How do YOU determine yardage?

42 members have voted

1. 1. Yardage finder

• GPS Watch
    • Smartphone app
    • Laser Rangefinder
    • Course Yardage markers
    • Something else

Garmin s20...it's by far the best gps watch that won't break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I agree, the S20 has been awesome. Wasn't sure if I'd like wearing a watch, but I don't even notice it. Had the GX-3i for a few months, but decided gps was a better fit for me,

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, the S20 has been awesome. Wasn't sure if I'd like wearing a watch, but I don't even notice it. Had the GX-3i for a few months, but decided gps was a better fit for me,

Yea and when I leave it at home, I sure notice it's not there a lot. I keep looking at my arm like it's going to magically appear. :D 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

One of the best iPhone apps I've found is GolfLogix. Only $29 and is as accurate as any laser or GPS. But normally

I use course markers. It's just faster.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Yea and when I leave it at home, I sure notice it's not there a lot. I keep looking at my arm like it's going to magically appear. :D

Ha! Same here with my S2.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I play the majority of my rounds on courses I am extremely familiar with including my home club where I am a member.  I don't typically use anything as a result.

If I am playing somewhere I am not as familiar, I will use a smartphone app.

• 2 weeks later...

If money was truly no object I'd hire Emmanuelle Chriqui to follow me around the course with a laser and a GPS and give me yardages.

Man, that's my girl! Just saw her again in You Don't Mess with the Zohan when channel surfing. I'd definitely have her Caddy for me!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

To answer the original question, I would first take the ambient temperature for my particular location on the course, then I would determine the location of the sun relative to the earth, divide that by the current latitude, multiply the answer by 3.14159, figure out the approximate number of potential burrowing animals located in the fairway, take the tangent of the angle formed by any obstructions like trees or boulders, then I would ignore that number and just take out my Bushnell 1500 and laser the flag. If the flag isn't visible, I'd use my skycaddie SG-5 to determine approximate distance.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be interested to hear what you think about the TomTom2. I bought one a couple of months ago and it is so bad I think I must be doing something wrong. I haven't had time to return it to the shop but before I do I'd be interested to know whether anyone else has the problems I've had.

The main reason I choose the TomTom was because it logs your shots. However, after a couple of rounds I had to turn off the shot logging. The way it counts scores is ingenious - it registers only the first swing you take from any one location so that it doesn't count practice swings. However, there obviously has to be a way of adding additional shots in case you mishit and the ball doesn't go more than a foot or two. The way you do that is by covering the face of the watch with your hand. So far so good. However, it also adds a shot if you cover the screen when you fold your arms, or put your hands in your pocket, or put on a rain jacket and the sleeve covers the watch. In addition, mine also adds shots at random throughout a round. 

I figured I'd have to live without the scoring and just use the GPS. However, on my home course, whilst the distance is generally only slightly less accurate that friends' GPS watches (judged by the course markers), it can be out by up 15 yards either way. I wasn't being sarcastic when I said I think I must be doing something wrong - and I would be delighted if a load of people write in and tell me that I'm doing it all wrong and how to fix it. 

I'm too shaky to use a laser, so I use a Garmin G8 GPS, phone GPS are to slow (know this will open a can of worms)

Not to mention the phone apps will eat ya battery and not sure about data usage?

I've enjoyed my Bushnell neo watch and it will be interesting comparing the rangefinder I will be testing, along with the watch.

Cleveland

If you're greens are big like my home course, it wont compare because most gps just give ft, cnt & back, where rangefinder gives to a spot (pin).

My gps lets me move a pin on green screen but that is just a judgment where I think it is.

Tho got to admit I've got pretty good @ judging, i get within a yrd or two of friends w/rangefinders

If you're greens are big like my home course, it wont compare because most gps just give ft, cnt & back, where rangefinder gives to a spot (pin).

My gps lets me move a pin on green screen but that is just a judgment where I think it is.

Tho got to admit I've got pretty good @ judging, i get within a yrd or two of friends w/rangefinders

Yea most of our greens are rather large to say the least. It will be cool to have an actual distance to my target. Now I need to learn how to hit it tight.... :D  

Cleveland

Yea most of our greens are rather large to say the least. It will be cool to have an actual distance to my target. Now I need to learn how to hit it tight.... :D  

Well we expect once you test out the latest in Range Finder equipment over the next few months that you will indeed be pin seeking and making birdies.

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

Well we expect once you test out the latest in Range Finder equipment over the next few months that you will indeed be pin seeking and making birdies.

I'm changing my forum name to Dead Eye Dick

Cleveland

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I use a combination of many of the devices.   

I predominantly use my Neo Ghost which I think is great.   i just pull it out of my pocket and get a yardage.

If I am on the tee and it is a big green I will use yardage markers and a green map to get approximate distance.  

Sometimes I will pull my rangefinder to find distances to clear hazards that may not be provided by my NEO ghost.  

And If I am really lazy,  I ask my playing partner what he got on his devices.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'll be interested to hear what you think about the TomTom2. I bought one a couple of months ago and it is so bad I think I must be doing something wrong. I haven't had time to return it to the shop but before I do I'd be interested to know whether anyone else has the problems I've had.

The main reason I choose the TomTom was because it logs your shots. However, after a couple of rounds I had to turn off the shot logging. The way it counts scores is ingenious - it registers only the first swing you take from any one location so that it doesn't count practice swings. However, there obviously has to be a way of adding additional shots in case you mishit and the ball doesn't go more than a foot or two. The way you do that is by covering the face of the watch with your hand. So far so good. However, it also adds a shot if you cover the screen when you fold your arms, or put your hands in your pocket, or put on a rain jacket and the sleeve covers the watch. In addition, mine also adds shots at random throughout a round.

I figured I'd have to live without the scoring and just use the GPS. However, on my home course, whilst the distance is generally only slightly less accurate that friends' GPS watches (judged by the course markers), it can be out by up 15 yards either way. I wasn't being sarcastic when I said I think I must be doing something wrong - and I would be delighted if a load of people write in and tell me that I'm doing it all wrong and how to fix it.

Slightly off-topic but related to TomTom - had an auto GPS that I was less than enthused with... Can't speak to the distances but about half the time it would take you on roundabout routes for no apparent reason (eg. due to traffic or construction). Ditched it after I got a new smartphone and latest version of Google Maps.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Archived