JudgeSmails

Henrik Stenson's 3 Wood

I think it's really interesting (and kinda cool), that with all the new technology and the endless amount of free equipment these guys get, that Henrik is still using a 3 wood from 2011 you can get on Ebay for about 30 bucks (expensive shaft not included, but you get the idea).

Capture.JPG

• Like 6

Grafalloy Blue is a very inexpensive shaft, can get on eBay for a couple shekels.

But to your point it's neat to see and proves that it's usually the Indian not the arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 5

don't know much about shafts, just assumed it was 'high end'.....maybe makes it even better

http://grafalloy.com/products/blue/

That's the rerelease. It's white instead of blue in color but I think the bend profile is the same. 

This was one of the original low/low graphite shafts back in the day. 

• Like 1

Didn't Robin design this one?

I not 100% sure. He did design the Prolite and the Grafalloy Blue is kind of like a redesigned Prolite with an uber stiff tip. 

• Like 1

Yea the shaft that he has in there was cheap back when it was still in production. Its so old they don't even make it anymore haha

And damn hard to find. I have a couple of players in the area that have a standing "Call me" when one shows up in a tradein....   They are still waiting.....

A bit like TM V steel fairways, I think there were a couple still being played on tour in the last few years. I waited years before I got one on eBay.

I don't feel so bad about my 2008 fairwaysnow, but I might have to upgrade to 2011 if it means I can hit it like Stenson.

• Like 2

And more than the Indian/Arrow conversation, I think it's a commentary on what happens when your equipment fits you - When that happens, the difference "new" technology makes can be rather insignificant.

• Like 4

They're reluctant to change because they trust their equipment: Charl Schwartzel has been seen with a Nike VR Limited 5 wood, Spencer Levin was using TM R9 TP irons at the 2016 The Players, Ryan Palmer used a R9 5 wood up until the R15 replaced it. They use what they feel comfortable with, which I think is really cool.

It really is neat seeing old clubs in the bag of tour pros, considering they have EVERYTHING at their disposal.  

• Like 4

I've been on the driving range with Brittany Lincicome enough to see that she still games a set of old Adams clubs.

• Like 3

You should see the Champions Tour bags........a lot of them are gaming clubs that are 4 - 5 years old.  I remember noticing that when I used to marshall at the Outback Pro Am.

• Like 1

I still remember it took a few years for DJ to change from his trusted R9 woods. He bombed those things. Too bad he couldn't putt with them or else he would have a couple more majors

I think Bernhard Langer is using an Adams fast 12ls, and Johnny Miller was bombing a callaway square driver when he played the legends of golf thing at the 3M a couple years ago...

• Like 1

I was playing with a guy who's got one of those Diablo fairway woods, and he spent the first few holes bragging about it. Unfortunately for him, he couldn't stop topping the damn thing.

• Like 1

You should see the Champions Tour bags........a lot of them are gaming clubs that are 4 - 5 years old.  I remember noticing that when I used to marshall at the Outback Pro Am.

Look at Bernhard Langer the long irons he still carries 1999 Hogan Apex 3 thru 5 iron and I mean real Hogan irons not Callaway or the "new" Hogan /Skor stuff------- with lots of lead tape I might add  ^_^

• Like 1

Yea the shaft that he has in there was cheap back when it was still in production. Its so old they don't even make it anymore haha

That shaft was also very lethal in the Titleist 905 drivers too!!!  For some reason that was a good combo for a lot of folks still is. Some guys are still playing that combo maybe not on tour but you know what I mean

• Like 1

A bit like TM V steel fairways, I think there were a couple still being played on tour in the last few years. I waited years before I got one on eBay.

I don't feel so bad about my 2008 fairwaysnow, but I might have to upgrade to 2011 if it means I can hit it like Stenson.

Funny you mentioned the V-Steels I have 3 of them including a rare 9 wood (24*) I actually went to a TM demo a couple of years ago with a friend when they had the Rocket balls thing going I hit my old V-Steel 7 wood better than anything they offered at the time. This one guy with TM mentioned he did not know TM ever made that (he was real wet behind the ears) The older rep grinned and whispered those are some of the best woods they ever made wish they still made them. He also told the kid you would not believe how many of those are still in Tour bags especially the senior tour

• Like 1

I've been on the driving range with Brittany Lincicome enough to see that she still games a set of old Adams clubs.

You know I am gaming that old Adams GT Tight Lies 18* 5 wood. It is absolutely the ugliest club since the Cleveland VAS but I love that thing. I ended up with it on a bulk buy my partner made. It was actually in pristine shape. Dead stock. We were messing around on the range and I hit it WOW. put it in the bag hits better than my beloved V-Steel 5 wood.    It will not be in the bag today how ever i am playing for fun with a buddy of mine and it is experimental and fun day. I have one of my old Macgregor persimmon Custom 4 woods in the bag with a x-100 steel shaft. funny it is almost the same loft as the 5 wood just 1* stronger. I can still hit it believe it or not. funny thing is that the size of the head is like a modern hybrid in fact I have a leather hybrid cover on it

• Like 1