Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Time to change irons

As the title says I've decided that I want to change out my irons for something with more distance and forgiveness, but still keeps a similar level of feel. My current iron configuration is as follows:

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC

4-pw

KBS Tour c-taper 120 gram stiff

Standard length and lie

I like the feel and look of these irons, but I want some more distance and forgiveness out of them. My swing speed is around 86 mph, but that's only my 3/4 swing. I only do partial swing because my full out 102 mph swing is a bit out of control. Ideally I want to find a similar feeling iron set, but with more distance to them. I'm ok giving up some of the compact bladed look of my current irons , but nothing too big and chunky.

I do also have my previous set of irons which were TaylorMade Rocketbladez, but they only have regular TaylorMade shafts in them and they spin up way too much. So maybe I could put in C-tapers into them and see how those do.

Any thoughts?

Take a look at the Cally Apex lineup.  Last years and the current model are both great and you can find last years for a better deal.  I'd also look at TMaG RSi series (1 and 2).  Personally I really like my Speedblades, very underrated iron and can be had for very cheap now.

All that said I just got test set of the Hogan PTx irons and those might also be an option, depending on how soon you want to buy you should keep an eye out for that review thread.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

You could try and find a set of the tp CBs as well. Those should offer more forgiveness but not be overly chunky.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Also add in the JPX line from Mizuno

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The stronger players that I play with rave about the Apexs and they look great. Also would throw in whatever the current Wilson F series cavity back is. Barbajo games them and they are sweet looking clubs.

Why more distance though? I get why a guy like me might need that but you're a younger guy. Is there some sort of gapping issue that you are encountering?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As the title says I've decided that I want to change out my irons for something with more distance and forgiveness, but still keeps a similar level of feel. My current iron configuration is as follows:

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC

4-pw

KBS Tour c-taper 120 gram stiff

Standard length and lie

I like the feel and look of these irons, but I want some more distance and forgiveness out of them. My swing speed is around 86 mph, but that's only my 3/4 swing. I only do partial swing because my full out 102 mph swing is a bit out of control. Ideally I want to find a similar feeling iron set, but with more distance to them. I'm ok giving up some of the compact bladed look of my current irons , but nothing too big and chunky.

I do also have my previous set of irons which were TaylorMade Rocketbladez, but they only have regular TaylorMade shafts in them and they spin up way too much. So maybe I could put in C-tapers into them and see how those do.

Any thoughts?

A logical progression would be to look at the Tour Preferred CB's in the same product lineage. They have a realistically noticeable increase in forgiveness than the MC's, without too much of a difference in physical appearance. I tried out a set recently and would be happy to play with them - and I'm a die hard blade fan.

The stronger players that I play with rave about the Apexs and they look great. Also would throw in whatever the current Wilson F series cavity back is. Barbajo games them and they are sweet looking clubs.

Why more distance though? I get why a guy like me might need that but you're a younger guy. Is there some sort of gapping issue that you are encountering?

I have a bit to much of a gap from my 7-4 the yardages just arent what I want them to be. Plus who doesn't want a few extra yards ;)

... Me! I don't want more distance with my irons because that means a yardage gap someplace. I have always felt golfers should play the most forgiving irons they can play effectively.

... Love my Fly Z+ irons but put a set of Cleveland 588 TT's in my bag this season and no doubt the long irons are more forgiving. Still play the Z+ in windy conditions and am playing around with a mixed set of Z+ pw-8 and 7-5 TT's. I have Recoil 95's in the Z+ and 110's in the TT's so I would make them all 95's if I decide on a mixed bag. All GI irons I have tried in the past launch the ball too high with too much spin, but the TT's have a stronger trajectory and I can control the flight so I am happy with the playability/forgiveness combo.

... Picking the right iron should always be about forgiveness first, playability second.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

So I had some time off today and meet down to my local Golfsmith and hit some irons. I always swing slower at Golfsmith than I do out on the course for some reason so I often ignore the numbers and base my decision on feel. I came away with a few different irons that I want some opinions on. I am deciding between the TaylorMade RSI 2, Callaway XR Pro, Mizuno Jpx 850 forged, Callaway Apex CF16, and the Nike Vapor Fly Pro. Any thoughts on these irons?

Take a look at the Cally Apex lineup.  Last years and the current model are both great and you can find last years for a better deal.  I'd also look at TMaG RSi series (1 and 2).  Personally I really like my Speedblades, very underrated iron and can be had for very cheap now.

All that said I just got test set of the Hogan PTx irons and those might also be an option, depending on how soon you want to buy you should keep an eye out for that review thread.

2nd the recommendation on the Apex.  Pretty forgiving and very long.  If you don't like the offset go with the Pros.  If you want a bit more forgiveness the regular Apex are great as well.  Haven't hit the 16 version but I have the 14 version and they are excellent.  

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Big fan of the Apex CF16. So are a couple of other guys I play with.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Big fan of the Apex CF16. So are a couple of other guys I play with.

I think I've rules out the Apex CF16 as they are way too pricy for me even with my staff discount. All the other irons are still in play for me though since they are much more reasonable. With me starring my upper level business classes I don't have the time to hit the gym or go to the driving range as much as I want so I want something with a bit of distance and more forgiveness.

Also add in the JPX line from Mizuno

Agreed. Recently steered gaming the JPX 850 Forged with C Taper Lites...love 'em.

I'd like to add.... and no... This isn't a put-down in any way. But, I've seen so many guys with high handicaps playing clubs so ill suited to their ability. Nothing sexier than a shiny set of blades. Nothing worse too if you can't center a dime in the club face.  If I were you i'd get fit for a set. Even if they are used. Yes, you can shop the used iron rack at your local retailer and find many different clubs. I see them there all the time. If they have a competent fitter he could probably get you into a decent shaft. Granted this isn't ideal but it's an option to keep your expense lower. If you'd rather go all in.... then schedule a full iron fitting and buy new. Good luck.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I think I've rules out the Apex CF16 as they are way too pricy for me even with my staff discount. All the other irons are still in play for me though since they are much more reasonable. With me starring my upper level business classes I don't have the time to hit the gym or go to the driving range as much as I want so I want something with a bit of distance and more forgiveness.

The XR pro irons are very similar to the cf16's they are cast and not forged, but play very well, and the cost is much less, and I think the price has dropped on them as well.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I'd like to add.... and no... This isn't a put-down in any way. But, I've seen so many guys with high handicaps playing clubs so ill suited to their ability. Nothing sexier than a shiny set of blades. Nothing worse too if you can't center a dime in the club face. If I were you i'd get fit for a set. Even if they are used. Yes, you can shop the used iron rack at your local retailer and find many different clubs. I see them there all the time. If they have a competent fitter he could probably get you into a decent shaft. Granted this isn't ideal but it's an option to keep your expense lower. If you'd rather go all in.... then schedule a full iron fitting and buy new. Good luck.

My ball striking is actually my strong suit. I play a type of blade now so I'm actually getting irons that don't quite fit my skill set . Actually a bit below my ability haha

The XR pro irons are very similar to the cf16's they are cast and not forged, but play very well, and the cost is much less, and I think the price has dropped on them as well.

I'm actually looking at a set of these among a few other sets.

Don't sleep on the new F6 irons from Cobra. So simple stupid to hit.

I tried them out during demo days and was actually disappointed.

I'm following this thread, because I too, am looking for new irons.

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Srixon 545 irons are tough to beat.

I bounce between a 5 and 7 handicap and I game the "game improvement" 545s because they give me the forgiveness I want in a package that is cleaner than a lot of "players" clubs.

Hardly any offset with them, as well.

I think the 545's are one of the most balanced irons made in the past few years where you could see anywhere from scratch golfers to 20 handicap golfers gaming them.

I bounce between a 5 and 7 handicap and I game the "game improvement" 545s because they give me the forgiveness I want in a package that is cleaner than a lot of "players" clubs.

Hardly any offset with them, as well.

I think the 545's are one of the most balanced irons made in the past few years where you could see anywhere from scratch golfers to 20 handicap golfers gaming them.

Couldn't agree more with this.  I've been to a few demo days this year and hit Cobra, Nike, Titleist, Ping, Callaway, Mizuno.

If I didn't have the Callaway Apex in my bag these would be in there.

They are just as good and not nearly as expensive.  (I'm between a 10-13 hcp)

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Mizuno Jpx 850 forged..... From your list..... 

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I tried them out during demo days and was actually disappointed.

I'm following this thread, because I too, am looking for new irons.

That's the same thing I thought when I hit them. Very disappointing

Interesting. I have gained at least a club distances wise with them. Kicked the J15 irons out of the bag.

If the Apex are out due to pricing, I would go for the JPX 850 Forged.

I use the CF16 myself and they are schweeet!!!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

If the Apex are out due to pricing, I would go for the JPX 850 Forged.

I use the CF16 myself and they are schweeet!!!

Callawaypreowned.com has always been good to me... And you know they've been inspected closely by Callaway!

I got my Apex's for 400.

Sent from my LG-D851 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I will have to agree with the consensus to look at the Apex line or JPX line for something comparable.

I have hit the XR pros and have to say they really smash the ball but they do lack in the feel department in comparison to the others listed.  

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

... I play to a +.4 and if I were buying new irons the 545's would be at the very top of my list. I am really looking forward to the 645's and can see them in my bag sometime in the future. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Going out on a limb here with the Nike rec. but I play the VR_S Forged irons. They maintain some of the feel of a forged iron but are still EXTREMELY long for me. They are older than the apex irons but you can get them new for half the price.

The main pros are forgiveness and playability that few other mid-handicap sets lack.

CONS: slight stinging sensation on bad miss-hits. Availability.

I'm not sure about their availability anymore. I figure you want to buy new, used sets hover right around $299.00 on eBay.

I think these irons are a hidden gem and perfect for what you are looking for. But then again I play them so I am biased, in any case maybe some to consider. Hope you find what your looking for!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got 2016 jpx ez forged from mgs hit the range today amazing and I play bio cell + irons and I could turn ball better and great forgiveness for off hits will put full review in a few weeks after I play more but wow mizuno did great with there 2016 line up

Archived