TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club championship time

Fireinthehole

Well it's that time of year again,

This weekend is the first of two club championships. Primary goals are to not S**t the bed, and win the long drive competition. Sucks I've had to take some time off to let some tendonitis calm done so haven't gotten to practice much. Ive been playing from the black tees and am down to a 8.9 hcp, so pro is having me enter that.

think I have settled on the following tools:

Driver: Taylormade M2

Hybrid: Adams Super Ls

Irons: Mizuno mp h5 1 iron

Nike VR Pro CBs

Wedges: Vokey sm5's

Putter: Scotty Cameron Squareback

Ball: Srixon XV

Glove: Footjoy Pure Touch

Going with what I know and have been using recently, avoiding any changes right now.

Just wanted to get some input as to what you guys do to prepare? Who's got one coming up? Warm up routine? Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being in Florida my stuff is all in October and February.

Nothing, I do nothing different. My normal routine is short game practice Monday play tuesday, play or range Friday, short game Saturday, play or range Sunday. Monday and Saturday short game sessions are to or from work so they are short, half an hour.

The less I vary that routine the better I play. I also have a few golf related exercises that I perform throughout the day in my study at work. :)

Good luck

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Ours will held again sometime in August. Yes. I'll compete. However, this year I'm only competing in the Senior division which will be two days. What will I do to prepare? Nothing much really. Hopefully the weather will not be as hot as it's been and I can get out and practice and play a little more a couple of weeks before. No changes to my bag. I know most of the guys in the Senior division and we all pretty much play the same game day in and day out. Should be fun.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Mine is in August and in my first year at the club I will not be playing.  I will be away qualifying weekend and combined with the state of my game it is for the best.  I would be an early exit anyway and that is even if I was healthy.

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Man just try and practice a little this week, especially short game. Other than that, just go out the day of like its business as usual. Same game day routine as always. One of mine is this weekend as well. Just heard from the pro that we will have 144 playing. Gonna be a slow and hot one. 

As for my set up, I'm trying to decide whether I should put the new Hogans in play or not. Decisions decisions  :wacko:

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Being in Florida my stuff is all in October and February.

Nothing, I do nothing different. My normal routine is short game practice Monday play tuesday, play or range Friday, short game Saturday, play or range Sunday. Monday and Saturday short game sessions are to or from work so they are short, half an hour.

The less I vary that routine the better I play. I also have a few golf related exercises that I perform throughout the day in my study at work. :)

Good luck

Ours will held again sometime in August. Yes. I'll compete. However, this year I'm only competing in the Senior division which will be two days. What will I do to prepare? Nothing much really. Hopefully the weather will not be as hot as it's been and I can get out and practice and play a little more a couple of weeks before. No changes to my bag. I know most of the guys in the Senior division and we all pretty much play the same game day in and day out. Should be fun.

Mine is in August and in my first year at the club I will not be playing.  I will be away qualifying weekend and combined with the state of my game it is for the best.  I would be an early exit anyway and that is even if I was healthy.

Man just try and practice a little this week, especially short game. Other than that, just go out the day of like its business as usual. Same game day routine as always. One of mine is this weekend as well. Just heard from the pro that we will have 144 playing. Gonna be a slow and hot one. 

As for my set up, I'm trying to decide whether I should put the new Hogans in play or not. Decisions decisions  :wacko:

Thanks for the advice guys! Last year I prepared poorly and was mentally very pioor, this yearfeel like I am in a better position. Fortunately, short game practice is very doable, only thing seems to aggravate the elbow is driving, or extensive use of the driver. May have to use a 3 wood come sunday. WIll keep to the "routine" come playing time.

Luckily my division sets off at 8am so I'll out in front and hopefully moving fast. Just like last year we got a lot of the local college kids playing and Ive played with a few so I'll be in good company. Last year I was paired with a "10 hcp" who shot a gross 77 and 78 over the weekend. 

My Mixed-Bag:

Thanks for the advice guys! Last year I prepared poorly and was mentally very pioor, this yearfeel like I am in a better position. Fortunately, short game practice is very doable, only thing seems to aggravate the elbow is driving, or extensive use of the driver. May have to use a 3 wood come sunday. WIll keep to the "routine" come playing time.

Luckily my division sets off at 8am so I'll out in front and hopefully moving fast. Just like last year we got a lot of the local college kids playing and Ive played with a few so I'll be in good company. Last year I was paired with a "10 hcp" who shot a gross 77 and 78 over the weekend. 

I hope his handicap has been "adjusted" this year.  A 10 should shoot a 77 once in a great while; and not 77, 78 back-to-back in a tournament.

Good luck!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Last year I played in both the Open and Senior division in our Championship. The Open was flighted. In my Open flight (1st or 2nd I recall) a guy shot something like 75-76-75...with a 8 handicap!! Later I was told by others that knew of him that he's a major SB'er. Sadly, our tournaments are not that well run and certainly handicaps are not subject to any oversight. I'll probably see this guy around at our Championship in August. Although I'll not have to compete against him I'll make a note of his handicap and scores.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Last year I played in both the Open and Senior division in our Championship. The Open was flighted. In my Open flight (1st or 2nd I recall) a guy shot something like 75-76-75...with a 8 handicap!! Later I was told by others that knew of him that he's a major SB'er. Sadly, our tournaments are not that well run and certainly handicaps are not subject to any oversight. I'll probably see this guy around at our Championship in August. Although I'll not have to compete against him I'll make a note of his handicap and scores.

That's one reason I love the fact that all of our Club Championships have different divisions and just go off of scratch the first day. We flight after the first round for prize money and then you try and beat people in your flight. Sure there is some sandbagging but they have no real shot at being the club champion in any division if they do. 

I've been very fortunate that the clubs that I've been associated with have done a great job of policing handicaps.  My Indiana club actually banned two guys from playing in any Men's Association events after establishing a pattern of cheating on their handicap over the course of a season.  They both left the club over it but it was clearly the proper action.  These guys were baggers in the worst sense of the word.  My league pretty much self polices but has actually kicked a couple of people out and you could get shot (seriously) for sand bagging at any of the City of St. Pete events that I play in at the Muni - basically you aren't getting into any of things if you aren't a known quantity.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've been very fortunate that the clubs that I've been associated with have done a great job of policing handicaps.  My Indiana club actually banned two guys from playing in any Men's Association events after establishing a pattern of cheating on their handicap over the course of a season.  They both left the club over it but it was clearly the proper action.  These guys were baggers in the worst sense of the word.  My league pretty much self polices but has actually kicked a couple of people out and you could get shot (seriously) for sand bagging at any of the City of St. Pete events that I play in at the Muni - basically you aren't getting into any of things if you aren't a known quantity.

I wish mine was monitored more, not that I am expecting to win, but takes the fun out of the net scoring. The guy in question would yell out "I'm so mad I can spit" when he made some unforced error- it was amusing.

In any case its good to see by comparison the squables here in the mens club are more tame, though i did pass two 80 year olds duking it out (more like locked in a shoving match) over one hitting into the other. 

I dont know how, but the course is rated for 72.3 with a 134 slope, so my HCP is lower from those scores. 

My Mixed-Bag:

That's a tough course fire

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'll be competing in the 36 hole stroke play this year and hopefully play well enough to make it to the match play bracket. I have a lot of work to do in the next month if I'm even going to try to look respectable against the plus handicap guys.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I dont know how, but the course is rated for 72.3 with a 134 slope, so my HCP is lower from those scores. 

My course is rated like your course and we play it as a par 70. So if you shoot an 80 you did not shoot 10 over par you shot 7.7 over par.  That will lower your handi cap.  We are in the club championships now with Championship flight, black tees, up to 6 handi cap, A flight 6 to 9.5, B 9.6 to 12.5 blue tees  C flight  12.6 to 16 white tees, these flights are gross scores.  D flight over 16  net score. Final 2 rounds this coming weekend. 

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

Went out to do some practice, will have to do a practice 9 Thursday.

They've gone out of their way to press the greens harder at the course, and have them play 13-14 on the stimp, starting to take its toll on the greens.

My Mixed-Bag:

Our Club Championship is this weekend.  Hopefully can sneak out and hit some balls tomorrow or Friday.  Will be playing in it and like others have said above, its scratch the first day and then flighted.  Should make for a fun event.  Going to be a hot one.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Our Club Championship is this weekend. Hopefully can sneak out and hit some balls tomorrow or Friday. Will be playing in it and like others have said above, its scratch the first day and then flighted. Should make for a fun event. Going to be a hot one.

Good luck!!

Well it's that time of year again,

This weekend is the first of two club championships. Primary goals are to not S**t the bed, and win the long drive competition. Sucks I've had to take some time off to let some tendonitis calm done so haven't gotten to practice much. Ive been playing from the black tees and am down to a 8.9 hcp, so pro is having me enter that.

think I have settled on the following tools:

Driver: Taylormade M2

Hybrid: Adams Super Ls

Irons: Mizuno mp h5 1 iron

Nike VR Pro CBs

Wedges: Vokey sm5's

Putter: Scotty Cameron Squareback

Ball: Srixon XV

Glove: Footjoy Pure Touch

Going with what I know and have been using recently, avoiding any changes right now.

Just wanted to get some input as to what you guys do to prepare? Who's got one coming up? Warm up routine? Etc.

good luck man! My course didn't have a club championship this year which was a bit of a letdown but I digress. My prep is more focused on mental game and practicing key shots I'll have during the round. The biggest key for me is to make a plan for each hole and stick to it. My warmup for that morning starts with a good 10-15 minutes of stretching. Then I go to the putting green and stroke some short putts for a few minutes, for some reason this relaxes me and helps to calm any nerves I might have. After that i spend 30 minutes working through my bag from wedges up to driver and finish with whatever shot I will play on the first tee. That's the simplified version, hope it helps!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Went out to do some practice, will have to do a practice 9 Thursday.

They've gone out of their way to press the greens harder at the course, and have them play 13-14 on the stimp, starting to take its toll on the greens.

Fire this is a Rant warning that is not directed at you.

This is ridiculous and I know it happens allot. Significantly altering course conditions from normal slows the pace of play and endangers the course for the remainder of the season. Its a huge pet peeve of mine. Frankly it creates an element of luck as well.

I will say that as tough as it was Bayou never did this. The course was the course. We didn't do anything different when we hosted a mini tour event and they had their highest winning score of the season on it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Good luck!!

Thank you. It's going to be hot. But should be a good time.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Good luck this weekend you guys!  Make MGS proud!

Altering course conditions for club championships is not unusual.  Most of the year public courses are set up to minimize slow play; greens are softer and slower, pins are located in easier spots.  It's not that necessary for private courses with small memberships; they tend to set the course conditions the same all year, but will give you the toughest pin locations for a tournament.  For club championships the club wants to change up the conditions because members play the course all year, so it's their way to give them a different look.  I guess it gives players a test to see how well they can adapt.  

I agree that luck becomes more of a factor under these conditions.  I have always believed that all pros have more good luck than amateurs, and the top pros have more luck than the average pro.  While it's true that "the more you practice, the luckier you get", there is still a certain amount of luck that goes beyond practice.  How many times have you seen Tiger hit the ball into some awful places only to make a miraculous recovery shot?  Did he practice that recovery shot?  Not likely.  He was just good enough to pull it off.  Others might have tried that shot with lesser degrees of success.  Kevin Na comes to mind.  However, if I had hit the ball to that same location, I probably wouldn't have even had a swing, let alone a viable shot.  I can remember one hole a few years ago where a tree comes into play to the right of our #9 fairway.  I've hit that tree many times, and every time the ball either goes further right or drops straight down.  Our pro, who never hits that tree, hit it one day, and everyone of us went looking for his ball where we always look for ours.  I spotted a ball on the left side of the fairway with a perfect lie 100 yards from the green, and he went on to make birdie.  Sorry for the digression, but I hope that all of you playing in club championships have the best of luck.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

We have 144 in the field for our club championship so prepare for a long one... I may get to take naps between shots. 

Fire this is a Rant warning that is not directed at you.

This is ridiculous and I know it happens allot. Significantly altering course conditions from normal slows the pace of play and endangers the course for the remainder of the season. Its a huge pet peeve of mine. Frankly it creates an element of luck as well.

I will say that as tough as it was Bayou never did this. The course was the course. We didn't do anything different when we hosted a mini tour event and they had their highest winning score of the season on it.

Thats alright, I should have said that they bought a new roller and have been doing this over the last year. But at the other club I am playing at they will be lengthening the boxes and drying it out. I am with you on not liking the new additions. Always seems to take a month or two for the grass to recover. 

My Mixed-Bag:

Thats alright, I should have said that they bought a new roller and have been doing this over the last year. But at the other club I am playing at they will be lengthening the boxes and drying it out. I am with you on not liking the new additions. Always seems to take a month or two for the grass to recover. 

Stressing the grass out actually promotes better growth in the long run. The roots grow deeper into the ground among other things. 

Stressing the grass out actually promotes better growth in the long run. The roots grow deeper into the ground among other things.

I'm talking about bald patches. In their attempts to lengthen some holes, 4/18 black tee boxes are bare.

My Mixed-Bag:

I'm talking about bald patches. In their attempts to lengthen some holes, 4/18 black tee boxes are bare.

Damn I don't think I'd be too happy about that either then.

Sent from my LG-AS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Damn I don't think I'd be too happy about that either then.

Sent from my LG-AS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Meant to take a photo of one that was 90% sand and some crab grass. One tee box straight died so they have moved them up

My Mixed-Bag:

First round in the books

Played with 1 guy 2 people in our group dropped out ill, but we had a fun 18,

Shot a 9 over on the front and a 1 over on the back. Everything was just going my way on the back 9. 3 bogeys and 2 birdies.

Had a 5 hour round though, because the club president's group, which was one group ahead of us was at least 30 minutes behind the group in front them at the turn. Ended up almost 1 hr behind

My Mixed-Bag:

We have 144 in the field for our club championship so prepare for a long one... I may get to take naps between shots. 

I signed up to for our Championship. It will be held August 12-14. I'm only playing the Senior this year. Two rounds.

Last week when I played the W. Texas Amateur they spaced out the tee times at 10 minutes and it made a huge difference. My club uses 8 minutes and the starter is right there barking, "hit it, lets go fellows". Two minutes isn't much but it seems to make a big difference.

Archived