TESTERS WANTED! ×

Henrik Stenson's 3 Wood

I think it's really interesting (and kinda cool), that with all the new technology and the endless amount of free equipment these guys get, that Henrik is still using a 3 wood from 2011 you can get on Ebay for about 30 bucks (expensive shaft not included, but you get the idea).

Capture.JPG

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Grafalloy Blue is a very inexpensive shaft, can get on eBay for a couple shekels.

But to your point it's neat to see and proves that it's usually the Indian not the arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yea the shaft that he has in there was cheap back when it was still in production. Its so old they don't even make it anymore haha

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

don't know much about shafts, just assumed it was 'high end'.....maybe makes it even better

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

don't know much about shafts, just assumed it was 'high end'.....maybe makes it even better

http://grafalloy.com/products/blue/

That's the rerelease. It's white instead of blue in color but I think the bend profile is the same. 

This was one of the original low/low graphite shafts back in the day. 

Didn't Robin design this one?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yea the shaft that he has in there was cheap back when it was still in production. Its so old they don't even make it anymore haha

And damn hard to find. I have a couple of players in the area that have a standing "Call me" when one shows up in a tradein....   They are still waiting.....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

A bit like TM V steel fairways, I think there were a couple still being played on tour in the last few years. I waited years before I got one on eBay.

I don't feel so bad about my 2008 fairwaysnow, but I might have to upgrade to 2011 if it means I can hit it like Stenson.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• 3 weeks later...

They're reluctant to change because they trust their equipment: Charl Schwartzel has been seen with a Nike VR Limited 5 wood, Spencer Levin was using TM R9 TP irons at the 2016 The Players, Ryan Palmer used a R9 5 wood up until the R15 replaced it. They use what they feel comfortable with, which I think is really cool.

It really is neat seeing old clubs in the bag of tour pros, considering they have EVERYTHING at their disposal.  

I've been on the driving range with Brittany Lincicome enough to see that she still games a set of old Adams clubs.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You should see the Champions Tour bags........a lot of them are gaming clubs that are 4 - 5 years old.  I remember noticing that when I used to marshall at the Outback Pro Am.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I still remember it took a few years for DJ to change from his trusted R9 woods. He bombed those things. Too bad he couldn't putt with them or else he would have a couple more majors

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I think Bernhard Langer is using an Adams fast 12ls, and Johnny Miller was bombing a callaway square driver when he played the legends of golf thing at the 3M a couple years ago...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I was playing with a guy who's got one of those Diablo fairway woods, and he spent the first few holes bragging about it. Unfortunately for him, he couldn't stop topping the damn thing.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

You should see the Champions Tour bags........a lot of them are gaming clubs that are 4 - 5 years old.  I remember noticing that when I used to marshall at the Outback Pro Am.

Look at Bernhard Langer the long irons he still carries 1999 Hogan Apex 3 thru 5 iron and I mean real Hogan irons not Callaway or the "new" Hogan /Skor stuff------- with lots of lead tape I might add  ^_^

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

That shaft was also very lethal in the Titleist 905 drivers too!!!  For some reason that was a good combo for a lot of folks still is. Some guys are still playing that combo maybe not on tour but you know what I mean

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

A bit like TM V steel fairways, I think there were a couple still being played on tour in the last few years. I waited years before I got one on eBay.

I don't feel so bad about my 2008 fairwaysnow, but I might have to upgrade to 2011 if it means I can hit it like Stenson.

Funny you mentioned the V-Steels I have 3 of them including a rare 9 wood (24*) I actually went to a TM demo a couple of years ago with a friend when they had the Rocket balls thing going I hit my old V-Steel 7 wood better than anything they offered at the time. This one guy with TM mentioned he did not know TM ever made that (he was real wet behind the ears) The older rep grinned and whispered those are some of the best woods they ever made wish they still made them. He also told the kid you would not believe how many of those are still in Tour bags especially the senior tour

G

I've been on the driving range with Brittany Lincicome enough to see that she still games a set of old Adams clubs.

You know I am gaming that old Adams GT Tight Lies 18* 5 wood. It is absolutely the ugliest club since the Cleveland VAS but I love that thing. I ended up with it on a bulk buy my partner made. It was actually in pristine shape. Dead stock. We were messing around on the range and I hit it WOW. put it in the bag hits better than my beloved V-Steel 5 wood.    It will not be in the bag today how ever i am playing for fun with a buddy of mine and it is experimental and fun day. I have one of my old Macgregor persimmon Custom 4 woods in the bag with a x-100 steel shaft. funny it is almost the same loft as the 5 wood just 1* stronger. I can still hit it believe it or not. funny thing is that the size of the head is like a modern hybrid in fact I have a leather hybrid cover on it

G

I'm just wondering if Callaway resurrecting the Steelhead name isn't a slight homage to Henrick.  It's smart marketing to bring back a classic name and retro look IMO.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'm just wondering if Callaway resurrecting the Steelhead name isn't a slight homage to Henrick. It's smart marketing to bring back a classic name and retro look IMO.

But isn't stenson gaming a Diablo and not a "steelhead"?

Henrik is using a Diable Octane Tour 13 degree. It is most definitely not Steelhead.

:titelist-small: 913 D2 9.5° Diamana BlueBoard S+ 62g

:callaway-small: Diablo Octane Tour 15° Fujikura Motore F3 S-60

:callaway-small: Big Bertha Hawk Eye VFT 5W Callaway RCH-96

:mizuno-small: MP-22 HMB 19° N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120

:mizuno-small:  MP-55 4-PW N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 

:cleveland-small:  RTX-3 RAW 54.8 DGS400

:cleveland-small:  RTX-3 RAW 60.6 DGS400

:cameron-small:  Studio Style Newport 2.5

:titelist-small:  ProV1

Henrik is using a Diable Octane Tour 13 degree. It is most definitely not Steelhead.

But I believe pre diablo he had a steelhead in the bag for years apon years. The man is loyal to his 3w's.

But I believe pre diablo he had a steelhead in the bag for years apon years. The man is loyal to his 3w's.

I think every golfer is. You find a 3 wood that works you'd have to pry it out of their cold dead hands. I still have an original Big Bertha S2H2 in my bag.

I think every golfer is. You find a 3 wood that works you'd have to pry it out of their cold dead hands. I still have an original Big Bertha S2H2 in my bag.

Yea.... Maybe not everyone -_-

Adams super ls bought 3- 3 woods and 3- 5 woods, and 3- 22* hybrid heads. Lol I like them that much

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Yes I know that its the diablo and not the steelhead that Stenson games - that's why I wrote "slight" homage.  Slight as in retro if not the same make. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I finally found one on eBay... Octane Tour 15° and it should be here in a couple of weeks. I get notifications from eBay whenever one is listed. The last two months it's been nothing but LH clubs. We'll see how it works, should have no problem selling it if I don't like it.

I still have a Callaway Big Bertha in my bag, many a 3 Wood has tried to take it's place. Lets see what all the fuss is about.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived