Our Sponsors

I golfed many years ago but took about 20 years off. I got back into it about 3 years ago due to a bad hip and not being able to play other sports requiring running etc. I am 6'5" and was fitted for clubs last year. I was told that everything I needed was pretty standard with the exception of needing +1" club length. I wanted to keep the cost down on this first set of clubs so I purchased a set of Adams Speedline because they came in +1" out of the box. My plan after golfing for a couple more years is to get fitted again and get a custom set. I just didn't want to invest in a set while in learning mode (not that I'll ever stop learning). My handicap since starting to use the clubs last year has gone from +20 to 11.3.

With all that being said. I need to add a gap or lob wedge to my bag and I'm not sure what to get. I am pretty good with my PW from 100-50 yards but need something when I get closer. My research has left me confused with things like bounce, grind, loft etc. I am leaning towards a 58 or 60 degree but the rest has me baffled. Help!

• Like 1

Driver: Taylor Made SLDR

Irons: Taylor Made RSi2 4-PW

Hybrids: Adams Tight Lies 3 and 5

Putter: Taylor Made Spyder

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 50, 56, 60

What's the loft of your PW?

I've heard numerous things (and it all comes down to personal preference) but a lot of people suggest 4 degrees of difference between wedges - 50/54/58; 52/56/60 - if you carry 3 wedges.

You can also carry 2 wedges with a bit more loft between them - 52/58

The bounce depends on the course conditions you play on - soft, hard, a mix??

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | Bettinardi SS38 armlock

My wedges are each gapped 4 degrees. 48, 52, 56, 60. Works for me. As or other features I can't really say. However, there are many guys around here that know a lot about grinds, bounce, etc. Some are even club fitters. MmmmBuddy is one I believe.

My wedges are pretty versatile I think. I play most of my golf off Bermuda.

• Like 3

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

My wedges are each gapped 4 degrees. 48, 52, 56, 60. Works for me. As or other features I can't really say. However, there are many guys around here that know a lot about grinds, bounce, etc. Some are even club fitters. MmmmBuddy is one I believe.

My wedges are pretty versatile I think. I play most of my golf off Bermuda.

My set-up is pretty much the same as PlaidJacket, 4 degrees between clubs.  The 48 is from the set of irons, the rest were purpose-bought.  I bought the 56 with more bounce (12 degrees, if I remember right) than the others, as that's my primary sand club.  The 52 was my most recent purpose, to filla  distance gap between the 48 and 56.  A more old-style set-up would like strokerAce describes, adding something like 52 or 54,  and 58 or 60 to your set.  A lot of the selection depends on sand and turf conditions, your swing, and simple personal preference.

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I had to go back and read about my wedges but they have a "zero" bounce grind in the heel allowing me to open the face without raising the leading edge. My fitter described this to me when I was fit. I'd just forgotten without reading Wishon's site. I recall my fitter asking about turf and sand conditions I normally play from. These were his recommendations and I agreed.

Aside from my 771csi PW my other wedges are all PCF Micro Tour w/ AeroTech i70r steel-fiber. Yes... they are sweet.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I golfed many years ago but took about 20 years off. I got back into it about 3 years ago due to a bad hip and not being able to play other sports requiring running etc. I am 6'5" and was fitted for clubs last year. I was told that everything I needed was pretty standard with the exception of needing +1" club length. I wanted to keep the cost down on this first set of clubs so I purchased a set of Adams Speedline because they came in +1" out of the box. My plan after golfing for a couple more years is to get fitted again and get a custom set. I just didn't want to invest in a set while in learning mode (not that I'll ever stop learning). My handicap since starting to use the clubs last year has gone from +20 to 11.3.

With all that being said. I need to add a gap or lob wedge to my bag and I'm not sure what to get. I am pretty good with my PW from 100-50 yards but need something when I get closer. My research has left me confused with things like bounce, grind, loft etc. I am leaning towards a 58 or 60 degree but the rest has me baffled. Help!

If the highest lofted wedge that you currently have in the bag is a Pw, it is very important that you find a wedge of at least 54° of loft and put that in play immediately. The bounce and grind thing we can talk about later. But getting a higher lofted wedge in there is sooooo important.  54-56 degrees, and the same +1 inch as your iron set.

Driver -   :srixon-small: ZX 7 9.5° Ventus VeloCore Blue S
Fairway -  Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

Fairway - Tour Edge Exotics CB2 18° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

I actually have a 45 PW and a 56 sand wedge. I find the sand wedge a little heavy for hitting off the turf. Most of the courses I play on have a hard surface but I want to have some flexibility because living as far north as I do the courses start the year soft and harden up as the season goes on. I guess what I'm looking for is something middle of the road. I also get a lot of loft out of my shots.

Thanks for the replies.

I actually have a 45 PW and a 56 sand wedge. I find the sand wedge a little heavy for hitting off the turf. Most of the courses I play on have a hard surface but I want to have some flexibility because living as far north as I do the courses start the year soft and harden up as the season goes on. I guess what I'm looking for is something middle of the road. I also get a lot of loft out of my shots.

Thanks for the replies.

Well you should be able to get plenty of loft out of a 56 degree sandwedge - so maybe that club just isn't the right bounce for you.

Based on your current gapping it definitely sounds like you would benefit from a 50 degree AW to fill the gap between you PW and SW.  If you want to experiment with a LW, you can find a 60 degree wedge for cheap on ebay or callaway preowned and experiment.

How many clubs are you currently carrying?

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1

I've been looking at pair of left over Taylor Made 54* and 58* R Series Tour Grind wedges to get started. The price is pretty good. would these be a good start?  

• Like 1

I currently have 13 clubs in my bag. I think I will take your advise and buy and inexpensive used 60* and maybe a 52* and see how that goes. Straight drives and my irons inside of 150  are the best part of my game. now I'm just looking for a little more accuracy close to the green. 

• Like 1

I currently have 13 clubs in my bag. I think I will take your advise and buy and inexpensive used 60* and maybe a 52* and see how that goes. Straight drives and my irons inside of 150  are the best part of my game. now I'm just looking for a little more accuracy close to the green. 

For a gap wedge I would error a little closer to your PW than your SW with 50*.  Even finding a set gap wedge to match your irons would be ideal.

I see you have Adams Speedline irons, so perhaps getting the set GW would be a great idea and then go with a 60* lob wedge of your choosing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adams-Speedline-Plus-Gap-Wedge-Steel-Uniflex-GW-Golf-Club-NEW-/131882106001?hash=item1eb4c93c91:g:qBMAAOSwayZXjZ3c 

• Like 1

Taylormade ATV wedge would be a great choice for your lob wedge.  Very versatile and wont break the bank.  If you like it, you could always get a 54 or 56 degree to replace your SW

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-TP-ATV-Wedge-ARP-/311660679755?var=&hash=item48906c924b:m:mydU4bvXsjHXbhFY7oPNZlA

• Like 1

General rule would be since your 56 has lots of bounce (what you are describing as heavy) make sure the 52 and 60 that you pick up don't. That's a great way to create versatility. Vary the bounces on your wedges. It's what I did prior to gaming SCORs but not everyone loves them and I don't want to muddy the waters for you.

Let us know how it turns out. Where do you live in New York? I went to college in Ithaca after a stint in Chicago.

• Like 2

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Thanks for the replies.

I am quite familiar with changing course conditions throughout the year having lived with this phenomenon my entire life. I know several players around here that have 2 sets of wedges, one for hard summer conditions, and one for soft winter conditions.  Doesn't sound like this is quite the correct option for you at this juncture..   ;)

Deciding on the types of shots that you like to play, and the shots that you feel like you are missing and unable to play because of your wedges, will help with some more in-depth recommendations...

good luck!!

Driver -   :srixon-small: ZX 7 9.5° Ventus VeloCore Blue S
Fairway -  Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

Fairway - Tour Edge Exotics CB2 18° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

I currently have 13 clubs in my bag. I think I will take your advise and buy and inexpensive used 60* and maybe a 52* and see how that goes. Straight drives and my irons inside of 150 are the best part of my game. now I'm just looking for a little more accuracy close to the green.

Just my thoughts.

60 wedges don't do well in hard turf. They like the soft turf lol

Good luck

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

• Like 1
         Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Just my thoughts.

Good luck

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Unless your're Phil!  I only really use my 60 degree around the greens and out of greenside bunkers. Rarely if ever take a full swing with my 60, especially from the fairway.

I have to say the SS sole on the glide wedges is perhaps the most simple yet versatile wedge grind ive ever played with.  Bounce is my friend

• Like 1

Just my thoughts.

Good luck

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

My 58 SCOR does well on hard turf.  I don't ever take a full swing; usually half to 3/4 shots.  Works well in bunkers close to the green because sand is fairly firm too.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Most fairways in our area are to hard and since I nip the ball (most times) I sometimes skull it lol

My 56 is the work horse of my wedges from any lie inside 50 yds.

Tazz

Unless your're Phil! I only really use my 60 degree around the greens and out of greenside bunkers. Rarely if ever take a full swing with my 60, especially from the fairway.

I have to say the SS sole on the glide wedges is perhaps the most simple yet versatile wedge grind ive ever played with. Bounce is my friend

My 58 SCOR does well on hard turf. I don't ever take a full swing; usually half to 3/4 shots. Works well in bunkers close to the green because sand is fairly firm too.

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

• Like 2
         Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Thanks for the replies.

As others have said, your SW feels heavy likely because it has too much bounce. If you are in doubt, I would recommend you check out the Hogan wedges (formerly SCOR), which numerous people on here play. The whole Koehler philosophy is that you can't fit bounce and grind anyway so he created the V-sole on all his wedges. It definitely simplifies things and would be a great wedge to check out. Also consider the degree gapping suggestions that others in the thread have already pointed out.

PS - hard, soft, from anywhere, my 60* is my magic wand

• Like 2

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Most fairways in our area are to hard and since I nip the ball (most times) I sometimes skull it lol

My 56 is the work horse of my wedges from any lie inside 50 yds.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Most courses here in the desert are very firm.  Easy to pinch the ball.  I still see big deep divots, but I don't see how people do that.  I'm a sweeper, not  digger, but if I tried to take a divot like that I'd end up in the hospital.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”