TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Best Golf Trip Ever: Scotland v Ireland?

Which is the best destination for a Golf trip? Scotland or Ireland?

You may have read MyGolfSpy's recent blog, where we asked two respective authorities of Scottish and Irish golf to go head to head and describe the perfect golf trip to their homeland... and the then say why their itinerary (over the other) deserved the mantle of the best golf trip ever!

The article can be read here

For those wanting to cut to the chase, the summary is as follows.... Kieran selected the line up below for the "Best Ever Scottish Trip":

1.Old Course, St. Andrews

2.Kingsbarns

3.New Course, St. Andrews

4.Championship Course at Carnoustie 

5.West Links at North Berwick 

6.Muirfield

7.Gleneagles Kings 

Not bad! However, when you put it up against Kevin's picks for "Ireland's Best Ever Trip", it's a tough call to decide which is the best...

1.Ballybunion Old

2.Ballybunion Cashen

3.Tralee

4.Waterville 

5.Dooks 

6.Old Head

7.Killarney

What are your views? Which trip would you take? And are you lucky enough to have played any of these courses?

Or, do you disagree with their choices? And if so which Scottish or Irish courses would you place in your ultimate trip itinerary?

Thanks, Guy

UK and Irish Golf Vacations at unbeatable prices

Saving golfers time and money!

Golfbreaks.com

GolfbreaksUSA-728X90-WHITE-02.gif

• 6 months later...

I'd be thrilled to have either trip. But I have heard the best overall time is Ireland when you consider the golf, the beauty and the off course food and drinks around town.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

In Ireland, i'd replace either Dooks or Kilarney with Lahinch.

In Scotland, the New at St.Andrews is not a must-play.

I'd agree with this, but you could stay in a single location and play all of the listed courses.  If I'm playing Lahinch, I'd want to stay north of the Shannon.

I think the New is a good course, but you could sub in Panmure, Lundin Links, Elie, or Crail, and not be taking a downgrade.  Its really hard to go wrong.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 2 months later...

A good friend went to SW Ireland this past October - he said the rates were about half after 10/1, and that the weather was much less dicey. Perhaps a wee trip to the Ol' Country, with a bit of bashing!

May your worries be as few, and as far between, as me dear Grannie's teeth!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I'd pick the Scottish trip over the Irish trip simply because there's a lot less travelling. If I'm honest, the Irish trip is a little too touristy for my liking, with the possible exception of Ballybunion Old.

Portrush and Royal County Down are much nicer IMO.

While we're on the subject of being controversial, you may want to consider leaving St. Andrews Old off your list. Yup, I did say St. Andrews Old. Take a walk along the course and soak up the atmosphere for sure, but if you've actually played it (3 times in my case) be prepared for the most underwhelming experience of your golfing career. As a course to play - it's pretty boring. I get the need for tourists to tick it off their bucket list and get a selfie on the Swilken Bridge, but apart from that there isn't a single stand out hole (17th included) that you would want to play on a regular basis. The New Course is a much better test of golf to be honest. I'd also throw Royal Dornoch into the mix as well.

• 2 months later...

This July my father and I will be taking THE BEST GOLF TRIP EVER! We are going for my 30th birthday and his 67th. Our itinerary is as follows:

Arrive in Edinburgh

1. MUIRFIELD

2. MUIRFIELD -SECOND AFTERNOON ROUND

3. CARNOUSTIE

4. KINGSBARNS

5. OLD COURSE

6. ROYAL LYTHAM AND ST ANNES

THE OPEN-FINAL ROUND

7. TRUMP TURNBERRY

8. PRESTWICK

9. ROYAL TROON

Depart Glasgow

We are renting a car and staying in B&B's and traversing across Scotland, checking out Whisky distilleries and castles along the way.

Cheers 

This July my father and I will be taking THE BEST GOLF TRIP EVER! We are going for my 30th birthday and his 67th. 

You'll have a great time, I wish I'd had the chance to do this with my Dad.  You'll have fun seeing and playing all of the famous courses.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 1 month later...

In Ireland you are missing portmarnock golf club and the island, baltray and the k club, Killeen castle druids glen. List is endless. But why not do both Ireland AND Scotland ? Easy answer

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Don't think you can go wrong with this list. If you're going to Scotland and want a great course that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, play Crail. It's about 10 minutes from Kingsbarn

Heck, play both courses at Crail, for less than one round at Kingsbarns, then play at Elie, Lundin Links and Leven, there's so much good golf that we never hear about in the States.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

In Ireland you are missing portmarnock golf club and the island, baltray and the k club, Killeen castle druids glen. List is endless. But why not do both Ireland AND Scotland ? Easy answer

All the Irish courses he recommended are west coast so hard to do your Dublin based list as well. I did a bit of both in June and played Dooks and Tralee to the west and Portmarnock Old, Island and European Club from Dublin. The only disappointment was Portmarnock in my opinion. It was our most expensive round and I just didn't get it at all. Short, flat, kind of easy, and rather boring. Island and European Club were both very dynamic pieces of land and much more entertaining. Tralee is beautiful and Dooks is a lot of fun. Would repeat all but Portmarnock

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Both are obviously Great trips. I have played almost all of them, but I would definately add Portrush, Royal county Down and The European to the Irish list which I think is some of the Best Irish courses. Scotland I would add Turnberry and Troon. Scotland for me has generally been a little better condition wise and Old course is an exceptional historic journey. For me its Scotland....

Archived