Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

gripping the putter

Hey guys... having some inconsistency on the greens lately and considering switching from my standard putting grip to the claw/pencil style.

Tried the left-hand-low style but I can't get the feel down using that method.

Anyone switch to claw/pencil grip with some tips/tricks to share?  One thing I read is that you need to move the ball back a smidge if you do it...

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I have had times where I struggled putting conventionally. I would usually make the switch to left hand low and after a few rounds go back to conventional. Sometimes you just need to switch it up and shock your mental focus. whether that is pencil or claw, that is up to you. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

There is absolutely no way I could ever putt left hand low.  It just feels so odd to me that it becomes the focus of my stroke and I can't putt the ball on the line I want.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

have you tried a different conventional grip? Geoff Mangum recommends the "two pistoleros" grip as opposed to the "left index finger on top of right hand - reverse overlap" grip. The "two pistoleros" grip puts the entire left hand on the shaft which I find gives a little more feel. Mangum is all about having the left side control the put, so having the whole left hand on the club is key for him. Also Two Pistoleros is a lot more fun to say than reverse overlap or the even more cumbersome "left hand low". That alone should improve your putting. Then when you sink the putt you say "Choke on that baby! Waboom! Shoota!"

two pistoleros

Screenshot 2016-07-27 19.31.54.png

reverse overlap

Screenshot 2016-07-27 19.31.36.png

Shoota

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 

ROTFLMAO!!!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I will putt conventional on everything that is outside 10 feetish, and I will put right hand low on putts inside the 10 foot mark I have better feel for distance for the longer putts but for the shorter putts right hand low helps me start the ball on the correct line

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I actually use an interlocking grip to putt with - It has been so effective that I can actually remember the first time that I tried it - On the first green at Town and Country Golf course in Sheboygan WI in the Fall of 2005.  I had been putting like you know what and thought what the heck.  I have never looked back.

Don't even begin to ask me why it works though. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As long as I have played I have used the same grip on my putter as on my regular clubs which is the overlap.

In the last few years I had putting woes which was an eye alignment problem. Lately I had been getting shakey over any thing under 6 feet. Those used to be automatic for me. Found out some of it is age and my BP meds.

I tried the left hand low and I felt bound up with it because I have always forward pressed and could not do so left hand low. I basically have always had the same putting stroke as Mickelson. So I tried the claw suddenly the putter felt good in my hands again. I also had a 2.0 SS on a putter I found in the pile and so I took it off that putter and put it on the Santa Fe I also had to add 8 grams of lead tape to the bottom to balance it out. Overall it feels great. I had practiced it for 2 weeks and put it to the test on my course in play last Saturday. It works did not miss anything under 6 feet and I can get aggressive again on the longer putts because I no longer fear the comeback

As I have preached for years you have to find a grip style that lets you be tension free and comfortable over the ball because tension anywhere in golf is no good especially putting.

As far as stance change I did not have to change a bit because I am left eye dominant anyhow and I line up with my left eye over the ball but everyone sees different so that may be a change you have to make

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

As long as I have played I have used the same grip on my putter as on my regular clubs which is the overlap.

My coach said to use any grip I want, as long as it was NOT the same grip as on the other clubs.  Never thought about it, because that grip never felt good on the putter anyway.

I grip the putter with my left hand (I'm RH) with my index finger down the side of the grip facing the target.  My right hand palm goes on the grip and I grip my left index finger and grip with the fingers of my right hand.  Thats why I don't use a fat grip.  My eyes are directly over the ball and I use a forward press and SBST pendulum stroke... looking at the hole.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Get Stockton's Unconscious Putting. The book changed (simplified) my entire approach to putting and made it less mechanical. Such a great book

Yes! I agree fantastic book

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

II would also recommend Geoff Magnum. He takes the few chapters talking about brain science but the middle of the book about the gravity stroke is intuitive and dead simple.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Thanks for the tips guys... and the book recommendations!  I need something to read at the beach on vacation.   B)

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

There is absolutely no way I could ever putt left hand low.  It just feels so odd to me that it becomes the focus of my stroke and I can't putt the ball on the line I want.

That's pretty much how it feels for me.

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

I use the same interlock grip that I use with my clubs, but I have the index finger of my right hand point down along the grip.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Get Stockton's Unconscious Putting. The book changed (simplified) my entire approach to putting and made it less mechanical. Such a great book

Absolutely good book--- I am a big student and proponent of Stockton--- Another name for unconscious putting is instinct putting which I have done all my playing days

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

have you tried a different conventional grip? Geoff Mangum recommends the "two pistoleros" grip as opposed to the "left index finger on top of right hand - reverse overlap" grip. The "two pistoleros" grip puts the entire left hand on the shaft which I find gives a little more feel. Mangum is all about having the left side control the put, so having the whole left hand on the club is key for him. Also Two Pistoleros is a lot more fun to say than reverse overlap or the even more cumbersome "left hand low". That alone should improve your putting. Then when you sink the putt you say "Choke on that baby! Waboom! Shoota!"

two pistoleros

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2016-07-27 19.31.54.png

reverse overlap

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2016-07-27 19.31.36.png

Shoota

Gave the 'ol "pistoleros" a try today and gotta say... I was shooting em down!  Much better than I've putted in quite a while!

Thanks for the tip.  :)

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I actually use an interlocking grip to putt with - It has been so effective that I can actually remember the first time that I tried it - On the first green at Town and Country Golf course in Sheboygan WI in the Fall of 2005.  I had been putting like you know what and thought what the heck.  I have never looked back.

Don't even begin to ask me why it works though. :)

Well, intrigued by this post (and I never noticed your putter grip in our rounds together), I tried the interlocking grip today, with no prior practice other than the pre round warm up. I dare to say, I will be remembering the day, first round back after two months injury hiatus. Wow, worked great! Had to work out trying to get a firm, solid grip (even though I have a superstroke oversize), eventually starting keeping my glove on, helped a lot. Overall, when I made a solid stroke, the putt went exactly where I wanted it to. Made a months worth of 10-20 ft putts today.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I think it does what all good putter grips do, it inhibits wrist action. I still struggled with that today and hence the strokes had putting for me.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think it does what all good putter grips do, it inhibits wrist action. I still struggled with that today and hence the strokes had putting for me.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Guess it takes more than 10 minutes practice to master this grip. Yesterday's round, after putting well on the first three holes, all of a sudden couldn't putt worth s**t. Distance, direction were all off, lost the feel. Couple of good putts on last two holes, but overall ugh. I'm not giving up yet, 'cause Tuesday's round was so good with it.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Archived