TESTERS WANTED! ×

14 Clubs or Not?

jbil8802

Just realized I've been playing the last two months with only 13 clubs. Dropped my 3W for a 5W and my 4 iron for a 4H. So now I only have one hybrid instead of two. 5-PW then 50, 54, 58 and putter obviously although my wedge putting is arguably better than my traditional putting.

My handicap as of today is at an all time low of 8.8. While the evidence suggests that I don't need a 14th club, I can't help feeling like I'm leaving something on the table.

At my course, from the tips (6900 yards), I'm not usually hitting more than a 7 iron into a green unless I really butcher a tee shot. There are only 3 par 5s. Two aren't usually worth the risk of going for in two. I'll lay up to 100-125 and try to make birdie from there. The third one is usually not more than a hybrid or long iron in if I'm in the fairway.

I'm not sure what, if anything, I would add. The only thing I'm considering right now is possibly a mini driver. My course is old school - tight, tree-lined, water hazards. Lots of trouble off the tee. I don't typically take penalties off the tee but with the club championship coming up in August I need to think more about playing from the tips. There are 4 holes where driver isn't the play but 5W leaves me with a 6 or 7 iron in. I also think I'd be more comfortable with something with a slightly bigger face off the tee. I'm also thinking it could be a good alternative to driver when I'm playing from the forward tees like we have to in league and most other club events.

So I'm calling on you guys for advice. Is it worth picking up a mini driver to try out, or maybe a different club altogether? Or just stop being an idiot and leave well enough alone. I have thick skin and I appreciate honesty.

As always, love you guys and appreciate your time and feedback.

Disclaimer: Bird dog whiskey and the bay may have influenced this post.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Bro I dunno how your surviving on 13. I spend many a minute trying decide what my 14th club is. I wish I could have 17 haha

Edit: I also like mini drivers and 1 irons. So I'm not opposed to a specialty club.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Bro I dunno how your surviving on 13. I spend many a minute trying decide what my 14th club is. I wish I could have 17 haha

Edit: I also like mini drivers and 1 irons. So I'm not opposed to a specialty club.

I do have the 64° PM grind and it's fun but I can get myself into to much trouble with it. I already have 4 wedges which is more than enough given my lack of practice time lately. Other than that I can't see what else would be worthwhile. The SLDR and Aeroburner minis seem to be a reasonably priced experiment. Just not sure whether I would go 12° or 14°. Not concerned with gaps since I'd only be using it off the tee.

I do have the 64° PM grind and it's fun but I can get myself into to much trouble with it. I already have 4 wedges which is more than enough given my lack of practice time lately. Other than that I can't see what else would be worthwhile. The SLDR and Aeroburner minis seem to be a reasonably priced experiment. Just not sure whether I would go 12° or 14°. Not concerned with gaps since I'd only be using it off the tee.

I can do the same stuff with a 60* as I do a 64* with less negative consequences. So I'd prefer another specialty club at the top end if this is the situation. I went 12* and wouldn't ever regret it. The mini drivers spin a lot and launch at a normal 3 wood height. Thus I ended up with a 94g shaft in it to keep from hitting absolute moon balls. Bc the stock 77g shaft didn't do that. If its me the low loft wouldn't worry me bc it's gonna spin plenty and get up in the air.

Sent from my LG-AS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

From what you have stated the 13 clubs seem to work for you. Heck it is a funny game but I say if it is working for you then stay that way. Heck I know guys that play less clubs than that and shoot around par or better. I know one guy at my club retired in his 70s that carries only 10 clubs of so hits all hybrids except the driver, a Trusty Rusty 56 and putter. Now he plays every day weather permitting and can utitilize those hybrids like no one I have ever seen. He shoots his age a lot ( I think he is 73 to be exact) from the gold senior tees. I have personally been playing with him at least 3 times he has done it. I would say he is an average putter because he knocks the ball in general so close with those funky hybrids the putt is a no brainer. If you saw his bag with all the little head covers you would think what a hybrid hack but one would be wrong on that. I will state again play what works for you

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I would say they work on the course you regularly play. That doesn't mean they are the ideal set up for when you go elsewhere. In your shoes I'd have a mini driver and then take it out for a lifted wedge when I went to play elsewhere.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I carry 14 clubs.  I could probably drop my 3wood out as I rarely ever hit it.  I trust my driver and the next club I would use off the tee most times would be my 3hybrid.  

Sounds like we have a similar game.  Driver, 3H for me as well.  I had a 4W in the bag early this year, and it was fine when I hit it well.  Unfortunately, it wasn't often enough.  However, I always use the driver off the tee; I only use the 3H on one 200 yard par 3.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Think I've decided on a mini driver. Keeping an eye out for a deal on a mini SLDR.

I'm all about the mini driver.  I use it more often than I originally thought I would.  The Tmag versions can be had for around 100 new.  Imo pretty cheap for such a versatile club. 

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Based on how I'm currently playing I'm seeing myself in this same boat soon.  I'm creaming the SLDR 3HL off the turf (I actually haven't tried it off of a tee even on the driving range) - I do have a gap between my 53 and 60 degree wedge that could be bridged by strengthening the 53 to 52 and dropping in a 56 - however I'm very happy with my short game and don't see the need at this point - I can hit the 53 from 90 to 70 very comfortably at this point and have little trouble using the 48 from 90-110 using the same method.  I can stretch the 60 to 70 yards if need be - all three of those wedges have clearly defined roles and shot types around the green - it would just add confusion to add another wedge. 

At the top end right now I have 4 hybrid, 3 HL and 3 W - I have the 3 W in to hit it off the tee and off the tee only - why not use a mini instead - it will be easier to hit.  I hit a big draw with the 3 W which means it doesn't work so well if there is anything over hanging on the right hand side. 

Best that I can tell I hit the 4 hybrid 185 and the 3 HL 205 so that's a bit of a gap.  I need to try that 3 HL off of a tee tomorrow. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• SPY VIP

Like others, I'd think you could benefit from some specialty club - Also, it's easy to fall in to the trap of looking just at your home course. One idea is to go play 5-10 other courses and see which shots come up most often...

Like others, I'd think you could benefit from some specialty club - Also, it's easy to fall in to the trap of looking just at your home course. One idea is to go play 5-10 other courses and see which shots come up most often...

I play 90% of my rounds at my club. Outside of that I play maybe once a month at one of two other local courses. I don't have any gaps from 5W down through my wedges. Hoping the mini driver can be my go to club when I don't want to hit driver but want a little more than 5 wood off the tee. The bigger head should be a bit easier to hit than a traditional 3W. I'm hoping I can also use it for the occasional punch shot out of the trees like I use to use my 3W.

Basically I'm just trying to justify my purchase to myself lol.

• SPY VIP

I play 90% of my rounds at my club. Outside of that I play maybe once a month at one of two other local courses. I don't have any gaps from 5W down through my wedges. Hoping the mini driver can be my go to club when I don't want to hit driver but want a little more than 5 wood off the tee. The bigger head should be a bit easier to hit than a traditional 3W. I'm hoping I can also use it for the occasional punch shot out of the trees like I use to use my 3W.

Basically I'm just trying to justify my purchase to myself lol.

Justification may be the most underrated skill in purchasing equipment!

Really like the mini-driver idea - especially if it's going to be 98% off the tee and 2% out of trees :)

I grew up playing Driver, 3W, 3i, 5i, 7i, 9i and Putter........So I was okay for many years, then I received new clubs from my Grandfather for High School Graduation and filled out my bag.  In the early 80's I won a Sand Wedge in a tournament(Wilson R90)..  

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I only carry 13 clubs. 4i-Pw then 52,56,60 wedges - Driver, 4w, and putter. This setup works just about anywhere I play as long as the yardage is not over about 6600.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Curious.

Are you playing to 8.8 from tips currently?

What is distance for your 7 iron, not counting roll?

Like Stu, I probably wouldn't change set up. Saying that though if the course conditions changed (dry to wet etc) then I'd add your 3w back to your bag to account for it.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Curious.

Are you playing to 8.8 from tips currently?

What is distance for your 7 iron, not counting roll?

Like Stu, I probably wouldn't change set up. Saying that though if the course conditions changed (dry to wet etc) then I'd add your 3w back to your bag to account for it.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

8.8 is my index. Course handicap is 10 from the tips. I typically score the same regardless of the tees. 7 iron carry is 170.

I find that I don't need 3W off the deck plus it's not a high percentage shot for me. So mainly I'm looking for the extra confidence from the larger head of the mini driver as strictly a fairway finding club and for when driver distance brings trouble into play.

I like your choice of the mini driver too!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in my bag...

Driver:      TaylorMade R15 10.5• Aldila Rouge Black 60g stiff shaft

3 Wood:   TaylorMade R15 15• Aldila Rouge Black 70g stiff shaft

Hybrid:     TaylorMade  Rescue 4-21• Aldila Rip 65g stiff shaft

Irons:        TaylorMade  RSi TP Nippon NS Pro 950, stiff shaft

Wedges:   TaylorMade  50•, 54•, 58• Nippon NS Pro stiff shaft

Putter:      TaylorMade Ghost 

Ball:          Wilson DUO U

Bag:         TaylorMade 

8.8 is my index. Course handicap is 10 from the tips. I typically score the same regardless of the tees. 7 iron carry is 170.

I find that I don't need 3W off the deck plus it's not a high percentage shot for me. So mainly I'm looking for the extra confidence from the larger head of the mini driver as strictly a fairway finding club and for when driver distance brings trouble into play.

I like your choice of the mini driver too!

Yup, makes since to me to lol

Good luck with it.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Picked one up today should have it by Wednesday or Thursday hopefully. If it doesn't work I won't be upset for $80.

I would say they work on the course you regularly play. That doesn't mean they are the ideal set up for when you go elsewhere. In your shoes I'd have a mini driver and then take it out for a lifted wedge when I went to play elsewhere.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Good Post there Rev I did not want to confuse people so I did not say anything. Back when I played the minis I would switch around on the wedge side some and on some courses I would pull the 5 wood and play maybe a 6 wood or pull the woods all together and carry the 1 iron and even there I switched around sometimes it was My 985 blade sometimes the Ping Karsten 1. It just depended on the course. As recently as a few years ago I use to switch 7 woods around if I had a couple of tight draw holes I would carry my wife's little Callaway clone 7 wood I can hit the prettiest little controlled draw with that thing about 180 yards. Now I only carry one fairway wood because I am hitting my long irons so good but the 7&9 woods are in the closet ready to go if I need them

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Played yesterday with the mini driver. Really happy with it. Played from the white tees so I used it most of the day. Looks like it's right around 240 carry and super easy to hit. Heading to Ocean City, MD this weekend and I'll be playing Lighthouse Sound with a buddy. Anxious to use it some more.

Played yesterday with the mini driver. Really happy with it. Played from the white tees so I used it most of the day. Looks like it's right around 240 carry and super easy to hit. Heading to Ocean City, MD this weekend and I'll be playing Lighthouse Sound with a buddy. Anxious to use it some more.

The combo of low loft and high spin make it a very good fairway finder. At least thats what I've found.

I play with 13 as well. Couldn't hit my 60 well at all so I took out the temptation. If you consistently find you have a hole in your yardages id say add a wedge. That's just based off of David Pelz's suggestions. Personally, unless you find yourself in a weird yardage gap I'd say the mini driver or driving iron is perfect!

Good luck!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I play 13, for the courses I currently play that setup works fine and it's less I have to carry. I wouldn't rule out a 14th if I found one that would help me though.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Golf would be a lot less complicated for me if I had fewer clubs.

Blasphemy Kenny, the more clubs the better! I want to over think this as much as possible. :D

Blasphemy Kenny, the more clubs the better! I want to over think this as much as possible. :D

I'd love to have every lofted iron from 18-64. All gaps covered

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

That's part of my problem.  I have 5 SCORs from 42 to 58, and I could probably hit most any shot around the green with any of them; even some bunker shots.  What club should I pick?  Bump and run a 46 or fly the 56 halfway to the hole?  So, I decide... I going to bump and run the 46.  Then I fly it halfway to the hole, resulting in a really long putt coming back if I'm lucky or another chip if I'm not.  If I just played one wedge all the time, I would vary the length of the shot by the distance to the pin.  I used to do that but my coach wanted me to use clubs based on the percent fly vs roll.  I understand the concept, but I lack consistent execution.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived