• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised there hasn't been any questions for us

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Yea I was kinda surprised too Theo.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Waiting to read some feedback first regarding your first couple of experiences hitting balls and getting them on the course.

Initial background write-ups were excellent.

Waiting to read some feedback first regarding your first couple of experiences hitting balls and getting them on the course.

Initial background write-ups were excellent.

What he said...they look sexy as hell. Want to see what you guys have to say about em before formulating questions.

What he said...they look sexy as hell. Want to see what you guys have to say about em before formulating questions.

Well any generalized questions are welcomed to start. My only observation so far is that these are still players irons without a doubt. They offer plenty of forgivness to the 15-20+ handicap but there is still plenty of feedback. This coming from someone whose had a mix of MBs in his sets for years.

Once you guys get into the next phase you may regret that statement. I'm really interested in these irons, like what I've read so far and hope they are as good as they seem.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Once you guys get into the next phase you may regret that statement. I'm really interested in these irons, like what I've read so far and hope they are as good as they seem.

Not at all! I welcome any and all questions. I'll be hitting them today on the LM to get some numbers

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Alright guys... you asked...

For the reviewers - any/all of you... no one in particular.

This is from the Hogan site:  

"The first game improvement iron that gives you the confidence and forgiveness you desire, with the feel, precision and consistency you refuse to give up"

Not sure how many of you play 'game improvement' irons but how do you feel about this?  Would you classify these as 'game improvement'  If you had to put a handicap range on these what would be your estimate?

How is the forgiveness on off-center hits?  Is it a big loss of yardage/accuracy?

What's your dispersion like?  Are most of your shots within the same area?

You all got personalized lofts.  Do you like the lofts on the irons versus the iron number?  How do you determine which club to use if you are used to grabbing a numbered iron versus one with a loft on it?  Are the lofts accurate in relation to the distance you hit your numbered irons?  How long did it take for you to get used to the loft numbers?

From the Hogan site: "In the lower lofts, however, a progressive hollow construction ensures higher ball flights, while the thicker face technology delivers a steeper landing angle with more spin to hold the green on your long approaches."

Do you notice any difference in the 'scoring' clubs (P/9i/8i/7i) versus the lower lofted clubs? (6i/5i/4i)  Do they feel different?  Sound different?  Is what is being advertised above correct?   

I realize the shafts make a big difference in ball flight but how are the trajectories with the shafts you ordered?  High?  Ballooning?  Piercing?

How are they out of the rough?  Or a fairway bunker?  Does the "V" sole make a difference?

What do you think of the grips?  Would you change them?  Keep them?

Thanks guys!  Appreciate the feedback...

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

"The first game improvement iron that gives you the confidence and forgiveness you desire, with the feel, precision and consistency you refuse to give up"

Not sure how many of you play 'game improvement' irons but how do you feel about this?  Would you classify these as 'game improvement'  If you had to put a handicap range on these what would be your estimate?

How is the forgiveness on off-center hits?  Is it a big loss of yardage/accuracy?

What's your dispersion like?  Are most of your shots within the same area?

You all got personalized lofts.  Do you like the lofts on the irons versus the iron number?  How do you determine which club to use if you are used to grabbing a numbered iron versus one with a loft on it?  Are the lofts accurate in relation to the distance you hit your numbered irons?  How long did it take for you to get used to the loft numbers?

From the Hogan site: "In the lower lofts, however, a progressive hollow construction ensures higher ball flights, while the thicker face technology delivers a steeper landing angle with more spin to hold the green on your long approaches."

Do you notice any difference in the 'scoring' clubs (P/9i/8i/7i) versus the lower lofted clubs? (6i/5i/4i)  Do they feel different?  Sound different?  Is what is being advertised above correct?   

I realize the shafts make a big difference in ball flight but how are the trajectories with the shafts you ordered?  High?  Ballooning?  Piercing?

How are they out of the rough?  Or a fairway bunker?  Does the "V" sole make a difference?

Well.... At least I know that the stuff in my review is what you are wanting to know. haha These were all talking points for me.

Not sure how many of you play 'game improvement' irons but how do you feel about this? Would you classify these as 'game improvement' If you had to put a handicap range on these what would be your estimate?

I wouldn't call these game improvement irons. For me these fall into what I would call player improvement. You have to be able to hit irons well to start and these off the right amount of forgiveness without taking away what I personally want my irons to look and feel like.

@Undershooter30 did you use these in your club championship or did you use your Mizunos?

I stuck with Hogans. Yardages still aren't dialed in but it didn't really matter. I was hitting them on a string Sunday. They did so well in fact that I'm gonna hold off changing the shafts even though they aren't what I'd call favorable to my swing. Yep, they made an impression. 

I stuck with Hogans. Yardages still aren't dialed in but it didn't really matter. I was hitting them on a string Sunday. To the point where I'm gonna hold off changing the shafts. Yep, they made an impression.

Whoa, that's a statement for sure

I stuck with Hogans. Yardages still aren't dialed in but it didn't really matter. I was hitting them on a string Sunday. To the point where I'm gonna hold off changing the shafts. Yep, they made an impression. 

I think to me that in itself tells me just about everything I need to know about the Hogans. If you're willing to dump your current gamers for a set of irons you just received to play in your club championship I'd say they are a pretty good set of clubs.

Although I may be reading a bit too deeply, as you haven't changed your sig yet so maybe, just maybe they aren't "the one's" lol  :D  :lol:

I think to me that in itself tells me just about everything I need to know about the Hogans. If you're willing to dump your current gamers for a set of irons you just received to play in your club championship I'd say they are a pretty good set of clubs.

Although I may be reading a bit too deeply, as you haven't changed your sig yet so maybe, just maybe they aren't "the one's" lol :D :lol:

You're welcome to hit mine if we ever play

I wouldn't call these game improvement irons. For me these fall into what I would call player improvement. You have to be able to hit irons well to start and these off the right amount of forgiveness without taking away what I personally want my irons to look and feel like.

I agree with Theo. These aren't game improvement irons like M2s or something of that nature. Yes they offer plenty of forgiveness but they are far from shovels. I would say (depending on the player) these could work for anyone between a + and 30 ish handicap. They can ''improve" someones game because they are forgiving and yet offer feedback so you know what you did wrong. 

I agree with Theo. These aren't game improvement irons like M2s or something of that nature. Yes they offer plenty of forgiveness but they are far from shovels. I would say (depending on the player) these could work for anyone between a + and 30 ish handicap. They can ''improve" someones game because they are forgiving and yet offer feedback so you know what you did wrong.

At least a 26 handicap since that's where I sit lol

Although I may be reading a bit too deeply, as you haven't changed your sig yet so maybe, just maybe they aren't "the one's" lol  :D  :lol:

That's because I'm lazy and haven't decided on the shafts yet  :P . They(shafts) aren't my cup of tea but I can't argue with results. The 69 I shot Sunday should have been a 67 if I had one AWFUL swing back. I should've stepped off the ball bc I was uncomfortable and didn't. Even then it got unlucky to go through a ton of trees without hitting a single one to go OB. And I really didn't make any putts except for one 15-20 footer on 18. I count 5 bird/eagle putts inside 10 feet I missed and 3 more from farther out that lipped out. Also had 3 shots from the fringe inside 15 feet that I didn't make. To put it simply, I hit it VERY VERY well. 

That's because I'm lazy and haven't decided on the shafts yet :P . They(shafts) aren't my cup of tea but I can't argue with results. The 69 I shot Sunday should have been a 67 if I had one AWFUL swing back. I should've stepped off the ball bc I was uncomfortable and didn't. Even then it got unlucky to go through a ton of trees without hitting a single one to go OB. And I really didn't make any putts except for one 15-20 footer on 18. I count 5 bird/eagle putts inside 10 feet I missed and 3 more from farther out that lipped out. Also had 3 shots from the fringe inside 15 feet that I didn't make. To put it simply, I hit it VERY VERY well.

Where is the picture of the trophy lol

That's because I'm lazy and haven't decided on the shafts yet  :P . They(shafts) aren't my cup of tea but I can't argue with results. The 69 I shot Sunday should have been a 67 if I had one AWFUL swing back. I should've stepped off the ball bc I was uncomfortable and didn't. Even then it got unlucky to go through a ton of trees without hitting a single one to go OB. And I really didn't make any putts except for one 15-20 footer on 18. I count 5 bird/eagle putts inside 10 feet I missed and 3 more from farther out that lipped out. Also had 3 shots from the fringe inside 15 feet that I didn't make. To put it simply, I hit it VERY VERY well. 

web.com !!  C'mon shooter... you can were some MGS swag.  :0

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Where is the picture of the trophy lol

We don't give out trophies for winning a flight, only for winning your age/gender group. Flight winners just get money and points towards the season long "Watkins Cup."

Here's a pic of the trophy I won a couple tournaments back though. Excuse the brews haha

20160626_142059.jpg

web.com !!  C'mon shooter... you can were some MGS swag.  :0

haha I wish bro. Gotta get about 4 shots better per round before I even think about that.   :blink:

You're welcome to hit mine if we ever play

I've told my wife to stop planning things for me to do on the weekends- she doesn't listen and continues to make plans that hinder my ability to play on the weekends. 

I'm working on it though!

I've told my wife to stop planning things for me to do on the weekends- she doesn't listen and continues to make plans that hinder my ability to play on the weekends.

I'm working on it though!

No worries! I know how it is to get busy

Don't have enough time with them to answer some of the other stuff yet, but I'll keep it in mind as I'm playing them and hope to have answers for stage 2.

As for the distances ... it's an adjustment.  First round I played them I was all over the map on distances.  Just couldn't figure them out at all.  I took them straight to the course though without any range time and had never hit them before.  I did a 30 minute launch monitor session to help figure out some distances and then compared them loft to loft with my Speedblades.  Once I did that it got much easier the 2nd round.  26, 30, & 34 are the same as my Speedblade 6, 7 & 8.  The PW at 46 matches up with my Scor 45 close enough.  Then I had a 40 degree 9i in the speedblades, but I have 38 & 42 in the Hogans, so in my head it's 8.5 and 9.5 irons compared to my speedblades.

For the grips it's a Lamkin 3GEN Ace grip, some like it and some don't.  It's fine for now for me, but eventually I'll replace them with PURE's.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Don't have enough time with them to answer some of the other stuff yet, but I'll keep it in mind as I'm playing them and hope to have answers for stage 2.

As for the distances ... it's an adjustment.  First round I played them I was all over the map on distances.  Just couldn't figure them out at all.  I took them straight to the course though without any range time and had never hit them before.  I did a 30 minute launch monitor session to help figure out some distances and then compared them loft to loft with my Speedblades.  Once I did that it got much easier the 2nd round.  26, 30, & 34 are the same as my Speedblade 6, 7 & 8.  The PW at 46 matches up with my Scor 45 close enough.  Then I had a 40 degree 9i in the speedblades, but I have 38 & 42 in the Hogans, so in my head it's 8.5 and 9.5 irons compared to my speedblades.

For the grips it's a Lamkin 3GEN Ace grip, some like it and some don't.  It's fine for now for me, but eventually I'll replace them with PURE's.

Yea I don't love the grip but its not the worst either.

Yea I don't love the grip but its not the worst either.

I'll prolly change mine after the season. I don't see the shafts lasting either so might as well do it all at once

Skimmed the first rounds -- These clubs look great. Glad to hear people are liking them!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Mini

Hybrids: Adams Tight Lie (3)

Irons: 5-A Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 (56/60)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot RX 1

I can sit and watch now, thanks strokerAce

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5