Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The Latest on Tiger

kmaygolf

I'm a big TW fan so I decided to start a thread for everyone to post/talk about Tiger and his return to competitive golf. I hope it's soon, but I'd rather see him come back when he is 100% ready to play and contend again.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I thought about Tiger twice this weekend when we saw guys throw or break clubs. One of them was Rory and no big deal was made of it. IMO Tiger was treated unfairly as his career progressed and I'm an unabashed Jack fan. Tiger was amazing and the end of his career is a sad tale. It doesn't change how incredible he was in his prime. Of prefer he call it a day.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• SPY VIP

The longer TW is away from the spotlight, the better it is for golf. Golf, like any other sport, needs superstars to market and drive the game forward and moving forward, that isn't going to be TW.

That said, I'd love to see him come back healthy and give it another go, but it's clear TW has no desire to let anyone else really know when that's going to happen. At this point, next year looks reasonable. 

Well it seems we won't see TW until next year, if you ask me I think it's the correct move, as a fan I hated to see him come back too soon and embarrass himself. I'm counting the days.....

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-tiger-woods-pga-championship-20160719-snap-story.html

I agree. It was tough watching him at the US Open last year. Don't wanna wait forever to watch him play again but I would rather watch him compete and be healthy once he comes back

Its odd to not see him be such a presence, it feels like a long time, but it was not that long ago he was still winning on the tour. 

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Well it seems we won't see TW until next year, if you ask me I think it's the correct move, as a fan I hated to see him come back too soon and embarrass himself. I'm counting the days.....

So is Tiger, and I think he has lost count.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I for one, can't wait til he comes back. I've always been a Tiger fan and always will be.

When he is playing, I will record the tournaments prior to watching just so I can fast forward through everyone else just to watch Tiger.  But, now I am watching more of Day, Spieth and Johnson.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

Much rather see a TW at 100% than the one we saw dunking 3 shots into the water earlier. Can't wait to see if he can beat Jack's record.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I think Jack's record is safe for a long time. Five years ago my cash would have been on the other side but unfortunately the injury bug hit Tiger hard. Hard to come back from the back injuries he has had.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I disagree about the back injuries, I am 55 and overweight. 4 years ago I had to have a micro discectomy just like Tiger.  I was playing golf again in 6 months but, it took nearly 2 years for it to heal and become totally pain free. I feel that my back is stronger now than it has ever been. I haven't had any trouble at all in the last 2 years.

On the other hand though, I don't have or have I ever had the speed or power in my swing that TW has. But, I think he is making the right decision to give it the time to heal and I think he will be back as a contender. Will he ever break Jack's record?  Who knows?

I will be rooting for him all the way though!

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

I disagree about the back injuries, I am 55 and overweight. 4 years ago I had to have a micro discectomy just like Tiger. I was playing golf again in 6 months but, it took nearly 2 years for it to heal and become totally pain free. I feel that my back is stronger now than it has ever been. I haven't had any trouble at all in the last 2 years.

On the other hand though, I don't have or have I ever had the speed or power in my swing that TW has. But, I think he is making the right decision to give it the time to heal and I think he will be back as a contender. Will he ever break Jack's record? Who knows?

I will be rooting for him all the way though!

Hoping that would be the case but he has had the surgery three times. I think it is telling that he is taking the entire season off this year with hopes of a return next year. I am a fan of Tiger and think the game is better with him than without him, but have resolved myself to thinking his days of winning majors are over. Then again he could prove me dead wrong and stage one of the best comebacks in golf history.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Tiger has always been a power guy, unless he chooses or changes that way of thinking he will have trouble with his return, if he would play a more finesse style of golf that pits less strain on his body,,he could win again, but I doubt he is willing to do that. I'm not a tiger fan, so it don't matter to me whether he steps foot on a course in competition again or not, it's just a shame that his career had to come to a close in he way in which it has.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Rocco Mediate said that he could help Tiger, whatever that means.  Rocco went through a lot of back pain and he seems to have found a good game in his senior years.  I think Tiger could do just about anything if he put his mind to it, and if he wants to compete again with a chance to win, he has to make some concessions on how he plays golf.  He thinks he is still a young man, but he is trapped in an old body.  To win, he has to play like someone with an old body.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I totally agree with you @Kor.A.Dor, he has to power down and learn to play with more finesse like Ernie Els or Fred Couples. Both of these guys swing with what looks like no power at all. I saw Ernie play in Gainesville, Va. last year and he is amazing to watch hitting the driver. Tiger was there too but, struggling along.  The biggest problem with Tiger is he still wants that huge drive but, when he tries to do it, he is usually way left or right. When he is hitting the fairways, you can tell he is not swinging as hard.

Hoping that would be the case but he has had the surgery three times. I think it is telling that he is taking the entire season off this year with hopes of a return next year. I am a fan of Tiger and think the game is better with him than without him, but have resolved myself to thinking his days of winning majors are over. Then again he could prove me dead wrong and stage one of the best comebacks in golf history.

I would love to see that happen

Reminds me a bit of Jordan coming back to play for the Wizards in the twilight of his career.  You'll see those flashes of brilliance but you just can't recapture what you were in your youth.

Tiger was truly transcendent and it was amazing watching him play in tournaments.  I will never forget the many tournaments in which "tiger stalking" on the back 9 was so common.  I don't know if there ever will be a player like him in which you could choose "Tiger" or "the field".  :)

I hope he can change his game a bit so that he can be successful again.  I'm not sure he has another major in him but he seems pretty content if he doesn't break Jack's record.

It'd also be neat to see him on the Champions Tour if his body will allow it! 

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• 2 weeks later...

I never really got into the tiger mania. Don't get me wrong his on the course stuff was incredible and enjoyable but I wasn't a huge fan of his. I liked Mickelson and Garcia's craziness around the greens and ups and downs. Now that Tiger is hurt, I want to see him come back, but I fear he will be a shell of himself. I think he'll win a few more tournaments, but I don't see him being the end all be all ever again.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me that his early swing would have kept him healthy much longer. Also I think he got too big for his britches and his public downfall hurt his invincibility complex. It's possible he could come back and win, even be very very good, but I for one don't want him taking spots from guys who need breaks when the chance for WDing are so high.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 4 weeks later...

He's back! I just came home for lunch and the news that he will play 3 tournaments this year.

I'm excited. I hope it sets him up for a competitive year next year. I'd live to see some sort of glimpse of the old Tiger.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

He's back! I just came home for lunch and the news that he will play 3 tournaments this year.

I'm excited. I hope it sets him up for a competitive year next year. I'd live to see some sort of glimpse of the old Tiger.

Literally I got goosebumps when I was doing my morning check on TSN.ca up here in Canada and it said Tiger sets his return. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I can't wait and hope the best for TW.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

It will be good to see him back.  I'm not the biggest Tiger fan, but golf is fun to watch when he's in the mix.  it adds a whole different feel to the gallery that comes through on TV.   I hope he's competitive and hasn't rushed back.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Archived