Official Forum Member Review - BEN HOGAN GOLF PTx IRON REVIEW

We have some very excited golfers out there........

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.pngPXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.pngPXG 0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 3 Hybrid(18*)w/Recoil ES regular shaft

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50*/54*/58*) w/DG Spinner wedge shafts 

Putter: 33”   Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

Part 1 is up on my review. I'm going to try and add a video as well. Let me know if yall have questions or observations please!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Hi, I'm Paul from MA and I was one of the lucky MSG members selected to test and review the new Hogan PTx irons. Thanks to MSG and the Ben Hogan Company for giving me this opportunity.

As a long time user of Hogan clubs I'm very excited about this opportunity! My last two sets of irons have been Hogan's and I currently play the Hogan Edge Pro- 2002/03. I love these irons and have said several times that "I WILL NEVER GET NEW IRONS UNLESS THEY ARE HOGAN"S". Well that made it difficult to take advantage of any technology advancements as Hogan came off the market a few years later.  SO HALLELUJAH, after 14 years I finally got some clubs I can upgrade too!.

My primary objective for the test is to see how the technology improvements over the years will help my worsening golf game. I have certainly maxed out any game improvement features of my current set.

Here is some background on my golf history to put things in better perspective for you:

• Compounding the problem of my worsening handicap is that I have two youngish kids at home. We adopted two wonderful kids later on in life. I'm on the Senior Circuit and am way too old for kids my age. I still have Jr High, High school and college to get thru. Neither of my kids is all that interested in golf. My 13 year old son will go to the range with me on occasion if only to placate me.
  • I've been playing golf since high school. I think they had wooden shafts when I started! My buddies and I weren't serious as we used it for a drinking game. I got serious about golf when I went into the Army after high school. Go figure, military bases have excellent golf courses at stupid low rates for members. For my money, the Air Force has the best courses.
  • Handicap: 12.3 and trending in the wrong direction. Was a low as a 5 way, way back in the day. I'm really inconsistent with typically a few really large numbers on my card.
  • Strength of my game has always been my iron play especially the 5 thru 8 irons. Longer irons can be inconsistent so I moved to hybrids and I need to get better from 125 yds. and in.
  • I could write a book on my weaknesses in my game but if I have to summarize and prioritize I'd have to say my short game (75 yds. and in) and second is putting. Not a good combination when your trying to go low. I'd rather a 100 yard shot versus a 30 yard. A 30 ft putt versus the 5 footer. I said it in my introduction to MSG - the closer to the whole I get the worse I get. I also need to be more consistent off the tee. I usually hit 3 wood off of any hole that requires a wood...mostly because my driver and me are rarely on speaking terms. More on my driver problems if I get lucky enough to get into a driver test.
  • My ball flight tends to be mid to high launch. I selected a pure mid launch profile with the PTx irons hoping to get a lower, more boring ball flight that lands and stops. When hitting the ball well, I play a right to left draw that lands softly.
  • A typical miss is an over-cooked hook that keeps going left. Found out something interesting during the Hogan test process. I went to get my current set sized up so I could better fit the PTx irons. My current clubs are set up with a 1 degree flat lie angle when I actually need a 3 degree flat lie angle. The person fitting me indicated this would cause the toe of the club to close on impact causing an over-cooked hook....and I hadn't told him this was my miss. I'm hoping a properly fitted set of PTx irons will minimize this miss.
  • What's in the bag:

1.  Driver (10.5 degree) and 3 wood (15 degree) Callaway  Big Bertha

2.  Hybrid - Callaway X Hot 21 degree

3.  Irons - Hogan Edge Pro 2002/03, 4 thu PW, steel shafts stiff

4.  Wedges - Cleveland , 52, 56, 60 degree

5.  Putter: Odyssey 2 ball - 35 inch

• Swing: I'm told I have a natural smooth swing but it's nothing I've ever analyzed. I tend to hit down on the ball taking rather large divots. I am no friend to the greens keeper. When I get out of sync, notice I said when....I will hit balls 'fat' versus 'thin'. On a bad day my wrists are really sore after a round.

Move to current time:

Most of the other testers either had their clubs or knew when their clubs would arrive so I was going crazy not knowing. I finally got FedEx on the phone and tracked the package. They told me it was "out for delivery"  and should be there in a couple of hours1 told my boss sorry but I got to go. As I pulled into my neighborhood I saw the FedEx trucking leaving...when I got to my house....Bingo, we got Bingo! ( All Pats fans understand this reference!)

Insert 'Clubs At Door" image here

Funny, I just grabbed the box, put it into my car and drove straight to the range! I opened the box in my trunk at the range

Wow, these irons are sweet looking! The same classic Hogan style with a modern touch!  It was love at first sight!

Insert "Love at First site picture"

They are very similar looking to my current set but you can tell they have moved the weight around. Here are some side by side club photos' to compare. Please note I purposely left my current set dirty to enhance the effect.... :)... honestly I'm a bit embarrassed by this!.

The first side by side view is of the old 5 iron and the new PTx 26 degree, 

Insert 3 pictures here: 5_26 Face, Back, Heel close ups.

The next club in the side by side view is the old Pitching wedge, identified as an E wedge back then and the 46 degree PTx iron

Insert 3 pictures here: E_46 Face, Hozel  and Heel closeups

I had so  much excitement about hitting that first ball....and 'chuck'....not a good start! The second swing was perfect! It felt pure, went right where I wanted it. Awesome. I can immediately tell that the feel and feedback you get is way improved from my old set. Never hit a ball as pure as that in the remainder of the 2 buckets I hit. Got lots of work to do for sure but I already know that 'feeling' I'll be chasing with every swing going forward. The weather at the range wasn't very good. Wind blowing in your face hard and a slight drizzle. No way to judge how far things were going. I just wanted to hit them.

My initial impressions would be I don't have much of the right to left draw of my usual flight particularly with the high angle irons. It's a game improvement iron so it makes sense. It will be interesting to see if this holds over the long run. It would completely change how I play if it does making the transition to these clubs more difficult. The ball flight does seem to be lower than my current irons and I didn't seem to hit many if any over cooked - hooks. Can't tell what  the impact of the wind was to all this. Can't wait to hit these again!

Great start Paul!  The pic of you sleeping next to the irons made me laugh out loud and everyone at work looked at me.

These look like a SERIOUS upgrade from what you've got in the bag now.  Can't wait to hear how they work for you on the course.

Have fun!

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

Thank you to Mygolfspy and Hogan for giving me the opportunity to test these irons and review them for everyone else. Any questions or observations are welcome, as I want to help everyone understand and know as much about these clubs without actually hitting them, as I can.

Some Backstory

A little about myself, I'm 28 years old and currently live in MS. I'm a former college baseball player and had to find something competitive to take its place when I gave it up. That is where golf stepped in. I've played since I could walk but not very consistently. I would play a lot for a summer or two then not play at all for a year or two. Basically, I didn't play at all during college then as soon as I started back, I never gave it up again. I generally play on the weekends and every once in a while I will try and practice or catch 9 during the week but that usually only happens once or twice per month.

Handicap wise I'm generally between +1 and -2 and currently sit at 0.4 according to ghin. Strengths of my game are probably my length and imagination. I'm a very streaky putter and can be very good with any certain part of my game on any given day. I'd say my iron game is very solid and I've been told it's a strength of mine. My weakness is probably my "big miss" and the fact that I will hit a ball OB here and there or in a hazard. In my defense, it's not always easy to keep your driver going where you want it when you're swinging at 120mph. Not to mention that little white ball likes to hide from you. My length gives me an advantage a lot of the time and I can get overly aggressive which hurts me. Normal ball flight for me is high with a little cut on it.

Typically my miss depends on how well I'm swinging it at the time. If things are normal or if I'm not playing great, then my cut will turn into a big cut or slice. However if I'm playing really well and my swing is locked in, then the miss is a little over the top pull. It usually doesn't hurt me much if that's my miss.

Something that I've worked hard on recently is my tempo. It used to be very fast with a swing that went way passed parallel and a late release. This meant very high launch and spin numbers. Recently I've tried to get everything in a more controlled state so that my tempo is more repeatable. I would still classify it as quick though.

My Sticks

Finally... enough about me and on to equipment. I'm a big club junky/ho and have no problem admitting it. I used to be a lot worse but have chilled out in the last year or so. We've been asked to compare our current equipment to the what we are testing, but I'm not sure how comparable my current and recent equipment is to the Hogan PTx irons. They are probably not even targeted at me if we want to be totally honest. I would probably be more in route for the Ft Worth if I had to guess what Hogan were thinking when designing the clubs. My most recent clubs are a combo set of Mizuno MP59s 4-6 iron and MP69s 7i-pw with Project X 6.5 shafts. Before that, a combo set of 2014 Taylormade TP MCs 3-7 iron and 2011 TP MBs 8i-pw with DG X7s. The set before that was Nike VR Pro Combo 3 and 4 irons and VR Pro blades 5i-pw shafted with DG X7s. Anyone seeing a trend? Yes, I like blades/MBs. I can't help myself :wub: . They just look so good! And for the most part, I was a good enough ball striker to play them. Lately, I've been thinking that with the small amount I get to practice a blade or muscleback may not be weapon for me.

My current full WITB for those interested: http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/13000-undershooters-zero-brand-loyalty-bag-updated-42116/page-2

The Hogans

To be totally honest with you guys and myself, I didn't know what to expect when I was picked to test these clubs. I was half expecting a box of shovels to arrive on the front door. Instead, what arrived was a perfectly packaged box of sweet looking cavity backs. Every club was pristinely put in its place with care, like I was the only one they were ever going to make a club for and ship to.

attachicon.gif20160713_150018.jpg

Yes the profile was bigger than my current clubs, but we aren't talking about miles different. These are still players clubs in my eyes. I would say the best I could compare them to profile wise would be Titleist AP2s. While the thickness at address can be noticed, it hasn't bothered me at all and I can't see anything but the topline. The cavity is small enough back there where you'll never see it at address.

attachicon.gif20160713_193116.jpg

When looking at the sole of the irons you notice the dual bounce/grind that Ben Hogan and SCOR before them are known for.

attachicon.gif20160713_192955.jpg

Another visual thing of note is in the long irons. The 23*, 27*, and 31* all have a little grey spot out on the toe where the Tungsten weight is housed.

attachicon.gif20160713_193056.jpg

My set is madeup of 23*-47* in 4* increments which do not totally match my MP59/MP69s. The PW in that set starts at 46* but my tinkering ass figured that these would be longer(distance wise) than my muscleback MP69s so I went a degree weak from the start. We'll see if my ‘redneck guessology' pays off in the end :blink: .

Other than the loft differences, everything else should be similar between my old set and the new Hogans. The lie angles are the same and I thought the lengths were the same but it seems I miscalculated the math for the length. These are a 1/4 inch shorter than my MPs but that isn't the end of the world. As for the shaft in these babies, it's the KBS TourV 120 in X flex. A shaft of which I have no history or knowledge so we'll see how that goes.

attachicon.gif20160713_152920.jpg

My Outlook of Things to Come

I really don't know how I'm going to like these or get used to them long term. They look good and even though they aren't what I'm used to, I don't seem to mind. There is no bad feeling when I stand over the ball, only confidence. The shafts do concern me a little because they aren't exactly the same type of profile I'm used to.

attachicon.gif20160713_192809.jpg

I have hit them but I'm not going to get into what it's like so you'll have to wait for stage 2 of the review B).

I do have one interesting tid bit of interest info though. The day I got the clubs I was super excited and couldn't wait to hit them. I was working close to one of my courses and decided to go straight there after work. What do I find when I arrive.... A course that's closed for maintenance :( (we do this one week per year at all 3 course). I was so upset because the closer of my other 2 courses was 35 min away at minimum plus its 6 pm!

Well I called around and found a local muni that was still selling range balls. I got a bag of them and went out there to see what these babies were made of.

Btw I actually had some random guy stop and admire them for a minute and ask me about them. He hadn't heard that Hogan was back in business, but was impressed by how they looked. I explained the story of how they came to be, who they are, and he said he'd have to check them out. SCOR one for Ben Hogan golf! Sorry for the crappy pun but I'm running on fumes at this point in the review.

attachicon.gif20160713_183653.jpg

Anyway... I loosened up a bit and took some dry swings before lining up for the first shot. This place has a range where you have two greens short of the water, left and right at under 100 yards. Then behind that, the range turns into a pond and the targets are buoys out in the water. Naturally the balls float, I'm sure you've all seen the type.

So, I take aim at the closest buoy with my first ball and let her fly! These buoys aren't big mind you, maybe 6" wide and 24" tall. Wouldn't you know it, I hit the damn thing dead center. Well then... That's one way to get a relationship started! :D

Now the real question is, do I play with them in the club championship this weekend after only having them a week?! haha

The video quality isn't as good on youtube as it was on my phone so sorry about that. I'll try to get a better one for stage 2!

https://youtu.be/9jj_VRXIHe0

C'mon Plano - when you win the Club Championship with these babies you have a story to tell for years around the club!!

• Like 2

C'mon Plano - when you win the Club Championship with these babies you have a story to tell for years around the club!!

That's the plan. I'm gonna take them for a spin today and make the decision if its worth it or not to play with them tomorrow. I'll prolly end up playing with them in the first round at least. Sunday... We'll have to wait and see about!

• Like 1

That's the plan. I'm gonna take them for a spin today and make the decision if its worth it or not to play with them tomorrow. I'll prolly end up playing with them in the first round at least. Sunday... We'll have to wait and see about!

I'm leaving Wed for a tourney in Duluth, MN.  Practice round Wed, qualify Thurs, matches Fri and Sat and if you win on Sat you play Sunday.

I'm torn about taking them, only 2 rounds played with them so we are still in the "getting to know each other" phase.  One more round early morning Wed at my home course before leaving so that will be the true test I guess.

• Like 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm leaving Wed for a tourney in Duluth, MN.  Practice round Wed, qualify Thurs, matches Fri and Sat and if you win on Sat you play Sunday.

I'm torn about taking them, only 2 rounds played with them so we are still in the "getting to know each other" phase.  One more round early morning Wed at my home course before leaving so that will be the true test I guess.

No truer test in golf than under pressure.  :)

Just think how good that review will be ... !!

Good luck in your tourney.

Stage 1 is up!

Well they are at least in for the first round. Shot 74 today with a "good" triple on 14. Irons did their jobs.

• Like 3

Well they are at least in for the first round. Shot 74 today with a "good" triple on 14. Irons did their jobs.

Go big or go home right?

• Like 1

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Bumping due to adding some swing video to my Phase 1 review

I'm surprised there hasn't been any questions for us

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Yea I was kinda surprised too Theo.

Waiting to read some feedback first regarding your first couple of experiences hitting balls and getting them on the course.

Initial background write-ups were excellent.

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F - 58D

:ping-small: ChipR

:ping-small: PLD Milled Anser 2

:titelist-small: ProV1

Waiting to read some feedback first regarding your first couple of experiences hitting balls and getting them on the course.

Initial background write-ups were excellent.

What he said...they look sexy as hell. Want to see what you guys have to say about em before formulating questions.

What he said...they look sexy as hell. Want to see what you guys have to say about em before formulating questions.

Well any generalized questions are welcomed to start. My only observation so far is that these are still players irons without a doubt. They offer plenty of forgivness to the 15-20+ handicap but there is still plenty of feedback. This coming from someone whose had a mix of MBs in his sets for years.

• Like 1

Once you guys get into the next phase you may regret that statement. I'm really interested in these irons, like what I've read so far and hope they are as good as they seem.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Once you guys get into the next phase you may regret that statement. I'm really interested in these irons, like what I've read so far and hope they are as good as they seem.

Not at all! I welcome any and all questions. I'll be hitting them today on the LM to get some numbers

Alright guys... you asked...

For the reviewers - any/all of you... no one in particular.

This is from the Hogan site:  

"The first game improvement iron that gives you the confidence and forgiveness you desire, with the feel, precision and consistency you refuse to give up"

Not sure how many of you play 'game improvement' irons but how do you feel about this?  Would you classify these as 'game improvement'  If you had to put a handicap range on these what would be your estimate?

How is the forgiveness on off-center hits?  Is it a big loss of yardage/accuracy?

What's your dispersion like?  Are most of your shots within the same area?

You all got personalized lofts.  Do you like the lofts on the irons versus the iron number?  How do you determine which club to use if you are used to grabbing a numbered iron versus one with a loft on it?  Are the lofts accurate in relation to the distance you hit your numbered irons?  How long did it take for you to get used to the loft numbers?

From the Hogan site: "In the lower lofts, however, a progressive hollow construction ensures higher ball flights, while the thicker face technology delivers a steeper landing angle with more spin to hold the green on your long approaches."

Do you notice any difference in the 'scoring' clubs (P/9i/8i/7i) versus the lower lofted clubs? (6i/5i/4i)  Do they feel different?  Sound different?  Is what is being advertised above correct?   

I realize the shafts make a big difference in ball flight but how are the trajectories with the shafts you ordered?  High?  Ballooning?  Piercing?

How are they out of the rough?  Or a fairway bunker?  Does the "V" sole make a difference?

What do you think of the grips?  Would you change them?  Keep them?

Thanks guys!  Appreciate the feedback...

• Like 2

Alright guys... you asked...

For the reviewers - any/all of you... no one in particular.

This is from the Hogan site:  

"The first game improvement iron that gives you the confidence and forgiveness you desire, with the feel, precision and consistency you refuse to give up"

Not sure how many of you play 'game improvement' irons but how do you feel about this?  Would you classify these as 'game improvement'  If you had to put a handicap range on these what would be your estimate?

How is the forgiveness on off-center hits?  Is it a big loss of yardage/accuracy?

What's your dispersion like?  Are most of your shots within the same area?

You all got personalized lofts.  Do you like the lofts on the irons versus the iron number?  How do you determine which club to use if you are used to grabbing a numbered iron versus one with a loft on it?  Are the lofts accurate in relation to the distance you hit your numbered irons?  How long did it take for you to get used to the loft numbers?

From the Hogan site: "In the lower lofts, however, a progressive hollow construction ensures higher ball flights, while the thicker face technology delivers a steeper landing angle with more spin to hold the green on your long approaches."

Do you notice any difference in the 'scoring' clubs (P/9i/8i/7i) versus the lower lofted clubs? (6i/5i/4i)  Do they feel different?  Sound different?  Is what is being advertised above correct?   

I realize the shafts make a big difference in ball flight but how are the trajectories with the shafts you ordered?  High?  Ballooning?  Piercing?

How are they out of the rough?  Or a fairway bunker?  Does the "V" sole make a difference?

What do you think of the grips?  Would you change them?  Keep them?

Thanks guys!  Appreciate the feedback...

Well.... At least I know that the stuff in my review is what you are wanting to know. haha These were all talking points for me.

• Like 1