TESTERS WANTED! ×

Callaway Announces X-ACT TANK Chippers

• SPY VIP

odyssey-x-act-tank-back-2016-73066552535.jpg

"The X-Act Tank Chipper is a new short-game option that utilizes our Tank weighting philosophy to help ensure a smoother swing, promoting more consistent contact. It's designed to function like an Approach Putter, providing an easy-to-hit option that plays perfectly between a putter and a wedge for those tricky shots around the greens. The Hi-Def Marxman Alignment System significantly increases accuracy while the soft polymer insert and hybrid-like sole design help get the ball out of trouble and rolling right to the hole."

odyssey-x-act-tank-address-2016-73066552535.jpg

The hottest new must-have chipper (my sarcastic words) from Callaway Golf is available in two lofts (37° and 46°). For those who don't have their spec charts handy, those would sit between an 8 and 9 iron and pitching wedge and a-wedge in a set of Callaway XR Irons.

It should go without saying that the short-shafted (35") chipper isn't intended for full swings, and is instead intended for those who need a bit of extra help around the greens...like Tiger Woods for instance.

odyssey-x-act-tank-side-2016-73066552535.jpg

Key Features Include:

• Heavy Tank Design: 355 gram head
  • X-Act Sole: A hybrid-like design for easy gliding through turf
  • Polymer Insert: Feel
  • Marxman Alignment System: Duh
  • SuperStroke Chipper Grip: Apparently this is a real thing

odyssey-x-act-tank-face-2016-73066552535.jpg

Once upon a time I would have mocked the X-ACT Tank Chipper incessantly (more so than I have here), but if nothing else, this job has made me appreciate just about anything that could make the game easier, or at least a bit more fun the average golfer, or the struggling golfer.

The X-ART TANK Chipper hits retail on 7/15 with a sticker price of $129.99.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Didnt they have one like 3 or so years ago?

Marksman X-Act "Wedge"

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

These aren't legal right?

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, Cally XR16 Driver, G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I E1 irons, Vokey SM5 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

These aren't legal right?

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, Cally XR16 Driver, G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I E1 irons, Vokey SM5 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

Why wouldn't they be?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I guess I've always been under the impression that the "chipper" wasn't legal.

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Look at that...they have their own rule and everything with USGA. Legal as can be...hmm

I guess I've always been under the impression that the "chipper" wasn't legal.

I believe its the 2 way chipper that is illegal 

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I've never owned or played with one but I don't have thing against it if you do. I've tried them before when someone had it in their bag. Honestly, they're pretty effective. I just grew up playing without such a club. There are plenty of various lofted clubs in my bag that I can perform the same task. Mostly I use a club anywhere from 8i down to my SW. Most of the time around the green I prefer to keep the ball low and running.

Story - a couple of years ago I played in a tournament with a women that had a "chipper" and was a single digit handicapper and was deadly with it. I recall over 2 days she chipped in 3 times! Otherwise her ball was right around the cup.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Funny, I always thought they were illegal as well...

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I'm sure this club will find a home in a few bags, but I'm not giving up a spot in my bag for a club that I can just use my 8 iron or even a 5 wood and make the same shot.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I'd be willing to put one in the bag for playing in scrambles and things like that. It would be a fun little club to play around with.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

take preferred iron, grip down on shaft, tilt up on toe, perform smooth sweeping motion- and BOOM, "need" for this club is eliminated.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I have never used a chipper, but I love them simply for the fact that they rustle everyone's jimmies. This would be a great forum-member-review opportunity if Callaway could cough a few up.

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

I was thinking about this, and if nothing else this club demonstrates the proper way to hit a chip shot, being shaped like a putter it would promote a putter like stroke, which is how you should chip.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I don't need one but when the first one came out our store sold 8-9 in a span of 2 months and all those guys had their handicaps go down.

If they could do the choke down technique with any consistency they would have been lower handicaps already.

I have nothing against chippers. I went through the yips and went long/belly. Same thing you use the club that gets you that par.

I have a lot of faith in my putting stroke at the moment, but my pace just off the green is frequently off.  I will avoid trying this club as it would most likely find it's way in my bag lol.

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I have a lot of faith in my putting stroke at the moment, but my pace just off the green is frequently off. I will avoid trying this club as it would most likely find it's way in my bag lol.

Nothing wrong with it being in the bag. Scorecards don't have pictures lol

Archived