Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Club championship time

Fireinthehole

This makes me sad. A few weeks ago was the club championship in NJ I loved. 18 hole stroke play qualifier, top 7 and last years champ get seeds into the match play. First round is Friday, 36 Saturday and 18 Sunday. 

In Arizona they are in fall, but the courses allow you to WRITE IN YOUR OWN HANDICAP. I saw that and have never played in one. I hated that rule when I saw it and I hate it more every day. I rather play in the charity games around here when I'm invited from someone in sales.

If you write in 20, then you might get 3rd place!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This makes me sad. A few weeks ago was the club championship in NJ I loved. 18 hole stroke play qualifier, top 7 and last years champ get seeds into the match play. First round is Friday, 36 Saturday and 18 Sunday. 

In Arizona they are in fall, but the courses allow you to WRITE IN YOUR OWN HANDICAP. I saw that and have never played in one. I hated that rule when I saw it and I hate it more every day. I rather play in the charity games around here when I'm invited from someone in sales.

Its one thing to write your handicap on the entry form, but don't they actually check it?  Its one thing to trust people, but it doesn't take much effort to verify a player's handicap through Ghin, which appears to be used by courses associated with the Arizona Golf Association.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Its one thing to write your handicap on the entry form, but don't they actually check it? Its one thing to trust people, but it doesn't take much effort to verify a player's handicap through Ghin, which appears to be used by courses associated with the Arizona Golf Association.

It's too much to ask our small club to trouble itself with that. The net winner for my flight was a 10hcp who shot 77 and 78

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

It's too much to ask our small club to trouble itself with that. The net winner for my flight was a 10hcp who shot 77 and 78

Some courses will disqualify a player if they shoot under their handicap by a considerable margin on back to back days under tournament conditions 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Well I got royally screwed in my first round pairing. The group I played with was awful. I could tell they didn't play tournament golf as soon as the first tee. Nice guys just bad golfers. Very slow round in 110 heat index can take it out of ya. 1 guy In the group kept picking up putts and practicing after he'd mess up shots. It drove me up a wall. To make it worse they were all good friends who lived together so it made it difficult to correct someone after they violated a rule. I think they shot 85, 87 and "89." I scratched out and grinded as best I could but eventually it got to even my putter and I missed putts inside 6 feet on 15 and 16.

I ended up shooting 75 with a double, a triple and 3 bogeys. So everything was there for a good round if I can just fix the mistakes. I think I'm prolly 4 or 5 off the lead. I didn't stick around for all the scores yesterday. Which if I had to guess means, Its gonna take 68 today if I want a decent shot at winning it.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I just finished mine and to say I am disappointed is an understatement.

I played the first round fairly well. I shot 78 and was 4 off the lead. Day 2 I lost it all. I started with a par on the first hole and the second hole being a par 3 hit my pw about 6 feet from the hole.....than I 3 putted and it went downhill from there. A 9 yes 9 on a par 4 4th hole followed by a triple on 6 and I could not stand it anymore. Finished the front with 49. Ouch. Started the back figuring I'm going to turn it around.... nope. A 9 on a par 5. After a par on 11 I blew it on 12, shook my opponents hands and quit. I was in the final pairing with the reigning club champion and the reigning senior club champion who the latter was the same sh*t who insulted my father's legacy at that golf club in front of me and my brother as well as everyone there. I couldn't concentrate on my own game because I wanted that jerk to fail more than I wanted to win. I let that fool beat me between the ears instead of on the course. I am not sure what I am going to do. As juvenile as this will sound, I almost don't want to play at my local club anymore. That guy is now the champ and I don't really want to play at a club that has that guy representing it. Tell me I'm right or tell me I'm wrong but this wound is still fresh and this is how I feel right now. :(

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I played the first round fairly well. I shot 78 and was 4 off the lead. Day 2 I lost it all. I started with a par on the first hole and the second hole being a par 3 hit my pw about 6 feet from the hole.....than I 3 putted and it went downhill from there. A 9 yes 9 on a par 4 4th hole followed by a triple on 6 and I could not stand it anymore. Finished the front with 49. Ouch. Started the back figuring I'm going to turn it around.... nope. A 9 on a par 5. After a par on 11 I blew it on 12, shook my opponents hands and quit. I was in the final pairing with the reigning club champion and the reigning senior club champion who the latter was the same sh*t who insulted my father's legacy at that golf club in front of me and my brother as well as everyone there. I couldn't concentrate on my own game because I wanted that jerk to fail more than I wanted to win. I let that fool beat me between the ears instead of on the course. I am not sure what I am going to do. As juvenile as this will sound, I almost don't want to play at my local club anymore. That guy is now the champ and I don't really want to play at a club that has that guy representing it. Tell me I'm right or tell me I'm wrong but this wound is still fresh and this is how I feel right now. :(

Man,

That sounds like a rough Sunday. No admonishment here. I can definitely see wanting to beat someone. It's easy to get in that mind set.

But I wouldn't leave, being a club champion, in the grand scheme of things , but probably means less to everyone else but him.

Considering only 82 total came out for mine across 3 divisions, amplified that sentiment among the members here.

My Mixed-Bag:

Its one thing to write your handicap on the entry form, but don't they actually check it?  Its one thing to trust people, but it doesn't take much effort to verify a player's handicap through Ghin, which appears to be used by courses associated with the Arizona Golf Association.

They do that, but it's not a requirement to play. Literally if you don't own a handicap, write one in. The only ones who get hurt are the people like myself that would have a handicap.

I know how you feel. I've given up only once at a game in my life. I played hockey and our goalie was trash and let in about 8 goals in two periods. Our forwards were missing everything and I was playing a solid game. It got so frustrating I stopped chasing after pucks and wouldn't fight for it. I've regretted it ever since. 

That being said, this guy is a total ass as you've mentioned. You can do one of two things: go to another club or work every day to beat him. he's king of the hill now, but that should be your motivation... to be the one who knocks him off the throne. Imagine i if you kicked his ass next year and didn't get sucked into his mind games he plays just because you get confident in your game. That's what really gets me fired up sometimes, when I have a known enemy. (The guy who shot 78 in a stroke play qualifier as a 18 course handicap). I used that motivation to elevate my game, and even though I didn't win, I was told the next day he completely fell apart because i mentally drained him from making so many 4-5 footers. Sometimes, that's all it takes is a kick in the face to get you to focus and deliver.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

They do that, but it's not a requirement to play. Literally if you don't own a handicap, write one in. The only ones who get hurt are the people like myself that would have a handicap.

I know how you feel. I've given up only once at a game in my life. I played hockey and our goalie was trash and let in about 8 goals in two periods. Our forwards were missing everything and I was playing a solid game. It got so frustrating I stopped chasing after pucks and wouldn't fight for it. I've regretted it ever since. 

That being said, this guy is a total ass as you've mentioned. You can do one of two things: go to another club or work every day to beat him. he's king of the hill now, but that should be your motivation... to be the one who knocks him off the throne. Imagine i if you kicked his ass next year and didn't get sucked into his mind games he plays just because you get confident in your game. That's what really gets me fired up sometimes, when I have a known enemy. (The guy who shot 78 in a stroke play qualifier as a 18 course handicap). I used that motivation to elevate my game, and even though I didn't win, I was told the next day he completely fell apart because i mentally drained him from making so many 4-5 footers. Sometimes, that's all it takes is a kick in the face to get you to focus and deliver.

That is probably the best advice you will get. Awesome way to put it!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Thank you brother. This morning I realized that I was wrong. Instead of concentrating on myself like I did the day before, I worried about his game more than mine. I wanted him to lose more than I wanted to win. I screwed up but I learnt a lot this past weekend. My motivation will be to work on my mental focus and block out the others. I've got a whole year to do it and when the time comes he won't know what hit him

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

@mbrodeur86 Sorry to hear about your tough round yesterday. A-holes like that will do anything to get in competitors heads. They only care that it affects your game negatively. I hope you beat his ass next year man.

My day wasn't much better today. Really didn't have it today. Ended up starting 4 back and for some reason they only put 3 people in my grouping which fricken blows when you know you are about to play a 5 hour round. I had the same trouble as yesterday, kept drawing awful lies and having balls end up on roots or catch 1 small limb and kick it straight sideways. I couldn't keep away from the big number. My hat is off to the kid who won it because he played extremely well today considering how tough the course was playing. I've never seen this golf course set up this long before. We played the 1st round at about 6400 which is nothing out of the ordinary. The championship flight always move back to the tips which again is nothing out of the ordinary. The tips are listed at 6907 and from what I was told they stretched it out over 7000 for the championship flight which is ridiculous bc everyone else was getting to play from slightly less than 6300. I honestly don't mind playing at 7000+ yards but the golf course got over 2 if not closer to 3 inches of rain between the 1st and 2nd rounds. Combine that with the length the course was set up at(7000+) and by my estimations it was playing around 7300 yards. I just didn't understand why they set it up this way especially seeing as it was cart path only and its already painfully slow golf. It was moving so slowly one of the guys in our group quit at the start of the back 9. So we ended up playing a twosome that took nearly 5 and 1/2 hours to get done. It was one of the more infuriating rounds I can remember especially seeing as I've been playing very well lately. Our Championship flight was 9 or 10 guys out of the 100 playing. I ended up finishing 5th and waaaay off the lead. More power to the kid who shot 72 to win it today. He had the low score from the back box and must have drove it exceptionally well. 

This upcoming weekend I was gonna try my hand at my first State golf association event but my poor play over the weekend has scared me off. It's a pity too because I really enjoy the golf course they are holding it on very much.  

I'm trying to decide if I should play in our Championship this coming weekend or withdraw. I'm really not playing well at all right now. I'll have to decide by tomorrow I think.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm trying to decide if I should play in our Championship this coming weekend or withdraw. I'm really not playing well at all right now. I'll have to decide by tomorrow I think.

I would say give it a shot. Some people say tournaments make people play worse due to the nerves. For some reason I think it is the opposite because it truly makes me aware of everything I am doing. It increases my focus that playing a regular round with the boys won't do

In my bag:

I would say give it a shot. Some people say tournaments make people play worse due to the nerves. For some reason I think it is the opposite because it truly makes me aware of everything I am doing. It increases my focus that playing a regular round with the boys won't do

I think for the inexperienced player who isn't used to the situation then it can make them play worse. Personally I'm like you and prefer it. I also like money games and anything where it matters more than just going out and playing. I'm also uber competitive so I guess it helps get me going. 

@Plaidjacket Give it a go, why not. 

I think for the inexperienced player who isn't used to the situation then it can make them play worse. Personally I'm like you and prefer it. I also like money games and anything where it matters more than just going out and playing. I'm also uber competitive so I guess it helps get me going. 

@Plaidjacket Give it a go, why not. 

we sound like we are cut from the same cloth. I play worse when I am just hitting it around with the boys. The second we start putting some cash on the line its like a switch goes off. 

In my bag:

Love reading the Club Championship stories (well don't hearing about some of the J'Off's you guys had to deal with) But congrats to everyone that did well and congrats to everyone for getting in the mix.   

Just like they say, There's golf and there's competitive golf, and they aren't anything  alike.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

The 36 hole stroke play next weekend should be interesting. It'll be my first ever tournament stroke play experience.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

The 36 hole stroke play next weekend should be interesting. It'll be my first ever tournament stroke play experience.

Good luck lefty. Smoke em

Play it man. You've got to at least try it. It takes time but for me even with all the crap I've been through I realized 24 hours later that getting that championship has never been more important. The mental focus is really my weakness. I've got the skills to go up with them but lack focus and experience. Playing these tournaments will really gauge your abilities and who knows, you can't win if you don't try

The "City Championship" is in two weeks. I'll be hitting balls and chipping a bunch between now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On advise of a few members I'll be teeing it up this morning (9:40) in the Championship - Seniors Division only. I'm not sure how many seniors will be actually competing. Our tournament isn't well run but as of this morning there are only 5 of us (that I know of) competing in Seniors only which is two days. Today and tomorrow. There is an option to also compete in the open division which is three days but I decided to only compete in the Seniors - two days. So, my group of Seniors only will have to play 5-some this morning. Ugh! Probably tomorrow too.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Good luck Plaid.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On advise of a few members I'll be teeing it up this morning (9:40) in the Championship - Seniors Division only. I'm not sure how many seniors will be actually competing. Our tournament isn't well run but as of this morning there are only 5 of us (that I know of) competing in Seniors only which is two days. Today and tomorrow. There is an option to also compete in the open division which is three days but I decided to only compete in the Seniors - two days. So, my group of Seniors only will have to play 5-some this morning. Ugh! Probably tomorrow too.

Good luck plaid!

My Mixed-Bag:

Finished my first round today carding an 80 (+10). Chopped it on the front (+7) and then on the back was 1 under through 14. I rinsed my approach on 15 making a double than bogeyed 17 & 18... LOL. I have no idea where I stand. The lowest round in my group today was 76.

I'll update this post after I get an email later with the days results.

Finished my first round today carding an 80 (+10). Chopped it on the front (+7) and then on the back was 1 under through 14. I rinsed my approach on 15 making a double than bogeyed 17 & 18... LOL. I have no idea where I stand. The lowest round in my group today was 76.

I'll update this post after I get an email later with the days results.

Good stuff making a comeback. and good luck

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Way to battle it out rather than packing it in

In my bag:

After the first round I was 4 back. I didn't play any better today. 81. Two day total is 161. +21.

I've really been struggling lately but glad I played anyway. I enjoyed playing with the guys I was paired with.

After turning in my card I left. (but not until I ate my complementary burger) I'll get an email later this evening with the final results.

I'll be back next year.

I ended up placing 3rd. Kind of surprised really. Oh well... I think I might break even on the deal. There might be a small payout/pro shop gift certificate or something. If so I'll donate it back to the junior golf program.

Good stuff Plaid!

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Archived