TESTERS WANTED! ×

That one guy you just cant play with

Seef824

Do any of you have that one guy in your league or club that just brings out your worst?  You don't mind him as a person but anytime you are paired with or against him you play worse?

How do you do you overcome that?  In the 4 times I have played with him either in league or just for fun I have shot well over my handicap and it is just frustrating.

Last night in league I was playing against "that" guy and shot 4 over my handicap. I shot a quad on the first hole and a double on the second to finish 10 over on the round.  I went into last night knowing I could not let him get in my head and just try to play my game, but a shanked tee shot on the first hole threw that out the window.

Driver: Ping G30 SFTech Stiff Flex

3W: Cobra F9, Atmos TS Blue 7S

5W: Cobra F6

4H: Cobra F7 4-5H 22* Stiff Flex

5-PW: Taylormade RSI TP +1/2", 2* Upright, Stiff Flex (DG S400)

50, 54: Titleist Vokey SM6 Steel Grey, F-Grind/M-Grind

funny you should ask this as I was just recently thinking about it.  I play in a best-ball league at work and there are a number of "newer" golfers.... who always seemed to bring out the worst in me.

The way I got around it was - even if it is best ball - pretend that my ball is the only one in play and I have to play every shot using my ball.  REALLY helped me concentrate.

If your league isn't best-ball and it's mano-v-mano then my advice would be to remember to play the course and nothing else.  you're not playing him (or anyone else) you're just playing the course to see how good you can do.  A bit of a jedi-mind-trick but it helps me sometimes.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Funny thread because a friend of mine was telling me about how he hates to play with our league treasurer. There uses to be a guy in our league who would always seem to get in your line of sight. Lots of people hates playing with him. I'd just back off the ball and ask him to move but it did get old after a while.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Just from reading this I think there are 2 issues.  FWIW here's my take on it.

Playing with THAT guy - It's all mental.  You just need to figure out a way to forget who you're playing with.  It might be walking instead of riding, or riding instead of walking.  Find a way to keep apart from the other guy and like Not a scratch golfer said work on playing against the course or against yourself instead of watching what the other guy is doing.  Think about your last round and the shots you hit and try to beat yourself instead of him.  Find out what exactly it is about this guy that sets you off.  Maybe it's something you can change by getting to know him better?  I used to have a THAT guy but then I rode with him a couple times and got to know him.  Turns out we are buddies now and he's no longer THAT guy.

2nd issue is managing expectations.  You shot 4 over your handicap.  If your sig is correct as an 11 handicap that means you shot somewhere about 87?  Your handicap would put you at 83.  You have to remember that your handicap is not your average score.  It is a representation of your potential or ability.  If you are shooting your handicap every time you go out then you're sandbagging.  I'm a 4 at my course, if I shoot 4 over my handi that's an 80.  Not a great round, but by no means a bad one.  The higher your handicap to start with that 4 over your handicap starts looking a lot better.

Sum it up with this I guess.  You need to find a way to get over your mental block about this guy.  You were going to shoot a "bad" round before you even tee'd off because you believed you would when playing with this guy.  You have to manage your expectations.  Shooting within a few strokes of your handicap is pretty reasonable.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I appreciate the feedback guys.  I have been really focusing this year on the mental aspect of my game because I feel that is an area where I need to improve.  Our league is a work league so we see most each other every day.  This guys happens to work in my same group so he comes by several times a day.  He is never shy about rubbing in that I can't beat him despite my handicap being lower and him admitting I am better.  His whole game leading up to the match was just to try to get in my head because it is fun for him.  So to start the round he did that by talking too much during my pre-shot routine and riding in the same cart as me and smoking the entire round then hovering by me when I would go to my ball or the tee box.

Hckymeyer, I'm glad you pointed out that 4 over my handicap is not a bad round by normal standards and it wasnt.  After the first two holes I was able to settle in and let the course come to me.  I'm not trying to blame my bad round on playing with him, I would just like to be able to go into any round and play my best despite my opponent.

Driver: Ping G30 SFTech Stiff Flex

3W: Cobra F9, Atmos TS Blue 7S

5W: Cobra F6

4H: Cobra F7 4-5H 22* Stiff Flex

5-PW: Taylormade RSI TP +1/2", 2* Upright, Stiff Flex (DG S400)

50, 54: Titleist Vokey SM6 Steel Grey, F-Grind/M-Grind

I learned how to handle the "One" guy I'd rather never play with. He's a DH to begin with and is always trying to order people around. Stand over here, don't do this or that, blah, blah, blah. LOL

Well I found the easy way to flip it on him is to ignore everything he says. Or do the opposite! It really gets under his skin and his game collapses. LMAO What a Jerk.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I use to hate getting paired with a guy at my club who from hole 1 to 18, all he said was "Tour issued this, Tour issue that", blah blah blah.....

It is cool though "BOUNCING" him everytime with my fitted set....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

One of my leagues is match play.  While it is competitive, we play the ball up so it's really just for fun.  There are literally players that sandbag to fluf their handicap.     This I have a difficult time understanding.  I think first place is something like 300 bucks.  The expense of playing far exceeds any earnings...Not to mention the time wasted not playing to potential.  These guys I would prefer not play with.  Other than that I'm awfully laid back.  New players walking in my line, talking while I swing, even "forgetting" strokes I can handle.  I have enough things going on upstairs during a round to worry about someone else. 

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I'm really easy going but it is the guy who gives me tips! I will play golf with anyone, good, bad or new to the game but give me tips, this will rattle me. I finally told this one guy I have spent thousands of dollars over the years and have just set up my Winter lessons again learning how to play, what about you!

It takes a lot for me to get to this point but that one day was it.

I'm really easy going but it is the guy who gives me tips! I will play golf with anyone, good, bad or new to the game but give me tips, this will rattle me. I finally told this one guy I have spent thousands of dollars over the years and have just set up my Winter lessons again learning how to play, what about you!

It takes a lot for me to get to this point but that one day was it.

A PLUS on this!  Even worse is the "tips" guy that can't seem to hit the ball well and is giving you tips!  On the flip side, since I cannot stand Mr. Tips guy I do not EVER give anyone any tips.  

Besides.... the last place you want to make any swing changes is on the course...  ask Mr. Tips guy if he'd like to follow you to the range after the round and he can give you all the tips he has there.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Easy way to deal with tips guy (though perhaps a little harsh) is to penalise him for a rule breach (Giving Advice Rule 8) , difficult in a social round, but technically mandatory in a competition round.

Odds are he won't do it again

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• 9 months later...

One thing that's worked for things like this in various sports I've played is to mentally rehearse some worse case scenarios that could happen playing with this guy, and then how you'll react to it and overcome it.

One of the things I loved about your second post Seef824 is that you're actively trying to improve in this area. Playing with this guy is good practice. Obviously Tiger went through something similar with his Dad pulling some stunts on the course to strengthen him mentally.

***Edit - sorry for replying to an old post.  Searching for something else and thought it was new.  Doh!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Kevin - My dads league partner. He is a ______ idiot. On course "lessons", smart a$$ comments "looks like you should have clubed up 1." Only cares about winning skins, takes the FUN right out of G O L F. Other than that he is a great guy. I have to play 3 scrambles with him this year. Wearing ear plugs.

One thing that's worked for things like this in various sports I've played is to mentally rehearse some worse case scenarios that could happen playing with this guy, and then how you'll react to it and overcome it.

One of the things I loved about your second post Seef824 is that you're actively trying to improve in this area. Playing with this guy is good practice. Obviously Tiger went through something similar with his Dad pulling some stunts on the course to strengthen him mentally.

***Edit - sorry for replying to an old post. Searching for something else and thought it was new. Doh!

It's good to revive threads! This topic can be fresh I think.

- Alan

We all know that guy - usually a great guy at work, in the neighborhood, or wherever... but get him on the course, and the whole day goes to s#it...

Ones true nature comes out on the golf course more so than anywhere else.

Life is to short to play with idiots, aholes, and the rest. How many times do you go play with people or a person you dont like to get a round in? To many probably.

In golf, as in life, the abuse you get is the abuse you are willing to take and every DH out there knows it. As far as the rest how about a no. As in NO, pair me with someone else. If its not your nature to back them off put your mind to ignoring them in league as described above, because the DH's of the world will never get it anyway.

One of my leagues is match play.  While it is competitive, we play the ball up so it's really just for fun.  There are literally players that sandbag to fluf their handicap.     This I have a difficult time understanding.  I think first place is something like 300 bucks.  The expense of playing far exceeds any earnings...Not to mention the time wasted not playing to potential.  These guys I would prefer not play with.  Other than that I'm awfully laid back.  New players walking in my line, talking while I swing, even "forgetting" strokes I can handle.  I have enough things going on upstairs during a round to worry about someone else. 

I have the same approach to my league. We have very good players and very bad players. We can buy a mulligan for a buck(one time)  and you can fluff your ball within 6" of where it was. It's just a fun league that pays $140 a man to win it (2 man teams). 

The cheating that goes on is comical! I couldn't care less, but I've seen issues that almost came to fists...lol. I just drink more beer when the evening goes that direction. :lol:

Update:  This year we are carrying over handicaps from last year.  In addition I am paired up against said sandbagger the first match of the year.  Big smiles on my end.

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I totally agree with @Golfspy Meyer here. "That guy" I think is a term which is all relative. Having played in everything from tourneys to invites to "casual rounds", I've found that there are lots of different types of golfers. If it is a reference to a tendency that another player has, then I think we can all be at fault of that from time to time. Sure some people routinely act a certain way or have certain things they do which annoy you, but that's not to mean you have to be miserable.

If someone bothers my vision or line when I'm getting ready to swing, I politely tell them and ask that they move a little. Or if they seem non-talkative I will try to start conversation on topics until they do. I will always "take the high road" in any way I can.

I also make sure my process is always in tact. If you go into a round assuming the worst of a player, that will eat you up. Some guys just may be totally oblivious to how their choices on the course affect others.

Also, because handicap is a factor of "potential", it is statistically more likely we shoot over it then at or under it. Your most extreme scores are not used in calculations. If you occasionally have rounds that are higher than "normal", just brush it off because there are more rounds to play.

I also find that in a stressful situation it helps to slow down, control my breathing before the shot, and really stay in the moment. And also, we're not on tour bro 👍.

Cheers

- Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Great thread!  

I've golfed with Meyer a few times and I sincerely hope I'm not that guy to whom he referred.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I usually play solo and have been ver lucky - can't seem to remember any jackasses that I've been paired with (now, those people who were teamed with me may have a different story, but they're not here to tell it).

Couple of rules:

1. Never play for money with people I've never met

2. Only play for money (or drinks, or hot dogs) with people you know and feel comfortable with

3. Keep the stakes low so you don't get pissed, or have to explain anything to the wife, if you lose

4. With friends I usually just decline any winnings or else make it up in the bar afterwards - it was for fun after all.

5. I'll pay up when on the losing end - usually friends say make it up in the bar afterwards -makes it easy.

6. I like to walk when I can - so I don't get stuck in a cart with a guy I may not like or who may not like me.

The only type of player I don't like is Mr. Sloooooooow.  I can tune out sandbaggers, cheaters, braggers and tips guys, but you can't outrun slooooooooooow.  Generally try to drop a hint or two: "looks like we have company," or "the group in front of us has left us in the dust..."  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  

Do agree with other posters -- best thing to do if you can't escape it is play your own game against the course and tune the other guy out as much as possible.  Playing music always helps  :lol:  :lol:

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I have been lucky. Throw out one particular past playing partner who I finally quit playing with and beyond that I may have had 2 or 3 rounds in 20 years with anyone I would consider a horrible playing partner.

A few interesting and odd ones on occasion but nothing horrible.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

A few interesting and odd ones on occasion but nothing horrible.

Wait.. Do I fit into this group?! Ha ha ha

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Wait.. Do I fit into this group?! Ha ha ha

MDGolfHacker

Well to be fair, we both probably have been interesting and odd at least a few times over the past 13 years. Lol

Maybe the other golfers of the world think likewise of some of us.

Like the old saying goes. If you look around a group can't pick out the jerk, then sorry to say, you're peobably it. Ha

I got 3 of these guys:

1. Guy is a 30 'capper and when I miss a putt he will tell me how I should have done it. Yeah... no...

2. Guy plays off 9 and is constantly giving me swing tips... I mean I get it, you are better than me, but that doesn't make you a teacher... so please stfu and let me play. And having to listen to the same tips week after week? Awww gawwwd please shoot me!

3. Slow guy... when you play with him, you need 3 hours for 9 holes... so at the turn I just said, sorry, but I gotta go...

For guys #1 and #2, I know play with earphones and listen to my music... works like a charm!
For guy #3, I just avoid playing with him or constantly remind him that we must catch up with the group in front :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I mainly play golf solo or with friends, but when playing with folks I don't know, I just try to not "be that guy."

I'll avoid slow players whenever possible, but for anything else I can just take out my hearing aids ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

There's a guy in my MISGA group that just has to let everyone know how professionally successful he is and all the top courses he's played.  At some point he will ask, what is it that you do or did.   When he first asked me, I told him that I was a dildo model for senior women. 

There is an older gentleman I used to play with last year that was difficult to play with. I'm all for relaxing and having a good time, but when everyone has hit and you're sitting in the cart lighting up a cigarette, just taking your time... it's frustrating.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Archived