TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club championship time

Fireinthehole

I ended up placing 3rd. Kind of surprised really. Oh well... I think I might break even on the deal. There might be a small payout/pro shop gift certificate or something. If so I'll donate it back to the junior golf program.

Nice job man! Good looking out for the junior golfers too.

Next club championship is this weekend, weather is set to be 100* by noon, and of course day 1 I am heading out at 11:00. This is the big one with 300+ entries.

Elbows feeling great, clubs are all set, been doing short game practice, stretching and strengthening, with no actual rounds played per doctors orders. Feel better prepped for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice job man! Good looking out for the junior golfers too.

Next club championship is this weekend, weather is set to be 100* by noon, and of course day 1 I am heading out at 11:00. This is the big one with 300+ entries.

Elbows feeling great, clubs are all set, been doing short game practice, stretching and strengthening, with no actual rounds played per doctors orders. Feel better prepped for this one.

300? Holy shat, how do they manage that?! We closed off ours at 144 and that was an absolutely full field. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

300? Holy shat, how do they manage that?! We closed off ours at 144 and that was an absolutely full field.

Sorry I meant between 3 divisions. Lol, sorry about that!

My Mixed-Bag:

I know this will sound trivial in the most of ways but I was looking forward to our club championship this weekend. I got the draw today and they put me with the only person I literally can't stand at the club, which the pros know. So had to pull out. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I know this will sound trivial in the most of ways but I was looking forward to our club championship this weekend. I got the draw today and they put me with the only person I literally can't stand at the club, which the pros know. So had to pull out. 

Can you not request a change or request pairings? Generally we can request first round pairings if we want to. 

Can you not request a change or request pairings? Generally we can request first round pairings if we want to. 

Called and asked. They wouldn't change up the groups. Really sucks because I have been playing well and had a real shot at giving it a good run. As well it would have been my first club championship at the course.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Called and asked. They wouldn't change up the groups. Really sucks because I have been playing well and had a real shot at giving it a good run. As well it would have been my first club championship at the course.

That a bummer. I think you should head out there anyway, be a real headache about rules

My Mixed-Bag:

That a bummer. I think you should head out there anyway, be a real headache about rules

What do you mean?

In my bag:

It's life man, don't let one guy keep you from playing. Just agree for yourself that you cons enjoy the day regardless of who you are with, last year the same thing happened to me, day one I was paired with a guy that I basically told off just a few weeks before, I just went out and played my game and didn't worry about him, I tried to be cordial and chat a little, but I was not gong to let him determine my play or whether I played, go have fun.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

What do you mean?

I mean you worry about honors etc, but like Kor said just go out and play your game. If it were a more casual affair I can see skipping but you only play this once a year, don't let him rain on it.

My Mixed-Bag:

36 for the Stroke Play championship tomorrow. Top 15 move on to the match play bracket with the defending club champ.

Spent a few hours at the range yesterday and my buddy got my swing back on track. Had a really good practice session for the first time in a long while.

Playing with two good buddies at 9:10 tomorrow so it'll be laid back which is good. Looking forward to it. If nothing else I get to play 36 holes of golf tomorrow.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Got day one of our 36 hole stroke play Club Championship tomorrow. I won Second Flight two years ago, and took second in the First Flight last year. Need to get first in First Flight then I'll move up and play with the big dogs in the Championship Flight...

Whats in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815

3-Wood: Callaway Razr Fit

Hybrid: Adams Pro, 18 Degree

4-PW: Ping S56

SW: Cleveland CG10 (Need a set of wedges BAD!!!)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #6

Twitter: @rlshea

Mid-Minnesota Golf Club

I agree with the others that said you should play anyway.  I generally get along with everyone, but one tournament I was paired with a real jerk, I just decided early, I'd act like he wasn't there.  I know, easier said than done.  But I wasn't going to let one person keep me away from an event I had been looking forward to.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm going to pile on.  I hope you won't let this guy keep you from playing.  Do your best to be civil and considerate.  You say you're playing well coming in, well play your own game, and quietly kick his ass.  Then at the end, shake his hand and walk away.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Jay, may guess is as a new member to the club, it sounds possibly like everyone else in past years that played with him, requested to not be paired the next year.  The probably ran out of people to put him with.   The guy must be a real piece of work. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Go time.

Well, today didn't exactly go as planned. Shot 43-48 for 91 in the morning and 48-40 for 88 in the afternoon. Worked last night and got no sleep so my expectations weren't too high. Didn't get comfortable until the back 9 in the afternoon round when I shot 3 over. Still, it was the first tournament stroke play event I've been in so it was a good experience. Missed qualifying for the championship flight in the match play bracket by a few strokes. Looking forward to next year.

Well, today didn't exactly go as planned. Shot 43-48 for 91 in the morning and 48-40 for 88 in the afternoon. Worked last night and got no sleep so my expectations weren't too high. Didn't get comfortable until the back 9 in the afternoon round when I shot 3 over. Still, it was the first tournament stroke play event I've been in so it was a good experience. Missed qualifying for the championship flight in the match play bracket by a few strokes. Looking forward to next year.

Hey you got your feet wet man. It's definitely a little different animal than normal rounds. Maybe some rest will help you take care of your flight tomorrow.

Hey you got your feet wet man. It's definitely a little different animal than normal rounds. Maybe some rest will help you take care of your flight tomorrow.

That's for damn sure. Needed some Jack Daniels Honey to calm my nerves after the first 4 holes of the day.

That's for damn sure. Needed some Jack Daniels Honey to calm my nerves after the first 4 holes of the day.

Haha it'll get better. I don't even get nervous anymore. Actually rounds like that are about the only time I'm paying full attention.

Well second club championships is in the books.
We had a 3 day stretch of a about 100* so the course was nice and rock hard Saturday, just couldn't get much bite with the wedges, ended the day with an 86 and a good headache from hydrating poorly. Pitched and putted below average, couldn't adjust my wedge play around the green.
Today got some reprieve with a high of 88*. I went in with a little more determination this time and shot an 81. Took a big gamble and switched putters from the previous day and it payed off found a reliable pitching technique that was safe and reliable.

Positive take away's:

1. Won closest to the pin with a 174 yd 5 iron, finished 27" from the cup.
2. Drove the ball well both ways, didn't win the long drive, another guy hit a draw over trees on a dog leg right, 330+ drive which was subject to a lot of speculation- his partners were friends .
3. Able to swallow my pride and find my shot for the day from the results of the warm up at the range, about a 3/4 swing
4. Finished in the top 3rd of our flight, the heat must've gotten to people Saturday, had some big scores.

This gem happened Saturday, hit the lip of a green side bunker and plugged it. Got out of it and was lucky to walk off with a bogey.

IMG_0527.JPG

My Mixed-Bag:

Our champs start in September. Two rounds of stroke, top 8 qualify for matchplay. Our champs are graded in set handicap bands, so I'm in no mans land off 5. If I manage two solid rounds to my handicap I may sneak through.

This year the matchplay could be a bit more open than normal, our reigning champ (5 in a row) is just coming back from a broken ankle. Quarters and semis are played on the same day, with a 36 hole final the week later. If I get through I better hope my fitness is up to it.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

We had our 36 hole Club Championship last weekend. I shot an 82, 82 which was good enough for fourth in the First Flight. It was a super frustrating 2 days for me. I felt like I was playing far better than that but, couldn't get a a putt to drop. Both days I had several good birdy opportunities, but just couldn't sink them. 

I hung around though. I was playing with the eventual champion and got within 2 strokes on hole 11 on the last day. I just slowly started falling apart, and then on hole 13 I carded a triple (also tripled it on the 1st day) From then on out I was playing catch up. My only saving grace was I hit my best hybrid shot of my life on 17. Stuck a shot from 230 out to 5 feet. I missed the putt... 

Whats in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815

3-Wood: Callaway Razr Fit

Hybrid: Adams Pro, 18 Degree

4-PW: Ping S56

SW: Cleveland CG10 (Need a set of wedges BAD!!!)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #6

Twitter: @rlshea

Mid-Minnesota Golf Club

So I ended up playing this weekend. Saturday I made a triple on 16 but bounced back with birdies on 17 & 18 to shoot 74. The 74 left me two shots of the lead but in the final group. So I bomb my drive on the first hole. Waiting in the fairway to hit our second shots and this is going to sound stupid but I get stung by a wasp right on my left index finger, right on the knuckle. It swells up massively. I end up going Bogey, bogey, bogey to start the round as I am trying to ice y hand and dump any cold water on it. I go back to back birdies on 5 & 6 to get it to one over. I make bogey on 9 back up to two over. I am 4 off the lead now, we get to 18 and I am even par now. 18 is a great par 5 I love. I crush my drive and have 195 into the pin. Tried to hit a hard 5 iron and just caught it a tad fat, ended up 5 yards short. The leader had 10 feet for birdie, so I thought I had to knock it in to get the playoff. I hit this great little chip that literally came up 8 inches short. I tap in for birdie to pull even at this point. Leader stepped up and hit a great putt and made birdie to win by one. Solid tournament and a lot of fun. 74, 71 for a +1 on the weekend to lose by 1

In my bag:

So I ended up playing this weekend. Saturday I made a triple on 16 but bounced back with birdies on 17 & 18 to shoot 74. The 74 left me two shots of the lead but in the final group. So I bomb my drive on the first hole. Waiting in the fairway to hit our second shots and this is going to sound stupid but I get stung by a wasp right on my left index finger, right on the knuckle. It swells up massively. I end up going Bogey, bogey, bogey to start the round as I am trying to ice y hand and dump any cold water on it. I go back to back birdies on 5 & 6 to get it to one over. I make bogey on 9 back up to two over. I am 4 off the lead now, we get to 18 and I am even par now. 18 is a great par 5 I love. I crush my drive and have 195 into the pin. Tried to hit a hard 5 iron and just caught it a tad fat, ended up 5 yards short. The leader had 10 feet for birdie, so I thought I had to knock it in to get the playoff. I hit this great little chip that literally came up 8 inches short. I tap in for birdie to pull even at this point. Leader stepped up and hit a great putt and made birdie to win by one. Solid tournament and a lot of fun. 74, 71 for a +1 on the weekend to lose by 1

Great effort man!

Great job!!  Too bad about the sting.  I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago in Palm Springs; got stung on my left finger by the big knuckle and my hand swelled up to where I couldn't hold onto the club.  Made a mad dash to the drugstore for Benadryl as I had a tournament the next day.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Nice work! Sorry about the sting, but way to see it out.

My Mixed-Bag:

We have ours this weekend the 27th, and 28th, I've been up and down with the game he last month or so, anywhere from 76-85, so I am just going out to have fun and play golf, if I play well that's a bonus this time, it doesn't matter what flight I end up in, they pay 1, 2, 3rd place for each flight, and they all pay the same amount, the format is stroke play and will flight after the Saturday round.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Our club championship is this weekend as well at AUC (Aug 27-28) Last year everyone played the white tees on Saturday to flight for the championship on Sunday. The championship flight played from the tips on Sunday while everyone else stayed on the white tees along with the senior division as well. This year it's pre flighted by GHIN and if you're going to compete for the cc, you have to play from the tips both days. It's a modest 7300 yards. I've been playing several rounds from back there and have found there's far less trouble off the tee, but obviously the par 3s are all over 200 with exception to one and it plays close to it depending on the pin placement. The 2nd shots into the par 4s prove to be more of a challenge as well! I hit a lot more mid and long irons in finding out that hitting fairways is definitely a premium. I just hope to have two sub 80 rounds and I'll be happy!

WITB:

G LS Tec 10.5 Kuro Kage TiNi 60x
G Stretch Kuro Kage TiNi 70x
07' Burner TP Tour Issue 18* Ozik 8M2
Anser 20* Attas 80Hy Prototype
iBlade 4-PW PX 6.0
Glide 50* SS and 58* ES zz65
Cameron Newport Select 35 inch "murdered out"
Ping 4 Series White

Our champs start in September. Two rounds of stroke, top 8 qualify for matchplay. Our champs are graded in set handicap bands, so I'm in no mans land off 5. If I manage two solid rounds to my handicap I may sneak through.

This year the matchplay could be a bit more open than normal, our reigning champ (5 in a row) is just coming back from a broken ankle. Quarters and semis are played on the same day, with a 36 hole final the week later. If I get through I better hope my fitness is up to it.

Same in NJ. The 36 hole is a grind usually in the think of hot and humid. I walk, but a lot of the others drive because of a "medical issue/exemption". Key for me is getting a good nights rest and just focusing. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived