TESTERS WANTED! ×

Iron shafts

Ok so I consider myself relatively knowledgeable about equipment and in particular shafts. But sometimes I'm not sure what differentiates one shaft from another and by how much. My knowledge is mostly of low launch stuff. 

The goal right now is to find something to go into the Hogan PTx irons. The KBS tourV 120x just feel really soft to me and aren't working out. This is going to be kind of difficult because I want super low launch and spin from 6i/7i-pw and something a little higher launch in the 4i/5i and maybe 6i. The flighted sets all seem to be too soft from what I understand and have tried. Not many high swing speed players want flighted shafts and while I probably don't need them, these irons may or may not(depending how testing goes) be in the bag for a long time to come so its worth it to look. 

I understand the the DG AMT aren't flighted and are just weight sorted and get heavier through the set so that may be an option. DG Pro sort of peaked my interest as well. What about DG black gold? Is that just an older version of DG pro? I don't know as much about some of the more exotic shaft options but I know Nippon Super Peening Blue have been recommended to me in the past. 

About me: SS with the driver is 120ish and 6i is around 100. Transition is on the faster side but working on it. Previous shafts that I've used that have worked well in the past are:

PX 6.5/7.0

DGx100/X7 

KBS Ctaper130x

Any input would be helpful. And yes i'm definitely a tinkerer, I know. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

The Tour V should launch a little higher than the C Tapers, have you considered leaving the V's in the 4 & 5 (or 6) and going with C tapers in the 7-pw?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The Tour V should launch a little higher than the C Tapers, have you considered leaving the V's in the 4 & 5 (or 6) and going with C tapers in the 7-pw?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thought about it for a sec but I don't like the feel of the TourV for some reason, very soft. The TourV feels more like the regular KBS tour than the C taper to me. And honestly I didn't love the Ctaper's feel. I just put up with it bc the results were decent. 

It seems like you prefer a constant weight shaft - so how about throwing TT Tour Concept into the mix?

The design makes for a flighted set but without using a descending weight pattern. 

Other options could be to tweak the set with regular old DG's - but using X300 in the shorter irons, 200 in the mid and 100 in the long irons. Slight change in weight (around 4g) but not so much that you'd notice.

It seems like you prefer a constant weight shaft - so how about throwing TT Tour Concept into the mix?

The design makes for a flighted set but without using a descending weight pattern. 

Other options could be to tweak the set with regular old DG's - but using X300 in the shorter irons, 200 in the mid and 100 in the long irons. Slight change in weight (around 4g) but not so much that you'd notice.

TT tour concept was something I was curious about and knew it was flighted but didn't have alot of info on. And as for constant weight, I'm really not sure. I've never really gotten to experiment much with variable weight iron shafts. 

There could be interesting to follow. Not in my wheelhouse but had you considered the PX's for these irons?

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

... Undershooter30 have you tried the Mizuno Optimizer? I know my shafts and played KB Tours 1/2" long, stiff flex and soft stepped once. When doing a review of MP59's I was fitted by a Mizuno Rep and he used the Optimizer. I was surprised when the Optimizer gave the exact, and I mean exact same recommendation as what I was playing in my MP63's. 

... As a + index with a smooth transition and a 100-105 max swing speed, I could recommend the opposite of what I play LOL. Your swing speed and fast transition put you in very elite company and few will be able to recommend anything based on personal experience. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

There could be interesting to follow. Not in my wheelhouse but had you considered the PX's for these irons?

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I thought about it Rev. That is what is in my MPs at the moment. They weren't my favorite iron shafts but they weren't bad either. 

... Undershooter30 have you tried the Mizuno Optimizer? I know my shafts and played KB Tours 1/2" long, stiff flex and soft stepped once. When doing a review of MP59's I was fitted by a Mizuno Rep and he used the Optimizer. I was surprised when the Optimizer gave the exact, and I mean exact same recommendation as what I was playing in my MP63's. 

... As a + index with a smooth transition and a 100-105 max swing speed, I could recommend the opposite of what I play LOL. Your swing speed and fast transition put you in very elite company and few will be able to recommend anything based on personal experience. 

I've used it before and it just gave me the all the normal low launch options. I can't remember the numbers but the swing speed was upper 90s and the recommendations it spit out were Ctaper X, PX in X and X100. Although I didn't think the SS numbers were correct. When I was fitted previously flightscope  my numbers with the 6i were at 100-103 and 106-107 if I stepped on it. 

... I was also fitted for Aerotech Steelfiber shafts. Performance was excellent but they felt much too stiff for my preference. For me, it made me feel like I needed to swing harder, always a recipe for a smooth swingers disaster. Tried the Recoil 110's and absolutely loved them. The feel is solid, dampened with feedback and I can feel the shaft working with my swing, not against it. Yet side by side the actual shots I hit with both shafts were virtually identical. 

... What I found interesting with the Optimizer was not how fast I swing, but HOW I swing the golf club. Measuring the swing speed, tempo, toe down, kick angle and release factor should put me in the right shafts based on those factors. My third option was a PX shaft, and I don't like the feel of those shafts at all. None of the recommendations accounted for feel and personal preference. Good luck in your search. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

What about the TT Monocos? I know there are fewer sets available but the TX in that seems like a flighted version of X7.

What about the TT Monocos? I know there are fewer sets available but the TX in that seems like a flighted version of X7.

You're right that there are fewer sets - only 1000 were ever made. Hence it's such a rare set to find, I've yet to try them out myself either!

The general consensus is that they feel pretty good, but as with some flighted sets, it comes with a slight catch.

The problem is, each shaft is tip flighted to suit each individual club - i.e. the 3 iron shaft is flexible in the tip and it gradually stiffens up until you get to the wedge. All very good, but it also makes the assumption that each shaft is generally going to be played with the same swing - full. This tends to lead to a slight feeling of unpredictability when playing partial or finesse shots with each club - it's difficult to predict how the trajectory and spin will work out.

The constant weight and constant profile shaft has no such problems - and is perhaps why (and I've mentioned it before) it is favoured by better players. 

However, some better players can make the flighted set work for their game. It definitely worth considering given your predicament.

• SPY VIP

Based on everything you've said, I'd think the DG AMT X100 would be a solid idea - Monaco's as well, but dang they're so hard to find and pricey if you can - Standard PX isn't a bad idea, but you might love them 8-PW and not so much 3-7...

Based on everything you've said, I'd think the DG AMT X100 would be a solid idea - Monaco's as well, but dang they're so hard to find and pricey if you can - Standard PX isn't a bad idea, but you might love them 8-PW and not so much 3-7...

Oddly enough with PX its the opposite. PX launches high enough for me so I like them alot in the long and mid irons. I just have control myself with the shorter irons bc they feel a bit soft. I have to think smooth tempo and don't go after it too hard. 

You're right that there are fewer sets - only 1000 were ever made. Hence it's such a rare set to find, I've yet to try them out myself either!

The general consensus is that they feel pretty good, but as with some flighted sets, it comes with a slight catch.

The problem is, each shaft is tip flighted to suit each individual club - i.e. the 3 iron shaft is flexible in the tip and it gradually stiffens up until you get to the wedge. All very good, but it also makes the assumption that each shaft is generally going to be played with the same swing - full. This tends to lead to a slight feeling of unpredictability when playing partial or finesse shots with each club - it's difficult to predict how the trajectory and spin will work out.

The constant weight and constant profile shaft has no such problems - and is perhaps why (and I've mentioned it before) it is favoured by better players. 

However, some better players can make the flighted set work for their game. It definitely worth considering given your predicament.

Well I found a used set of TT Monacos for $200. I figure if they don't work I should at least be able to get my money back from them. Plus I need to sell my X7s among many other things. 

1 question though. This set is coming with a bunch of extra wedge shafts. How are they wedge shafts in the Monacos set up? Would they be similar to other sets and the wedge shaft is just a cut down 8 iron shaft or would they be different because of the flighted technology?

I doubt the extra wedge shafts would be Monocos. The cut down 8 iron shaft would need to be (usually) from the flex class above (or even softer and spinny from the same flex class) - not possible if you already have TX and not possible unless you have multiple sets of Monocos...

I guess you could have the 36.5" wedge shaft in all of them, but at the time of issue no additional wedge shafts were available - only extra 40.5" 2-iron shafts could be bought. The Monocos were designed (like TI) to be sold as a matched set, so I seroiusly doubt anybody would buy additional sets just for wedge shafts.

Having said that, anything is possible and it's always best to measure what you have before making any judgement - or just a glance at the signature anti-glare copper finish would suffice in this case.

Like I said, I'd be very surprised if you have a bunch of Monoco wedge shafts.

I doubt the extra wedge shafts would be Monocos. The cut down 8 iron shaft would need to be (usually) from the flex class above (or even softer and spinny from the same flex class) - not possible if you already have TX and not possible unless you have multiple sets of Monocos...

I guess you could have the 36.5" wedge shaft in all of them, but at the time of issue no additional wedge shafts were available - only extra 40.5" 2-iron shafts could be bought. The Monocos were designed (like TI) to be sold as a matched set, so I seroiusly doubt anybody would buy additional sets just for wedge shafts.

Having said that, anything is possible and it's always best to measure what you have before making any judgement - or just a glance at the signature anti-glare copper finish would suffice in this case.

Like I said, I'd be very surprised if you have a bunch of Monoco wedge shafts.

I got them in last night. The set is 3-lw. I guess the previous owner ponied up the cash and bought some extras bc they are definitely Monacos. Is there a way for me to tell the flex rating and shaft designation? I know some shafts have stuff printed under where the grips go. I haven't examined them much other than to confirm they are all Monacos which they are. I'll try to post a pic when I get home. 

Flex designation is fairly simple - it's on the silk screen label :) (towards the pointed end of the white label).

Shaft# should be printed on the butt in length format for each individual iron - 40.5" for a 2-iron and descending in 1/2" increments to a 36.5" wedge

Flex designation is fairly simple - it's on the silk screen label :) (towards the pointed end of the white label).

Shaft# should be printed on the butt in length format for each individual iron - 40.5" for a 2-iron and descending in 1/2" increments to a 36.5" wedge

Ok cool. Like I said, barely looked at them last night other than checking to see how many he sent me and that they are all the same shaft. I'll try and blow the grips off when I get home and take a couple of pics. I'm interested to see what the extra wedge shafts are. 

Bit of an interesting problem we may have. The 3-pw came with grips while the extra wedge shafts didn't. I don't have my tools to blow the grips off so we are kinda stuck there for a couple days. The extra wedge shafts all have 365 lasered on the butt. So I guess they are all pw shafts. All the shafts are TX flex except what appears to be the 9i which is an x flex. Uh oh...

So wouldn't it make more sense to just hardstep the 9i only with one of the wedge shafts? I figure the flex difference is one thing but also I know the TX is 135g vs the X is 127g. Any thoughts?

Fyi I am working to try and get a TX 9i shaft but nothing so far.

You could hardstep the 9-iron shaft, but as already pointed out, the Monaco shaft has a variable tip flexibilty for each iron - the 9-iron profile is not the same as the wedge. Combine that with the difference in weight and you have yourself a bit of a problem.

If it were me, I'd return the shafts for a refund and start again from scratch. Trying to fit the one rogue shaft into a set only leads to complications and expense - avoid it if you can.

You could hardstep the 9-iron shaft, but as already pointed out, the Monaco shaft has a variable tip flexibilty for each iron - the 9-iron profile is not the same as the wedge. Combine that with the difference in weight and you have yourself a bit of a problem.

If it were me, I'd return the shafts for a refund and start again from scratch. Trying to fit the one rogue shaft into a set only leads to complications and expense - avoid it if you can.

The Monacos are constant weight throughout flex though? The shaft tip varies but weight doesn't I don't think. TX all come in at 135g and X are 127g if I'm not mistaken. Is it still not worth it bc of the tip variability?

IMHO - nope.

Gotcha, thanks for the info

Interested in learning about the Monocos.  Any feedback yet? 

Clubs in great standing

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS - Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - UST Mamiya Black 79X
  • 5 Wood - Taylormade Sim Max - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron, Srixon ZX7 (6-9)  - Recoil 110 F5
  • Wedges - Cleveland 46, 50*, 54*, & 60* Zipcore mid bounce - Recoil 110 F5
  • Putter -  Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter, LAB MEZZ.1  - BGT Stability

Clubs in good standing(fighting for one spot)....

• 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named - UST Mamiya Black 79TX | Util - Callaway Apex X Forged UTIL 21* - AD-DI | Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5 | Util - Callaway UW 19* - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5

Clubs that need a timeout/replacing

Sooooooo

I played the Project X 6.5's and then the set before was the Project X 6.5's flighted.  I have a fast Swing Speed and and rough transition.  I tried a few steel but nothing stood out and since I wanted graphite for dampening I tested the Steel Fibers and the Recoils.

I ended up with the Recoils.  The Steel fiber were lower launching for me and had a touch too much spin.  I am a low ball flight guy and need help in the long irons, the Recoils did the trick.

The launch difference in the Flighted Rifles vs. Non Flighted was minuscule to say the least testing head to head on a trackman.  There was a difference but it wasn't enough to make a huge difference.

The Steelfibers may be the ticket for you though, they were lower launching.  I equated them to a C-taper for charateristics(ballflight/spin/dispersion) but the feel was a ton better.

Interesting. I've recently thought about tinkering with graphite in the irons. I just wouldn't know where to go around me to find a way to try some in the weight/ flex I needed. 

I'm really not a low ball hitter, quite the opposite actually. The goal is, I want to bring down rain with the long irons and keep the the mid irons mid flight and the long irons low flight as much as possible. That's why the Monaco's intrigued me so much. Still looking for a 9i shaft to replace the old one. 

Do you know if the Steelfibers are flighted are all or if they are mostly constant in their flight throughout the set? Thanks for the comment btw!

Any recommendations for someone who plays PX Flighted now and is looking for new shafts since they're not made anymore?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Any recommendations for someone who plays PX Flighted now and is looking for new shafts since they're not made anymore?

Theo have you tried the DG pro line?

Theo have you tried the DG pro line?

Just when demoing things. I like them but the problem for me seems to be weight. I've had a hard time finding something in the right flex that's still heavy enough for me.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Interested in learning about the Monocos.  Any feedback yet? 

Sorry not yet, I haven't put them in any clubs yet to test out. The copper finish looks cool but that's about all I know. I did talk to the guy who does my club work and is a certified fitter. He can't get me a 9i shaft for them but did suggest trying to cpm the set and see if any of the extra pw shafts were closer to 9 iron shafts than the other. I've got another buddy who works at TT seeing if he can get a 9i shaft for me but that's doubtful. He just laughed at first, when I asked. Not a good sign haha

Archived