Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What sort of golf betting games do you play on the course?

Moecat

I am much better than my dad at golf, but we love to play together and would like it to be competitive. He doesn't keep a handicap and doesn't really want strokes, so he suggested that we play straight up with him getting 3 "borrows" per round. A "borrow" (you can call it whatever you want) works like this: I hit my drive and it's 250 down the middle. He hits his drive 175. He can use his borrow and put his ball next to mine. This also works on approach shots (ex: I hit the green, he misses, he can put his ball next to mine on the green), chips, or putts. There's one major restriction: if he hits his drive into the trees and I hit mine into the fairway, he cannot borrow my approach shot. He can borrow my tee shot and play his approach from the same spot in the fairway, but he can't go from being in jail in the trees on to the green.

We're going to give this a run in 3 weeks in Myrtle Beach. I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I haven't done it in a long time, but I was always a big fan of playing 'wolf.'

For those who have never played it, you play with a foursome.

You tee off in an order. The first person to tee off then gets to choose who is partner is AFTER they hit their tee shot, but BEFORE the next person hits.

So let's say Player A hits. Then Player B hits a drive. Player A basically has to figure out if that drive is good enough for Player B to be his partner and he has to decide BEFORE Player C hits. Player A also does not have to choose a partner.

But, if player A chooses Player C, then it's a best ball match for that particular hole against players B and D. If Player A doesn't choose a partner, then it's Player A vs. Player B, C and D. The reward of going 'lone wolf' is you can collect more points.

Then on the next hole, the order would go player's B, C, D and A. Then the following hole it goes C, D, A and B.

I think it provides an interesting dynamic and when the carryovers happen, nothing is funnier than the silence of when a player goes 'lone wolf.'

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

• SPY VIP

Thought you might like this link...(127 Ways To Bet On Golf):

http://www.mygolfspy.com/golf-wolf-game-bets/

Please be as detailed as possible - objective, rules, etc. - for the sake of those of us who aren't so familiar with these games. Thanks! B)

#TruthDigest

We play a points game along with either skins or 1st ball, 2nd ball. Everyone knows what skins are, so I will not explain that. Points are for an established amount. (.25, 1.00, 100 ect.) Points are won for Closest to the hole on par 3s and 5s, Putts made longer than the length of a flagstick, approach shots that hit the GIR closer than the length of a flagsick... basically anything you can think up. first ball second ball is a partners game. It is played like a match, but both partners shots are used to make a score for a hole, and if there is a difference between the teams, the losing teams pays the winning team the difference in whatever units were decided. Example.. Player A makes a 4, his partner makes a 5. their team score is 45. Player C makes a 5, his Partner makes a 7. their score is 57. Team 2 owes team 1 57-45 or 13 units. It can get expensive if you are playing for one dollar units.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

There's a group of 16-20 guys that I play with twice a week. We usually play 4 man teams. We put in $11 a person. Then we take 80% of the handicap and usually play 1 best ball (w/handicap).

We then give out money for:

1. Low team

2. Low net player

3. Greenies (on par 3's)

4. Skins

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

• 1 year later...

We play a points game along with either skins or 1st ball, 2nd ball. Everyone knows what skins are, so I will not explain that. Points are for an established amount. (.25, 1.00, 100 ect.) Points are won for Closest to the hole on par 3s and 5s, Putts made longer than the length of a flagstick, approach shots that hit the GIR closer than the length of a flagsick... basically anything you can think up. first ball second ball is a partners game. It is played like a match, but both partners shots are used to make a score for a hole, and if there is a difference between the teams, the losing teams pays the winning team the difference in whatever units were decided. Example.. Player A makes a 4, his partner makes a 5. their team score is 45. Player C makes a 5, his Partner makes a 7. their score is 57. Team 2 owes team 1 57-45 or 13 units. It can get expensive if you are playing for one dollar units.

We play a similar game here in Malaysia. For some reason its called Vegas, I suppose because you can win or lose big! Let's say for example that those scores were on a par 4. The difference is instead of 45 v 57, the team with the highest score has to flip their score to 75 due to neither of the losing team members making a par. So suddenly the difference is 32 units! The guy in team B that has the par putt to avoid the 75 score would have scored 47 with a par so you can imagine the 'pressure' on him to save par.

Another twist is if a team makes a birdie, lets use the same par 4 and same players as above, but team A score 35 due to the frst player holing his putt for birdie. Team B still make 75 due to being over par, but wait for it.... Birdie = double the difference! Ouch! 64 units whammy.

It sounds very expensive but on the occasions Ive played it somehow its always managed to end up pretty square.

"The more I practice the luckier I get" - Gary Player

R1, Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S flex
RBZ, 14.5, Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S flex
R11 17 & 22 Rescues, Motore F3 S flex
Rocketbladez Tour irons, 5 - PW,
ATV 50,54,Tour preferred 58 wedges
Daddy Long Legs 33-35"
Tour Preferred X

When the old gang from the golf shop played we played Wolf a lot which Richie has already explained. Back when the economy was good we put together golf junkets from some friends in the Charlotte area and we really had some big calcuttas. I have one friend I play with and we play a $5 Nassau and we also play a $5 match play on the same round with a 2 down automatic press. If the course is crowded we will also have little $1 side bets like chipping into a cup on the tee or betting on what player in the group behind us will hit the green on the par 3s. with him you can have a bad day and loose a good little chunk or change but it is still fun. Sometimes it will take us an hour to figgure the side bets etc after a round and the score card looks like a bunch of chickens have been scratching.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I play skins mostly, with the value determined by who I'm playing with (one of my friends refuses to play for more than .50 a hole). There is a "rich mans" skins game that goes on at the local country club here once a month and it's a $1800 buy in ($100/hole); it's a 2 man best ball and you can't have lower than a 3 handicap to play. I have a friend thats a successful businessman that pays for me to play in it and if we do well, we usually split 50/50 after he takes his $3600 back, so it works out awesome for me.

When I play with my dad, I give him 15 strokes a side. At the halfway point the loser buys the snacks and at the end,the loser has to pay for the next round. I've only had to buy the golf one time, when my dad shot his career best 96 (he's usually between 105-115)

Archived