TESTERS WANTED! ×

Single Length Irons

808nation

Rick shields did a review on the forged ones and pointed out what I think might end up being an issue for a lot of people which is the longer irons won't fly high enough to hold any greens

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I don't see it as a problem for me, because my longest iron into a green now is a 5i and it holds OK.   These Cobras shouldn't fly any lower than my clubs.  I don't hit a high ball anyway.

I will certainly be giving them a try, but I think I might have more issues with the short clubs.  I don't know if I could get used to hitting a wedge that is a 7i length.  I guess that is what a demo day is for.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I don't see it as a problem for me, because my longest iron into a green now is a 5i and it holds OK. These Cobras shouldn't fly any lower than my clubs. I don't hit a high ball anyway.

I will certainly be giving them a try, but I think I might have more issues with the short clubs. I don't know if I could get used to hitting a wedge that is a 7i length. I guess that is what a demo day is for.

They might fly lower because loss of club head speed.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Rick shields did a review on the forged ones and pointed out what I think might end up being an issue for a lot of people which is the longer irons won't fly high enough to hold any greens

We didn't see that today.

In fact our Pro said the 5 iron flew too high for him. But it was a KBS 120g shaft and he usually plays a X100 I believe.

For me it flew just a touch lower than I would like. But I am on the other end of the spectrum. I usually play a KBS Tour 90 or recoil 680

As for gapping the rep said the only issue they have noticed is the PW will go about 2 to 3.yards further than the normal PW gap (according to robot and tour level testing). They haven't had them in enough amateur level player hands yet to get numbers. Bit expects that small of difference to be even smaller in our hands and of less consequence.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm also in the excited to demo them boat. Watched the Rick Shiels video on them where he did the gapping test. Seemed like his 4-5-6 irons didn't have the gaps he was looking for, but since my longest iron is 6 that shouldn't be as much of a problem.

I feel like there would be quite an adjustment period but if you can still with them long enough to get through it then the theory is sound.

rick shiels review is worth a watch if you are considering these. I like his idea of 3 mini one length sets, i.e. Wedge length for W-9, 7i length for 8-6i, and 5i length for the long irons to fix the gapping issues.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my limited trial of them today, they are. I want to hit it with a shaft suited for me though. There is a club fitter not far from where I live that has a fitting cart for them or will have when they are released I should say.

I would only bag say 5 - 9 iron and use my regular wedges.  Any idea how much these puppies will be going for?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I would only bag say 5 - 9 iron and use my regular wedges.  Any idea how much these puppies will be going for?

The F7 One will be $699 steel and $799 graphite standard set is 5-GW

The One Forged $999 steel standard set is 4-PW

I had thought the same setup as well OG, especially since I love my SM6 wedges.  But I would probably still order the 5-GW just to try and keep all the potential full shot swings the same, then just use my 54 and 58 for around the green as I usually do.    If I felt the longer GW became too cumbersome, I could always put the 50 SM6 back in the bag.

The F7 One will be $699 steel and $799 graphite standard set is 5-GW

The One Forged $999 steel standard set is 4-PW

I had thought the same setup as well OG, especially since I love my SM6 wedges.  But I would probably still order the 5-GW just to try and keep all the potential full shot swings the same, then just use my 54 and 58 for around the green as I usually do.    If I felt the longer GW became too cumbersome, I could always put the 50 SM6 back in the bag.

Ok that's (F7) about standard pricing these days so it's not going to run off the serious contenders for these new sticks.  The forged ones are pricey and I would definitely have to put in some serious demo time with them before I could lay down a grand.

Cleveland

Ok that's (F7) about standard pricing these days so it's not going to run off the serious contenders for these new sticks.  The forged ones are pricey and I would definitely have to put in some serious demo time with them before I could lay down a grand.

Yep the F7 are right there with most of the iron pricing.    But I think the pricing on the One Forged is much better by at least $100 to $200 than the premium pricing we've seen for some other sets, such as the new Callaway release, remember how hot and defensive that discussion got...ha.

• 1 month later...

Ok today I had a chance to hit the new Cobra F7 single length irons today.  Not what I was hoping for and not my cup of tea at all. .  The distances were shorter than my current irons with way too much right to left movement. To be fair,,,,, this was inside at DGS and things could have been better on an outdoor range however,,, I didn't get that ahhhhh hahhhh feel from em.

Cleveland

Ok today I had a chance to hit the new Cobra F7 single length irons today.  Not what I was hoping for and not my cup of tea at all. .  The distances were shorter than my current irons with way too much right to left movement. To be fair,,,,, this was inside at DGS and things could have been better on an outdoor range however,,, I didn't get that ahhhhh hahhhh feel from em.

OG. I wasn't a fan of the F7 One Length. But then I tried the One Forged, and the rep had to almost pry them back out of my hand, so he could leave, they were that fun to hit.

It was such a stark difference. I was hitting the One forged further and more accurately. It could have been a matter of shaft pairings. But I was very surprised at the lack of performance on the F7 One, considering how great the F6 is.

I think Edel/Paderson may have an edge on cobra when it comes to this. We'll see soon.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

OG. I wasn't a fan of the F7 One Length. But then I tried the One Forged, and the rep had to almost pry them back out of my hand, so he could leave, they were that fun to hit.

It was such a stark difference. I was hitting the One forged further and more accurately. It could have been a matter of shaft pairings. But I was very surprised at the lack of performance on the F7 One, considering how great the F6 is.

That's good to know. My local Dick's only had the F7 demos available and they just didn't ring my bell. I'd say for those interested try em as they might be a great fit for you.

Cleveland

As a pretty big Edel Golf fan (11 of 14 clubs in my bag are Edel), it irks me that (from an outsider looking in) Cobra swooped in, paid DeChambeau a fortune and stole the conversation on one length irons haphazardly in just a few months, while Edel has been developing these for years. I don't know if any of that is actually true, but from a consumer standpoint that's how it looks. Maybe the silver lining will be that the Cobra's don't have the tech advantage of the Edel's.

I do remember a conversation when Bryson first hit the scene with his one length clubs (which at the time his woods were all one length, albeit a few inches longer), about serious swing speed being needed to create gaps in the long irons. I don't think that issue can be overcome by using a 7 iron shaft in all 7 clubs.

Regardless, I'm so excited to try one length irons. As someone whose iron play and greens in regulation has always held them back (avg 40% in college, fairways in regulation averaged 75%), I'm really hoping that it will change my game entirely. I have seen some positives in my current set of tour v, though.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Archived