Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How many rounds for the same ball?

StrokerAce

Okay guys... I've gotten better in the last few years and don't seem to "donate" my balls to the trees and ponds as much any more.

That being said - a couple questions..

- how many rounds (18 holes) would you use the same ball?  assuming it's not scuffed or damaged in any way

- how do you separate balls that you've used for a round and those you haven't and the number of rounds you've played with a specific ball?  Add dots, move them around to various pockets in your bag?  

- lastly... for arguments sake let's say you play 20-30 rounds per year - how many balls do you buy?

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Question 1- as long as the ball is not scuffed I play it as long as possible.

Question 2- I do not separate usually, they all are in the same pocket in my bag u less I bring an extra sleeve I will keep that in another pocket of the bag. As per marking I usually have the same mark on all balls unless I'm in a tournament.

Question 3- I play more than 30 rounds a year I am more than double that, I have been playing the Snell tour ball for over a year and normally buy 5 doz at a time and they last a long time for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Question 1- as long as the ball is not scuffed I play it as long as possible.

Question 2- I do not separate usually, they all are in the same pocket in my bag u less I bring an extra sleeve I will keep that in another pocket of the bag. As per marking I usually have the same mark on all balls unless I'm in a tournament.

Question 3- I play more than 30 rounds a year I am more than double that, I have been playing the Snell tour ball for over a year and normally buy 5 doz at a time and they last a long time for me.

Ditto, but buy 6 dozen MTB at a time. It's a better price per dozen.

My birthday is in April so between birthday and Father's Day I don't have to buy balls for the season. I play 70-80 rounds a year.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

1. As long as it still performs like it's new brothers.

2. I usually keep the balls in the pocket with my ball mark repair tool, if it survives the round.

3. Last year I played close to 200 rounds last year.

So I buy a lot early and give many away throughout the year. I picked up 6 dozen, Callaway speed regime 3 for 19.99 a dozen last year and finally got rid of them all. Test every ball you can!

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

1.  I will play it for as many rounds as I am able to unless I'm in a tournament.  If I'm playing in a tournament I will start out with a fresh sleeve of balls.  If for some reason I have to dig deeper than that it's really not going to matter.

2.  I don't mark it in any way to indicate how long I've used it. 

3.  I play between 60-75 rounds a season.  I'm right at about 3 dozen balls at that number (more than that, around 4 dozen for my year at Bayou because the course was that much tougher and if I wasn't focused on a second shot in a round by myself or with buddies there was a real tendency to loose balls.)  I have gone two months without loosing a ball in recent memory but I take them out of play when they get scuffed up.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Lol this isn't even a question for me...I played college golf and can count on one hand how many rounds I would've even be able to play with one ball lol. With that said, I'm not of the Ernie Els mentality that a ball only has one birdie in it, I will play until it dies

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, Cally XR16 Driver, G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I E1 irons, Vokey SM5 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I wouldn't know, don't think I ever made it thru 1 round on a single ball....lol

For me it more like...how many balls per round?   Usually 2 or 3 anyway, sometimes more.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

Got three rounds out of an MTB this past week.....real like their durability.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

With me it can vary-- I know one Treo Soft I beat to death last year-- I played 36 with it on my home course with my regular gang and then played 36 holes of vintage golf (Persimmons and 1962 Mac irons) with my wife on a course we liked that was due to close. I actually beat the sheen off of that ball and the lettering was barely readable after 72 holes. But it did not affect the performance in any way I could tell. I usually get 18 holes out of a ball unless I do something stupid like a steroid jerk to the left into a hazard. Usually I play them until I lose them or beat them up. After that if I still have one they go into my shag bag. I hit balls into my net or go to a soccer field with the short irons. When they really get beat up I hit them down our range with the persimmon woods. I never ever hit regular range balls with my persimmons. Actually I have a Srixon Q Star I found that I have around 72 holes on. I found that ball and it looked brand new hit only one time-- Has a logo on it Golf Channel AM Tour

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 ball per round.  As a ritual I hit it in to the lake when I get home.  An offering to Neptune if you will.  

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I play one ball per round. If I complete the round with it, it goes back in the bag. If I should lose my new ball for a round, I grab one of the experienced balls to finish out the round.

3 dozen balls is a good number to start the year. You can always try a new ball when you run out.

What's in my bag...

Driver:      TaylorMade R15 10.5• Aldila Rouge Black 60g stiff shaft

3 Wood:   TaylorMade R15 15• Aldila Rouge Black 70g stiff shaft

Hybrid:     TaylorMade  Rescue 4-21• Aldila Rip 65g stiff shaft

Irons:        TaylorMade  RSi TP Nippon NS Pro 950, stiff shaft

Wedges:   TaylorMade  50•, 54•, 58• Nippon NS Pro stiff shaft

Putter:      TaylorMade Ghost 

Ball:          Wilson DUO U

Bag:         TaylorMade 

I get 2 or 3 rounds out of a ball. When I played the 3 up ball it looks used up after 1 round.  

I buy 5 dozen balls for the year.  Most of the losses happen when  playing a few balls at a time when no one is on the course.

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

I lose my ball before it's too damaged to keep using... so I don't have this problem :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Still haven't lost a ball since leaving Bayou. 5 rounds and counting. I've taken 2 balls out of play because they hit cart paths. So I've uses 3 balls in those 5 rounds. 78, 76, 78, 73, 73

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Still haven't lost a ball since leaving Bayou. 5 rounds and counting. I've taken 2 balls out of play because they hit cart paths. So I've uses 3 balls in those 5 rounds. 78, 76, 78, 73, 73

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Geez Rev... at that rate a dozen balls will last you a full year.  Way to go!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I generally need 3 dozen balls for a season of about 60 rounds.  I will normally have a number of those balls left at year's end it's just that they are damaged so I've taken them out of play.  I'll replace some in my shag bag, give some to my boys or even my middle school kids.

Hey you have to be extra good at something when you're handicap is between 3-5 and you average 220 off the tee.  I'm extra good at accuracy off the tee, consistency and short game.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I've played with a ball 15-18 holes before I lose it.

I usually replace them after a scuff or so, but it's rare in the desert not to lose a ball quickly if you are even slightly off.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

It depends on the ball and how much luck is in it.  

I can play 3-4 rounds with one ball, and if it makes it that far I will take it out of play and put it into my practice bag.  However, some brand new balls are only good for one hit before they are lost.  I wish the OEMs would put a mark on those balls.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I will play a ball until it is scuffed and then(when I clean my bag out) it goes in the ball bucket in my garage to give to a buddy of mine who hits balls out into a pasture.  I may play a ball 3 or 4 rounds.  I don't lose a lot of golf balls.  I do however find a bunch of balls...many practically new.  I play new balls in tournaments but otherwise, I pull something out of the bag that is not scuffed and tee it up.  I play between 120 and 150 rounds a year. If I were to buy 5 dozen balls at one time, they would last me over a year.

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League

As long as a ball isn't scuffed or has any cracks, I will play it. Now if I'm playing in a tournament or an outing, I'll have fresh ProV1's or Tour Preferred's to use for wedge shots and putting.

I have 2 pockets for balls on my bag. 1 pocket is the balls that are in nice enough shape to use, and higher quality balls and the 2nd pocket is balls that are scuffed or top flights etc. that I find while playing.

I usually buy a few dozen Project (a)'s when the season starts. 

Driver - TaylorMade RBZ Stage 1 - 9.5* - Stiff Shaft

3wood - TaylorMade SLDR            - 15*  - Stiff Shaft

Hybrid - Ben Hogan Golf VKTR     - 20*  - Stiff Shaft

- Ben Hogan Golf VKTR     - 24*  - Stiff Shaft

Irons - Ben Hogan Apex Plus - 5-PW - Rifle 5.0 Shaft

Wedges - Cleveland 588 RTX - 52* 56* 60* - Tru-Temper Dynamic Gold Shaft

Putter -Ben Hogan by Bettinardi BHB1-C

Balls -TaylorMade Project (a)

Shoes - Adidas Tour360 Boost - All Black

Archived