TESTERS WANTED! ×

What type of wedge

Scoot24

I golfed many years ago but took about 20 years off. I got back into it about 3 years ago due to a bad hip and not being able to play other sports requiring running etc. I am 6'5" and was fitted for clubs last year. I was told that everything I needed was pretty standard with the exception of needing +1" club length. I wanted to keep the cost down on this first set of clubs so I purchased a set of Adams Speedline because they came in +1" out of the box. My plan after golfing for a couple more years is to get fitted again and get a custom set. I just didn't want to invest in a set while in learning mode (not that I'll ever stop learning). My handicap since starting to use the clubs last year has gone from +20 to 11.3.

With all that being said. I need to add a gap or lob wedge to my bag and I'm not sure what to get. I am pretty good with my PW from 100-50 yards but need something when I get closer. My research has left me confused with things like bounce, grind, loft etc. I am leaning towards a 58 or 60 degree but the rest has me baffled. Help!

Driver: Taylor Made SLDR

Irons: Taylor Made RSi2 4-PW

Hybrids: Adams Tight Lies 3 and 5

Putter: Taylor Made Spyder

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 50, 56, 60

What's the loft of your PW?

I've heard numerous things (and it all comes down to personal preference) but a lot of people suggest 4 degrees of difference between wedges - 50/54/58; 52/56/60 - if you carry 3 wedges.

You can also carry 2 wedges with a bit more loft between them - 52/58

The bounce depends on the course conditions you play on - soft, hard, a mix??

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

My wedges are each gapped 4 degrees. 48, 52, 56, 60. Works for me. As or other features I can't really say. However, there are many guys around here that know a lot about grinds, bounce, etc. Some are even club fitters. MmmmBuddy is one I believe.

My wedges are pretty versatile I think. I play most of my golf off Bermuda.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

My wedges are each gapped 4 degrees. 48, 52, 56, 60. Works for me. As or other features I can't really say. However, there are many guys around here that know a lot about grinds, bounce, etc. Some are even club fitters. MmmmBuddy is one I believe.

My wedges are pretty versatile I think. I play most of my golf off Bermuda.

My set-up is pretty much the same as PlaidJacket, 4 degrees between clubs.  The 48 is from the set of irons, the rest were purpose-bought.  I bought the 56 with more bounce (12 degrees, if I remember right) than the others, as that's my primary sand club.  The 52 was my most recent purpose, to filla  distance gap between the 48 and 56.  A more old-style set-up would like strokerAce describes, adding something like 52 or 54,  and 58 or 60 to your set.  A lot of the selection depends on sand and turf conditions, your swing, and simple personal preference.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I had to go back and read about my wedges but they have a "zero" bounce grind in the heel allowing me to open the face without raising the leading edge. My fitter described this to me when I was fit. I'd just forgotten without reading Wishon's site. I recall my fitter asking about turf and sand conditions I normally play from. These were his recommendations and I agreed.

Aside from my 771csi PW my other wedges are all PCF Micro Tour w/ AeroTech i70r steel-fiber. Yes... they are sweet.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I golfed many years ago but took about 20 years off. I got back into it about 3 years ago due to a bad hip and not being able to play other sports requiring running etc. I am 6'5" and was fitted for clubs last year. I was told that everything I needed was pretty standard with the exception of needing +1" club length. I wanted to keep the cost down on this first set of clubs so I purchased a set of Adams Speedline because they came in +1" out of the box. My plan after golfing for a couple more years is to get fitted again and get a custom set. I just didn't want to invest in a set while in learning mode (not that I'll ever stop learning). My handicap since starting to use the clubs last year has gone from +20 to 11.3.

With all that being said. I need to add a gap or lob wedge to my bag and I'm not sure what to get. I am pretty good with my PW from 100-50 yards but need something when I get closer. My research has left me confused with things like bounce, grind, loft etc. I am leaning towards a 58 or 60 degree but the rest has me baffled. Help!

If the highest lofted wedge that you currently have in the bag is a Pw, it is very important that you find a wedge of at least 54° of loft and put that in play immediately. The bounce and grind thing we can talk about later. But getting a higher lofted wedge in there is sooooo important.  54-56 degrees, and the same +1 inch as your iron set.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I actually have a 45 PW and a 56 sand wedge. I find the sand wedge a little heavy for hitting off the turf. Most of the courses I play on have a hard surface but I want to have some flexibility because living as far north as I do the courses start the year soft and harden up as the season goes on. I guess what I'm looking for is something middle of the road. I also get a lot of loft out of my shots.

Thanks for the replies.

I actually have a 45 PW and a 56 sand wedge. I find the sand wedge a little heavy for hitting off the turf. Most of the courses I play on have a hard surface but I want to have some flexibility because living as far north as I do the courses start the year soft and harden up as the season goes on. I guess what I'm looking for is something middle of the road. I also get a lot of loft out of my shots.

Thanks for the replies.

Well you should be able to get plenty of loft out of a 56 degree sandwedge - so maybe that club just isn't the right bounce for you.

Based on your current gapping it definitely sounds like you would benefit from a 50 degree AW to fill the gap between you PW and SW.  If you want to experiment with a LW, you can find a 60 degree wedge for cheap on ebay or callaway preowned and experiment.

How many clubs are you currently carrying?

I've been looking at pair of left over Taylor Made 54* and 58* R Series Tour Grind wedges to get started. The price is pretty good. would these be a good start?  

I currently have 13 clubs in my bag. I think I will take your advise and buy and inexpensive used 60* and maybe a 52* and see how that goes. Straight drives and my irons inside of 150  are the best part of my game. now I'm just looking for a little more accuracy close to the green. 

I currently have 13 clubs in my bag. I think I will take your advise and buy and inexpensive used 60* and maybe a 52* and see how that goes. Straight drives and my irons inside of 150  are the best part of my game. now I'm just looking for a little more accuracy close to the green. 

For a gap wedge I would error a little closer to your PW than your SW with 50*.  Even finding a set gap wedge to match your irons would be ideal.

I see you have Adams Speedline irons, so perhaps getting the set GW would be a great idea and then go with a 60* lob wedge of your choosing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adams-Speedline-Plus-Gap-Wedge-Steel-Uniflex-GW-Golf-Club-NEW-/131882106001?hash=item1eb4c93c91:g:qBMAAOSwayZXjZ3c 

General rule would be since your 56 has lots of bounce (what you are describing as heavy) make sure the 52 and 60 that you pick up don't. That's a great way to create versatility. Vary the bounces on your wedges. It's what I did prior to gaming SCORs but not everyone loves them and I don't want to muddy the waters for you.

Let us know how it turns out. Where do you live in New York? I went to college in Ithaca after a stint in Chicago.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks for the replies.

I am quite familiar with changing course conditions throughout the year having lived with this phenomenon my entire life. I know several players around here that have 2 sets of wedges, one for hard summer conditions, and one for soft winter conditions.  Doesn't sound like this is quite the correct option for you at this juncture..   ;)

Deciding on the types of shots that you like to play, and the shots that you feel like you are missing and unable to play because of your wedges, will help with some more in-depth recommendations...

good luck!!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I currently have 13 clubs in my bag. I think I will take your advise and buy and inexpensive used 60* and maybe a 52* and see how that goes. Straight drives and my irons inside of 150 are the best part of my game. now I'm just looking for a little more accuracy close to the green.

Just my thoughts.

60 wedges don't do well in hard turf. They like the soft turf lol

Good luck

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Just my thoughts.

Good luck

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Unless your're Phil!  I only really use my 60 degree around the greens and out of greenside bunkers. Rarely if ever take a full swing with my 60, especially from the fairway.

I have to say the SS sole on the glide wedges is perhaps the most simple yet versatile wedge grind ive ever played with.  Bounce is my friend

Just my thoughts.

Good luck

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

My 58 SCOR does well on hard turf.  I don't ever take a full swing; usually half to 3/4 shots.  Works well in bunkers close to the green because sand is fairly firm too.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Most fairways in our area are to hard and since I nip the ball (most times) I sometimes skull it lol

My 56 is the work horse of my wedges from any lie inside 50 yds.

Tazz

Unless your're Phil! I only really use my 60 degree around the greens and out of greenside bunkers. Rarely if ever take a full swing with my 60, especially from the fairway.

I have to say the SS sole on the glide wedges is perhaps the most simple yet versatile wedge grind ive ever played with. Bounce is my friend

My 58 SCOR does well on hard turf. I don't ever take a full swing; usually half to 3/4 shots. Works well in bunkers close to the green because sand is fairly firm too.

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Thanks for the replies.

As others have said, your SW feels heavy likely because it has too much bounce. If you are in doubt, I would recommend you check out the Hogan wedges (formerly SCOR), which numerous people on here play. The whole Koehler philosophy is that you can't fit bounce and grind anyway so he created the V-sole on all his wedges. It definitely simplifies things and would be a great wedge to check out. Also consider the degree gapping suggestions that others in the thread have already pointed out.

PS - hard, soft, from anywhere, my 60* is my magic wand

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Most fairways in our area are to hard and since I nip the ball (most times) I sometimes skull it lol

My 56 is the work horse of my wedges from any lie inside 50 yds.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Most courses here in the desert are very firm.  Easy to pinch the ball.  I still see big deep divots, but I don't see how people do that.  I'm a sweeper, not  digger, but if I tried to take a divot like that I'd end up in the hospital.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I live in the northeast corner of the state. I've been to Ithaca College a few times because my son played college basketball and that was one of his stops. Beautiful town but windy up on the hill in the winter.

Thanks for the information on bounce. I'm an athlete and golf is my new passion. I've cut almost 10 strokes off my handicap in the last year since getting clubs that fit and more serious about the fundamentals and not just hitting the ball. I golf with a few older

I'm a sweeper also. I get very good loft on my irons and PW but, as you can imagine, distance is becoming an issue closer to the green.

Thanks for the help. 

Thank you that is very helpful. I'm leaning towards a 60* with low bounce.

Loft isn't the problem. The problem with me lies in the fact that the SW is heavy making it harder to control on short pitches near the green. Thank you for you help.

I had to go back and read about my wedges but they have a "zero" bounce grind in the heel allowing me to open the face without raising the leading edge. My fitter described this to me when I was fit. I'd just forgotten without reading Wishon's site. I recall my fitter asking about turf and sand conditions I normally play from. These were his recommendations and I agreed.

Aside from my 771csi PW my other wedges are all PCF Micro Tour w/ AeroTech i70r steel-fiber. Yes... they are sweet.

That was one of the problems I had with the PCF wedges when I was experimenting with them I never could get the weight right for me either. Went through the shaft changes too. My buddy Bo Bear has those wedges and loves them

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Actually everyone on here has given good alternatives and I will add one more. The Renegar Wedges like I tested here for MGS are a great versitile wedge with their sole design. You can play them in different conditions and they have a variation of bounce or no bounce built in. I am not gaming mine now but they are on the side burner. For some reason I ended up with a mental block and just trust my old 588 Clevelands that I have played for years

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

If you play courses with different ground conditions, I highly suggest that you take a look at the SCOR wedges, or the newer TK15 Hogan wedges.  Both are designed with a "V-Sole" that allows for multiple ground conditions.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

The wedge that I prefer is the Mack Daddy from Callaway and is a 54 degree loft and is good around 75 to 100 yards from the green.  It has a bounce of 11 with a tour grind, which means it has a relatively high bounce rate.  Once you get below an 8 you are considered to have a low bounce rate.  Since you are coming back to the game I would recommend a high bounce for you to get the ball up in air and land a little softer on the green.  The second club I would recommend is the Mack Daddy 60 degree wedge and it is good from 50 yards and in.  It has a bounce of 9, which will give you more control around the greens.  I hope this information is helpful.

Mike 

• 2 weeks later...

If your still going through the decision process and are interested in trying out the SCOR type of wedges, that have been mentioned in this thread,which are now the Hogan TK wedges BenHogangolf.com is offering a 21 day trail for the cost of shipping (think it like $19.95). Cheap way to get a true feel of them out on the course...and if you want used SCOR wedges I've seen them on can on eBay and at the PGA Superstores.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 w/Grafalloy 65 Pro-Launch Blue Shaft R-Flex

3W: Titleist 915 w/Diamana S+ Blue 70 R-Flex

4 Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 20* w/iRod 75 F3R-Flex

5Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 24* w/iRod 75 F3R-Flex

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 28*, 32*, 36*, 40* UST Mamiya Recoil 660 F3R-Flex

Wedges: Ben Hogan Ft Worth 44*, TK 48*, 52*, 56*, 60* UST Mamiya Recoil 660 F3R

Putter: Scotty Cameron GOLO 5 Dual Balance

A little late to this discussion.

And not to muddy the waters for Scoot. But my short game has never been better than this year and it coincides with me putting the Titleist SM6's into play. I have a 3 wedge,4 degree separation beginning with a 50*

They have several bounce and multiple grind options. I find the F and M to be the most versatile and I have the K grind in the 58 degree.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Archived