TESTERS WANTED! ×

Time to change irons

I'm also in the market for a "new" set of irons. I'm gonna go the eBay route but I've narrowed it down to srixon 545s cobra flyz+ and mizuno mp54. I've not hit the flyzs. Anyone have any input or the cobras or 54s? The 545s are the clear front runner right now.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

If you are a 5 to 20 Hcap, and want new irons, may I suggest the cobra F6 irons.  Not only are they affordable ($799) but they can help you work the ball.

Please see the Forum Member Review....

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/15995-official-forum-member-review-cobra-king-f6-irons/

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Just today I was fitted for Ping G30's .... I had it down to Srixon and Ping .... Surprisingly it wasn't even close per the fitter.

I do recommend a fitting. This was my first time, I was nervous, but I can't argue with results, I was hitting 7 iron 165. My current clubs that's my 6. Very excited to gain yardage

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Just today I was fitted for Ping G30's .... I had it down to Srixon and Ping .... Surprisingly it wasn't even close per the fitter.

I do recommend a fitting. This was my first time, I was nervous, but I can't argue with results, I was hitting 7 iron 165. My current clubs that's my 6. Very excited to gain yardage

Pings are great! I like the clean look of the Srixons but those Pings are a bit more forgiving and can't beat their durability.

The only thing I always keep in mind with trying irons is the lofts of the irons - when I went from RSI2 to MP25 I was just happy to see similar distances due to better fitting shaft since the MP lofts are an easy club or so weaker.

Update: they came in yesterday !!!! Sorry, still cheesing!!!!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I actually recently went old-school with my irons. The course I play most often is a windy track. Very windy. It can be calm in the parking lot, but there will be a 2-club wind out on the course. So I went a little old-school hoping to actually lower flight a little bit and give me some versatility and trajectory control, as well as a slightly lower trajectory anyway. I bought an old used set of Golfsmith Tour Cavities, dipped them in acid so they turned black, custom paint-filled them, then put my Axe TourX graphites in them and went to work. Pretty happy with the results. Are they the most forgiving? No, but that's not what I was after. But...they are forgiving enough. A pretty forgiving head with some trajectory control available. And they look sharp dressed in black...

Srixon!!!! The WHOLE line. I promise, you won't be disappointed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Just got back from the fitting with a new set of iron's and 3 wood. Got fitted for the Nike Vapor Fly Pro irons in x stiff KBS tour C-tapers. They slightly out performed the Mizuno jpx 850 forged. I played a bit hard to get at the end and got them to throw in a Nike Vapor Fly 3 wood thrown in at no extra cost! Really happy with my fitting and the clubs that I got.

I actually recently went old-school with my irons. The course I play most often is a windy track. Very windy. It can be calm in the parking lot, but there will be a 2-club wind out on the course. So I went a little old-school hoping to actually lower flight a little bit and give me some versatility and trajectory control, as well as a slightly lower trajectory anyway. I bought an old used set of Golfsmith Tour Cavities, dipped them in acid so they turned black, custom paint-filled them, then put my Axe TourX graphites in them and went to work. Pretty happy with the results. Are they the most forgiving? No, but that's not what I was after. But...they are forgiving enough. A pretty forgiving head with some trajectory control available. And they look sharp dressed in black...

You need to post pics of them because that sounds neat as heck. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

The finish does fade a bit, and mine are due for a re-finish after a full season's play. I may get a bottle of the sealant and try it on them to see if it helps protect the finish any better when I do decide to do the refinish. The only thing I'll do different is this time I won't pull the shafts, I will just hold the heads in the acid with the shaft. I do have a wire jig just for the purpose, so my hands weren't in the acid.

Ask and you shall receive. It's actually an easy process, maybe just a little time-consuming. But worth it!

Looks good what did you use for acid Muratic Acid?

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I actually don't know what kind of acid it is, the package doesn't say. I bought some stainless steel blackener from caswellplating.com from their antiquing section. It's easy to use. I sand-blasted the heads, blew them off with air, dipped them in some alcohol to clean them, dipped them in pure water to wash that off, then a 3-4 minute bath in the acid. Let them drip back into the acid bucket, put them on a towel to dry for 20 min, then repeated the process. After the 3rd dip and drying, I sprayed them with WD-40. And after that dried I did the paint fill.

Archived