Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Official Forum Member Review - DST COMPRESSOR REVIEWS

JBones

I've only used these sparingly in my testing review, and I can already see what you mean about the grip. Hard to believe, as good a training aid as this is, that they don't partner with Golf Pride or Lamkin.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

After using it twice I swapped the grip out.  I use 2 wraps underneath anyway so it felt more natural swinging it.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have two range session in so far with mine and the increased ball compression has been noticable for me. I find using the aid and placing a tee 3inches or so in front of my ball makes for a great combination when practicing.

Driver: Callaway BBA 815

3w: Cobra F6

5w: Taylormade R11

Irons: Cobra AMP Forged

Wedges: Titliest SM4

Putter: Odessey Dart series

I recently spoke with Rich Massey - VP Operations of DST Golf.  I was curious about the CR-10 and he explained the benefits and also how the tour pros use it (vs. the compressor) to reinforce proper setup/address and impact position. One of the drills the pros use with the CR-10 is to address the ball with the grip pointing to their belly button and hitting balls from this starting position.  The drill forces you to arrive at the proper impact position during the golf swing instead of being there at setup.  After he explained the drill, I obtained a CR-10 and tried this drill on the range.  It was hard at first, but I figured out how to arrive at impact and tested it with my own clubs (particularly the driver).  For those who struggle with the long clubs in the bag, this is a fantastic drill.  After doing this drill, I hit some of the straightest drives this season.

For the testers who have the CR-10, would you mind trying the drill above and seeing how it works out for you.  

Got my DST 8i today. Went immediately to get a new grip and to the range.

Luckily, not one shank. That said, I hit some fat but most didn't feel compressed like I thought they would, or pure and too many were pulled left.

What am I doing wrong?

WITB?

Mizuno JPX921F 4-PW, recoil 95 shafts

Callaway Epic SZ 9.5°, Hzrdus Smoke black 

Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,60 

PXG hybrid 0317 Gen 1, Tensi CK Blue

Cobra F9 14.5° 3 wood, Atmos Blue 

I recently spoke with Rich Massey - VP Operations of DST Golf.  I was curious about the CR-10 and he explained the benefits and also how the tour pros use it (vs. the compressor) to reinforce proper setup/address and impact position. One of the drills the pros use with the CR-10 is to address the ball with the grip pointing to their belly button and hitting balls from this starting position.  The drill forces you to arrive at the proper impact position during the golf swing instead of being there at setup.  After he explained the drill, I obtained a CR-10 and tried this drill on the range.  It was hard at first, but I figured out how to arrive at impact and tested it with my own clubs (particularly the driver).  For those who struggle with the long clubs in the bag, this is a fantastic drill.  After doing this drill, I hit some of the straightest drives this season.

For the testers who have the CR-10, would you mind trying the drill above and seeing how it works out for you.  

This drill sounds like what the tour striker does no? Not criticizing DST, just that it seems like the CR-10 is an attempt to do what the tour striker does. That said, I can now see the difference in use for curved vs straight models.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Got my DST 8i today. Went immediately to get a new grip and to the range.

Luckily, not one shank. That said, I hit some fat but most didn't feel compressed like I thought they would, or pure and too many were pulled left.

What am I doing wrong?

According to the DST website, this shot type/shape indicates that your body stalls it's lateral movement towards the target and your hands are forced to flip prior to impact.  Your hands are behind the line of tension.  The solution is to let the weight of your body move laterally onto your lead foot during the downswing and allow your body to rotate towards the target.  Keep your hands ahead of the line of tension at impact, with a flat lead wrist. 

Ok, much better results today. I actually felt like I was compressing the ball. Worked on the 8i for about a small bucket then hit my 8i for about 20!balls then then my 4i. Struggled a little with the 4i but when I hit it well, it felt great.

Need much more work, but honestly felt like I wasted my money on it the first day; today felt like money well spent.

WITB?

Mizuno JPX921F 4-PW, recoil 95 shafts

Callaway Epic SZ 9.5°, Hzrdus Smoke black 

Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,60 

PXG hybrid 0317 Gen 1, Tensi CK Blue

Cobra F9 14.5° 3 wood, Atmos Blue 

I've been using my DST lately and enjoy it. Funny story I think....

Yesterday before my round one of the guys in my group was beside me on the practice tee. One of the assistants was hanging around and talking to him about shaft lean and his ball striking, etc. After the assistant left I pulled out my DST and invited him to give it a try. After his first shot he said, Wow! I suggested he get one but I doubt he will. I got the impression he thinks training aid are for hackers. Hackers like Stenson I guess. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I got the impression he thinks training aid are for hackers. Hackers like Stenson I guess. LOL

And hackers like PJ .. LOL ;) .. (and me!) AND all the other tour pros that seem to be adopting this!

Yeah: it has UNquestionably been helping (well, actually, "they" - I now have both compressor trainers).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Another DST range night. I will say that the more you work with these, the more "normal" the hand position becomes. I've hit some SWEET 6-8 irons tonight.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

So... this DST Compressor....

Hadn't played in a few weeks; worked on the range last Monday.

Shot 85 Thursday, which isn't great, but dropped a 77 on Friday!! Hit a BUNCH of sweet iron shots. Hndcp dn to 12.8, doesn't include the 77 yet! Been a good Summer!!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

They aren't on the DST site. But here is what I was doing that helped me:

Stop and Go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5BEMFvCqfI

The second drill I did is called the Golf Step Drill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhPf0_v3HIY

Instead of using a regular club, I was performing both of them with the DST. If anyone else has other drills they use with the DST, please feel free to share.

As an update, I went back to my club fitter today who has Trackman. While getting fitted for woods, he had me hit some iron shots. I'm easily 20 yards longer (carry) in my irons due to a faster swing speed and better clubface contact - mostly courtesy of the DST. I was using the drills before the DST, but not getting these results. With the drills and the DST, I've made this type of improvement. My kinematic sequence is so much better.

Very good drill, I definitely have to try it next time I'm on the range. The DST seems to be one of the better products out there to help improving better contact by having your hands out front of the club head and not cupped at impact . Time to save up some cash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

• 1 month later...

If anyone happens to be looking for a Tour Striker 56° wedge...

OffPriceGolf selling them for $19.95

http://offpricegolf.com/products/tour_striker_56_degree_wedge_with_flex_shaft?mc_cid=96c1fede63&mc_eid=9286a6b761&utm_campaign=96c1fede63-11-29-16%20Tour%20Striker&utm_medium=email&utm_source=OffPriceGolf%20Subscribers&utm_term=0_a24fbaa437-96c1fede63-124648221&variant=17862156291

Oh, and appears Left-hand is available.

* Personally, I prefer the DST clubs but having both may be of some benefit to some; eg. .. and IMO .. the DST seems to encourage a good body turn and weight transfer vs. the TS seems to focus on shaft-forward impact.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am hoping to get one of these this winter.  Need something to work on as I get older.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Which would everyone recommend? Tour striker or DST?

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

Which would everyone recommend? Tour striker or DST?

DST and its not even close. The Tour Striker only magnifies your misses and provides feedback . The DST actually gets you in the correct position and trains your to strike the ball correctly.

I finally got around to buying the wedge and have enjoyed using it so far. I feel this is gonna help my short game so much this season because I have a tendency to kinda throw the club at the ball and not get my hips or hands thru.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 7 months later...

Wow these are some gnarly looking clubs. I'm glad I stumbled into this review. For a second, I thought those pictures at address were action shots with a good camera until I realized the clubs were incredibly bent 🤪🤪

I'm really glad to see low cappers included in this review. So often, I think of training aid=high cap golfer. I'm not a low cap but hope to get there someday.

I'm also happy to see that these clubs helped with those that struggle with coming over the top. I'm bitten with this ailment from top to bottom in my bag so this will probably be a useful drill for me.

Chalk up another golf "thing" I need to add to the wish list.

I'm sorry to see trdblack put a nasty sky mark on the hybrid but got a kick out of the fact that GoBlue got a lefty wedge 🤣

And lastly, a question for the reviewers in case you come back and see this:

Are you still using these training aids? If so, can you put an estimate on strokes you've gained as a result of using these?

Edit: Just finished reading the rest of the thread and noticed tons of folks on the forum have this as well. Same question to you all.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I use mine from time to time. It's defiantly a very good training aid. I've said many times that I could play a whole bag a clubs built like the Compressor. My model is an 8i. It's easy to hit. I don't pay any attention to the alignment marks on the head. I just use my normal setup and swing. You'll naturally make a good move on the ball since it's got that curved shaft.

Tip... be prepared to replace the stock grip it ships with. It'll turn to stone quickly.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I still use mine.  And it is also probably the most used training-aid/warmup club on tour

• 240 players on the PGA/European Tour are using it.
  • In 15 months 40 of those players have won.
  • 27 Major Champions use it.
  • 15 of the top 25 in the world ranking use it.

Now the question becomes: where can I find a deal on them? eBay is totally empty, which is strange.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Now the question becomes: where can I find a deal on them? eBay is totally empty, which is strange.

Contact them on Twitter and they'll give you a promo code for 10% off.

And you won't find them on ebay because nobody who uses it wants to get rid of it!

Archived