TESTERS WANTED! ×

First Look: 2017 Cleveland RTX-3 Wedges

DSC_0398.jpeg

Hey gang -- 

Here's the first official look at what was in the box - the 2017 Cleveland RTX-3 Wedges!

There's the traditional blade style wedge as well as the cavity back style.  The big development for Cleveland in this year's wedge is moving the center of gravity away from the heel, as is traditional in most wedges, and towards the center of the clubface. While this is new for Cleveland, it isn't a new idea -- Edel has been doing this with its wedges for a few years now.

DSC_0391.jpg

What Cleveland has done is moved 9 grams of weight out of the hosel - by shortening it a bit and creating a small cavity inside the hosel - allowing them to shift the CG closer to the impact area.  Cleveland is calling this "Feel Balancing Technology," - they say it decreases vibration and maximizes head stability which improves feel and tightens shot dispersion.  

DSC_0220.jpeg

They've also modified their grinds a bit -- the new V Sole grinds have more leading edge bounce to get through the turf easier (although from experience they do nothing if you hit the ground at least 2" behind the ball!). The V-LG is low bounce, V-MG is mid bounce and V-FG is the highest bounce and, as they say, bounce is your friend.

DSC_0216.jpeg

Cleveland has also upped its face-milling game.  The new Tour Zip grooves are deeper and narrower than previous models for improved spin, and  the updated micro-milling is kinda interesting. Lower lofts have relatively straight patter milling for full shots, while the higher lofted wedges (54-64*) have a more angled pattern - better for open faced shots.  

DSC_0109.jpeg

The blade wedges come in three finishes - satin chrome, black oxide and Tour Raw (soaked in oil and aggressively wrapped in plastic). The cavity back wedges come in chrome only.

DSC_0049.jpeg 

DSC_0064.jpeg

Lots more to come - but I can tell you there's nothing like a new wedge -- first full shot I hit with a 50* yesterday hit on the fringe about 10 feet past the pin, spun and rolled back about 20 feet.  That was fun to watch!

DSC_0074.jpeg

DSC_0329.jpeg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Whats up with that white spot on the bottom of the hosel? Come up a little early?  :P  all jokes aside... These look great. Probably wont kick my nikes out of the bag but they are pretty. 

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

Whats up with that white spot on the bottom of the hosel? Come up a little early?  :P  all jokes aside... These look great. Probably wont kick my nikes out of the bag but they are pretty. 

They do look nice -- also, they did dump the 588 nomenclature this time around. I think Rotex and RTX is the more modern branding they're trying to promote...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Those look great. So jealous.

And totally agree, new wedges are great.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Wow!  Look really nice.  

Got any pics of the face?  Would be interesting to see what those new grooves look like.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

They look awesome!! Currently playing the Taylormade R series @ 56 degrees and Taylormade's PSI pitching/gap wedge.

Just curious to see what everyone's take, if you play wedges that come with the set or wedges made and sold for individual play like the R series, Vokeys, Clevelands...etc. Any difference in play or just personal preference.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Sweet!, those are beautiful! I'm loving the simplification and minimizing graphics. keeping it clean!

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

They look awesome!! Currently playing the Taylormade R series @ 56 degrees and Taylormade's PSI pitching/gap wedge.

Just curious to see what everyone's take, if you play wedges that come with the set or wedges made and sold for individual play like the R series, Vokeys, Clevelands...etc. Any difference in play or just personal preference.

I recently picked up a set of Callaway MD2 Tour wedges (52/58) and let me tell you - they did something right with these.  The unique thing about them is the leading edge is straight rather than the normal curve.  That certainly helps me from all lies.

The grooves and face are very well done also.  I couldn't be happier... but then again if I had a sweet set of Cleveland RTX or Titleist SM6 I'd probably say the same thing.  :)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

What a great job by Cleveland on the looks and the inclusion of the VT sole was a no brainer.

Not in the market for wedges this year, but if I was these would be at the top of the list. And they will be at the top of the list next year.

All the talk about moving the weight from the hosel has me thinking about CoG location in wedges.  We have been seeing more companies talk about raising the CoG (moving mass higher in the club face) to create more repeatable launch and to increase spin.  I am curious as to where different wedges compare in terms of CoG placement.

If there was only a website that could test this sort of thing...

Just curious, why don't manufacturers make the grooves extend to the edges like Phil Mickelsons wedges pictured. Wouldn't that help with performance?1469477757099.jpg

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Wow even the cbs look great! Wish they had rolled these out earlier

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

So many sets....... Might... need.... some.... forum.... testing.... done????

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Just curious, why don't manufacturers make the grooves extend to the edges like Phil Mickelsons wedges pictured. Wouldn't that help with performance?attachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-07-25-16-11-43-1.jpg

Because most of use dont know how to control a shot like Phil with at high face strike.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I love how clean and minimal these look. I have always been a fan of Clevelands. I haven't ever gamed another wedge besides Cleveland and would gladly bag a complete set of Srixon-Clevelands. I think the Srixon company as a whole makes some of the nicest looking clubs in the business.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

If I could design the wedge, I would move all of the model details onto the hosel and have a completely blank metal back of the club with only the Cleveland

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Good looking wedges, but I think the T7s will be taking my money.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I just love what Cleveland did with the soles this time around. Should make for the perfect blend into the Srixon irons which.  I would love to test these out to see just how well the sole works on wedges where I am not taking full swings with.  

Do you guys have these in hand yet along with the rest of the Srixon stuff?  Curious to hear how you're liking them. 

I know I would go 2-dot on my 54*, but I can't decide if I'd go 1 dot or 2 dot on my 60

Yup - have a thread in here somewhere on the Srixon irons.  The wedges are very solid -- the new bounce is very versatile and love them out of the sand.  I still struggle with distance control with me wedges, but these are pretty strong and with the stock shaft they spin like crazy.

The new new Srixon irons are, in a word, SUH-WEEET!  Been gaming the 765 irons for about 3 weeks - great soft feel and the stock Nippon Modus shaft is a nice combo.  Distance is predictable and they're VERY easy to hit.  The blades are gorgeous and surprisingly easy to hit, as well. Have not done much yet with the 565 irons.

The woods are a nice surprise - both the 565 and 765 drivers are very good and easy to keep in play.  The 565 is 460CC and features a lighter stock shaft, but that helps with club head speed, and the 765 is just a beast.  

Maybe my favorite item in the lot is the U65 Utility  iron -- for a couple of the courses I play around here it's perfect for off the tee on about 4 holes at each course.  Easy to hit, easy to get airborne off the tee and off the turf and very, very soft feeling...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

And it would probably be a good idea to keep your eyes open around, oh, I don't know, early September.  I 'lil bird tells me we'll have some new Cleveland wedges set up for a forum test/review opportunity.

Just sayin...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

And it would probably be a good idea to keep your eyes open around, oh, I don't know, early September. I 'lil bird tells me we'll have some new Cleveland wedges set up for a forum test/review opportunity.

Just sayin...

I like the cut of this birds jib

• 3 weeks later...

I have always played Titleist Vokey wedges. After developing a partnership with the NCCGA and Srixon/Cleveland, I was forced to try out a new wedge. It did not take long at all for me to put the 588s in the bag. Minimalist design, clean grooves, and very durable. The instant change I noticed is the spin you are able to generate around the greens. I have never been able to get shots from thick rough stop as quickly as they do with this Cleveland wedges. I STRONGLY recommend them. 

My buddy already has these in his bag and really likes them. I've pre-ordered mine.

For me RAW was the only choice. 54/11, and 60/6

I will also be taking mine to a local custom shop and getting them stamped. Because I want to.

:titelist-small: 913 D2 9.5° Diamana BlueBoard S+ 62g

:callaway-small: Diablo Octane Tour 15° Fujikura Motore F3 S-60

:callaway-small: Big Bertha Hawk Eye VFT 5W Callaway RCH-96

:mizuno-small: MP-22 HMB 19° N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120

:mizuno-small:  MP-55 4-PW N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 

:cleveland-small:  RTX-3 RAW 54.8 DGS400

:cleveland-small:  RTX-3 RAW 60.6 DGS400

:cameron-small:  Studio Style Newport 2.5

:titelist-small:  ProV1

Really good looking wedges! The last year or so I've been gaming non-confirming wedges bug prior to that had Cleveland 588 wedges. Excited about the options that Cleveland have with these - especially if they offer them at lower lofts to integrate more fully into an iron set. Exciting!

I got the Demo these yesterday,  These will replace my SM5's

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I just picked up a 50* and 54* mid-bounce (on order), black finish, cavity back set.  I haven't taken them to the course yet, but in the all important "chipping in the living room test", the 50* performed well!

I did hit the 50* in the simulator, and while the distance was a little less than expected, the dispersion was incredible.  Each shot landed on top of the other.  I am really hoping to see anything close to that on the course.  Full wedge shots is not a strong part of my game, so hitting greens (and maybe close) with them will really improve my score.  We'll see...

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

Archived