TESTERS WANTED! ×

Creating a hitting bay in my garage

Hello all, looking for some ideas/ feedback in setting up a hitting bay in my garage, I have approximately 10feet in hight and have been talking about designing and setting up a hitting bay in my garage for years, don't know what to buy and where to start, want to make it nice and not just a net, perhaps something integrated into the garage door? Anyone have one in your home? If so can you snap a picture and post? Thanks I. Advance for the assistance!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I don't. But I've seen a few posts around here the past few years. Search around some and see if you can find them. Good luck.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've got one in mine. I kept it simple. Bought just a net for like $70, hitting mat another $70, and a 2x4 that I laid across the garage door tracks and used a nylon rope to tie the net up.

Or there are kits you can buy that are a little more fancy and do the same thing lol.

Good luck.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I've got one in mine. I kept it simple. Bought just a net for like $70, hitting mat another $70, and a 2x4 that I laid across the garage door tracks and used a nylon rope to tie the net up.

Or there are kits you can buy that are a little more fancy and do the same thing lol.

Good luck.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Thanks Bigtazz!

I used a friends last year.  He bought the "return net" . Every shot that hits the net gets funneled back to the hitting station . The net is built to hang that way.  He said he would not hit his 60 wedge into it anymore as he has hit the ceiling.   Some people build a box of nets to hit into.  I liked my friends return net system, you only need 1 ball. 

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

The bigger question is do you just want a net & mat to hit balls or do you want a simulator type of setup to see where they are going?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I used a friends last year. He bought the "return net" . Every shot that hits the net gets funneled back to the hitting station . The net is built to hang that way. He said he would not hit his 60 wedge into it anymore as he has hit the ceiling. Some people build a box of nets to hit into. I liked my friends return net system, you only need 1 ball.

Dana thanks! That sounds interesting, I will look into this for sure.

The bigger question is do you just want a net & mat to hit balls or do you want a simulator type of setup to see where they are going?

I wish I had the room to do a sim but unfortunately it will be just net and mat situation

Peter, I can make one suggestion. You'll want a high quality mat. I recommend (highly) the Real Feel mats. They're not cheap but they are IMHO the best on the market. They're heavy duty and thick. Probably about 1.5". The best part about them is when hitting irons you can hit down and through your shot without the bouncing and shock effect of thin/cheaper mats. Additionally, there are places on each side where you can insert from underneath a rubber tee holder (supplied). Even though yours will be indoors mine has been outside continuously (in all conditions) for over 2 years without any sign of wear or weather related deterioration. I rotate my mat periodically so I'm not always hitting from the same spot. Good luck with your setup.

realfeelgolfmats.com

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Peter, I can make one suggestion. You'll want a high quality mat. I recommend (highly) the Real Feel mats. They're not cheap but they are IMHO the best on the market. They're heavy duty and thick. Probably about 1.5". The best part about them is when hitting irons you can hit down and through your shot without the bouncing and shock effect of thin/cheaper mats. Additionally, there are places on each side where you can insert from underneath a rubber tee holder (supplied). Even though yours will be indoors mine has been outside continuously (in all conditions) for over 2 years without any sign of wear or weather related deterioration. I rotate my mat periodically so I'm not always hitting from the same spot. Good luck with your setup.

realfeelgolfmats.com

Thanks ! To be honest I didn't even think about the mat, just on their website, they have as lot of sizes to choose from, appreciate the tip Plaid!

Definitely +1 for getting a good mat.

I've set up a net in my shed. My brother in law is a commercial fisherman, so I managed to get some off cut netting from him.  I installed a pair of brackets on hinges to position the net about 15" from the wall. The net is on a curtain rail, and I put it up when I want to use it.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Here's some pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I did the net very much on the cheap, curtain rails were lying around, so I just taped a couple together to get the length needed. I bought the mat from our club pro who had an excess one! It's a really solid piece of gear.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• 1 month later...

What have you guys found is needed for ceiling height? I would love to set one up in my garage as but my ceiling might be too low...

Whats in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815

3-Wood: Callaway Razr Fit

Hybrid: Adams Pro, 18 Degree

4-PW: Ping S56

SW: Cleveland CG10 (Need a set of wedges BAD!!!)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #6

Twitter: @rlshea

Mid-Minnesota Golf Club

For simulator how do you feel about the Opti-Shot? Seems easy to hook up with just a laptop and projector if you want. Does it provide good feedback? Or just a tool to use to keep the rust off in the winter months?

I've posted this before but this is mine: 2013-01-26_18-17-40_334_zpsa47f6987.jpg

2013-01-26_18-26-41_562_zps647d9a99.jpg

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

For simulator how do you feel about the Opti-Shot? Seems easy to hook up with just a laptop and projector if you want. Does it provide good feedback? Or just a tool to use to keep the rust off in the winter months?

From everything I've read, it's just a tool to keep the rust off and have some fun...doesn't stop me from getting one though.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

What have you guys found is needed for ceiling height? I would love to set one up in my garage as but my ceiling might be too low...

8 feet if you swing under control.

At least 9 ft if your gonna grip n rip it!

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Next goal in life is to get a big enough place to put one in. As is, my putting green is behind my couch flat against the wall. I don't exactly have enough room for it to fit anywhere and got to be a pain clearing space for it. Next place I get I hope to afford a dedicated second bedroom for golf. Being single has it's advantages when you can make a room for golf. 

Only question I have is mats, Plaid you suggested one brand, has anyone tried anything else? I have the birdie ball green which is solid, and was thinking about getting the fairway/rough one they offer if I do get a bigger place.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

My mat is the All Turf. Great mat that you can put a tee in and hit down on. http://www.allturfmats.com/category-s/678.htm

In the bag:

Bag: 

Being tall with long arms has its disadvantages

You mean its one of the few advantages of being Ben Hogan sized...

Whats in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815

3-Wood: Callaway Razr Fit

Hybrid: Adams Pro, 18 Degree

4-PW: Ping S56

SW: Cleveland CG10 (Need a set of wedges BAD!!!)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #6

Twitter: @rlshea

Mid-Minnesota Golf Club

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Look at the first post at the top of this page. Mine isn't retractable, but I can "roll" it up and tuck it out of the way.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Ive been looking for good setup too.

Real Feel seems to get the nod while Martin Hall of Golf Channel has his own thing going as well. The price for a 'full' net/matt set up isnt too bad while Hall is rather the promoter of many things and ideals that seem rather worthless.

http://www.dwquailgolf.com/Golf-Mat-Golf-Net-Kits/Dura-Pro-Commercial-Golf-Mat-Target-Net-Kit.html

I myself am looking for one with lines or a set up cross on it. You see the youtubers like Shiels and Crossfield use them in england and to have them on the matt rather than having to put down sticks (a must) would be nice too. Of course a guy could spray paint his own which might be the case...

Alot of nice set ups on display!

Thanks Guys.

This post came up at the right time! I just mentioned doing this in my garage for this winter! Think I can save some $$$ from going to the simulator. The indoor range is only open from 11-2 Monday-Friday so that's out of question.

Saw the net at Meijer last night, and my wife actually seemed to think it was a decent idea

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I went with a Rukket Haack net to put in the garage, so that I could take it up and down relatively quickly. Until simulators come WAY down in price, those are a long way away for me.  I'm curious how the Mevo will perform at the $500 price point.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

Archived