Olympic letdown

StrokerAce

Pretty much knew this was coming... the return of Golf to the Olympics looks like it might be really disappointing....

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/day-wds-olympics-citing-zika-concerns/?cid=facebook-gc-a-day-wds-olympics-citing-zika-concerns-062816

• Like 1

(D) G410 LST | (3) SpeedZone Big Tour | (5) TM Sim Max | (H) Titleist 818 H2 | (I) Z785 | (W) ZipCore | (P) Cleveland Premier HB 11

Looks like a remake of "Blame It On Rio"

This one is going to make the Sochi Olympics look like a well-oiled machine...

• Like 4

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Ryder cup will certainly be the event of the year... 

• Like 2

(D) G410 LST | (3) SpeedZone Big Tour | (5) TM Sim Max | (H) Titleist 818 H2 | (I) Z785 | (W) ZipCore | (P) Cleveland Premier HB 11

Shane Lowry's out too....

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

...sheesh!  at this point they'll be lucky to get anyone in the top 20.  Only a matter of time before a number of US players withdraw.  

If DJ hasn't done it yet I wouldn't be surprised if he did.  Young guy who probably wants a couple more kids.  Certainly not worth the risk.

This is going to turn in to a champions tour event real quick.

I am pretty amazed we haven't heard anything from the LPGA side yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Could be because they don't get as much prime time exposure as the men they may see this as an opportunity to grow interest in the LPGA.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

golf at the olympics is going to be awful, regardless of who participates. The format sounds horrible. I am not looking forward to seeing it, I love golf so I may watch to see what it is, but I'm. It expecting much.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

More bad news everyday about Rio and the Olympics. I mean the entire thing. It's a train wreck. All of it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this thing collapse. Who in their right mind would even want to go there? For any reason. Not me.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

There is a disparity between golf in the Olympics and other sports in the Olympics.  Athletes in other sports train for four years, compete in events scattered throughout year against other Olympic hopefuls, but it's not an every week thing.  The Olympics is what they tune up for. 

Golfers compete against other golfers almost weekly with a week off here and there.  It's their livelihood; they compete to earn money, and it's a lot of money if they are good enough.  The best golfers in the USA, Great Britain and Ireland, and the rest of the world compete as teams at the Ryder Cup and President's Cup.  Sure, Olympic Gold is a great honor to show that you are the best in the world, representing your country.  But don't golfers already have that?  Jason Day is #1 in the world; Rory McIlroy is #4 in the world.  If they played in the Olympics and Rory won Gold, does that make him the best golfer in the world?  Yes, on that day, but it wouldn't move him to #1 in the world. So the Olympic Gold is just another medal to put on the shelf for golfers.

Look at the schedule of the major tournaments for the rest of this year.  There are other tournaments in those off weeks, but the best players are going to play in these for sure.

July 14-17       The Open Championship

July  28-31      PGA Championship

Aug 11-14       Olympics

Aug 25-28       Barclays  (FedEX Playoff)

Sep 9-5           Deutsche Bank  (FedEX Playoff)

Sep 8-11         BMW (FedEX Playoff)

Sep 22-25       Tour Championship (FedEX)

Sep 30-Oct 2  Ryder Cup

That is one tough schedule.  The Olympics are right in the middle between two Majors and the FedEX playoffs with the Ryder Cup following that.  If I were playing, I would want some rest coming out of two Major championships before I head into the playoffs.  Knowing that if I play well in the tour events in the next two months, maybe win a couple and one being a Major, I could become #1 in the world golf rankings.  I would also win $10M+.  I can totally understand not playing in the Olympics!

It might be in a player's best interest to skip the Olympics and prepare for the playoffs.  All of the distractions with the virus, crime, poor planning, etc. at Rio may just be the excuse they need.  Now, with the top players out of the Olympics what does the Gold Medal mean to the player who wins?  I beat everyone in the world (except the top players who weren't there)?  Just sayin'

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I guess the Olympic committee should put more weight on the Health risks in other parts of the world before assigning Olympic sites.

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

The thing that no one is really discussing is the world health issue that this Olympics potentially poses. If trends hold true, there could be somewhere in the neighborhood of 500,000 tourists in Rio from all over the world to watch the games. What is the possibility that Zika infects a tiny percentage of visitors, and then goes global??  This could be devastating to every country on the planet...  

In the interest of full disclosure, I am NOT a doctor or a virologist. I am just someone who is concerned about the global spread of a virus that has such profound effects on children.  

• Like 2

Driver - :taylormade-small:   SIM2 Max 9° Tour MT 6-S   or   :srixon-small: ZX 7 9.5° Ventus VeloCore Blue S
Fairway - :srixon-small: ZX  3 wd. Ventus VeloCore Blue S

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

South Africa's Lee-Anne Pace became the first official female withdrawal from the 2016 Olympics.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/first-female-golfer-withdraws-from-olympics-citing-zika?mbid=social_facebook

Regardless of the health issues in Brazil (the Olympic Committee nominated Rio as far back as 2009 - long before the zika virus was an issue) there are two fundamentals that are inescapable :

1. The Olympics doesn't need professional golf

2. Professional golf doesn't need the Olympics

Once these two fundamentals are realised, it's a lot easier to understand why many pros worldwide are opting out of the Olympic schedule. The zika virus just makes it somewhat easier to come up a plausible excuse not to attend, rather than stating the obvious and simply saying it's not really worth my time and effort to play. It's a pretty much impossible task to get the Pga Tour players to travel outside of continental US as it is, but asking them attend an unofficial tournament and turn their backs on a potential prize fund during the same period of the Olympics of some $24 million is a bit of a tall order for even the most optimistic of golf fans.

• Like 2

Golfers don't train there entire careers for a chance to play at the olympics, for many of the athletes that compete at the olympics, the olympics are the pinnacle of their sport, so you won't see many if at all that will not go, for pro golfers they make their living playing golf and they don't need the olympics to make or break their career, I think his experiment of golf at the olympics is pathetic,

• Like 3

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Couldn't agree more with the "amateur" angle... I remember when only amateur basketball players (i.e. college) could go.

You could even take it another step and I think if you pick some of the guys on the web.com tour (not really amateurs but not quite PGA pros either)  they'd be overjoyed at having a chance to play there.  They don't have majors and a FedEx cup awaiting them and would be thrilled to go.

• Like 1