TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putting from off the green

kmaygolf

I've never been able to do it. Whether it's from the rough just off the green or from the fairway/approach. My high school coach was a big fan of putting from everywhere. He would say "a bad putt is better than a bad chip" which is true but I seem to have a lot more bad putts than chips from similar areas.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I agree to a point, I also have a difficult time putting through too much fringe or fairway, I have found that when Im deeper or farther off the green what works better for me is using a 9,8 or 7 iron and using my putter grip and stroke.

I agree to a point, I also have a difficult time putting through too much fringe or fairway, I have found that when Im deeper or farther off the green what works better for me is using a 9,8 or 7 iron and using my putter grip and stroke.

I do chip with an 8 iron but only when I have plenty of green to work with and preferably uphill

I do chip with an 8 iron but only when I have plenty of green to work with and preferably uphill

Agreed it's an evaluate each situation type of process. There really is no right answer, your going to get a lot of different opinions on this issue with a lot of different solutions. Good luck!

I usually do not putt from anywhere off the green, but I will assess the situation for each shot, I will on a very rare occasion putt from the fringe, but I prefer not to, I would rather use a 9 or pw and pretty much just putt it with those. My issue is that I have a difficult time judging how hard to hit it through the fringe and if I putt it, I will usually go 10 feet past or come up 10 feet short, and I don't like that.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Clearly, it depends on the type of grass you have and how short it is.  AND, if you think you will use this shot a lot, it's a shot that you have to practice just as much as other short game shots.  Some people putt with a FW or hybrid, but I would never do it on the course because it doesn't even feel good to me when I practice it... so I don't!  

When playing on Bermuda, I never get it right.  It's that dang grain thing.  My closely mown fairway/fringe is easy to putt with a putter, and I do practice it to get the feel of the speed.  But there becomes a point where I would rather chip.  

I always say:  Putt when you can, chip when you can't putt, and pitch when you have to.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I always check the grain before I putt from the fringe

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I play with a guy who uses a "Texas wedge" ... and he will putt from 20 yards off the green as long as he is in the fairway.  He is really good at it too!  

I agree with Kenny.  I think you go with whatever you have the most confidence in.  The make percentage is very low already so if you think of it in regards to how close can I get it so that I have an easy 2nd shot and then choose the club based on that it's much easier.

I do have one question though... I never putt with a glove on ... but when I'm off the green and decide to putt I'll decide to leave it on.  Does it make a difference to you?  Do you chip without a glove on?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I've never been able to do it. Whether it's from the rough just off the green or from the fairway/approach. My high school coach was a big fan of putting from everywhere. He would say "a bad putt is better than a bad chip" which is true but I seem to have a lot more bad putts than chips from similar areas.

So I'm not the only one!  I'm the worst putter from the fringe that I know. My average is definitely better when chipping if I'm more than a few inches off the green.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I play with a guy who uses a "Texas wedge" ... and he will putt from 20 yards off the green as long as he is in the fairway.  He is really good at it too!  

I agree with Kenny.  I think you go with whatever you have the most confidence in.  The make percentage is very low already so if you think of it in regards to how close can I get it so that I have an easy 2nd shot and then choose the club based on that it's much easier.

I do have one question though... I never putt with a glove on ... but when I'm off the green and decide to putt I'll decide to leave it on.  Does it make a difference to you?  Do you chip without a glove on?

I don't ever wear a glove so...  yes.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I play with a guy who uses a "Texas wedge" ... and he will putt from 20 yards off the green as long as he is in the fairway. He is really good at it too!

I agree with Kenny. I think you go with whatever you have the most confidence in. The make percentage is very low already so if you think of it in regards to how close can I get it so that I have an easy 2nd shot and then choose the club based on that it's much easier.

I do have one question though... I never putt with a glove on ... but when I'm off the green and decide to putt I'll decide to leave it on. Does it make a difference to you? Do you chip without a glove on?

If I have a putter in my hands I do not have a glove on, just doesn't feel right to me

I usually do not putt from anywhere off the green, but I will assess the situation for each shot, I will on a very rare occasion putt from the fringe, but I prefer not to, I would rather use a 9 or pw and pretty much just putt it with those. My issue is that I have a difficult time judging how hard to hit it through the fringe and if I putt it, I will usually go 10 feet past or come up 10 feet short, and I don't like that.

I'm with you on that one

I always say:  Putt when you can, chip when you can't putt, and pitch when you have to.

I am with Kenny B on that.

Like others mentioned it should be on a case by case basis. Obviously your not going to putt over the top of a sprinkler head, or if the grass is growing strangely, or if you would have to go over a divot. I would bet when there isn't a crazy break, or any of the other above situations most amateurs will find that if they made five chips and five putts from the same spot the putts will be generally be closer to the hole. Additionally, if you decide to putt if you didn't hole out you will find yourself putting again, whereas chipping we've all had the duffs, chunks and blades that left us with the wedge in our hand a second time....

Whats in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815

3-Wood: Callaway Razr Fit

Hybrid: Adams Pro, 18 Degree

4-PW: Ping S56

SW: Cleveland CG10 (Need a set of wedges BAD!!!)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #6

Twitter: @rlshea

Mid-Minnesota Golf Club

I will "Texas Wedge" it anytime I'm on the fringe or just a few yards off the front in the fairway. I have found that if I put my weight on my front leg and lean forward just a little, then hit the ball on a descending blow, it usually pops up a little and rolls fairly true. But, that's my preference.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

When I'm at home in northern Virginia, I very rarely putt from off the green, usually when I'm within a foot or two of the green itself.  Our fairway grass just isn't cut short enough to make putting from any further a good choice, at least for me.  But I just got back from Ireland, and I almost always chose to putt whenever I could.  The difference is the turf.  The ground is so firm, and the grass is so short, that hitting a pitch or chip is much more exacting than it is at home, so the putter becomes the most dependable option.  I've seen similar turf in Scotland (where's I've putted from 50 yards out) and in the Pinehurst area.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I putt from anywhere I can. As long as there isn't anything heavy in front of me im putting. Putt your hands way forward and hit it at a downward angle creates top spin to help it get through the fringe or fairways. I'm a true believer that a bad putt is better than most good chips

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, Cally XR16 Driver, G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I E1 irons, Vokey SM5 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I have to really like the lie that I have to putt more than 5 feet off a green. My normal play is to hit my 58 degree or a 7 iron if I have to get it in somewhere tight. I am not however opposed to switching to my putter if I cant chip to save my life.

I'll hit putts from the fringe or just off the rough if it's a 15 foot or less putt and I've short sided myself. MY big problem - I putt lefty and hit righty. I don't have great feel putting righty so I always use some sort of a chip. 9 iron or 60 are my go to. 60 if there's a lot of nasty rough, 9 iron if it's pretty flat. Sometimes I will hit long putts from the fringe, but that's depending on how i've putted or chipped that round.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

The fairways where I play are long and bouncy. There is no way to consistently putt the ball. I do have some success with hybrids using a putting stroke from the fairway.

If my pace is dialed in then putting from the fringe does more harm than good.  I'm actually considering one of those odyssey chippers for fringe/fairway shots...Though I cringe just typing it..

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Ditto to everything, I'd rather putt than chip because that's my strength but I would need to check out the situation first.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Lost a stroke today cause I tried to put where the fringe and rough meet.  I know some guys use hybrids or 3 woods for those situations but the shafts are just too long for me to feel comfortable.  I suppose unless I have a clear path for my putter to swing back and through then I'm not using it.

oh well.. lesson learned!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Lost a stroke today cause I tried to put where the fringe and rough meet. I know some guys use hybrids or 3 woods for those situations but the shafts are just too long for me to feel comfortable. I suppose unless I have a clear path for my putter to swing back and through then I'm not using it.

oh well.. lesson learned!

I actually practice those shots pretty frequently. I've found the most success with a 52* wedge and the ball way back in my stance as to de-loft the club, if that makes sense to you

I always check the grain before I putt from the fringe

I always putt if I am with the grain. Case by case if not.

Also, if there is a lot of fringe, I play the putt a little forward in the stance so I catch the ball ever so slightly on an upswing to help it get moving. That way I don't spend a ton of time judging how hard to hit through the fringe.

If you are a putter who has a tendency to catch the ball on a negative angle of attack then fringe putting might be a nightmare. My 2 cents.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I was playing with a pro the other day, and he showed me a shot that I hadn't tried before.  My approach shot was right at a back pin but went long.  There is a mound off the back so I had a downhill lie in rough about 3 feet to the fringe, then about 8 feet to the hole, all downhill and the green is pretty quick.  Normally, I would try a regular chip shot landing the ball in the rough, letting it trickle through the fringe and roll to the hole.  IF I hit a good chip, I would be happy with about a 10-15 footer coming back up the slope.  The pro putted the ball with the toe of my 58* SCOR, standing almost straight on top of the ball.  The ball rolled nicely across the rough, onto the green and into the hole!!  I told him that was a lucky shot and he couldn't do it again.  I was right... he hit another ball and it ended up about a foot from the hole.  I've been practicing that shot, and it really works.

I actually practice those shots pretty frequently. I've found the most success with a 52* wedge and the ball way back in my stance as to de-loft the club, if that makes sense to you

Thanks!  I'll give that a try next time.  Appreciate the advice.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I was playing with a pro the other day, and he showed me a shot that I hadn't tried before.  My approach shot was right at a back pin but went long.  There is a mound off the back so I had a downhill lie in rough about 3 feet to the fringe, then about 8 feet to the hole, all downhill and the green is pretty quick.  Normally, I would try a regular chip shot landing the ball in the rough, letting it trickle through the fringe and roll to the hole.  IF I hit a good chip, I would be happy with about a 10-15 footer coming back up the slope.  The pro putted the ball with the toe of my 58* SCOR, standing almost straight on top of the ball.  The ball rolled nicely across the rough, onto the green and into the hole!!  I told him that was a lucky shot and he couldn't do it again.  I was right... he hit another ball and it ended up about a foot from the hole.  I've been practicing that shot, and it really works.

Wow... I've never seen that before.  The toe of the wedge?  Can you post a pic of what it would look like?  Does hitting it on the toe "deaden" the ball?  

Sounds similar to a flop shot in which you need to practice it quite a bit to have confidence hitting it...  but if you can pull it off sounds like a thing of beauty!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Lots of nice topics that I missed while at a conference last week this being one of them.

As several have stated the part of the country/world means everything here. Until I lived in Florida I would always opt chip except from the actually fringe. I don't ever recall putting from the fairway when I lived up north except to practice.

Down here though it's a must have in the bag of tricks as well as a hby rid/fairway wood bump and run. If you are into the grain with a tight lie the last thing you want to be doing is chipping. We've all seen pros embarrass themselves on Kikuya or Bermuda trying to chip. If it happens to them....

I have found that the key is to hit up on the ball a bit (hybrid or putter) because it avoids that crazy first bounce into the grain and gets the ball rolling sooner. It takes a little practice.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived