Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

New iron shafts?

Need some help fellas. I'm toying with the idea of replacing my R flex shafts with S flex and I want to hear some opinions.

My driver swing speed is pretty much right at 100mph and I was fitted into an S flex when I did the fitting for the JPX-EZ driver and fairway. I'm now hitting the driver and fairway further and straighter than I have before.

I know we don't swing irons at the same speed, but would it be fair to say that I might be better off with a S flex in my irons as well instead of the R that I have now. My shots tend to be right of the target with my irons currently.

If I was to change I know what shafts I'll be using, so brand isn't an issue, just whether it would be a wise move or not.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Could you build a test club and see if you like it or not?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Not knowing your swing or your game I would suggest going to a good fitter and let them run the numbers on the driver since you hit it so good. There are a lot of factors to consider as in how much tip flex you are getting. Or to simplify matters you can do as Theoo suggested try an experimental shaft in your irons if you do your own club work. there are a lot of factors at work here. I am a big proponent on the tip flex thing. Good example I can take my standard shaft a DG S-300 and tip it for one club 3 or 4 different ways. IMHO That is an example of a versitile shaft and that is why I lean towards them. Another thing never believe a shaft label on a used club or pull out shaft. Good example the Adams stock shaft in my 5 wood states it is a Stiff flex but putting it on a frequency machine reveals it is actually a regular flex soft tip. It can get complicated at times. Your driver may have a stock from the factory shaft and the numbers can vary on any of them. Evidently you have found one that matches up for you perfectly.. Let me know what happens with you

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Could you build a test club and see if you like it or not?

I'm leaning towards going that route. Build a Maltby DBM 6 iron with the FST 90 shaft that I use but stiff flex...all up I might have $45 in it.

Thanks for the insight Stu! I'll definitely keep this updated.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I'm leaning towards going that route. Build a Maltby DBM 6 iron with the FST 90 shaft that I use but stiff flex...all up I might have $45 in it.

Thanks for the insight Stu! I'll definitely keep this updated.

Those FST 90s are also a very good shaft especially for the price. If you look at the Golfworks catalog at the tipping instructions they are also very versitile as to tipping options. I have a set of those shafts in the forged Infiniti TS-10 irons I did the research work on for Championship Golf here and they hit pretty good

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Why don't you go and get fitted for them, do it once and then forget about things maybe not being right for you.

I could probably do that when if I go to Golfworks to pick up a head and shaft.

In the bag:

Bag: 

I could probably do that when if I go to Golfworks to pick up a head and shaft.

Yep you could. Another buddy of mine on WRX lives near there and posted pics the other night of the faculity and it is impressive to say the least. I have done business for at least 20 years with those folks and they have outstanding service. My buddy was telling me that they have more stuff at their shop than they do in the catalog and have a complete fitting place and all

G

Sounds like a road trip is in order then. I might have to get there first thing so I can get a round in with Mr Theoo while I'm down there.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Sounds like a road trip is in order then. I might have to get there first thing so I can get a round in with Mr Theoo while I'm down there.

Sounds good to me! Golfworks is like 20 minutes from my house

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I'll let you know mate...probably earlyish September. My Mum arrives on Saturday, so time will be sparse until she leaves.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Build a test club and try it out.

Twitter: @EdmundCruz 

@ChiGolfAth 

What's In The Bag:

Driver:  Tour Edge Golf EX9 10 degrees, UST Mamiya ATTAS COOOL Stiff Flex
Hybrid:  Tour Edge Golf Exotics EX9 #3 Hybrid, UST MAMIYA RECOIL 670 F4 Stiff Flex
Irons:
:benhogan-small: Ft. Worth 15 Irons, 23, 27, 31, 35, 39, 43, 47 KBS Tour 90 S-Flex Shaft
Wedges:
:benhogan-small: TK 15 Wedges, 51, 55, 59. KBS Tour 90 S-Flex Shaft
Putter: Buzelli Golf STA-1, Standard Loft/Lie
Ball:  Snell Golf My Tour Ball 

What is the reason you are considering moving to stiff?  Is your ball flight too high? Is your dispersion all over the place?

I now know my swing speed and I was overpowering the R flex in the driver, hitting a lot of slices. Changed to S flex in the driver and the slices are pretty much a thing of the past unless I try to swing out of my shoes. 

Irons are R flex and I'm constantly right of the target, so my thinking is it could be the result of too much flex just like the driver...maybe I'm thinking too simply. But to answer your question, dispersion issues would be the best call.

I'll find out I guess when I get down to Golfworks in September.

In the bag:

Bag: 

I now know my swing speed and I was overpowering the R flex in the driver, hitting a lot of slices. Changed to S flex in the driver and the slices are pretty much a thing of the past unless I try to swing out of my shoes.

Irons are R flex and I'm constantly right of the target, so my thinking is it could be the result of too much flex just like the driver...maybe I'm thinking too simply. But to answer your question, dispersion issues would be the best call.

Maybe get the lies looked at too, I know after I've improved my swing my irons are a bit too upright causing a few hooks every once in a while

I'd also look into soft stepping stiff flex as well. Tempo and transition will have an impact as will release point. Speed is an indicator but how you get that speed matters. A good fitter and builder would be able to workout out for an ideal match for you

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Now with what you are saying that is a great example of how everyone is different. Back in the day when I really had a fast SS and fast hands I would rope hook a regular shaft. That is why I used to hit the stiffest rebar thing you could get. Now that I have gotten older and the SS has slowed and the hands are not so handsy I hit soft tipped shafts and my old stiff shafts I played as recently as 2 years ago I will slice because I don't have enough oompah to get them through the ball any more.

G

Archived