that hook swings become exacerbated by the draw offset. With the Fly-Z they may be in the rough, with this I've hit a few houses. The Fly-Z is also a bit better feeling, this club just feels a bit more heavy through contact even though I like the sound better.

Let's talk about the fairway wood. If I could I'd give it two scores for off the deck vs off the tee. The reason is one the jury is still out. I don't hit a lot of 3 woods off the deck. There's almost no need on most holes I play even the par 5's. If I do have to hit it, it's more or less because my drive stunk or the hole plays directly into the wind. That all being said, I've hit 3-4 great shots with it, but 30 or more worm burners. I can tell it's because of me and not being able to find a swing that works. I'm still trying to figure out that magical formula. when I do hit this well, the club goes 225, which is the longest I've ever been with any wood off the deck.

Off the tee though it's a wonderful little club for me. Doglegs that are too far for an iron but too short for a driver are perfect for this thing. On one particular hole, I've used it every time. After a brief adjustment period with it, I've started to stripe this thing with almost a dead straight shot, or a slight little draw. The big thing is it filled a gaping hole in my bag and I'm starting to trust it more in those situations. That's been a big difference the last week or so with the club.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

I like the format of reviews that is used here by th members. The background info on you and your game helps. The reviews are very thorough and objective. Not just a standard love fest as seen on some other sites.

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I'm surprised our reviews haven't gotten more hits

I like the format of reviews that is used here by th members. The background info on you and your game helps. The reviews are very thorough and objective. Not just a standard love fest as seen on some other sites.

That's what makes this site great. I've been testing the Xr-16 and can tell you I'm not a huge fan, but I can see how it works for golfers who play a slice or want a draw.

• Like 2

That's what makes this site great. I've been testing the Xr-16 and can tell you I'm not a huge fan, but I can see how it works for golfers who play a slice or want a draw.

i feel for you because I've just not had the issues with it that you've had. I don't think I've overdrawn or sliced one yet other than just a block.

i feel for you because I've just not had the issues with it that you've had. I don't think I've overdrawn or sliced one yet other than just a block.

I've started to get a little fade with it from time to time. Still not enough where I can play it with a fade consistently. The wood off the deck has been meh, but I hit it dead straight off the tee.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update: off the tee the three wood is spectacular. I'm hitting dead straight and more importantly I'm hitting it into the doglegs where a drive is too far and a 4 iron isn't far enough. 

The driver is still shorter, a bit lower and tends to be a little more straight or draw biased than the Fly-Z. The Fly-Z is also a bit lighter and feels lighter when smashing the ball.

I put mine back in the bag for a round on Saturday.  Didn't hit it well at all.   As has been the case the past couple rounds with it, my "old" Optiforce 3W seems to go just about as far, may hit both out next round and use the Precision Pro GPS GolfBand to measure each one  :P

I think the XR16 knows it's days are limited with me going to Pinehurst later this month and getting the 917 in hand to try out!!

Interesting. The XR 16 fairway wood is been a solid addition to my bag. (To be fair didn't have any woods before the test.) The driver is finding itself on the outside looking in. My Fly-Z has a much softer feel, goes at least 5-10 yards further and is just a tad more comfortable for me.

The fairway wood is great off the tee but I've started hitting some bombs with it. After miss hitting one, I dropped one at the same spot, had to be 230 out and put it to three feet. If only the first one actually was a good swing.

I'm wondering if the stiffer shaft has anything to do with it, or whether these clubs aren't quite as hot as others off the face.

I put mine back in the bag for a round on Saturday.  Didn't hit it well at all.   As has been the case the past couple rounds with it, my "old" Optiforce 3W seems to go just about as far, may hit both out next round and use the Precision Pro GPS GolfBand to measure each one  :P

I think the XR16 knows it's days are limited with me going to Pinehurst later this month and getting the 917 in hand to try out!!

• Like 1

Interesting. The XR 16 fairway wood is been a solid addition to my bag. (To be fair didn't have any woods before the test.) The driver is finding itself on the outside looking in. My Fly-Z has a much softer feel, goes at least 5-10 yards further and is just a tad more comfortable for me.

The fairway wood is great off the tee but I've started hitting some bombs with it. After miss hitting one, I dropped one at the same spot, had to be 230 out and put it to three feet. If only the first one actually was a good swing.

I'm wondering if the stiffer shaft has anything to do with it, or whether these clubs aren't quite as hot as others off the face.

I should clarify, just to be sure. It was the XR16 driver I put back in play. And the Optiforce 3w was hitting it further.

Could be that my miss on a driver tends to be a low heel shot. Do it's possible even likely with the shorter shaft 3w I'm making contact closer to the sweet spot.

I do have the XR16 3w as well. But it has not even come close to being in the regular rotation. I don't get quite the launch with it that I do with the Optiforce.