Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Just wanted to throw a shout out for the ORANGE WHIP as the best training aid i've come across! If you haven't heard of it you sure will soon. The whip is a very flexible rubber shaft, with an orange weighted ball attached to the end of it, it shallows out your plane and prevents you from coming over the top, while doing a fantastic job of stretching out both your back swing, and follow through. Check' em out on Facebook, or your local shops- very inexpensive, and worth searching out.

• SPY VIP

We have all 3 sizes of the Orange Whip at the shop. It's really an excellent tool for smoothing out both tempo and transition.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

I am interested, but didn't see them as inexpensive either. Went the DIY route. I actually picked up a baseball swing stick, cut the shaft and slapped on a golf grip for about $30.

Not quite the same, I am sure, but it does help stop me from coming down too fast from the top.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

orange whip, orange whip, orange whip......I'll take 3 orange whips! I have used this trainig aid before and loved it.

NIce to see so many members of the Illinois law enforcement with us tonight.

Volvo Intorqueo

orange whip, orange whip, orange whip......I'll take 3 orange whips! I have used this trainig aid before and loved it.

We are on a mission from GOD!!!!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

The training device, it's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.

But you traded the blues mobile for a cop car.

Volvo Intorqueo

The training device, it's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.

Pure genius!! I love this movie. One of the all time greats. Right behind Animal House.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I love it when we send these threads on tangents...too funny. ;)

Anyway, I've seen the Orange Whip but I also thought it was too pricey. Get much better results from the equivalent investment in lesson time. Sorry.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Fix the cigarette lighter.

aaaannnndd.....scene! Someone will have to start a new scene for us.

I love it when we send these threads on tangents...too funny. :lol:

Anyway, I've seen the Orange Whip but I also thought it was too pricey. Get much better results from the equivalent investment in lesson time. Sorry.

Agreed. Sometimes I won't want to click on threads because the topic isn't interesting to me, but I do because I realize by post 3 they may be on to something different.

I think the point about lessons is good. One thing that I think is really important about lessons and having them provide long term benefit, is to write things down. When I took my first 6 golf lessons, the pro wrote down the things we worked on at the end of every lesson. I've gone back to those notes 3-4 times since then just to get all my fundamentals back in line.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

aaaannnndd.....scene! Someone will have to start a new scene for us.

Agreed. Sometimes I won't want to click on threads because the topic isn't interesting to me, but I do because I realize by post 3 they may be on to something different.

I think the point about lessons is good. One thing that I think is really important about lessons and having them provide long term benefit, is to write things down. When I took my first 6 golf lessons, the pro wrote down the things we worked on at the end of every lesson. I've gone back to those notes 3-4 times since then just to get all my fundamentals back in line.

For the price it is easily an hour of one on one instruction. Could probably get 2 separate lessons too.

Volvo Intorqueo

FYI, I saw on another forum where some guys were going to Wal-Mart and buying one of those baseball hitting trainers and using it for the same purpose as the Orange Whip -- but getting it for a whole lot less.

Just passing it on.

----- Edited, to add -----

This is what I'm talking about:

p4788404dt.jpg

• SPY VIP

FYI, I saw on another forum where some guys were going to Wal-Mart and buying one of those baseball hitting trainers and using it for the same purpose as the Orange Whip -- but getting it for a whole lot less.

Just passing it on.

----- Edited, to add -----

This is what I'm talking about:

p4788404dt.jpg

That is the one I was talking about in post #5.

Now it is in its own thread. :)

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/545-diy-whip-trainer/

Volvo Intorqueo

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone actually have one of these? I was looking at Sac's DIY and Robs driveway marker idea.

Anyone know the weight of the counterball near the hands?

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

do you have a swingweight scale by chance? If not...in your best guess....would you say that it weighs about the same as a golf club?

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

• SPY VIP

do you have a swingweight scale by chance? If not...in your best guess....would you say that it weighs about the same as a golf club?

No scale, sorry.

It definitely feels a bit heavier to me. good weight though, no real extra effort, it just helps me feel where the end is.

Volvo Intorqueo

• 3 months later...

The Orange Whip Trainer is a great training tool. It's a little too highly priced. They could have made more money selling twice as many of them at $80 or so, instead of the seemingly "STANDARD" prices of $110-$150 that basically EVERY training aid sells for these days.

I do think it's worth the purchase price though. NEVER seen a better training aid for tempo in terms of immediate-feel feedback. It also teaches loading on the downswing by maintaining wrist cock... NEVER seen a training device that could teach you that at all... let alone without you even REALIZING that it's forcing you to load.

It's also doing a lot more things. It stretches you out, and also works out core muscles in a very golf specific way... now there are other ways to make a club do that... in this situation, the Orange Whip is not unique.

But the fact that it will teach you tempo, a strong downswing position, make you more flexible AND strengthen golf-specific muscles ALL AT THE SAME TIME!?!??? There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that does all these things.

The only important caveat here is that you must learn HOW to use it. I don't know if it comes with an instructional DVD or not, but it certainly should. Used properly, it will make ANY golfer better in a lot of ways.

Maybe you can find one on eBay for a cheaper price or something... but I highly recommend it. I personally feel that I'm less likely to have lessons to give if people were buying this thing on a large scale.... so, forget that... DON'T BUY THIS THING!

MY BAG

Driver:      Titleist 917D3 9.5, Fuji Speeder Pro Tour Spec 74 s-flex

Fairway:   Cobra Fly-z+ 15* x-flex
Irons:        Ping i25 4-PW (yellow dot), dynamic gold X100
Wedges:   Cleveland RTX 2.0 60*, TaylorMade TP EF 54*
Putter:       Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2, name stamped, II black oxide finish

Grips:        Golf Pride New Decade Midsize +2 wraps

i thought the item was over $100 and would it be the same to use an old club shaft and attached a rag at the bottom?

Nope. The orange ball on the end really aids in feeling lag. A rag wouldn't accomplish that.

Just wanted to throw a shout out for the ORANGE WHIP as the best training aid i've come across! If you haven't heard of it you sure will soon. The whip is a very flexible rubber shaft, with an orange weighted ball attached to the end of it, it shallows out your plane and prevents you from coming over the top, while doing a fantastic job of stretching out both your back swing, and follow through. Check' em out on Facebook, or your local shops- very inexpensive, and worth searching out.

I agree. Orange Whip is a great tool to help me with my tempo.

Pat Mullaly

Editor, GolfGurls.com

The Resource Site for Today's Woman Golfer

http://www.golfgurls.com

FREE E-Book - WIN THE WAGER: Golf Tournament Formats For Fun & Profit

Fun formts for 1,2,3 or 4 players / Great ideas for league tournaments, corporate outings and special events

Vist http://www.golfgurls.com, subscribe and download your FREE copy.

Archived