TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club championship time

Fireinthehole

So I ended up playing this weekend. Saturday I made a triple on 16 but bounced back with birdies on 17 & 18 to shoot 74. The 74 left me two shots of the lead but in the final group. So I bomb my drive on the first hole. Waiting in the fairway to hit our second shots and this is going to sound stupid but I get stung by a wasp right on my left index finger, right on the knuckle. It swells up massively. I end up going Bogey, bogey, bogey to start the round as I am trying to ice y hand and dump any cold water on it. I go back to back birdies on 5 & 6 to get it to one over. I make bogey on 9 back up to two over. I am 4 off the lead now, we get to 18 and I am even par now. 18 is a great par 5 I love. I crush my drive and have 195 into the pin. Tried to hit a hard 5 iron and just caught it a tad fat, ended up 5 yards short. The leader had 10 feet for birdie, so I thought I had to knock it in to get the playoff. I hit this great little chip that literally came up 8 inches short. I tap in for birdie to pull even at this point. Leader stepped up and hit a great putt and made birdie to win by one. Solid tournament and a lot of fun. 74, 71 for a +1 on the weekend to lose by 1

Good effort and great comeback. Those are the best where you can make a game of it late, and force the leader to worry.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this will sound trivial in the most of ways but I was looking forward to our club championship this weekend. I got the draw today and they put me with the only person I literally can't stand at the club, which the pros know. So had to pull out.

I know how you feel. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the club "politics" at our club too. This year's club champ is a guy I can't stand either. The top group pairing was me with a 5.5 handicap, followed by a guy with 5.1 and the defending champ with a 2.8. we the a hole had at the time a 4.9 but was put in the group behind us so he could play with his buddy that he always plays with and our known for giving Mulligans. The year before I requested not playing with another guy and the a hole made the schedule and put me with him. He even told me that my tee time was around 9:45 and I was lucky enough to show up at 9:00 to go hot some balls. I went in to register and everyone told me to hurry up because I was up. My tee time was really 9:05. I would normally just skip getting a membership next year but I am trying to get in there for a job replacing the a hole in question.

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Our Club Championship is played over Labor Day weekend.  I'm playing some of the best golf of my life, so I've taken the plunge into the Championship Flight.  We have a qualifying period, where the best score is used to seed the top 16 players for match play on that weekend.  After a couple of semi-decent rounds of 81, I went out Sunday and shot a career-best 75 off the back tees (73.8, 141).  That moved me from about #14 to #5 or 6.  My first match will be against a real nice 14-year old, 2 handicap, and a real nice kid.  Even though he's a nice kid, I'm gunna do my best to beat his ass!  I have the advantage of experience, and tons more match play, but he's a lot longer.  It'll be fun, win lose or draw.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Our Club Championship is played over Labor Day weekend.  I'm playing some of the best golf of my life, so I've taken the plunge into the Championship Flight.  We have a qualifying period, where the best score is used to seed the top 16 players for match play on that weekend.  After a couple of semi-decent rounds of 81, I went out Sunday and shot a career-best 75 off the back tees (73.8, 141).  That moved me from about #14 to #5 or 6.  My first match will be against a real nice 14-year old, 2 handicap, and a real nice kid.  Even though he's a nice kid, I'm gunna do my best to beat his ass!  I have the advantage of experience, and tons more match play, but he's a lot longer.  It'll be fun, win lose or draw.

Good luck Dave. Congrats on the PB from the back. That's a heck of a score.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

That's awesome man! Good luck!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Some courses will disqualify a player if they shoot under their handicap by a considerable margin on back to back days under tournament conditions

We had 2 guys banned for a year from our club for falsifying their handicaps. It turned out they had done the same thing elsewhere.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

We had 2 guys banned for a year from our club for falsifying their handicaps. It turned out they had done the same thing elsewhere.

I know it's done, but what's wrong with people..  Good on the club for banning them. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Do you know, is there a procedure for reporting this to the statewide association?  It would be nice to know that these same guys couldn't just start over at a different course.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

My last club championship is this weekend. I've barely been playing or practicing at all due to all the rain so I am not expecting much. Plus I hate the golf course we are playing on, so there's that. 

My last club championship is this weekend. I've barely been playing or practicing at all due to all the rain so I am not expecting much. Plus I hate the golf course we are playing on, so there's that.

You'll probably have your best tournament ever. :) @ Dave, I don't know. This was about 20 years ago and the reason these two guys were banned was that it was discovered they had done the same thing at a club about 45 minutes away.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Shot 79 today in our CC. 3 back going into tomorrow. It was brutal today from tips, steaming hot and windy made 7300 play tough! Hopefully I'll shoot closer to par tomorrow, turned at 37 and the wheels came off a little as I made 3 doubles on the back but fortunately made 2 birdies to help some. I'm going back to our orange tees (6800) after this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

G LS Tec 10.5 Kuro Kage TiNi 60x
G Stretch Kuro Kage TiNi 70x
07' Burner TP Tour Issue 18* Ozik 8M2
Anser 20* Attas 80Hy Prototype
iBlade 4-PW PX 6.0
Glide 50* SS and 58* ES zz65
Cameron Newport Select 35 inch "murdered out"
Ping 4 Series White

Well I started off as poorly as possible. 1st hole is a par 5. My first 4 shots hit trees... Yea That bad. Then made a miracle bogey. Second hole, par 4. First two shots hit trees. Then hit 2 good shots which left me with a 3 footer which I missed. Next hole hit another awful tee shot and made a "good" bogey. After that I pulled me head out of my ass but it was still a major grind. I just hit it so poorly today and had so many putts that didn't drop. I was +6 through 16 with a par 3 17th and par 5 18th left. I told the guys I was with I needed to go birdie, eagle to give my chance at it tomorrow. Sure enough, rolled in a 15 footer from the fringe for bird on 17 and a 20 footer for eagle on 18.

Currently I'm 3 back going into tomorrow and need a strong finish to have a shot. My guess is -2 to -4 to take home a win.

I just pray I hit it better tomorrow. A buddy who played with me today said he figured I would shoot +16 after the first few holes... Yea it was not going well haha

More of the same today. Another +3 and poor ball shrinking. I did drive a couple of greens which was nice but I hit my irons as poorly as I possibly could have today. I think I tied for 5th of 6th overall. Oh well, maybe next year.

I played in the senior club championship . Played from the white tees, net score. Gross score is from the blue tees.  I was 6 over par after 7 holes and 6 over par after 18 holes. I parred out except for a bird on 10 and bogey on 18. 76 net 64, 6 under  par, leader in the club house for the first day. The second round was not so good , shot an 86 ended up in 7 place.  76 was my best round ever. After the first day I was thrilled with my round and you know what, so was everyone else I play golf with.

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

I played in the senior club championship . Played from the white tees, net score. Gross score is from the blue tees.  I was 6 over par after 7 holes and 6 over par after 18 holes. I parred out except for a bird on 10 and bogey on 18. 76 net 64, 6 under  par, leader in the club house for the first day. The second round was not so good , shot an 86 ended up in 7 place.  76 was my best round ever. After the first day I was thrilled with my round and you know what, so was everyone else I play golf with.

Nice playing to get the personal best!

Saturday, shot 79 (39,40) with 2 three putts and a 4 putt, zero birdies, so the 79 was really good. Sunday, shot 80, zero 3 putts, and shot an 8 on the par 4 seventh hole, so 80 (43,37) with a quad was pretty good as well.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Shot 76 yesterday (37/39) after the 79 on Saturday and much to my surprise found myself in a 3 way sudden death playoff for the ship!  It only took the first hole, one guy made double, I bogey'd and the winner made par.  It was a lot of fun and the first time that I have ever really been in contention for the championship and our course from the back is a true test!  It was really windy all weekend as well which is really rare for this time of year in Alabama.  Seemed like it was in our face on every hole.  Anyway, finished 2nd and that'll give me something to work off of for next year!

WITB:

G LS Tec 10.5 Kuro Kage TiNi 60x
G Stretch Kuro Kage TiNi 70x
07' Burner TP Tour Issue 18* Ozik 8M2
Anser 20* Attas 80Hy Prototype
iBlade 4-PW PX 6.0
Glide 50* SS and 58* ES zz65
Cameron Newport Select 35 inch "murdered out"
Ping 4 Series White

Archived